Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Saw a bunch of talk here about a released dlc which means they might have done some bug fixing, can anyone tell me if they fixed demons souls not being on the ps4 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Your Computer posted:

Is there a way to cheese the Crystal Sage?

I'm trying to figure out how quickly I can get to the DLC on a fresh character :madmax:

Clones are the ones using blue magic, the original one is using purple spells. Run at him and hit with a fast and high damage weapon (best one at this time of the game is probably a raw astora straight sword with lightning resin).

If the clones are giving you trouble equip some throwing knives, they're fast and only need one hit to make a clone disappear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Saw a bunch of talk here about a released dlc which means they might have done some bug fixing, can anyone tell me if they fixed demons souls not being on the ps4 yet?

how do you feel about playstation now

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Manatee Cannon posted:

dark souls 2 hosed over magic users long before the dlc was released, and they continued to do it afterwards. that doesn't matter for why people like the dlc. they liked it because the areas were better than the old areas. in fact, all of the previous souls dlc has been a step up from the base games. the areas in the ds3 dlc are good but they're not better than what's in the base game

Hahahaha no it didn't there were so many magic build viable for DS2 it was amazing.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I just realized why I like the Onyx Sword so much; I spent the vast majority of my time using a Dark Claymore with Dark Weapon applied in DS2. It's basically the same thing with an even better moveset! All I need is dark orb to replace great chaos fire orb and it'll be there.

pyros can use great deep soul just fine, which is basically this games dark orb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Hahahaha no it didn't there were so many magic build viable for DS2 it was amazing.

you might not actually remember the patch cycle for dark souls 2, but they nerfed every form of magic across the entire patch cycle of the game. they started off insanely good (especially faith) and were dropped from there (especially faith)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Deified Data posted:

Same with all Warcry weapons. The damage buff more or less makes up for that.

Weird I guess I just never tried since all of my warcry weapons have been with my strength character and this was an attempt at using the axe as "sharp" and magic buffed.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure why anyone would use Frozen Weapon when Crystal already exists. It just seems like a worse version and as far as I know there's nothing that's super weak to frost.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iretep posted:

pyros can use great deep soul just fine, which is basically this games dark orb.

I never actually got it, I should go wrap up the covenant rank.

quote:

Speaking of which, I'm not sure why anyone would use Frozen Weapon when Crystal already exists. It just seems like a worse version and as far as I know there's nothing that's super weak to frost.

Frostbite is a remarkably unthreatening ailment.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Azuth0667 posted:

nerfed in this case doesn't mean that being a spell caster was rendered completely non-viable, it just means that their overall power levels dropped from SSJ Goku to Goku while fighting Napa and Vegeta. casters were still powerful, but not completely game trivializing. except faith builds, those got dropped from SSJ4 Goku to regular Dragonball Kid Goku levels.

the DS2 DLC "hosed over" casters because IIRC the innate elemental resistances for all of the DLC monsters got jacked through the roof, so you couldn't just spam dark orb and win the game.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you might not actually remember the patch cycle for dark souls 2, but they nerfed every form of magic across the entire patch cycle of the game. they started off insanely good (especially faith) and were dropped from there (especially faith)

No I remember I started with a faith guy and nuked the game then they nerfed everything so I went hexer and nuked the game again. I got bored hexing things so I tried pyro+dex and it was hilarious throwing hail Mary hidden suns for a victory. Sorcery was amazing in PVE too and amazing in PVP as soon as Ivory King hit. I miss that spell casting rapier.

E:

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nerfed in this case doesn't mean that being a spell caster was rendered completely non-viable, it just means that their overall power levels dropped from SSJ Goku to Goku while fighting Napa and Vegeta. casters were still powerful, but not completely game trivializing. except faith builds, those got dropped from SSJ4 Goku to regular Dragonball Kid Goku levels.

the DS2 DLC "hosed over" casters because IIRC the innate elemental resistances for all of the DLC monsters got jacked through the roof, so you couldn't just spam dark orb and win the game.

I think it brought them in line with other builds and was a good thing to happen. The only rear end thing that really bothered me was as you said DLC enemies having stupidly high resists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't imagine trying to do a faith build relying on your whopping two lightning spear casts in DS2 post-patch. Especially when a single swing of your hanzo steel does more damage faster for less effort. I still remember respeccing to dex after having a mage build; one swipe of the katana took 99% of the other guy's health off lmao.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't imagine trying to do a faith build relying on your whopping two lightning spear casts in DS2 post-patch.

It was all about the mace and being a true cleric while you buffed up your attunement :getin:.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azuth0667 posted:

It was all about the mace and being a true cleric while you buffed up your attunement :getin:.

Pyromancy never really got affected did it? After the patch ran sorcery into the ground (and hexes that weren't Dark Orb), I just used Dark Orb and Weapon, Great Heal, Soul Greatsword and Firestorm, and the previously mentioned claymore and the Roaring Halberd.

Really it was just mostly the offensive magic, hexes and miracles that got useless (and resonant weapon, which was totally useless). Buffs and healing were still perfectly fine.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 26, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Your Computer posted:

How garbage would the Onyx Blade be for a mostly melee-focused character?

I'm... I'm asking for fashion.

It has pretty good base damage and the buff on top of that, and from what I've seen if you actually pump faith and int it ends up with very comparable damage to a 40/40 greatsword when buffed.

Your Computer posted:

Hnnnggghhhhhh the Crow Talons are so much fun :tviv:

They look sweet, the animations are sweet, they deal good damage and the moveset versatility is amazing. Two combos, a strong attack, a super attack, two rolling attacks, two running attacks, two backstep attacks, a jumping attack. They feel really good to use. This is gonna be a fun playthrough!

I'm incredibly pleased that they added 2 weapons which are worth using as a straight dex build even if the crow quills are almost certainly 'better'

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Pyromancy never really got affected did it? After the patch ran sorcery into the ground (and hexes that weren't Dark Orb), I just used Dark Orb and Weapon, Great Heal, Soul Greatsword and Firestorm, and the previously mentioned claymore and the Roaring Halberd.

Really it was just mostly the offensive magic, hexes and miracles that got useless (and resonant weapon, which was totally useless). Buffs and healing were still perfectly fine.

Pyromancy was pretty much always good, faith ate the biggest nerf and hexes ate a substantial nerf when they hit the abyss covenant ring.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lightning Spear and its ilk suck, but Heavenly Thunder, Soul Appease, and Blinding Bolt are all fairly strong spells. It's a far sight better than DS3, at the least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The way of white corona is mostly useless in pvp, but seems like it'd be really good with the right talisman in pve for crowd control. You can keep multiple of them out at once too, so at the least you can use it for zoning against players. It's fun but kind of weak.

e: And I DO miss the little white circles to see where other players cast miracles to make your own imperceptibly better drat it

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just had flashbacks to The Old Hunters and how many rad as gently caress areas and bosses and weapons were in it and got a little sad.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Vermain posted:

Lightning Spear and its ilk suck, but Heavenly Thunder, Soul Appease, and Blinding Bolt are all fairly strong spells. It's a far sight better than DS3, at the least.

Yeah they were heavenly thunder was really good. I was not a fan of blinding bolt though and it is worlds better than DS3s whole magic system.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

yea it was just the offensive stuff that got the axe

a lighting weapon was enough to easily chump anything, even the dlc enemies, but lol at the idea of relying on lightning spear as more than chip damage/a finisher. the dlc actually added some of the best support magic stuff even

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Heres a good dark souls 2 spell for you all: soul bolt

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Now I want them to release a GOTY trilogy version that has HD remakes and pc optimization for all three games.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Now I want them to release a GOTY trilogy version that has HD remakes and pc optimization for all three games.

That's more-or-less what SotFS is for DS2, although the game ran just great out of the box, anyways. I'm sure they'll revisit DS1 with an HD remake a few years down the line.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
One of these days we'll get a Demon's Souls HD with that restored 6th archstone...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Yodzilla posted:

One of these days we'll get a Demon's Souls HD with that restored 6th archstone...

The Souls HD Collection will have this, but when you touch the 6th archstone it just loads up DS1 :getin:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The 6th archstone is a remake of King's Field.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Yodzilla posted:

if you check out places like cuttingroomfloor.com and look at the data mined from DeS for what would have been in world 6, it feels like it's better that they just cut it. from what data they could find, it looked like the whole world was just standard fantasy bearman/wolfman/animalperson/etc. which would have been inconsistent with the otherwise atonal, dreamlike, chtuhlhu-esqe aesthetic of the rest of the game

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Weird I guess I just never tried since all of my warcry weapons have been with my strength character and this was an attempt at using the axe as "sharp" and magic buffed.

Yeah, I ran into the same issue when I tried to make the Crescent Axe work for my faith build with Lightning Blade.

If you want to take advantage of warcry and your scaling stat you could always infuse.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you check out places like cuttingroomfloor.com and look at the data mined from DeS for what would have been in world 6, it feels like it's better that they just cut it. from what data they could find, it looked like the whole world was just standard fantasy bearman/wolfman/animalperson/etc. which would have been inconsistent with the otherwise atonal, dreamlike, chtuhlhu-esqe aesthetic of the rest of the game

Haha yeah I remember that. I mean who knows they could have made it work, Boletaria is fairly generic fantasy and I think it's a rad set of levels.

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, I ran into the same issue when I tried to make the Crescent Axe work for my faith build with Lightning Blade.

If you want to take advantage of warcry and your scaling stat you could always infuse.

Oh so warcry and a magic infusion would stack? The character is pumped full of dexterity and intelligence so that might work.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yep, I'm not sure if the Millwood Axe can be infused but it works for warcry weapons that can be.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Yodzilla posted:

Haha yeah I remember that. I mean who knows they could have made it work, Boletaria is fairly generic fantasy and I think it's a rad set of levels.

:shrug: I always felt like Boletaria was just the top of the rabbit hole, because even it has some really weird poo poo (especially in 1-1 with the execution area right off the initial archstone) but I also thought 1-2 and 1-3 were the least interesting levels because they are generic fantasy. the dragon bridge event in 1-2 is an awesome set piece, but it really is out of place with the rest of the weirdness in the game. I guess 4-1 is also mostly just skeletons and a busted castle, but worlds 2, 3, and 5 range from kind of creepy to loving unsettling.

I should probably just buy a PS4 for bloodborne because the entire tone of that game sounds like the best elements of the DeS aesthetic stretched to fill a whole game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MMF Freeway posted:

The Souls HD Collection will have this, but when you touch the 6th archstone Havel walks out and beats you down

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I've gravitated to a str faith build as I tend to, but I'm noticing builds I see online go full ham with 60 in stats. Is the soft cap less harsh in 3. Is trying to split between magic and melee Garbo?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I've gravitated to a str faith build as I tend to, but I'm noticing builds I see online go full ham with 60 in stats. Is the soft cap less harsh in 3. Is trying to split between magic and melee Garbo?

If you're aiming for a PvP level-cap meta, then you'll be trying to skate by with less HP/Stamina. If you aren't, then adding points in one isn't going to reduce the effectiveness of the other but unless you're a dedicated grinder you won't reach the levels to have that sort of build until well into NG+.

The only sort of builds I can think of that go to 60 in faith and aren't pure casters (pure faith casters are garbage) are high-level faith/dex builds that cast Darkmoon Blade on the Sellsword Twinblades, aka the Oroboro build.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah I'm 119 and was going to try out meta PvP. Pvpskills faith build video got me excited for zapping butts, but I wasn't interested in juggling pyromancies too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Heres a good dark souls 2 spell for you all: soul bolt

The upgraded version of that that you can get in the Sunken King DLC is legit amazing. Same spell but 4 rays instead of one. Enough tracking that you can hit surprisingly often in PVP with it, and it's easy to always hit enemies with it, and if you hit with all 4 rays it does ~800-1000. I miss Sorcerery from DS2 :(

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

What is the ds3 pvp sl sweetspot? I always thought it was 125 but ive been seeing stuff like 160 and 140 now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

3v3 arenas are hilarious because five people fall upon each other and the fifth just uses crystal soul spear or great chaos fire orb and gets a triple kill. I like that it has a period at the end too to run around and gesture at people. :allears:

Incidentally, I was player of the game. :toot:

I wonder what the level/weapon range, if any, is in the undead match?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I forget, Pyromancy soft-cap is 30/30 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

In the videos I was watching meta level was 120 and fire scaling soft cap was at 80 of int+faith.
But I don't know how good that info was.