Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah but I went for a walk with just my watch.

That'll learn me.

poo poo, I was pretty heavily owned on that snarky reply of mine. Yeah that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just realized something after about a month -- is there really no stock Notes app? What the gently caress. Hopefully either Evernote or OneNote support iCloud sync. I'm not terribly attached to Notes on any Apple device, but I do want muh notes.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

enojy posted:

I just realized something after about a month -- is there really no stock Notes app? What the gently caress. Hopefully either Evernote or OneNote support iCloud sync. I'm not terribly attached to Notes on any Apple device, but I do want muh notes.

OneNote supports native OneNote sync and rocks, it's even kind of useful on the watch

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Yeah but I went for a walk with just my watch.

That'll learn me.

Yeah, as nice as it is to walk around with just the watch and no phone, the watch is much faster but it still definitely cannot replace a phone. For better or worse.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, as nice as it is to walk around with just the watch and no phone, the watch is much faster but it still definitely cannot replace a phone. For better or worse.

Well the thing is that if my watch hadn't bluescreened it would have been perfectly fine as a phone replacement there. The lesson for me is just to carry the phone in case my watch reboots, but not because the watch isn't capable of doing the job :D

E: I mean as far as apple pay goes. The watch is for sure bad at other things that the phone does well.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

poo poo, I was pretty heavily owned on that snarky reply of mine. Yeah that sucks.

That's okay, that would have been my snarky reply to anyone too.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

enojy posted:

Drafts is good if you're only using text.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I actually love Google Keep for notes. I never hear anyone talk about it but it's super good, and fully on the cloud so you can take notes with your iPad Pro and then check them out later on your phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taima posted:

I actually love Google Keep for notes. I never hear anyone talk about it but it's super good, and fully on the cloud so you can take notes with your iPad Pro and then check them out later on your phone.
There's no Apple Watch app, which is what he's looking for.

And you can do this same thing with the stock Notes app, anyway.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Quick Sunday Autumn Funday shot:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So every now and then I find that my crown is difficult to turn (but easily clears up after a quarter turn or so). Is there some hardware braking that happens with the crown or is it likely to be lint or whatever? I have no real feel for which it could be. My band is a wide bund strap so it's not likely to be any crap that it picks up off my arm; I don't shower with the watch on so it's not likely to be water in the mechanism; the house is pretty clean so it could be lint or dust/dirt but I'd hope not.

Not really annoying, just curious. It always clears up with the slightest turn of the crown so whatever.

Also I should probably remember to buy applecare on this thing before it's too late.

e: Oh, according to Apple I have a free year of hardware coverage? I thought that was 90 days as well. Weird.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Spin it under warm running water. That's advice from official docs, even.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Will do, thanks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Regarding your edit, you have a free year of standard warranty if it breaks due to defect, but if you bust it, only AppleCare will help.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahh, ok. Well I was going to pick up AC anyway but that's definitely good to know. Thanks.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Does anyone have any experience with the color matching of third party apple link band clones from Amazon/ebay/etc? I had a stainless series 0 with a moko 4th gen clone that I loved before I replaced it with my space black series 2 and I'd like to get a link band again but one that also matches the color correctly.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Can anyone comment on playing audiobooks through bluetooth headphones with only a watch?

I'm thinking of picking one up, but in practical terms the only function I want is the ability to listen to books while running without having to lug my phone around. I know you can manually add audio files even though Audible still doesn't have a watch app (why...), but I'm wondering how seamless the controls are.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

tirinal posted:

Can anyone comment on playing audiobooks through bluetooth headphones with only a watch?

I'm thinking of picking one up, but in practical terms the only function I want is the ability to listen to books while running without having to lug my phone around. I know you can manually add audio files even though Audible still doesn't have a watch app (why...), but I'm wondering how seamless the controls are.

You can manually add files, but it'll be tedious and you won't get bookmarks or anything. I wouldn't expect you to try it longer than a week.

Nothing gets me more amped up to run than an audiobook narrator...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I think there maybe a work around to this.

When you manually add the files (you make a podcast or audiobook file into an MP3 and add it to a playlist to sync to your watch) you can right click and select the option that it will remember playback position. I used to do this to loooooong songs or spoken word albums. Not sure why it wouldn't work here.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

I think there maybe a work around to this.

When you manually add the files (you make a podcast or audiobook file into an MP3 and add it to a playlist to sync to your watch) you can right click and select the option that it will remember playback position. I used to do this to loooooong songs or spoken word albums. Not sure why it wouldn't work here.

Right, and/or I can use a file splitter to break an audiobook up into artificial chapters. In theory it should be fine once I convert Audible's DRM format into mp3, although hardly elegant.

I'll pick up a watch and trial run it, I suppose.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

I think our lord and savior Marco Armondo claims to be working on a vastly improved watch os3 version of his app that will allow syncing of podcasts, maybe an audio book can sneak in there?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is Marco the overcast guy? If so I will blow my load so far.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I think our lord and savior Marco Armondo claims to be working on a vastly improved watch os3 version of his app that will allow syncing of podcasts, maybe an audio book can sneak in there?

You'd have to subscribe to the app to get uploads.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is Marco the overcast guy? If so I will blow my load so far.
Yep.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
3.1 is public.

iMessage animations. Cool I guess.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What's the 3.1 build number?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's the 3.1 build number?

14s471

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Audiobook + watch trip report: it works. Badly, and you have to jury rig it with a file splitter and a lot of micromanaging, but it works. Hopefully somebody comes up with an app solution soon.

Unrelated question: Do you have to switch to water lock mode and do the obnoxious stereo water ejection pulse thing every time I'm about to shower, or is that more for actual water submersion? From what I gather series 0 didn't require it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

tirinal posted:

Audiobook + watch trip report: it works. Badly, and you have to jury rig it with a file splitter and a lot of micromanaging, but it works. Hopefully somebody comes up with an app solution soon.

Unrelated question: Do you have to switch to water lock mode and do the obnoxious stereo water ejection pulse thing every time I'm about to shower, or is that more for actual water submersion? From what I gather series 0 didn't require it.

Water lock mode just prevents screen presses "locks the screen", then of course it clears out the speaker.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Wtf my watch doesn't have an option to update to 3.1?

Edit: Ugh. Hard rebooted the watch and now the option showed up.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 26, 2016

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

For someone who switched back to iOS from Android, and used an Android Wear watch (Moto 360 v1, Sony SW3), how does the experience compare? I remember trying my SW3 with my iPhone 6 previously and the experience sucked, but I chalked that up to Wear on iOS.

I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a S0 on Swappa since they're now <$200. It'd mostly be used for reading/responding to iMessages, Siri, and seeing notifications. Any reason I shouldn't do it?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

JayKay posted:

For someone who switched back to iOS from Android, and used an Android Wear watch (Moto 360 v1, Sony SW3), how does the experience compare? I remember trying my SW3 with my iPhone 6 previously and the experience sucked, but I chalked that up to Wear on iOS.

I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a S0 on Swappa since they're now <$200. It'd mostly be used for reading/responding to iMessages, Siri, and seeing notifications. Any reason I shouldn't do it?

Have no experience with the Android stuff, but I think it might be well worth spending the extra money on a S1. It's just so much faster/nicer. The only S0 experience I have is with WatchOS2, and that was slow and lovely. By comparison, my current S1 is amazing.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Do NOT get a s0, it's trash.

Weekly update: only use the modular watch face, it offers much more data on your digital wrist computer. This is not a watch and no one cares what your poo poo pretend watch face looks like.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Modular is busy and ugly. Utility is easier at a glance.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Gunder posted:

Have no experience with the Android stuff, but I think it might be well worth spending the extra money on a S1. It's just so much faster/nicer. The only S0 experience I have is with WatchOS2, and that was slow and lovely. By comparison, my current S1 is amazing.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Do NOT get a s0, it's trash.

Weekly update: only use the modular watch face, it offers much more data on your digital wrist computer. This is not a watch and no one cares what your poo poo pretend watch face looks like.

Thanks guys and S0 = pretty much everything made before September? AKA the entire used market?

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 26, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yes. I would go with the s2. The battery life, especially with the update that came out ~2 days ago, is supposed to be fantastic. Plus, built in GPS. S1 or S2 for sure.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

Thanks guys and S0 = pretty much everything made before September? AKA pretty much the entire used market?

Yep.

I will say that depending on price it could be a good purchase. I only use my watch for notifications and doing stuff via siri, which the S0 is perfectly capable of doing. The rare times I use an app are great with OS 3. I'm not entirely sure what I would need a faster watch for, actually.

I've had the original (S0) since shortly after launch and when the new ones were announced, I bought another S0 for my wife because they were so cheap and frankly I don't see the benefit in a faster one. Maybe apple can figure out new uses down the road for which you'll need an S1, but for now I can't imagine that you're missing out on anything with an S0. (And if you need GPS and waterproofing then get the S2, obviously)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I will say that depending on price it could be a good purchase. I only use my watch for notifications and doing stuff via siri, which the S0 is perfectly capable of doing. The rare times I use an app are great with OS 3. I'm not entirely sure what I would need a faster watch for, actually.

I've had the original (S0) since shortly after launch and when the new ones were announced, I bought another S0 for my wife because they were so cheap and frankly I don't see the benefit in a faster one. Maybe apple can figure out new uses down the road for which you'll need an S1, but for now I can't imagine that you're missing out on anything with an S0. (And if you need GPS and waterproofing then get the S2, obviously)

Yeah what this guy said. I've had my S0 since launch as well and if you find it cheap enough it would be a decent purchase. Nothing in the S1 or S2 was compelling enough for me to upgrade.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I have an S0 and I've never had issues with it except recently the battery life is poo poo (even on 3.1)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My S1 battery life was sorta poo poo before 3.1, it'd be anywhere from 20% to 40% after about 16 hours, but it lasted a day. Yesterday was a full day on 3.1, and I put it on the charger 16 hours later at like 85%. I even upped the brightness to full halfway thru the day.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

enojy posted:

My S1 battery life was sorta poo poo before 3.1, it'd be anywhere from 20% to 40% after about 16 hours, but it lasted a day. Yesterday was a full day on 3.1, and I put it on the charger 16 hours later at like 85%. I even upped the brightness to full halfway thru the day.

It'd be funny if the update hosed up the battery gauge and in reality it's just gonna shut down at 70% charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bum the Sad posted:

It'd be funny if the update hosed up the battery gauge and in reality it's just gonna shut down at 70% charge.

I definitely suspected that in the hours following the update, since it was still at 100% after like 3 hours. I was going to "fully" discharge it, but I forgot.

• Locked thread