Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You are not the derail, you are providing good and cool info. The problem is, then people feel like they have to say "Well I like X show" or "I don't like X show" and as someone who doesn't listen to NPR it's all loving white noise posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WampaLord posted:

You are not the derail, you are providing good and cool info. The problem is, then people feel like they have to say "Well I like X show" or "I don't like X show" and as someone who doesn't listen to NPR it's all loving white noise posting.
You should listen to NPR.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SmiloTweets/status/791354961087037440
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/791355578979389440

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Uranium 235 posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the new James O'Keefe video released today is nothing much. I watched it and it's not worth watching.

Does it still have Disney universe ducks or do they use Warner Bros universe ducks this time?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lol

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They'd better shatter it with her standard-issue presidential special ops mech suit when she wins.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

davebo posted:

If I'm in the car I just listen to music. Do people not like music anymore?

drat millenials and their talk radio.

I can't listen to NPR during election season, it makes me too mad while driving and causes me to drive more aggressively. I also can't listen to most radio stations because DJs insist on talking and ruining the music I want to listen to. So I just listen to CDs. If my car was newer I'd just listen to my phone Bluetoothed, but I'll buy a new car when this one literally rusts out from under me (2003 Civic).

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The only thing O'Keefe ever produced worth watching was when he accidentally stinged himself earlier this year

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of, I saw one rando tweeting about how early voting in Florida is apparently looking crazy good for Trump? He's the sort of dude I'd expect to say anything looks crazy good for Trump, but does anyone know of anything specific he might be basing that off of?

My understanding of Florida early voting is that it's less republican than it usually is which is a good sign for the Democrats there, but not as good as in some other states.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I can read political coverage all day long but can't stand one second of listening to somebody talk about it, whether it's a news report or a debate, even if it's favorable. Just drives me up the wall for some reason.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

NPRs weekend programming owns.

Car Talk, Wait Wait and Radiolab are great shows.

The dinner party download is acceptable, especially the epidsode when they had Tim Gunn on.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Donkwich posted:

The only thing O'Keefe ever produced worth watching was when he accidentally stinged himself earlier this year

What's that about?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I care too.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Remember when everyone here was shittalking chris hayes for saying the polls were going to tighten a little bit? good times.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ergo you're a nobody :colbert:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

What's that about?

They called somebody to sting them, got rejected, then failed to properly hang up the phone and continued talking. The other party realized from moment one who these doofuses were and recorded the whole thing, after which they sent it to the press.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This was my mom, and she still doesn't understand why my son unfriended her 4 or 5 years ago on Facebook.

OgreNoah posted:

If my car was newer I'd just listen to my phone Bluetoothed, but I'll buy a new car when this one literally rusts out from under me (2003 Civic).

With about $30 & an hour of labor you can swap your factory radio out with a bluetooth enabled digital music player off of Amazon.

highme fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 26, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

I do! And I believe very strongly in the mission of public radio, which does more to put minority voices on the air and serve communities that would otherwise have no reporting coverage than any other news organization in the U.S.
And as a contributing listener here in Central, IL, I think the mission is incredibly important.

Our local station (WGLT) has started advertising that they are the only locally-owned and -operated media outlet in town. And it's definitely the best place to get local news; they have a daily local public interest/news program which hosts Q&A sessions with mayors, board members, superintendents, CEOs, etc. all the time. (Also they run a 24-hour Blues stream, so they rock.)

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pastrymancy posted:

What's that about?

O'Keefe tried calling the Open Society Foundation under an alias to try and get something to manipulate, but accidentally forgot to hang up the phone and left a long voicemail on their machine detailing all of his plans.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Interesting note on 538. Nate Silver said that if he changed his model to assume that every state was independent and there was no correlation in polling error, then Hillary would be at 99.8%.

Now, I don't think they are independent and if the polls are wrong they probably will be wrong in the same direction for most states to some extent, but this means that if the polls are correct, there's only a 0.2% chance that Trump could change enough minds and/or undecideds to break to him enough to win.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

OxySnake posted:

NPRs weekend programming owns.

Car Talk, Wait Wait and Radiolab are great shows.

The dinner party download is acceptable, especially the epidsode when they had Tim Gunn on.

Tim Gunn is Americas fabulous gay uncle. Need more Tim Gunn IMO.

Also this American Life Podcasts have been great, Pandora has a whole thing for them.

I also want to reiterate if I heard Kai Rysdal say "This is Marketplace" in person I would kick whatever smug face he makes in with great gusto. They had another person on for him last week and I didnt turn into the road rage hulk when I heard Marketplace.

Thats my hot NPR take.

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of, I saw one rando tweeting about how early voting in Florida is apparently looking crazy good for Trump? He's the sort of dude I'd expect to say anything looks crazy good for Trump, but does anyone know of anything specific he might be basing that off of?

I heard this from my dad yesterday while we were working on a deer blind and I still haven't found a source for it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Northjayhawk posted:

Now, I don't think they are independent and if the polls are wrong they probably will be wrong in the same direction for most states to some extent, but this means that if the polls are correct, there's only a 0.2% chance that Trump could change enough minds and/or undecideds to break to him enough to win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

You should listen to NPR.

I hear it's kinda conservative though.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think someone should make a Google Doc where every poster can fill in their feelings on NPR.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mozi posted:

I can read political coverage all day long but can't stand one second of listening to somebody talk about it, whether it's a news report or a debate, even if it's favorable. Just drives me up the wall for some reason.

This is me too. I can watch certain select things but most interviews or video analysis just aggravates the poo poo out of me and I don't really know why.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Spiritus Nox posted:

If someone says something is crazy good for Trump and that something isn't a tape of Hillary personally executing Chris Stevens, they're probably lying.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

I am repping my state a little too hard in this thread today but, Iowa Park is not in Iowa. It is in north-central Texas.

I guess they named it in honor of Iowa, or something. It gives me pause to imagine a place so dire and pointless that they named it to remind themselves of Iowa.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

GalacticAcid posted:

I think someone should make a Google Doc where every poster can fill in their feelings on NPR.

Derail will continue until Trump says another thing.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
I just want to repost this classic onion from after the 2012 election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjonGtrCyVE

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Donkwich posted:

There was also the Seduction Dildo Sex-Yacht.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BlueBlazer posted:

I also want to reiterate if I heard Kai Rysdal say "This is Marketplace" in person I would kick whatever smug face he makes in with great gusto. They had another person on for him last week and I didnt turn into the road rage hulk when I heard Marketplace.

"This... is Marketplace." :smug:

The smugness practically drips from the speakers. I loathe it too, along with Kai's patently obvious neoliberal economic bent.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bassetking posted:

There was also the Seduction Dildo Sex-Yacht.

Oh yeah... I forgot about this. :cry:

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

dwarf74 posted:

And as a contributing listener here in Central, IL, I think the mission is incredibly important.

Our local station (WGLT)

Howdy from WCBU land, Central IL buddy :respek:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Acid Haze posted:

I just want to repost this classic onion from after the 2012 election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjonGtrCyVE

"Hillary Clinton announces that she has "not ruled out" 2016 run. Orb instantly quadruples in size."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I want everyone involved with Prairie Home Companion put in jail and all evidence of that show scoured from the Earth.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

Interesting note on 538. Nate Silver said that if he changed his model to assume that every state was independent and there was no correlation in polling error, then Hillary would be at 99.8%.

Actually the polls show Clinton with a lead, so if they're right Trump has a 0% chance of winning.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
So, remember how most of Trump's Florida events have a couple of guys prominently seated right behind him holding up those BLACKS FOR TRUMP signs that ask you to visit their weird cult/jetski party website? And how Trump points them out as great guys and examples of how well he's gonna do with 'the blacks'?

Welp.

quote:

At Tuesday’s Trump event in Sanford, the Republican nominee praised the “great” “Blacks for Trump” signs behind him, one of which was held by a white woman and another by a man who goes by the name “Michael the Black Man.”

According to the Miami New Times, the man, who also goes by the names Maurice Woodside and Michael Symonette, was a former member of the Yahweh ben Yahweh cult. In 1990, the group’s charismatic leader, Hulon Mitchell Jr., was charged for conspiracy to murder. He required inductees to kill people to gain entry to the cult.

Though “Michael” was charged for allegedly conspiring in two murders and his brother testified that he stuck a sharpened stick into one man’s eyeball, he was not convicted. In the following years, according to the New Times, he was charged with other crimes including grand theft auto, carrying a weapon onto a plane, and threatening a law enforcement officer. He was never convicted.

“Michael” told the New Times that he is supporting Trump in part out of his loathing for Clinton.

"One reason is because Hillary's last name is Rodham, and their family members are Rothschilds, who enslaved 13,000 slaves as collateral," he said.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I have Carl Castle's voice on my Home Answering Machine and nothing you can do will take away that joy from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhcF6G7LdAY

Edit:

Hollismason posted:

I want everyone involved with Prairie Home Companion put in jail and all evidence of that show scoured from the Earth.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-donald-trump-losing-garrison-keillor-20160831-story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Great Zeus.

I used to live in Wichita Falls, which is a few miles down the road from Iowa Park. IP is a tiny methburg oil town, full of the exact sort of people you'd expect in a Texas boomtown that keeps hanging on with a few refineries and a couple gas stations. There literally isn't anything to do there but go to the one lovely mall in WF.

I absolutely believe the writer is sincere, as the whole area is mostly controlled by the First Baptist Church (whose former head pastor, Robert Jeffress, is lovingly in the tank for Trump after being against him. No, seriously, gently caress this guy.), who do a great job completely segregating the Air Force folks at Sheppard from the rest of the town, and keeping the place resolutely small townish for a city of 100,000. It has a horrible mentality, with everyone just waiting for the oil to come back, and hounding the real source of the town's wealth (the AFB) into ostracisition up on the North side of town.

When I was moving away, the old guy who helped organize the local roller derby league took me and my partner aside and warned us all about the dangers of the north east, and how he'd pray for us not to get shot.

I wish I could help change these folks minds, but sometimes I think we're just going to have to wait for them to die off instead... :smith:

• Locked thread