Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hello games made the joe danger games so maybe they should go back to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phantasium posted:

If the argument is that you can patch whatever in then it's kind of meaningless, because they can technically patch any game to be a different game.

Of course? What are you even trying to say? :psyduck:

The point is NMS is what it is, and we're discussing how it could be improved. Dunno what you're on about dude.

The prompt was:

Golden Goat posted:

What does NMS need to make it better? Is it inserting the stuff they promised and building on what's there or is there tons of problems in the system that they need to overhaul?

And you reply

Phantasium posted:

NMS is sort of fundamentally unfixable

Now you're saying "oh well you could fix it with patches, duh, but that'd be a different game!" :v: what? Fixing it with patches was the original premise.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Define "console" because there were two very different versions.

Oh! I didn't know that. The PS2/GC/XBox version

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Now you're saying "oh well you could fix it with patches, duh, but that'd be a different game!" :v: what? Fixing it with patches was the original premise.

And I'm saying while that literally means that NMS has been fixed that it is now a different game and you didn't really fix anything you just changed it completely.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

That first game was fun but after a few hours it deleted itself from my Vita because it was apparently corrupted and I lost all my save data

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Save games being baked into the actual game files and getting deleted if you remove the game are up there with expensive proprietary memory cards in dumb Vita decisions stakes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

http://www.thedailycrate.com/editorial-failed-game-journalism/

quote:

In order to change the direction game journalism is going is to restrict emotional impact and return to factual reviews. It is to not give into our base human push to share with those we care for. It is to know your strengths and keep the politics from your fingertips. If you can’t and feel you desperately need the world to know that Dead or Alive Extreme Volleyball is a bane to females everywhere, then maybe you need to start your own Medium blog. Journalism isn’t for you.

So game journalists are sore over not getting review copies, and other game journalists are giant snobs, and it's hilariously terrible to read about!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Games journalists will be first against the wall when the revolution comes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The biggest issue with No Man's Sky is that they restricted their procgen engine too much. It produces safe results, you never see any geography that's particularly crazy or of any size. Like having planets with deep canyons or only a few small islands or whatever.

I do see interesting weird things but they never get too far in any direction. And they probably restricted the engine to avoid things that didn't work right or whatever but I think everyone would prefer broken weird planets to the somewhat anemic safe ones we have now.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All I want from a video game review is its size in GB and what engine it was made in.

Keep subjectivity out of game reviews!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does sun & moon have a preorder bonus? I know gamestop has some kinda poster thing and I thought the munchlax stuff was a preorder bonus but from what I could look up, apparently that's just an early adopter thing and not exclusive to preorders. Is that right?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you preorder you get the bonus of knowing the jrpg of the year is securely yours

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

if you preorder you get the bonus of knowing the jrpg of the year is securely yours

it comes with a copy of ff15?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Final Fantasy XV is an ARPG, duh

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Great Joe posted:

What does this mean?

SW2 has procedurally generated levels from prefab clusters with pretty random enemy placement, which means you end up with levels with no real structure to them, and large stretches of completely unoccupied, wasted space. It does the "bazillion weapons" thing better than Borderlands by simply having 70 or so actually set-in-stone weapons that are reasonably distinguished from one another, but then fucks it up by throwing a metric assload of worthless socketables at you as loot. The UI is terrible for sorting or selling them, and now because you have a loot system enemy balance is all over the place as a result, with everything either being one-shot fodder or a hulking bullet sponge that'll kill you in two hits and takes 8 minutes to bring down.

Then there's the fact that multiplayer is barely functional, clearly added as an afterthought despite being the most-advertised feature of the game, and only saves progress for the host.

I'm most frustrated because the guns actually have some punch to them this time, the swordplay works even better too, but then every single other aspect of the game drags down the fun of actually using the kickin' rad arsenal.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 26, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh. Well, that makes me pretty sad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The UI in Shadow Warrior 2 is pretty bad aside from the ingame hud but those other complaints don't drag the game down very much imo. You can also completely ignore the gems if you want, the guns do reasonably good damage across the board without them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wasn't there a big thing with them about how they wouldn't kowtow to potential publisher demands when they were looking for one like one publisher wanted Joe Danger to be a monkey? And they were like no this a no monkey zone?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It does the "bazillion weapons" thing better than Borderlands by simply having 70 or so actually set-in-stone weapons that are reasonably distinguished from one another

Except... those things are nothing alike? It isn't doing the "bazillion weapons" thing at all, there's no RNG. Its just a standard FPS with lots of guns. Calling it borderlands is wholly disengenous.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

, but then fucks it up by throwing a metric assload of worthless socketables at you as loot. The UI is terrible for sorting or selling them, and now because you have a loot system enemy balance is all over the place as a result, with everything either being one-shot fodder or a hulking bullet sponge that'll kill you in two hits and takes 8 minutes to bring down.

Dude I've never spent more than 3 seconds thinking about which gems to socket and never had ANY problems. Its your own autism that's an issue if you can't stop yourself from min/maxing.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Then there's the fact that multiplayer is barely functional, clearly added as an afterthought despite being the most-advertised feature of the game, and only saves progress for the host.

What? I've played the game 4-player co-op for many nights with my friends and my cousin, and we've not had any issues at all.

Only saving progress for the host is a minor annoyance, but its a run and gun shooty game that isn't insanely long, its not really that big a deal honestly. I get why its psychologically a little frustrating, but just... get over it? You just shoot dudes and they die. Who cares?

If you play the game for long you'll end up beating it multiple times over. Its like Diablo in that regard. (But not borderlands)

Great Joe posted:

Oh. Well, that makes me pretty sad.

Ignore him, that's all nonsense. SW2 is super mega rad, and considering its only asking $40 its a complete steal.

Its as good as Doom 4 AND has co-op. What the gently caress else do you need?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 26, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

http://www.thedailycrate.com/editorial-failed-game-journalism/

So game journalists are sore over not getting review copies, and other game journalists are giant snobs, and it's hilariously terrible to read about!

This is a gamergate thing, just a heads up. Probably belongs in the hell thread if that exists anymore. Between this and the NMS talk, chat thread took a nose dive today :sigh:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How about we talk about our personal GotM, one week before October ends

Civ VI for me, I like it lots

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Bloodborne. Again.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

How about we talk about our personal GotM, one week before October ends

Civ VI for me, I like it lots

Battlefield 1 surprisingly, I'm absolutely loving the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My fiancee got Disney Magical World 2 and that is probably her game of the month, either that or Style Savvy Fashion Forward (I'm not sure if Fashion Forward came out this month or last month tho)

I haven't played any games that released this month, I've just been working my way through some puzzle games on steam like the freeware Picross Touch :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the ds3 dlc is real good so far.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh gently caress I forgot all about that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Haha, same here!

Well I know what I'm doing this weekend

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I bought the season pass but I'mma wait for it all to be out first.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man I completely forgot about dark souls 3

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Bloodborne. Again.

DS3 DLC!

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^^^^^

Super good, but also short. Good thing there's more coming.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was replaying it recently, and caestus build is the most fun thing ever. Running around with no shirt on beating bosses to death with my fists is loving great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you didn't know what area they chose to do, its return to painted world and wow. they did it very well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

I was replaying it recently, and caestus build is the most fun thing ever. Running around with no shirt on beating bosses to death with my fists is loving great.

Yeah I did a street fighter build in DS2 and had a blast with it. Its way more fun than you'd think. Your hits come out so fast that you can just pummel anything down to dust and keep them chain staggered forever.

Downside is no reach whatsoever. Fights with several enemies can get real interesting.

Real hurthling! posted:

if you didn't know what area they chose to do, its return to painted world and wow. they did it very well

Painted World 2: Electric Boogaloo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bloodychill posted:

This is a gamergate thing, just a heads up. Probably belongs in the hell thread if that exists anymore. Between this and the NMS talk, chat thread took a nose dive today :sigh:

Ah, my apologies! I'm not familiar with gamegate at all, so....yeah. I'll leave it out from now on.

Okay, Game of the Month: Stardew Valley has consumed my life. I love making to-do lists and it's a game all about making short little daily lists in my head as I play. Today I'm planting seeds and making sure to talk to Harvey to drop off his algae. Tomorrow I'm fishing for a legendary fish 'cause it's raining. etc etc etc. It's so, so addictive to me. I love it!

But I also have to shout out to that humble bundle - everything from the BTA tier down has been fun for me, and I'm beginning to dig into Chroma Squad and Westerado and they're a Good Time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My game of the month is definitely bloodborne because of how proud of braving the spiders and getting the plat I am

Sony sent me an email about how huge my balls are and everything

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My gotm is still Dead Rising. I finished every achievement except for 7 day survivor and I'm not sure I really want to do it. I tried doing it while watching TV, but I only made it 22 hours before I made a timing mistake and came back to the game over screen.

I guess if I'm going to do it I'll have to keep an eye on it the full 14 hours.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man I completely forgot about dark souls 3

Same here, my fiance mentioned it to me offhand like I already knew and I lost my poo poo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
This month had some good games. Hard choice for me between Civ6 and Dragon Quest Builders. I'd say DQB was just all-around more fun but Civ6 is great and promising to suck away all my time over the next couple months. World of Final Fantasy is a solid nostalgia hit with silly anime storylines and fun turn-based gameplay.

Meanwhile, I finally got around to Kirby Robobot which was just delightful and last month's low-cost Dungeon Warfare TD game continues to be a nice distraction when I have an hour here or there to do some low-pressure gaming.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess my game of the month is a tie between Dragon Quest Builders and Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Who knew minecraft type games were actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

My gotm is dragon quest builders. I never got much into minecraft, I think having some goals and some npcs with personalities to build for is what I always wanted.

• Locked thread