Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Nah battery is legit as gently caress now. do NOT worry all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Nah battery is legit as gently caress now. do NOT worry all.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Do you guys think the new battery life is accurate? My S1 seems to be getting much better battery life today than before I updated yesterday.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Everywhere I've read said the battery is way better.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

So either they broke the battery level monitor, or they had some fantastically poor code running the watch before?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There have been articles about how Apple was obsessed with accuracy and low-latency with tests against high speed cameras.

Perhaps there's still room for some compromise there in favor of battery life.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I have a s0 that I bought used right after the s2 announcement. I consistently wear it daily from 8am until 10:30pm and it very rarely drops below 50%. On days that I work out and go out late at night it gets to maybe 30% by 1am.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Gunder posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Do you guys think the new battery life is accurate? My S1 seems to be getting much better battery life today than before I updated yesterday.

No, it's serious. Battery life rules now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I have a s0 that I bought used right after the s2 announcement. I consistently wear it daily from 8am until 10:30pm and it very rarely drops below 50%. On days that I work out and go out late at night it gets to maybe 30% by 1am.

Same.

I have no idea why people hate on the s0, all gens look the same to everyone on planet earth and I haven't been annoyed by speed issues since Watch OS3 came out.

That's why I decided not to upgrade this year (though I did get a 7+ and I will be getting the airpods this week). It's still totally fine, I don't care about the watch having GPS and I don't go in the ocean with my watch anyways so...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Taima posted:

Same.

I have no idea why people hate on the s0, all gens look the same to everyone on planet earth and I haven't been annoyed by speed issues since Watch OS3 came out.

That's why I decided not to upgrade this year (though I did get a 7+ and I will be getting the airpods this week). It's still totally fine, I don't care about the watch having GPS and I don't go in the ocean with my watch anyways so...

:lol: no you won't.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

:lol: no you won't.

It does seem to be turning out that way! Which freaking sucks because I have been waiting to buy those loving airpods for what seems like a goddamn eternity at this point.

I wonder if it has to do with the bluetooth issues that some people are experiencing recently. I don't have those problems Apple. Gimme.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Taima posted:

It does seem to be turning out that way! Which freaking sucks because I have been waiting to buy those loving airpods for what seems like a goddamn eternity at this point.

I wonder if it has to do with the bluetooth issues that some people are experiencing recently. I don't have those problems Apple. Gimme.

What Bluetooth issues are these? I just got a pair of Jabra Move Wireless headphones, and mine sometimes requires me to re-pair them with my 6S before they'll work.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The issues seem to run the gamut but center around bluetooth range and connectivity. Seems to be pretty random who has issues and what those issues are specifically.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Does Watch OS 3 require iOS 10 on the iPhone?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

decypher posted:

Does Watch OS 3 require iOS 10 on the iPhone?

Yes

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
How the gently caress did the update improve the battery life this much? Only 13% spent after 8 hours at uni

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Depths posted:

How the gently caress did the update improve the battery life this much? Only 13% spent after 8 hours at uni

Seems about the same for my on my S0. I'm not complaining though.

Also holy poo poo do the watch updates take forever.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Someone said the cpu was pegged full time in the previous version? Internet Speculations... a bit spooky tbh if true

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I used a Moto 360 v1 briefly with iPhone a year ago. It was a miserable experience. No custom watch faces and the stock ones were terrible. Worked well enough for notification mirroring but that's it. No interaction with apps at all. Was like using 10% of it compared to using it with Android.

Get an Apple watch. It's great. S0,1, or 2. Just don't go Wear on iOS.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
With all these reports of good battery life I'm wondering if I should just do a full wipe & reinstall of my watch because I'm at 80% after only 3hrs. last night I got home and I was at 15% and that's with me only using the watch to check notifications

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

robodex posted:

With all these reports of good battery life I'm wondering if I should just do a full wipe & reinstall of my watch because I'm at 80% after only 3hrs. last night I got home and I was at 15% and that's with me only using the watch to check notifications

Maybe? I'm at 91% after about 4 hours with about the same usage.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm getting insanely good battery life right now (88% since 5:30am EST), but I remember that one of the first things I did when I got the watch was pull a bunch of stuff out of my dock which was supposedly something people suggested to improve life. 100% anecdotal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Someone said the cpu was pegged full time in the previous version? Internet Speculations... a bit spooky tbh if true

Don't kinkshame

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
What's the verdict on s1 battery life compared to s2? I don't care about GPS or waterproofing. Is the s2 battery life good enough that it's worth the $100 premium?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

dc3k posted:

What's the verdict on s1 battery life compared to s2? I don't care about GPS or waterproofing. Is the s2 battery life good enough that it's worth the $100 premium?

I bought an S1 a few weeks back. It was getting around the 18 hours of battery life that Apple claims. Then I updated it to 3.1 a couple of days ago and since then my battery life has shot through the roof. Just get an S1.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
What's the trick to getting exercise to actually count towards the green ring?

Spent 38 minutes walking today, heart rate averaging over 110 bpm, broke a good sweat.

Got 13 min of "credit" for this. Seems like utter bullshit.

WatchOS 3.1 seems to be a lot more stringent. All my workouts from last week filled the ring. Granted it was my first week with the watch so maybe that has something to do with it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

Spent 38 minutes walking today, heart rate averaging over 110 bpm, broke a good sweat.

WatchOS 3.1 seems to be a lot more stringent. All my workouts from last week filled the ring. Granted it was my first week with the watch so maybe that has something to do with it.

Are you using the Workout app? I always use "Outdoor Walk" when i'm about to do some brisk exercise walking, and it always counts the full duration. It even tracks and maps the route you took on the iPhone Activity app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gunder posted:

Are you using the Workout app? I always use "Outdoor Walk" when i'm about to do some brisk exercise walking, and it always counts the full duration. It even tracks and maps the route you took on the iPhone Activity app.

My outdoor walks never give me the full amount I always have to do like over an hour to get the 30 min.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Gunder posted:

That's exactly what I did. Map shows the exact route I took, the segments are correct.
38 min of sweating and brisk striding should give me at least the half hour of exercise.
Kinda annoyed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like someone needs to exercise harder.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just used Hey Siri to start a timer and didn't realize I was close to my phone. Both of them started timers, and the watch is about two seconds behind the phone. I figured there would be some sort of mechanism to prevent that since the watch has to go through the phone but nope.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just used Hey Siri to start a timer and didn't realize I was close to my phone. Both of them started timers, and the watch is about two seconds behind the phone. I figured there would be some sort of mechanism to prevent that since the watch has to go through the phone but nope.

Yeah just turn off hey Siri on the phone :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CaptainCrunch posted:

You need to walk faster. You basically need to power walk for it to count. It doesn't count for me unless I have a 130bpm average at least.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I walk to work daily and I seem to get more credit than I actually do. I'm not power walking or even briskly walking and I'll often get credit for 20 min on a 20 min walk. It's weird. I feel like I'm cheating.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If it feels too easy or like cheating, raise your goal.

Setting it low and racking up easy streaks for just showing up is dumb.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This new battery life is so good that I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Like five years from now it turns out I have to give someone my firstborn child.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

eddiewalker posted:

If it feels too easy or like cheating, raise your goal.

Setting it low and racking up easy streaks for just showing up is dumb.

You can't change your exercise goal, or at least I don't see how. You can only change your calorie goal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I reach my daily exercise goal by walking to and from work, 30 min each way. I feel like that probably isn't the spirit of the game but I've been pretty lax about doing anything about that :effort:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The only circle I care about is active calories. The others come automatically if I get the big one.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

SeANMcBAY posted:

You need to walk faster. You basically need to power walk for it to count. It doesn't count for me unless I have a 130bpm average at least.

If I walk faster then it's "running." Considering I do that Mon-Wed-Fri for 30 min and average 145-150bpm and it STILL shorts me on exercise to the tune of like 10 min out of every 30 I think the problem is not with me. I'm still training out of being a sedentary fatso so a brisk walk is appropriate on the off days from C25k.

Reset the calibration on it. Will find out if calibrating the watch while doing my actual routine rather than dinking around a mall results in a better measurement.

One size does NOT fit all, Tim!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

The issue is that if you're just doing standard walking it's not constantly measuring your heart rate

• Locked thread