Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

rscott posted:

538 doesn't poll anyone, it's an aggregator that weighs polls based on their accuracy in previous elections

Okay, would you call it reliable?
e- duh, I must have read that Silver tweet wrong. long day, forgive me. :( still though is 538 a trustworthy source?
I mean as much as what a 'metacritic-politic' could be.

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

PhilippAchtel posted:

Don't buy bad beer. Spend twice as much and drink half as much.

This works for scotch as well. Only it's drink half as much but spend four times as much.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh no, Trump has received the coveted Tim Allen endorsement.

I don't think so Tim.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Complaint Compilation posted:

I'd say so. Compared to other polling aggregators, 538's model bakes in more uncertainty, so it's much harder for a candidate to get an overwhelming lead. It certainly doesn't like, unskew polls in favor of one side or the other though. The numbers themselves are good, but some of their analyses have dipped into the realm of handwringing.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

boner confessor posted:

he got infinite money, outbid beyonce and jay-z for a ridiculous mansion in los angeles, and he sits in there like a turbonerd all alone complaining about women on twitter

its kind of tragic because sudden, unmeasurable success definitely breaks people and notch is now living in a hell of his own creation lmao

That Creeper money
That reeeeal gently caress you cash

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

e- duh, I must have read that Silver tweet wrong. long day, forgive me. :( still though is 538 a trustworthy source?
I mean as much as what a 'metacritic-politic' could be.

Nate Silver's model is fine. Not necessarily the best but not objectively bad or anything, and gets way more hate from certain parts of the thread than is really warranted.

Nate Silver's punditry is completely awful and you should ignore the gently caress out of it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I was under the impression that 538 was one of the more even-handed poll-ish operations. I guess I just don't know how to find which ones aren't poo poo. Suggestions?
e- D&D is full of pollchat and it's always gibberish to me.
538 is a reasonably good poll aggregator/forecaster. The procedure is comparatively open and transparent (Nate code the model in Python or R and put it on Github!!!!!), and in contrast to a lot of other people, they're not loving idiots.

Meanwhile, the Trump supporter side is getting confused bigly by this:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

lozzle posted:

Nate Silver's model is fine. Not necessarily the best but not objectively bad or anything, and gets way more hate from certain parts of the thread than is really warranted.

Nate Silver's punditry is completely awful and you should ignore the gently caress out of it.

You shouldn't take his punditry to heart as gospel but it's useful to see what the center left is thinking on a given day

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Beer chat! I've always preferred Weißbiers and softer sours. But Dogfish Head was actually the one to turn me on to IPAs with their 90 Minute. I just wish they released their Black & Blue more than once every year or two. That poo poo is amazing. I don't care how much berry must they throw into it.

On topic: I want to give a shout out to that post from 40 pages ago about the goon visiting his conservative family in West VA. That's some depressing poo poo, and I see it a lot in the people from my home town (southern Maryland). I see the same kind of poo poo coming out of my 18 yo nephew. :(

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Nate's punditry is great when he's telling you what he sees in the historical and predictive data he's been staring at for the past eight years but out of that depth he's just some guy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ImpAtom posted:

https://twitter.com/notch/status/790887942294306816

Sorry guys, turns out it was Ghostbuster's fault all along.

Agrajag posted:

Well... Ghostbusters 2016 is poo poo.
Just saw Ghostbusters. It was fun. Why did we paralyze the world over this for like a year?
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/789669489910673408

538 had a take on it a while back.
https://twitter.com/jaytopia2016/status/789670252959457280

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fox finally gets the poll they wanted:
https://twitter.com/foxnewspoll/status/791399550359441408

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So a poll with their guy still losing, on the same day as others with 6, 9, and 15 point margins, huh?

Anything to keep people from being too demoralized to hit the polls, I guess.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BlueBlazer posted:

Porters will unite the common man. I drink my bread.

If you drink domestic in a bar in Seattle people give you funny looks. There is a tap with 20 local microbrews and you drink a Miller Lite? :getout:

Also in the PNW we have Rainier and Olympia for our lovely pisswater. Life goal is to drink a Rainier atop Rainier.

Just so you know, both Rainier and Olympia breweries closed. Both labels are owned by Pabst now. They're both brewed in California.

Sorry to burst your bubble (but as a PNWer, you should have already known these facts :v: )

edit: politics of beer! My grandpa worked at Olympia Brewery for 30 years and was a part of their union. While him and my grandma were mega-Catholic people, they always voted for Democrats because of their pro-union views.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
PBR is garbage beer for garbage people. Trump would drink PBR if he did drink.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Night10194 posted:

So a poll with their guy still losing, on the same day as others with 6, 9, and 15 point margins, huh?

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/791406348537921536

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In my neighborhood I find little beer can pyramids of these, usually close to one or two empty 12 pack cartons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The hell is knocking the polling all out of whack?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

And before anyone starts arzying, the Clinton +1 polls were Rasmussen and IBD.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Hillary, it's time to unleash the secret weapon.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Bassetking posted:

Yo, if it's beerchat time I am gonna second the hell out of La Fin Du Monde. Promoting some of the local stuff around me, Reingheist's Cougar (Blonde) and Reingheist's Truth(IPA) are both excellent, as are Warped Wing's Ermal(Blonde), and Gamma Bomb(IPA).

Never posted before till now but this dude is correct.

Bassetking posted:

Reingheist has you covered here, as well. Couple of real solid ciders.

Buy Ohio Beer is what I am saying.

Cincinnati / Dayton area has some killer breweries. Not to mention Jackie O's in Athens and Brew Kettle up around the Cleveland area. White Rajah is fantastic.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...omepage%2Fstory

As we all know the Republican-controlled House is going call special committee after special committee during Clinton's Presidency.

God to hope we take the Senate so the SCOTUS isn't deadlocked 4-4 for years.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

OhFunny posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...omepage%2Fstory

As we all know the Republican-controlled House is going call special committee after special committee during Clinton's Presidency.

God to hope we take the Senate so the SCOTUS isn't deadlocked 4-4 for years.

They have absolutely nothing better to do. What do you expect them to do, govern?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Night10194 posted:

If I had to I'd bet my house that the +1s are the LA Times and Rasmusen polls which aren't worth the pixels they're displayed on.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 26, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I had to I'd bet my house I'd wager that the +1s are the LA Times and Rasmusen polls which aren't worth the pixels they're displayed on.

Oh, I don't mean them. I mean the more credible polls being like +3-+14.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Night10194 posted:

At a guess, uncertainty created by the high number of undecideds.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

MN gotta represent.

Summit has a drat good Oktoberfest, and their porter is outstanding.

Surly is really good if you like a ton of hops in your beers.

If you can find it Indeed brewery's Day Tripper is a great summer drink.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Cincinnati / Dayton area has some killer breweries. Not to mention Jackie O's in Athens and Brew Kettle up around the Cleveland area. White Rajah is fantastic.

If your talking Cleveland Beer, Great Lakes' Edmund Fitzgerald is my No. 1 favorite beer. Went to a wedding in Duluth that had it on tap, best wedding of my life.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Night10194 posted:

With Trump, even the most desperate of shills can only do so much without completely losing their grip on reality.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Looks like Trump already making good on his promise to build the wall: https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/videos/10157963626870725/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Hillary, it's time to unleash the secret weapon.

Freeway?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My Linux Rig posted:

Nah he probably just used okcupid like every other fat developer

...Is there something wrong with okcupid other than the male clientele?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

If all those polls have a margin of error of +/- 3 with one saying she's +1 and another saying she's +7 they could both technically be correct, just at the extremes of their margin of error. +1 to +14 swing though has to be differences of likely voter models each poll uses.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
All you beer drinkers should just move to Oregon and drink Hair of the Dog/Burnside/Gigantic/Laurelwood all day.

edit: And if Trump wins, move up to Vancouver and drink some great microbrews here while complaining that you can't afford to live here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Democrats win the Senate with a majority I could see Ginsberg retiring.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Polling in general seems to be much more volatile this year than it was in 2012. Everyone agrees that Clinton is winning, but no knows by how much. The post-mortems are going to be interesting.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

OxySnake posted:

MN gotta represent.

If your talking Cleveland Beer, Great Lakes' Edmund Fitzgerald is my No. 1 favorite beer. Went to a wedding in Duluth that had it on tap, best wedding of my life.

My dad often forgets he doesn't care for the Edmund Fitzgerald so I get a free 5 pack every couple of months. Good poo poo.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Night10194 posted:

Likely voter screening methodology, if I had to guess.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Fox poll is still Hillary +5 in the head to head.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The only good beer is Sapporo period. They also have beer cans made out of loving magic that even Superman himself can't even crush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG30ps4EwmI

Go get hosed other beers.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bassetking posted:

It's been like, a whole day since Trump tweeted something about doing cocaine off of underaged tigers.

We're getting restless. We need our fix.

Why am I not surprised Trump hangs out with Ramzan Kadyrov.

• Locked thread