Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

basically if you're the kind of person who thinks the first iphone was good, you probably drink soylent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

The Model T was total garbage. It was slow as a dog, started with a hand-crank, you had to change the oil every 100 miles, and it didn't even have hydraulic brakes. No one at the time wanted one and only idiots bought them. Also, other cars already existed that were JUST AS GOOD and it was only Henry Ford's cult of personality that made anyone buy his crap.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lol that you're dumb enough to think the model t was ford's first car

but i guess you are again, dumb enough to think the first iphone was good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you're a god damned moron, fishmech, and I hope for your sake you don't do this in real life too

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Sagebrush posted:

you're a god damned moron, fishmech, and I hope for your sake you don't do this in real life too

you got owned hard

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Glans Dillzig posted:

you got owned hard

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

uh yeah people who actually exist in real life and do things besides jizz their watery cum onto their pile of apple products aren't dumb enough to think the original iphone was a great phone. so it would be pretty hard to find any of them to argue with.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Glans Dillzig posted:

you got owned hard

the iphone wasn't apple's first attempt at a phone, or at a personal digital assistant, or at a portable media viewer. it was the first time they, or anyone, had gotten the interface right for any of those devices.

fishmech posted:

uh yeah people who actually exist in real life and do things besides jizz their watery cum onto their pile of apple products aren't dumb enough to think the original iphone was a great phone. so it would be pretty hard to find any of them to argue with.

it's unbelievably tiresome to interact with you because you alter your goalposts constantly so that you can never be wrong. in this very post you've misrepresented my own statement that the iphone was "good" and "unlike anything else" as "it was a great phone", so that you can disagree with it more easily. i should know better than to engage you after ten years posting here, but i still slip up. i feel sorry for people who have to meet you in person.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

the iphone wasn't apple's first attempt at a phone, or at a personal digital assistant, or at a portable media viewer. it was the first time they, or anyone, had gotten the interface right for any of those devices.

it's unbelievably tiresome to interact with you because you alter your goalposts constantly so that you can never be wrong. in this very post you've misrepresented my own statement that the iphone was "good" and "unlike anything else" as "it was a great phone", so that you can disagree with it more easily. i should know better than to engage you after ten years posting here, but i still slip up. i feel sorry for people who have to meet you in person.

the iphone was apple's first released phone. that makes it the model a, not the model t, at most if you want to be super generous it makes it the model F which was also a failure. apple didn't get anything about the original iphone right, they had to radically change the os design already with the iphone 3g, because stebe's "browser apps only" poo poo was stupid.

no goalposts were moved, except by you. the original iphone sucks, flat out, everything about it is dreadful. it's not good, and it's only "unlike" other smartphones because it wasn't even a smartphone until they patched in third party app support shortly before it was discontinued.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

basically if you're the kind of person who thinks the first iphone was good, you probably drink soylent

i do, and i don't drink soylent. so WRONG AGAIN BITCH!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

akadajet posted:

i do, and i don't drink soylent. so WRONG AGAIN BITCH!

so you already had the lead damage to your brain beforehand then, ok

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

you're not wrong about iphone supremacy but you're also arguing with fishmech

that is where you went wrong

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
uggh someone pushed a garbage update and now my nexus 5x doesn't work with bluetooth headphones anymore. this is the second time this has happened in the last year.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

uggh someone pushed a garbage update and now my nexus 5x doesn't work with bluetooth headphones anymore. this is the second time this has happened in the last year.

imagine if this happened with iphone 7 lol

good thing it doesn't because it's not android

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fishmech posted:

and on top of being expensive it sucked hard and didn't work. only insane apple fanboys and gadget fetishists "wanted one"

it was totally unlike everything else in that it had horrible connectivity due to refusal to support 3g, crippled functionality because stebe thought having native apps was eveil and insisted on using crappy html5 "apps" in the bad browser", and the interface was awgul

it didn't obsolete anything, as it was hilariously obsolete at launch, being a glorified featurephone with worse call quality/connectivity. there were already symbian devices with just touch interfaces for months

but of course brain damaged freaks like you worshipped it because it had an apple logo, despite it taking til the iphone 3g came out the next year for anyone who wasn't insane to find it usable.

fishmech, i've never owned an apple iphone or apple computer, and you're wrong

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

akadajet posted:

iphones don't work at all so how would anyone notice.

atomicthumbs posted:

fishmech, i've never owned an apple iphone or apple computer, and you're wrong

nope. the iphone first generation was an absolutely terrible not-even-a-smartphone.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

hmm.... nope; they work fine

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

akadajet posted:

well except for that one time when ios 9.0 stopped iphone 6s's phone from working

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

akadajet posted:

hmm.... nope; they work fine

nope, thats why apple is dying

THC posted:

well except for that one time when ios 9.0 stopped iphone 6s's phone from working

lol really?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

nope. the iphone first generation was an absolutely terrible not-even-a-smartphone.

explains why we're still using resistive touchscreens and palm os

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

explains why we're still using resistive touchscreens and palm os

multitouch capacitive touchscreens had already been in use for an extended time period, and palm os was never the majority smartphone os - for that matter, ios has never been the majority smartphone os either

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

actually the iphone was the first real smart phone. all "smart" phones before it were archaic prototypes. powerful yes, sort of, but all of them assuredly sucked to use in comparison, which negated any technical advantages they might have.

who cares what those older "smart" phones could do if they were a pain in the rear end to use

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

actually the iphone was the first real smart phone. all "smart" phones before it were archaic prototypes. powerful yes, sort of, but all of them assuredly sucked to use in comparison, which negated any technical advantages they might have.

who cares what those older "smart" phones could do if they were a pain in the rear end to use

the original iPhone was way more of a pain to use: there were no apps, the "html5 apps" ran horribly due to the terrible connection because of lack of 3g, and the call quality was dreadful besides. it did absolutely everything worse, and the iphone 3g was a major revision all around.

there's nothing smart about a launch iphone or even the firt gen iphone like 9 months after launch

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

the original iPhone was way more of a pain to use: there were no apps, the "html5 apps" ran horribly due to the terrible connection because of lack of 3g, and the call quality was dreadful besides. it did absolutely everything worse, and the iphone 3g was a major revision all around.

there's nothing smart about a launch iphone or even the firt gen iphone like 9 months after launch
incorrect

it wasn't perfect, but there's a reason every smart phone looks and behaves like an iphone now: it was better than everything else at the time and aping it would be a sound bet for phone manufacturers. not that hard to understand.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

incorrect

it wasn't perfect, but there's a reason every smart phone looks and behaves like an iphone now: it was better than everything else at the time and aping it would be a sound bet for phone manufacturers. not that hard to understand.

nope, they don't behave like the original iphone, they behave like the symbian phones that were out before the iphone.

apple had to pivot to copying the symbian design to get anywhere with the iphone

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

multitouch capacitive touchscreens had already been in use for an extended time period

By

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lg and multiple other phone manufacturers in 2007 before the iphone

the lg prada was one:

also notice how it looks like every modern smartphone except the buttons being more pronounced, lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

apple had to pivot to copying the symbian design to get anywhere with the iphone

unbelievable. that's one for goons_txt

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you're not wrong about iphone supremacy but you're also arguing with fishmech

that is where you went wrong

yeah, i know. usually i catch myself in time

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fishmech posted:

lg and multiple other phone manufacturers in 2007 before the iphone

the lg prada was one:

also notice how it looks like every modern smartphone except the buttons being more pronounced, lol

it even has narrower bezels than the pixel

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

unbelievable. that's one for goons_txt

yeah it's unbelievable that you're dumb enough to think the original iphone design was good

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

fishmech posted:

but... a smartphone is a mobile phone with an advanced mobile operating system which combines features of a personal computer operating system with other features useful for mobile or handheld use.[1][2][3] Smartphones, which are usually pocket-sized, typically combine the features of a cell phone, such as the abilities to place and receive voice calls and create and receive text messages, with those of other popular digital mobile devices like personal digital assistants (PDAs), such as an event calendar, media player, video games, GPS navigation, digital camera and digital video camera.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i cant believe its 2016 and people are still arguing with fishmech

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Linguica posted:

but... a smartphone is a mobile phone with an advanced mobile operating system which combines features of a personal computer operating system with other features useful for mobile or handheld use.[1][2][3] Smartphones, which are usually pocket-sized, typically combine the features of a cell phone, such as the abilities to place and receive voice calls and create and receive text messages, with those of other popular digital mobile devices like personal digital assistants (PDAs), such as an event calendar, media player, video games, GPS navigation, digital camera and digital video camera.

yeah, so not the original iphone before the patches shortly before the 3g came out. glad u agree

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

poty posted:

i cant believe its 2016 and people are still arguing with fishmech

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
when the iphone came out I was using a nokia 770 internet tablet. it was kinda cool. 800px wide screen, multitasking, fully functional web browser (with flash support) and people wrote some semi-deece apps for it.

until iphone 3g or whatever, I think it was a better device for a lot of use cases than an iphone.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

poty posted:

i cant believe its 2016 and people are still getting owned by fishmech

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

agreed, op

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fishmech you're supposed to use sockpuppet accounts for some of the posts so you don't look like you have nothing else to do

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

someone take away fishmech's pepper pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mod saas posted:

fishmech you're supposed to use sockpuppet accounts for some of the posts so you don't look like you have nothing else to do

you people are supposed to post things that are sane, instead of pretending the original iphone was good

• Locked thread