Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Overflow exploit. Enjoy multiplayer!

quote:

To recap:
-I chop for 38 production
-11 production required to complete archer
-City makes 4 production/turn on it's own
-Next turn I have 77 production invested into the next build!

Not only is the +50% bonus from the military policy applied to the overflow hammers going into the the next build, it appears it is applied twice!

Chop: 38
Multiply with 50% bonus from Military policy: 38 * 1.5 = 57
Reduce 11 to complete archer: 57-11 = 46
Add 4 production from city: 46+4 = 50
Multiply with 50% modifier from military policy + 5% bonus from amenities: 50*1.55 = 77.5

Not sure if this is exactly what's going on, but it adds up. And no matter what, I should not >70 overflow from one 38 production chop.

Naturally I tried this with +100% cavalry bonus as well. Build heavy chariot to 63/65, chop one forest, build any district with overflow in one turn. Didn't test extensively, but since production from chops scale with your techs just like district cost, it should work throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Ahahaha I noticed that overflow seemed to keep the percentage boosts but I didn't realize it was actually bugged. Sounds like they wanted to divide the overflow with the multiplier like in IV but accidentally multiplied instead.

e: Oh wow the science overflow bug from V is back too?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Look if they don't know how to deal with overflow then it must means it is simply not an easy problem to solve, no one has solved it before, it just can't be done

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speaking of mods, is anyone using any yet? I found this one and I'm appreciating the much slower tech/civic pacing in the mid to late game because it makes production feel faster. I haven't gotten into the very late game though so maybe it gets ultra slow then.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Efexeye posted:

need cash? build units with faith and then sell them! you'll be rolling in coin in no time

I think it's weird that delete unit doesn't mention you getting money at all. It's like they left it in by accident. 960 gold for deleting an infantry I got for free is so much.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Look if they don't know how to deal with overflow then it must means it is simply not an easy problem to solve, no one has solved it before, it just can't be done

This stopped being funny after like the 5th sarcastic usage in one page.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Here's question: If I want to place a district over a forest, does clearing the forest have the same effect as chopping it, and if not, what would be a good way to ensure that the chop actually gets used somehow?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Geight posted:

Here's question: If I want to place a district over a forest, does clearing the forest have the same effect as chopping it, and if not, what would be a good way to ensure that the chop actually gets used somehow?

Well, based on this page, build something you have a policy boosting production of, and clear the forest with a builder the turn before it completes.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about autocycling through units.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about autocycling through units.

Because it autocycles from the one you are looking at, the one that is actually currently selected by you. If you are thinking and acting quickly, you can end up choosing a destination for the unit you selected and were looking at, but JUST KIDDING we're going move the focus to some other unit of the computer's choosing just as you click the mouse.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Anway, I feel like the protectorate Casus Belli's war monger penalties are wrong

I feel like an idiot for saying this, but I mean, three times zero is still zero, yeah?

When I'm binge-playing this game late at night sometimes it facilitates me moving the wrong guy into the wrong place, especially since it sometimes will jump to another unit while I'm clicking the next unit I want to move.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

Efexeye posted:

Are we supposed to be picturing religious combat as martial-arts trained monks kicking the poo poo out of each other for the rights to proselytize on the outskirts of town?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

At least in my experience, if I give a unit an order, then quickly click on another unit nearby (which I do often in war situations, especially with fast move and combat), the auto-select will then deselect the unit I was trying to use next and switch to another. Swinging the camera halfway around the world and messing with my controls are Bad Things.

e: yeah what the above said.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Staltran posted:

Protectorate, liberation and reconquest wars all have WarmongerPercent="0"

Geight posted:

I feel like an idiot for saying this, but I mean, three times zero is still zero, yeah?

But I thought it was supposed to only count that way for cities you're liberating and not ones you're burning down.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 27, 2016

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
The guy doing Anno Domini already shelled out an Anno Domini mod for Civ6, drat that guy works hard.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Is there a mod that adds the sentry command yet

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Taear posted:

I think it's weird that delete unit doesn't mention you getting money at all. It's like they left it in by accident. 960 gold for deleting an infantry I got for free is so much.

I'm a peaceful l builder type and it's nice to know I don't need a military because with 13k faith in the bank I can raise an army of 10 mechanized infantry from nothing in 2 turns, and that if I ever need a quick builder I can poo poo out a unit that sells for the equivalent of 2 builders. Faith is really strong.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

But I thought it was supposed to only count that way for cities you're liberating and not ones you're burning down.

I see what you're saying. Maybe they could add some more differentiating between the types of just wars by having those three listed not let you raze stuff for free, but have more bloodthirsty ones like colonial or territorial wars let you reduce/remove the penalty for razing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eiba posted:

Actually, yeah. That is a reasonable suggestion in Civ VI.

Clustering your cities as close to each other as possible has no downsides, and later on gives you a potentially massive production boost as you stack your industrial districts. It also helps with amenities a lot due to entertainment zones.

The housing mechanics also mean you can't work as many tiles per city as you can in V.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Geight posted:

I see what you're saying. Maybe they could add some more differentiating between the types of just wars by having those three listed not let you raze stuff for free, but have more bloodthirsty ones like colonial or territorial wars let you reduce/remove the penalty for razing.

I mean I thought that was already in the game to be honest?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There should be a third option when you capture a city, plunder, which gives you something like 5x all the yields of the city to your capital and pillages all surrounding improvements, but the city can't be plundered again for like 50 turns (because you already took everything of value)

Mostly right now there's just no way to profit from a war without capturing cities which annoys me when I'm trying to keep a good global reputation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't you capture them and then sell them back to the owner for dosh?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does doing that preserve your warmonger score?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the relationship between the tourism value that's on the top left of the screen, and then the actual tourists you can see in the culture victory screen? As is the exact mechanism or formula for how then tourism value generates tourists? Also same question for how culture and tourism scores interact to protect you against tourism.

Secondly is there a way to quantify the relationship between great works/relics and the exact amount of tourism they will generate?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ccubed posted:

Overflow exploit. Enjoy multiplayer!

i hope one day abacus technology will have advanced to a point in which bugs like this can be defeated.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

i hope one day abacus technology will have advanced to a point in which bugs like this can be defeated.

I mean, these sort of overflow problems have been in the game since civ 1, is it really reasonable to expect things to change in that time?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Would the game be better or worse if you were not in a semi-permanent state of religious war at all times? I think it's kinda cool, but I also haven't been playing as much as some of my other pals, who seem a bit burnt out by it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Civ6 is a well made game that has given me two of the most boring games of Civ I've played in a long, long time.

My very first game on King, I start on a continent with England and Arabia. After fending off early era attacks from both of them with the superior strategy of 'a ranged unit on a hill facing a huge outnumbering force', England was my buddy forever, and Arabia was ineffectual and did nothing.

I cruised out into the lead scientifically and stayed there all game, eventually quitting in boredom because holy poo poo did you see how long it takes to build spaceship parts if you didn't make a donut of industry with your cities that you wouldn't know to make in your first game?

Second game, I play as China, intending to build All The Old Wonders and... do just that.

Because there was no one else on my continent. I kept clicking next turn out of morbid curiosity, and eventually met them all jammed on another continent, but I was at a point where I could crush them all beneath my Venetian naval fleet of modern destroyers while they faffed about with medieval/ren era units.

I'm not entirely sure this is Civ's fault, exactly, but jeeze, those were not interesting games or stories.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"My Religion is better!"

"No Mine!"

"That's it! IT'S TIME TO D-D-D-D-DDDDDUEL!"

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 27, 2016

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
When can we expect mods or patches to improve the AI?

Edit: Do these people ever implement AI by learning how real people play this game?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zomborgon posted:

Huh, I guess that the only differences on the first three dificulty levels are on-player bonuses. Interesting.

I have a hard time believing that the CPU players get no science bonus on Prince, given that I was producing 1.5X Kongo's science production and yet they kept 1 tech ahead of me for over a hundred turns. Dunno what was up with that.

AI civs spy like a mofo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I understand you're trying to cash in on this super funny thing to say but maybe after the fifth time it has lost some of the wow factor. hth

2 SPOOKY posted:

This stopped being funny after like the 5th sarcastic usage in one page.

e:f;b

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, so after having played a few games with him my basic understanding of Barbarossa is gently caress him forever because he's going to be pissed off all the time since appeasing his agenda means never engaging with city states at all and preferably never realizing they exist so you can't accidently do quests for them.

At least I can kinda understand how you would be friends with some of the other leaders if all the A.I wasn't prone to psychotic breaks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Inverness posted:

When can we expect mods or patches to improve the AI?

Never.

Inverness posted:

Edit: Do these people ever implement AI by learning how real people play this game?

No.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Never.

No.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh 4 shows that they are capable of making at least incremental improvements

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
Civ6 is really cool and fun, and I am excited because this is just the baseline and there's years of expansions and patches and mods to come.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why are you frantically clicking on all your units. Just wait a milisecond for the autocycle to go through them for you. :shrug:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

also, you should claim every great person because even if you're not going to use them, in the late game they are worth like 1500 coin each

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I turned off barbarians in my latest game because having to deal with them well into the industrial age is obnoxious, doubly so without the sentry command. I was also a little sick of them wiping out multiple civs that I hadn't met, insuring I'd be seeing the same four yokels for the remainder of my game. I haven't tested it extensively, but the computer players seem to be doing much better without having to worry about barbarians. Fewer comatose players, and some doing things that I hadn't seen in previous matches--Scythia and Egypt went hog wild conquering city states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that there is no dialogue box before confirming a pass is stupid.