Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean they can't all work together but there's still some combos going on amongst the Partner guys. Lot of stuff going on with Sidar, Reyhan works well with Ishai and Tana, Tymna is set up to work well with Kydele, and Akiri goes with Bruse or Silas. I assume they only really went for synergy between the intended "alternate 4 color commander" pairs. Some of them are pretty crappy but I like how it gives you more options than just picking one legendary creature and building your deck to maximize it. The "goodstuff" complaint makes no sense to me because you could do that with a non-partner card and also I think the colour restriction mechanic is kindof stupid in the first place, since it randomly makes otherwise interesting commanders awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sigma-X posted:

(although I haven't read the theros lore so maybe they're super loving obnoxious there)

Here's a summary of their Theros lore:

They're loving DEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAD.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

How does that card interact with Panharmonicon? Are there any good combos for it?

e: talking about faerie artisans

A deck full of "When a creature ETB" effects, or ones that want to sac stuff are both going to want these things to enter twice

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sigma-X posted:

For pretty much any mass market game. I'm rather glad they don't shove it in your face, either. Like, it's in the art, but the flavor text isn't AND THEY SAID NO, YOU ARE THE ONES WHO ARE ABOMINATIONS or whatever the gently caress, they just kind of are. I thought the Alesha story was reaaaaalllly fuckin' hamfisted.

(although I haven't read the theros lore so maybe they're super loving obnoxious there)

Theros lore is "These guys lived so fuckin' long ago people don't even remember them anymore"

Their paragraph about it is maybe a liiiiiiittle cheesy, but that's more as a generic power of love thing than anything else.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

For pretty much any mass market game. I'm rather glad they don't shove it in your face, either. Like, it's in the art, but the flavor text isn't AND THEY SAID NO, YOU ARE THE ONES WHO ARE ABOMINATIONS or whatever the gently caress, they just kind of are. I thought the Alesha story was reaaaaalllly fuckin' hamfisted.

How was the Alesha story hamfisted in any sense of the word

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Don't you remember when Alesha punched that pig so hard that her fist got stuck in it, and that's why she's known as Alesha, Whose Fists Are Ham? Like that wasn't in the story but that probably happened.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Caring about Magic lore.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It's about how bigotry is wrong and decapitating dragons is cool, things that should be obvious in today's world but sadly, need to be jammed in like how Alesha jammed a spear into a dragon's brain.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Oh also are any of the new legends from Amonkhet or other new/weird planes?

So far its mostly old legends from books/stories/and flavor text for the minor ones. These are the ones we know so far, and as far as I know nobody knows anything about the ones in Saskia's deck yet.

Vial Smasher - Planseswalker's Guide to Takir part 2, and http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/tarkir-dragons-2015-02-25

Kydele - Godsend, and http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/kruphixs-insight-2014-06-11

Thrasios - Planseswalker's Guide to Theros part 2, flavor text Nullify, Vaporkin, Wrath of God

Sidar Kondo - Rath and storm https://www.amazon.com/Rath-Storm-Magic-Gathering-Anthology/dp/0786911751

Ludevic - all over both Innistrad blocks

Ishai - Planseswalker's Guide to Takir part 1, http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/great-teachers-student-2015-03-04, Cunning Breezedancer

Ikra - http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/doom-golden-fang-2015-02-04, http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/khanfall-2015-02-18

Reyhan - http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/no-end-and-no-beginning-2015-02-11, http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/khanfall-2015-02-18

Silas - http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/seekers-fall-2009-02-04, https://www.amazon.com/Test-Metal-P...s=test+of+metal

Bruse - Battle Hurda, Caravan Hurda, Ondu Greathorn, Tectonic Edge, Pillarfield Ox

Akiri - Kor Castigator, Kozilek's Pathfinder, Silent Skimmer

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My secret hope is Leshrac is one of these cards.

Come on, WotC.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Count Bleck posted:

My secret hope is Leshrac is one of these cards.

Come on, WotC.

He's not from Theros or Tarkir, so keep wishing.

The only ones we don't know the cards for is the probably B/G Naga Dragonspeaker or the probably U/G Merfolk. They're all listed in this article http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/its-time-talk-commander-2016-edition-2016-10-26

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think we know where Saskia is from.

Also, Leshrac was a planeswalker, not a legend.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

yeah i'm pretty sure saskia is from the scotland plane that we haven't been to yet.

or dominaria

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

I don't think we know where Saskia is from.

Also, Leshrac was a planeswalker, not a legend.

Counterpoint, so was Teferi.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Also in all the excitement over spoilers, may as well remind everyone that it's Triple Innistrad draft on MTGO this week. :getin:

Any draft primers out there?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Counterpoint, so was Teferi.

Teferi gave up his spark to close one of the holes in reality, so by the time he got printed he wasn't a walker anymore.

legoman727 posted:

Also in all the excitement over spoilers, may as well remind everyone that it's Triple Innistrad draft on MTGO this week. :getin:

Take cheap green and white cards, or force Spider Spawning imo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

Take cheap green and white cards, or force Spider Spawning imo

Or pick up Burning Vengeance early and go Grixis Spells, or go BR Vampires if you enjoy losing, or open a sweet rare like Laboratory Maniac and go deep.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

legoman727 posted:

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/luck-skill-victory-a-final-draft-of-innistrad/

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So apparently the commander decks have painlands, checklands and the crappy filters from Odyssey (which seem pretty great in these four color decks.)

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Hellsau posted:

... and the crappy filters from Odyssey (which seem pretty great in these four color decks.)

I have been expecting these guys to reappear in standard for a little while. Enough to trade into a playset of each over the last year. This reappearance has me hoping I was right.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I like the crappy odyssey filters because that's when I first started magic. Plus sungrass prairie has great art.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DoctorOozy posted:

I have been expecting these guys to reappear in standard for a little while. Enough to trade into a playset of each over the last year. This reappearance has me hoping I was right.

I'm pretty sure that they're too low power for to be a cycle of duals in the modern age, except maybe at common or something. I doubt it, though; drawing two of them and no other mana source is such a feel-bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

I'm pretty sure that they're too low power for to be a cycle of duals in the modern age, except maybe at common or something. I doubt it, though; drawing two of them and no other mana source is such a feel-bad.

Plus why would they print these things with pretty specific names over filters, which are just much better?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Teferi gave up his spark to close one of the holes in reality, so by the time he got printed he wasn't a walker anymore.

Point taken.

Jaya Ballard.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Count Bleck posted:

Point taken.

Jaya Ballard.

Jeska, Karn, Slobad, Blind Seer, Bolas, Babby Gatewatch

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Hellsau posted:

So apparently the commander decks have painlands, checklands and the crappy filters from Odyssey (which seem pretty great in these four color decks.)

Didn't they say they are making a new cycle of rare lands for the set? Hopefully it's enemy-colored Odyssey filters.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

"boy"
"boy"
"boy"
"I'm not a boy, I'm a bad-rear end"
"bad-rear end"
"bad-rear end"
"bad-rear end"

I'm not saying it was worse than other magic writing, but it was bad magic writing and the plot was "alesha shows everyone she's really a bad rear end woman and not a boy" instead of "jace is an insufferable nerd" and I didn't think there was anything particularly interesting or well crafted about her story.

Like I get that its a victory that she even exists yada yada and I fully support whomever the gently caress needs representation being represented in bad fiction, I just think that these dudes are a lot more nuanced in their card than the entire story they wrote for Alesha.

In general when your story is about "minority character deals with minority character issue" instead of "minority character deals with universal issue and minority character issues are intermediary difficulties" it tends to be lovely writing. "this minority character overcame hatred" always reads as patronizing when meanwhile, over here, "normal character overcame world ending extradimensional badguys."

Looping it back to the theros dudes - just in their card, I see that they built and saved a great city / thing / whatever. That's a heroic goal. And they did it while also no doubt facing adversity (or, alternatively, they didn't face adversity because hateful assholes aren't a requirement of a realistic world). Alesha's key focal story point, meanwhile, is about getting people to stop misgendering her. I may have missed a story line where Alesha isn't just another body on the giant platter of dragon food (I mean this sincerely as I'm not familiar with the tarkir plotline) but afaik the only story she gets to tell is a kind of bullshit one, imho, when other characters get to fight against eldrazi invasion or thwart angels.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lets Pickle posted:

Didn't they say they are making a new cycle of rare lands for the set? Hopefully it's enemy-colored Odyssey filters.

Why do you want this, those lands are very bad and, even back in the day when all standard legal duals except painlands were bad, felt bad to play

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What are you talking about, everyone loves dual lands where you only want to play with a single copy to avoid huge self-blowouts

--

I guess I can see why they're a good fit for edh

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lets Pickle posted:

I feel like that's about the only room they can really make in these.

These decks retail for $35 and they're gonna have insane value in them with so many new, powerful cards as it is, so I can't imagine them trying to make a new cycle that isn't either tied heavily to the commander game or are known to be too low power to drive non-commander interest.

The odyssey lovely filters are really perfect for that.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

to put it more succinctly trans characters dealing only with trans-exclusive issues like misgendering and having their transness be the only point of their story is bad writing

gay character bravely cuts off dragons head: cool
gay character bravely holds boyfriends hand in public: patronizing, tokenizing, super boring

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Sigma-X posted:

please explain more about how acknowledging gays or trans people existing is "shoving it in your face"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I feel like that's about the only room they can really make in these.

These decks retail for $35 and they're gonna have insane value in them with so many new, powerful cards

Show me the powerful cards and I'll be happy to believe this

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mischalaniouse posted:

please explain more about how acknowledging gays or trans people existing is "shoving it in your face"

By making it appear as though it's naturalized. At least, that's my guess.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Sigma-X posted:

"boy"
"boy"
"boy"
"I'm not a boy, I'm a bad-rear end"
"bad-rear end"
"bad-rear end"
"bad-rear end"

I'm not saying it was worse than other magic writing, but it was bad magic writing and the plot was "alesha shows everyone she's really a bad rear end woman and not a boy" instead of "jace is an insufferable nerd" and I didn't think there was anything particularly interesting or well crafted about her story.

Isn't this the appeal of trashy fantasy in general? A nerd gets vindicated because reading books lets them be a super powerful wizard, a jock gets vindicated because being swole and cool means they can save everybody by suplexing a dragon, a transexual gets vindicated when doing one cool thing makes everyone stop questioning their goddamn gender. Hell, look at who was giving Alesha poo poo--an orc, which is practically shorthand for mean, stupid, ugly, and cisnormative male. Then she's cool and even the orc's like, OK, fine, jeeze. And the reader can maybe sit back and say, gee, maybe it would be nice to live in Tarkir! Except they don't have bathrooms. I'm adding plumbing to my headcanon.

It's not like magic the gathering writing is ever anything better than shallow wish fulfillment. Travel the multiverse. Meet some bears! Kill an evil necromancer, but don't stay with the grateful citizens because you're too drat cool. Ooooh, this planet has monkey cats. Buy an Inventor's Fair commemorative mug. Hook up with a hot elf for a few weeks. Whups, more adventure!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Vial Smasher is a legendary creature but Ankle Shanker isn't. Fix this, Wizards.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Vial Smasher is a legendary creature but Ankle Shanker isn't. Fix this, Wizards.

I agree, this is a very important issue to correct

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I believe Saskia is Balduvian - compare Martyr of Ashes, Balduvian Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So it's like a really weird FoF variant.

I like it though, shame it gets progressively weaker with less people.

• Locked thread