Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Typical treasures:

Weapons and armor
Tools
Musical Instruments
Gems
Home Furnishings (Mirrors, Tapestries, Rugs)
Clothes
Other

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I've been pretending to write, don't tell me though, I'd probably get annoyed

Nathilus

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I'm still brainstorming. I'm a real writer so I have to let ideas quietly knock around in my subconscious before they germinate completely. My creative process is a few days of studiously ignoring a topic consciously, followed by something like this https://youtu.be/NKID2LRzIdY except a keyboard instead of a piano, and I smoke out of a bong not joints.

The way I see it, there are a few angles I could attack this from:

1. Make the argument an aesop, and use the story as a way to show yall how good an aesop I can come up with, plus getting a few details about the owls and their culture down as a foundation for when they adopt our earstwhile heroine.

2. Make the argument more cogent to the setting and do a little worldbuilding. They could be arguing about which of the two empires to support with a third position being all "hey we owls fools". Or maybe the owls genetically engineered themselves into a Children Of Owls situation and that's why they are willing to adopt a human runt.

3. gently caress with the meta-narrative. Like for example one idea I had was that the argument is about owl prophecy. It's easily concievable that I (alone or with the help of the rest of the thread) could work in a bunch of vague but poetic prophecy lines that could then be used as jumping off points or callbacks in other stories. This particular idea is risky but appealing.

I won't know whats actually gonna go down till I've ignored it all for a little longer tho.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I've started and then erased several drafts already

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
i don't even know what an aesop is

Nathilus

Ahundredbux posted:

i don't even know what an aesop is

You know, like the scorpion and the turtle. Thats always been my favorite one since that turtle is a dumbass and gets stung. Lol. Anyway, the tortoise and the hare is another one that everyone knows. Animal does thing, learn from his/her stupid rear end p. much

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Uh...the turtle has a shell and the scorpion would not be able to penetrate it.

----------------

Nathilus

misty mountaintop posted:

Uh...the turtle has a shell and the scorpion would not be able to penetrate it.

Sting it on the neck is what I'd do, if I had a pointy stinger. Remember, as per the aesop the turtle is swimming at the time.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
always one of my favorite of Aesop's Fables:

A gaunt Wolf was almost dead with hunger when he happened to meet a House-dog who was passing by.

"Ah, Cousin," said the Dog. "I knew how it would be; your irregular life will soon be the ruin of you. Why do you not work steadily as I do, and get your food regularly given to you?"

"I would have no objection," said the Wolf, "if I could only get a place."

"I will easily arrange that for you," said the Dog; "come with me to my master and you shall share my work."

So the Wolf and the Dog went towards the town together.

On the way there the Wolf noticed that the hair on a certain part of the Dog's neck was very much worn away, so he asked him how that had come about.

"Oh, it is nothing," said the Dog. "That is only the place where the collar is put on at night to keep me chained up; it chafes a bit, but one soon gets used to it."

"Is that all?" said the Wolf. "Then good-bye to you, Master Dog."

joke_explainer

Moral of the story: Domestication is bad. Free your enslaved dogs.

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Sent you my draft for chapter 14. Can I have my soul back now? I think some bats nested in there and I've been waking up every morning hanging upside down in my closet. Also bugs are looking real tasty.

saucyseadweller

So Damn Saucy
I look forward to the outcome of this project. I would've jumped on board early on to request a chapter but unfortunately I have some things going on in my personal life which would've made it a bit difficult to contribute. Good luck to everyone involved though.

joke_explainer

I've redone a lot of my draft and I am really really liking it. I hope it fits well. Hopefully will be turning in soon, just going to pore over it and maybe rewrite a couple sections.

Fredflonston

Ok I'm just about done with mine. I don't expect it to be anything like the others honestly but since it isn't a framing chapter that's cool right? It isn't very long either but it covers the feel I was going for.

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
how long is yours? I'm probably going to end up under a thousand words tbh

Fredflonston

Ahundredbux posted:

It ended up being around 1500.

e: its 1455 and I'm waiting on an English friend to look it over, so it could change.

Fredflonston fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 21, 2016

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
I wrote 2600, but I expect a bunch to get cut out to make it fit.

Absolute Lithops

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
I haven't been online much cause my internet provider is being lovely. But I'm still working on my chapter!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Arkanomen posted:

Sent you my draft for chapter 14. Can I have my soul back now? I think some bats nested in there and I've been waking up every morning hanging upside down in my closet. Also bugs are looking real tasty.

Welcome to the list of heroes! Sorry about the paint scratches; I bumped your soul against a corner when I was carrying it down the stairs. I owe you a Coke.

Your story owns, by the way. :) :) :)

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Here is some encouragement for anyone who toils in the Pit of Words: I, misty mountaintop, think you're the greatest. I admire you for being a Creator of Art, and I am sure that you're writing great things!

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Ahundredbux posted:

It's not about length, it's about having the courage and confidence to stick it in and see what happens!

----------------

Fredflonston

It's not about length, it's about having the courage and confidence to stick it in and see what happens!

*sighs* Thanks Dad.

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

gross, you know I write like a child right?

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
OK ladies and gents, time's a-wasting, so you should be a-writing. I know you can do it!

----------------

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
just a head up to anyone writing about miranda:
I've been real vague with my character descriptions, for example all that's said about miranda is that she's (probably) not a bird
and she meets a frog along the way who is described as large, but that does not exclude a large frog-sized frog or a human sized frog or any type of shape for the frog

Nathilus

Ahundredbux posted:

just a head up to anyone writing about miranda:
I've been real vague with my character descriptions, for example all that's said about miranda is that she's (probably) not a bird
and she meets a frog along the way who is described as large, but that does not exclude a large frog-sized frog or a human sized frog or any type of shape for the frog

I'm done ignoring my story and onto the writing now. Still not exactly sure where its going but I'm along for tge ride at least. Is there any specific setup you need from me, given that our bits are pretty directly connected?

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
nah I think you can write whatever you want, if you want to be careful keep her in the background I guess, that's the beauty of this though , you're coming from another perspective

City of Glompton

just checking in to say I plan on submitting a complete story on the due date

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I plan on handing in half a story and some notes in a weird language on crumpled up napkins

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i am still writing but it is going well and this is fun

social vegan

I've had to stall halfway through because of an even bigger report I've had to write for work also due on the 28th, but I am looking forward to staying up too late to finish on time

Android Blues

City of Glompton posted:

just checking in to say I plan on submitting a complete story on the due date

me also. whats the point of a deadline if you dont get to shake its hand and look into its stark, staring eyes

Nathilus

Ahundredbux posted:

nah I think you can write whatever you want, if you want to be careful keep her in the background I guess, that's the beauty of this though , you're coming from another perspective

I plan on keeping the mc completely out of my story in case you feel like writing in how she meets the owls. Presumably she comes to them or is rescued or w/e since she is not an owl herself. My story has to do with the setup of why humans are allowed in owlandia at all in the first place and happens before she arrives.

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I think you are vastly overestimating how interesting my part will be

Fredflonston

I finished my dill, chums. Smell ya on the list of heroes.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Fredflonston posted:

I finished my dill, chums. Smell ya on the list of heroes.

Your chapter is so good. Congratulations, hero.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
PS - your soul was minty and smelled good around the house.

----------------

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
Okay I sent mine

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Ahundredbux posted:

Okay I sent mine

Hooray! Hero! Your soul is waiting outside for its Uber to take it back to you.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredflonston

PS - your soul was minty and smelled good around the house.

I've often dreamt of spending the afterlife as a mojito.

• Locked thread