Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Losing Fuller is kind of disastrous. He was the major reason I was interested in this because his past shows have all been amazing. That news really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bets on this being worse than enterprise or worse than voyager?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It depends on how much lingering influence Fuller has. If he's not actually involved beyond a credit, the outcome looks bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ha!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dont even fink about it posted:

Friendly reminder: Publicized budgets are all bullshit.

Is there any source on 'actual' numbers, or is it the old "whoever says they know is lying" routine?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nichael posted:

Losing Fuller is kind of disastrous. He was the major reason I was interested in this because his past shows have all been amazing. That news really sucks.
Yeah this is just the cherry on top of the problems this show has had pretty much since we started to hear anything concrete about it. I'm much more concerned now.

The IGN article about this is saying that they have actually cast all of the roles except for the main lead.

One good thing is that apparently Fuller mapped out the story arc for the season before he had to step down.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Executive producer can mean so many things that it's essentially meaningless without more details. Will he be in the writer's room? Will he still have a say in casting the lead? Are the new showrunners people he wanted to be brought in?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

The Dark One posted:

Executive producer can mean so many things that it's essentially meaningless without more details. Will he be in the writer's room? Will he still have a say in casting the lead? Are the new showrunners people he wanted to be brought in?

Considering the Variety report says he's already written the first 2 episodes himself it sounds like "Yes" he's still involved in writing.

Also the new showrunners were already working on Discovery and previously worked on other shows with Fuller, so I imagine yes he wanted them.

Look, if there were serious creative problems or differences going on, then CBS would be trying to scrub him from the show as much as they could. They'd toss his scripts out and have others start over. They'd bring in fresh faces. But they haven't. It's still the same staff working on it, just some people have different roles now. They're still using his material.

I think the impact of this, while not great, is also being overblown.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 27, 2016

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't know the first thing about Fuller so whatever, because I also didn't get hyped that he was running it in the first place. Is Nick Meyer still around though, I didn't see his name in that article.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Is Nick Meyer still around though, I didn't see his name in that article.

God only knows. I think they've dropped his name once since he was initially announced as a producer.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Maybe now I can pitch them my idea about the Tal Shi'ar and Obsidian Order agents who somehow end up sharing an apartment.

...no, it's not a comedy, why would you think that?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

After The War posted:

Maybe now I can pitch them my idea about the Tal Shi'ar and Obsidian Order agents who somehow end up sharing an apartment.

...no, it's not a comedy, why would you think that?

... I'd watch a Star Trek Spy vs Spy show.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Nichael posted:

It depends on how much lingering influence Fuller has. If he's not actually involved beyond a credit, the outcome looks bad.

The article definitely suggests that he's gonna be more than nominally involved. That could be inaccurate I guess, but if they're still using his scripts and his story (and, presumably, not firing all the writers he hired) then it sounds like his fingerprints will still be on it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Moriatti posted:

Hey, so I am mid season 3 in Farscape and loving it.
What are good episodes to show people who aren't prone to wait for a show to find it's voice. Preferably something that would play well for a Doctor Who fan?

Premeire, Exodus from Genesis and PK Tech Girl are early episodes that are pretty representative of the show's tone and style and hold up on their own.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

The article definitely suggests that he's gonna be more than nominally involved. That could be inaccurate I guess, but if they're still using his scripts and his story (and, presumably, not firing all the writers he hired) then it sounds like his fingerprints will still be on it.
I think they always say that though. If the truth is that it's a more hostile separation where he's not going to do much on the show going forward, I can imagine they might not want to say that publicly. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I imagine he'll be about as involved as Martin Scorsese was on Boardwalk Empire after doing the pilot, or a guy like Spielberg on any vanity tv project with his name attached.

Losing a showrunner at any point in a series is often a bad thing; losing them before it even starts is a disaster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Random speculation, but everything seems to point to the idea that when he was brought onboard he was under the assumption that the show would have a lot longer development run-up schedule than CBS was planning, and that CBS thought they'd be able to poo poo this out as fast as a new sitcom or something.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 27, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Even if that was the case, that December launch date was announced very early so it shouldn't have caught him off-guard. He shouldn't have taken the job when he knew American Gods was going to take up a huge amount of his time. It's hard to fault CBS for not wanting to delay the premiere again when Fuller can't even finalize the casting on time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'd say the arrival of Akiva 'Batman & Robin/Lost In Space' Goldsman is more worrying.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

I'd say the arrival of Akiva 'Batman & Robin/Lost In Space' Goldsman is more worrying.

What do these assholes have on who that they keep getting work?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tighclops posted:

What do these assholes have on who that they keep getting work?

I'm sure there's a legitimate reason (((Akiva Goldsman))) keeps getting work. I'm sure of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm sure there's a legitimate reason (((Akiva Goldsman))) keeps getting work. I'm sure of it.

Cmon man

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

what the gently caress?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He's probably a good worker, in all honesty. That gets you far in any business.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking more along the lines of they have photos of important people in hollywood at like, one of Bryan Singer's underage twink parties or something and any time they want in on a project they just wave that poo poo around like a free pass

e: apparently this is just one person and I'm tired enough to think double

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 27, 2016

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Don't forgot Kurtzman is in on this as well. At least Fuller's picks will be doing the showrunning for now.

Small favors that Orci is nowhere near this thing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Evek posted:

Don't forgot Kurtzman is in on this as well. At least Fuller's picks will be doing the showrunning for now.

Small favors that Orci is nowhere near this thing.

Jokes on you, next week CBS will announce Orci is in as show-runner alongside Stuart Baird.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
Star Trek fans: not as optimistic about the future as Star Trek is!

skasion posted:

Pretty sure the thread called this
Not sure if the thread complaining massively about every possible bad outcome before it happens counts as "calling it". Monkeys and typewriters.

Astroman posted:

This is gonna kill any chance we have of a Star Trek tv show for 10-15 years.
I get that the news coming out isn't exactly encouraging, but right now, we still really don't know what this will turn out like. It's anywhere on the spectrum of really good to really awful. Not sure I see the point of writing it off before a single frame has been filmed.

macnbc posted:

I think the impact of this, while not great, is also being overblown.
Totally. Productions have issues, sometimes it affects the quality, and sometimes the news coming out sounds worse than it is. Remember a few months ago? Everyone predicting doom for Star Trek Beyond because it was going through the pretty normal process of reshoots? And had a terrible first trailer? That movie turned out pretty good (box office aside!).

At this point, hating on Discovery feels like something people just really want to do.

Drone posted:

Jokes on you, next week CBS will announce Orci is in as show-runner alongside Stuart Baird.
Okay, if that happens, I take it all back.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

CaveGrinch posted:

Variety reporting Bryan Fuller is out as show runner of Discovery.

There goes any hope I had...

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/

Welp! That's what I get for getting my hopes up. C'mon Bryan Fuller you're "Too busy"? Lame!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dirty posted:

At this point, hating on Discovery feels like something people just really want to do.

While it's true that the Trek thread has generally been pessimistic about new Trek stuff prior to its release, opinion on Discovery was soured from the moment they mentioned that the new series would pilot CBS's lovely online streaming service. Doesn't matter that the concept could be really cool.

It's like saying that Discovery would be the pilot program on a relaunched UPN. Wedged in between reboots of Shasta McNasty and Hangin' with Mister Cooper.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dirty posted:

I get that the news coming out isn't exactly encouraging, but right now, we still really don't know what this will turn out like. It's anywhere on the spectrum of really good to really awful. Not sure I see the point of writing it off before a single frame has been filmed.

True, I suppose we should wait to even see if a single frame will ever be filmed. :v:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Drone posted:

While it's true that the Trek thread has generally been pessimistic about new Trek stuff prior to its release, opinion on Discovery was soured from the moment they mentioned that the new series would pilot CBS's lovely online streaming service. Doesn't matter that the concept could be really cool.

It's like saying that Discovery would be the pilot program on a relaunched UPN. Wedged in between reboots of Shasta McNasty and Hangin' with Mister Cooper.

So, like Voyager, then?

....Oh. Oh.

:negative:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Apple Jax posted:

Welp! That's what I get for getting my hopes up. C'mon Bryan Fuller you're "Too busy"? Lame!

He really is too busy, though. I'd wager based on some older interviews of his that if he'd been offered Star trek first, he never would've taken American Gods and/or Amazing Stories. But he was never gonna turn down Star Trek, even if it was perhaps unwise considering his workload.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it's still pretty likely we'll get a 2nd season of Discovery since Netflix pretty much subsidized the first season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not only does Blade of Tyschalle have bad taste in starships, he's also an anti-Semite?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What is that new triple parentheses thing?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Arglebargle III posted:

What is that new triple parentheses thing?

Anti-Semitic alt-righters on Twitter use it to "secretly" signal who is a (((Jew))). As in, "(((Leonary Nimoy))) must have a certain interest in the globalist agenda!" :tinfoil: It's the extreme right wing being about as clever as the rest of us know them to be.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I think it's still pretty likely we'll get a 2nd season of Discovery since Netflix pretty much subsidized the first season.

Optimist. If the first season tanks, I reckon CBS is just as likely to take the cash bonus and run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But, Vulcans can't be Jewish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dirty posted:

Star Trek fans: not as optimistic about the future as Star Trek is!

Star Trek always said the 21st century was going to be a real shitshow.