Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

spit on my clit posted:

dont answer back, you twat

Another well-reasoned post by MSPaintHUD-user and resident thread idiot (repetitive, I know), spit on my clit .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Another well-reasoned post by MSPaintHUD-user and resident thread idiot (repetitive, I know), spit on my clit .

look, we're not gonna do this again. either stop being such a goddamn retard and click on cops, or accept your fate as being ignored by the entire thread.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Yeah, you sure are ignoring him.

Also, git gud already. It isn't even that hard.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

spit on my clit posted:

look, we're not gonna do this again. either stop being such a goddamn retard and click on cops, or accept your fate as being ignored by the entire thread.

I think you'll find that it is, in fact, those of you who lack a OD mask who have cop-clicking to do.

Or you can continue to whine about how unfair the game is. Your call.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

spit on my clit posted:

I WILL TURN THIS ESCAPE VAN AROUND

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr Cheeto posted:

you dolt, criminals dont return to the scene of the crime unless its a meth house

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age

Dr Cheeto posted:

"It looks like... The next ingredient is shitposting? I'm 73% sure."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9RbxcA0sH8

I hate ads and I hate the idea that I'm spending any more time thinking about them than reaching for the remote and fast-forwarding (I watch a lot of poo poo on DVR), but I suspect that the voice actress at the beginning of this ad is the same one as is on Jacket's tape player, which makes the whole thing even weirder.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

In a shocking turn of events, Vox and Coolguye reveal their inability to handle the challenge of OD and repeatedly insist that winning or losing is based on factors beyond player control, absolving themselves of personal responsibility.

did you miss the entire portion where i've had a fair bit of success but am not finding it satisfying or are you just high on your own farts again

like seriously dude nobody gives a poo poo about how good you are at a 4 year old co-op game. it looks like you value this really highly though. why? you look delusional as gently caress when you do this, and doubly so when you psychoanalyze other people with negative evidence and no provocation.

Psion posted:

Well, we agree camping 1D spawns is suicide, yes. So I'm a big fan of not doing that whatsoever at any time. Explain to me a little more of your Aftershock strategy, please? Where are you when you're getting 12 specials dropped in your lap with no time to react?

never used a single sentry on 1D except as a gimmick on one transport where I put one sentry next to the van after all 4 of us were in the escape zone, so I'm gonna say that one didn't count

the overall strategy for the first portion was to basically find a van as soon as possible and jump cover to cover on the lower part of the map, going generally two crooks by two crooks. first group would run while the second threw a flashbang/fired weapons/etc to reduce cop aggro on the vulnerable movers, and then repeat for the second group after the first group was secure. saws can be restarted in passing and safes can be thrown while you wait for the copball to respond, which it does slowly.

the issue is that both the switchbacks on the bottom part of the map and the overpass are close to spawns and can aggregate a large number of cops even with ideal management of the copball, and you frequently don't get warnings before you run into them. tasers or dozers in the copball can be very difficult to weed out, which makes the copball dangerous even beyond its size, and the high spawn limits for specials make it entirely possible that you can crest a ladder to find another 2 dozers or 4 shields in addition to the ones chasing you right up in your business, or round a pillar near the edge of the map to find another fistful of tasers chilling out near staging points - and, as we know, even with Shockproof a taser only needs to grab you for a split second on 1D for the event to be lethal. we also tried cutting through the center of the map instead of going through the entire loop, but that raises its own problems with the copball splitting and surrounding (same problem that can happen on Boiling Point if you train people through the factory incorrectly), and it doesn't actually remove you from the problem since the staging areas are still very close to the players' active zones. looping the pillars to avoid the blind corner problem did not really matter due to the unerring accuracy of the cops and the overall spread of the staging areas. if the cops in or near the staging area properly activated (again, you can tell the difference because one will fire at you out of the entire squad, or the entire squad will fire/imminently move) then your previously safe area becomes not-safe instantly. and as you said before, being in a not-safe area for even a second or two is failure. the areas involved here are the primary problem between Aftershock and its closest brother in this general solution (boiling point) i feel. in Aftershock the area is wide open and there are some places to hide, but the cops effectively come from all directions and the map itself is relatively small (i think the bottom area is only about 120m from end to end). boiling point, however, has huge swaths of land outside the installation where you can relatively safely herd cops around during the most vulnerable part of the heist.

we had this same strategy working delightfully on the 5th try and had broken the back of the main problem (our designated objective-doer-guy was heading to plant the C4) when the host crashed and we were so frustrated we just let it go for the evening and haven't been back since we tried last weekend.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Wow, that was a lot of words trying to convince Psion and LuciferMorningstar that you don't suck as much as you really do. Is it possible that maybe you give more of a poo poo about how good people think you are at this four year old co-op game than you're trying to let on?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Allen Wren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9RbxcA0sH8

I hate ads and I hate the idea that I'm spending any more time thinking about them than reaching for the remote and fast-forwarding (I watch a lot of poo poo on DVR), but I suspect that the voice actress at the beginning of this ad is the same one as is on Jacket's tape player, which makes the whole thing even weirder.

Hotline Miami 4: Wide Coverage is a non-canon sequel that takes place several decades in a non bombed Louisiana. Jacket, now out of prison due to miraculous legal help, is a TV repairman who makes regular visits to many clients. A peaceful, normal life is somehow had. That is, of course, until he starts getting strange requests from new clients. And Jacket is nothing but a professional no matter what is asked of him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Crabtree posted:

Nerfing down bows yet again, are they finally including them in certain skills or is this purely "They're all using them now on 1D, nerf it down"?

fwiw, functionalist theories of stigma suggest that, while the mechanically reductive focus of mental disease definition may worsen the problem, mental disease stigma would still likely It's hard to tell; the initial buff was absolutely something they'd been planning to do since the weapons rebalance, and it certainly made them OP regardless of the difficulty changes, so it's possible the nerf was just related to that. On the other hand, the past approach of the devs has been to remove popular methods for addressing the new top difficulty and the devs were also likely anxious to address conspiracy theories in the forums that this was intended to drive sales of the Chivalry pack.

I'm personally just glad because it means I don't need to adjust the Chivalry pack recommendation in my DLC post.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

THE CHORSE posted:

Wow, that was a lot of words trying to convince Psion and LuciferMorningstar that you don't suck as much as you really do. Is it possible that maybe you give more of a poo poo about how good people think you are at this four year old co-op game than you're trying to let on?

i was answering psion's question dude, discussing strategies takes a couple of words

could you kindly get the gently caress over yourself

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

fwiw, functionalist theories of stigma suggest that, while the mechanically reductive focus of mental disease definition may worsen the problem, mental disease stigma would still likely It's hard to tell; the initial buff was absolutely something they'd been planning to do since the weapons rebalance, and it certainly made them OP regardless of the difficulty changes, so it's possible the nerf was just related to that. On the other hand, the past approach of the devs has been to remove popular methods for addressing the new top difficulty and the devs were also likely anxious to address conspiracy theories in the forums that this was intended to drive sales of the Chivalry pack.

I'm personally just glad because it means I don't need to adjust the Chivalry pack recommendation in my DLC post.

I'd still like them to give people a reason to use bows outside of solo stealth and gimmick builds. You know, just give them the same buffs that snipers get from their skills and bam, problem solved.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Coolguye posted:

i was answering psion's question dude, discussing strategies takes a couple of words

could you kindly get the gently caress over yourself

You seem kind of worked up about this, again. Have you considered taking a break?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

me irl right now

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
1D is breaking this heistin' family apart

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i wont play 1d because i dont find it fun

fight me

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Afraid of Audio posted:

fight me

1v1, safe house, boxing gloves only

If you enable friendly fire can you tase your friends?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

1v1, safe house, boxing gloves only

If you enable friendly fire can you tase your friends?

actually tried this and unfortunately no, the buzzer just delivers its normal damage without any associated stun. that said connection on melee weapons with ff is really wonky, and even the damage might have just been one of my other buddies loving around

same deal for flamethrowers and poo poo, you can't set teammates on fire

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
can you use counter strike aced against a friends melee attack

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Psion / chorse you guys aren't the best marks for skill anyway, I vaguely recall you guys doing death wish heists with no skills and amcars for fun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Crabtree posted:

I'd still like them to give people a reason to use bows outside of solo stealth and gimmick builds. You know, just give them the same buffs that snipers get from their skills and bam, problem solved.

That's an interesting idea- I like it! bows have some of the same features of snipers from a gameplay perspective, and these buffs wouldn't obviate the differences between the categories. It would come down to numbers, though- one-shotting dozers remains silly.

edit: what's the consensus on the Wick pack? I need to update my effortpost, but I haven't had much time to play with it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 27, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Its good stuff if you run ex presidents dodge/crit

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Was the original damage buff for the bows intentional? With how ridiculously high it was before, I'm feeling like it wasn't.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 27, 2016

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

That's an interesting idea- I like it! bows have some of the same features of snipers from a gameplay perspective, and these buffs wouldn't obviate the differences between the categories. It would come down to numbers, though- one-shotting dozers remains silly.

edit: what's the consensus on the Wick pack? I need to update my effortpost, but I haven't had much time to play with it.

Wick pack:
The sniper is in a unique position where you can use it for dodge builds. It's basically an r93 otherwise.

The ump is another concealable SMG, that hits decently hard, but has absolute poo poo ammo pick up when I've used it.

The pistol has sweet as gently caress red tritium sights.

I'm not sure if it's a must purchase. It is useful if you want a concealable sniper and a slower firing concealable alternative to the micro SMG for dodge builds.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
For what it's worth the UMP looks friggin hilarious with a max loud build.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

Not really when in 1D Dozers tend to not only spawn fast but in packs from what I've seen. Also crit/dodge pistols shred them up fast as well. And they both have worry about tazers and the overall super accurate cop mob shredding single shot glass cannons and unlucky dodge runners so it evens out without feeling like the player can just nuke everything. Just give the Bow actual relevance to the game like the buff tried to do as we should make more guns worthwhile.

As for Wick Guns, it seems all of them don't really fill any niche that wasn't already held by several other guns. However, the Wick Pistols and maybe the UMP at least stand out it seems as okayish?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Wick Guns pack is one of the few that I would recommend only getting on sale. There's just nothing really terribly unique, fun, or appealing about it at this point.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I don't know why you don't just restart til the vans on Aftershock are in more ideal positions. Like, that's mainly the RNG loving around that my group used to get certain 1D heists done. SWAT van on Hoxton Breakout day 1? Restart. Train car is not in the upper right spot on Forest? Restart. Money bundle inside the car shop on Birth of Sky? Restart. Etc, etc. Hoxton Breakout day 1 was really the only map where the people I played with actually used kiting and avoiding cops as our main strategies; pretty much every other loud one we did involved beefing up as much armor and damage as possible and holding a camping spot until a fade to do objectives (basically super early Deathwish). Also, we didn't catch on to stuns being really good until almost everybody was done their mask, so we made it harder on ourselves than we needed to. :shepicide: Anyway, when you talk RNG as being part of 1D, that's what I assume you meant: restarting til you get certain good layouts, which wasn't unheard of with DW either. We're not relying on somebody having a lovely computer, or for spawns to break; cops hit very hard and very accurately and we average team downs into the 20s and 30s and finish most maps having practically all resources drained. Like, here's us being masochistic autists doing 1D The Diamond loud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgtmQ2E5Bzk

We wipe and it only counts as a win because people died inside the escape zone. That said, 1D is not our primary difficulty of play - Deathwish is still that - and I don't think 1D is ever meant to be anything more than "you did it for the achievements, now never touch it again." I agree with the sentiment that 1D is stupidly designed, and have been very vocal about it on the Steam forums where Overkill actually pays attention for feedback. I just think saying that I got the mask because of luck/exploiting busted mechanics is bullshit.

Discendo Vox posted:

Buy it on a sale. The sniper is concealable, sure, but it's got garbage accuracy. The pistols have got good visual and sound design, but statistically they're pretty poor - they don't offer any real bonuses except having less ammo than other comparable pistols in its damage class. The UMP is decent, and I've been told has a good use as a concealed SMG, but if you don't care about concealment then the Biker SMG is better.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 27, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

pretty much every other loud one we did involved beefing up as much armor and damage as possible and holding a camping spot until a fade to do objectives (basically super early Deathwish).
many, many places that you would reasonably hold out on a map break the pathing in various ways, especially when things like sentries/jokers/fire are taken into account - and many places do not even require that much. the basements on Counterfeit are a prime example. you pretty reasonably want to hang out in the basements there after things go loud, but even just holding up cop pathing by shouting someone down on the stairs will eventually break the majority of cops topside; this is how me/sykic/vox/plan z got our completion there - eventually most of the cops went mostly passive in the top living room/kitchens, and i was able to rush forward to turn the water back on from time to time. this is not something we did explicitly, but the fact remains that it did happen and we would have been completely hosed if even half of the cops topside had rushed the basements the way they really should have and will do if you're hanging out in, for example, either living room of either house. or the garage. or the sheds.

this is not necessarily the same thing as 'relying on a lovely computer' but the effects end up being somewhat similar because it is the engine that is falling over in these situations. but just because the engine is falling over partially doesn't mean that it is even remotely deterministic, controllable, clear, fair, or accountable to the user - all of which are pretty important parts in player agency. the randomization in maps is one thing that i would consider all of these things except maybe accountable, honestly. you can visually see what's up early on and get an expected result by taking an action - that is, hitting the restart button. the only thing it misses out on is it being the players fault a SWAT van or whatever shows up on hoxbreak d1. compare this to the complete wonkiness of cop AI and the utter capriciousness of spawning mechanics and there's not even remotely a comparison.

to be clear, i don't mean to say that there's no achievement whatsoever in completing 1D. this should not be read as a personal attack on people who have done 1D, else i would be attacking myself too. but I do mean to say that the predominant 'skill' is manipulating mechanical advantage through exploits and engine shortcomings (most of which are capricious and unreliable for a variety of reasons). that feels really bad, and not even remotely like 'skill' in the context of a game to me. normally when i exercise those skills, it's for 125$/hr in advance or 150$/hr on completion, minimum of 5 hours, and I can actually fix the bugs I identify :v:

e: in summation

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 27, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Almost got Goat 1D with pubs a few times but was always undermined by them either having no idea how the heist works or not paying attention/caring about their team until they go down all alone. Feeling a lot less spooked by the job but then again there is always day 2.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Info noted on the Wick pack. I've added it to the post as "not necessary," since there isn't a wait for a sale rating right now. I'm going to consider doing a poll or something on how all the DLC should be rated.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I don't know why you don't just restart til the vans on Aftershock are in more ideal positions. Like, that's mainly the RNG loving around that my group used to get certain 1D heists done. SWAT van on Hoxton Breakout day 1? Restart. Train car is not in the upper right spot on Forest? Restart. Money bundle inside the car shop on Birth of Sky? Restart. Etc, etc. Hoxton Breakout day 1 was really the only map where the people I played with actually used kiting and avoiding cops as our main strategies; pretty much every other loud one we did involved beefing up as much armor and damage as possible and holding a camping spot until a fade to do objectives (basically super early Deathwish). Also, we didn't catch on to stuns being really good until almost everybody was done their mask, so we made it harder on ourselves than we needed to. :shepicide: Anyway, when you talk RNG as being part of 1D, that's what I assume you meant: restarting til you get certain good layouts, which wasn't unheard of with DW either. We're not relying on somebody having a lovely computer, or for spawns to break; cops hit very hard and very accurately and we average team downs into the 20s and 30s and finish most maps having practically all resources drained. Like, here's us being masochistic autists doing 1D The Diamond loud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgtmQ2E5Bzk

Right, although I think that having to restart to get a good objective spawn on a given difficulty is a Bad Sign, what I'm talking about is actually really visible in that video. for example, at 5:26, you finish killing a set of enemies, and then Cory discovers that a large mass of enemies are sitting around another part of the map. During the wait for the drill to free the diamond at around 12:30, enemies aren't spawning into the sides of the room, and are trickling in in twos and threes from the main hall. That's because they have all spawned, or are queued to spawn, in the main building. Generally, the number of police you're actually encountering at any given time is....a lot less than 84. It's often less than 10. It's not that folks are intentionally exploiting spawns, and it's not even dependent on computers. On DW and 1D, police path breaks continuously on every loud map, on any rig. The game can only direct a portion of the enemies to move to a location or choose to fire at a time. The rest sit in, or before, their spawns. A "successful run" is in large part the one where the number of enemies who glitch out is much higher. Since even a couple enemies can down several players if they are unlucky, you're not easily going to be able to tell the difference. As someone puts it in the video, "you don't even have time to react".

Crabtree posted:

Not really when in 1D Dozers tend to not only spawn fast but in packs from what I've seen. Also crit/dodge pistols shred them up fast as well. And they both have worry about tazers and the overall super accurate cop mob shredding single shot glass cannons and unlucky dodge runners so it evens out without feeling like the player can just nuke everything. Just give the Bow actual relevance to the game like the buff tried to do as we should make more guns worthwhile.

Yeah, I'm evaluating them independent of 1D since 1D (and a bunch of spawns in general) is so broken right now. On bulldozer spawns, you're absolutely right! As a part of the 1D update, Bulldozers now only spawn in groups of two on DW up, without support. I don't have the spawnlist yet(he whole arrangement has changed with percent chances, conditional substitution spawns, etc) but it looks like, functionally speaking, on 1D the game spawns a new pair very often after a pair dies.

More File Fun:
  • There are at least three spawn groups that are straight up either 2 or four shields, optionally with a medic.
  • Tasers may also only spawn in pairs.
  • Generally, it looks like almost all spawngroups are composed of x number of a particular unit, plus a medic depending on how many are on the map. A large amount of work went into a system that effectively makes the enemy spawns more homogeneous.
  • Tasers and Cloakers are the only units that can ever use smoke grenades (not all of them can).
  • Similarly, only some shotgun enemies (including shotgun medics) can use flash grenades.
  • Chavez's stats:
    N+H/VH/OVK/MH+DW+OD, 1000/3000/6000/9000
    2x headshot multiplier
    Immune to knockdown, concussion, ECM feedback, no taze/fire stunlock, can be counterstruck.
    Damage clamp for bullets and explosives of 800. This is probably before bonuses. Rapidfire is the name of the day. I don't have weapon stats for him, but it appears that he's a much less healthy, much less damaging version of the Biker Boss, who, by contrast, has 30k health on DW.

Halloween newz
Leaked files indicte that we may be getting a spooky cloaker unit.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 27, 2016

Soral
May 30, 2009

You seem kind of worked up about this, again. Have you considered taking a break?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Hopefully Lucy can relax and have a good Halloween off. :) (No sarcasm, just wanting all of us to get over that particular argument and not drag it up again.)

But if Vox's digging is right, does this mean we will have floating cloaker heads?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Hopefully Lucy can relax and have a good Halloween off. :) (No sarcasm, just wanting all of us to get over that particular argument and not drag it up again.)

But if Vox's digging is right, does this mean we will have floating cloaker heads?

singing cloaker heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFVvMgLWrS4

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Psion / chorse you guys aren't the best marks for skill anyway, I vaguely recall you guys doing death wish heists with no skills and amcars for fun.

I have this dumb theory that One Down was designed exactly for the kind of people that would do Death Wish Tabula Rasa or whatever and be very vocally upset that the game was too easy. Is One Down well designed? No. Is it effective at being a difficulty that only the smug 1% can complete (whether it's ability or apathy that prevents the rest)? Currently, I'd say so. One Down can exist for a while as it is to appease the hardcore fans, and Death Wish is slightly harder for them to go back to and enjoy when they're done with it. In a while One Down will be easier and the smug hardcore nerds will have to go back to saying "yeah well look at my achievement dates, I did One Down when it was hard! WITHOUT BOWS!!!!"

Or something. I dunno. It's a dumb theory.

e: Oh yeah and making Death Wish harder but introducing Mayhem was supposed to ease that for general players. Too bad Mayhem is a failure of a difficulty.

ClonedPickle fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 28, 2016

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Afraid of Audio posted:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

I love how this avatar has become an emote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i love chuck