Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's cool how the candidacy of the Most Progressive Candidate Ever has led to people for real arguing that drug decriminalization is a sexist regressive bro position and is actually bad

i honestly don't have much problem with Hillary herself, but her supporters? :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

fishmech posted:

No, in a ton of states, underage people don't have to drink secretly/illegally at all. They can legally drink all they want in multiple different sorts of scenarios, especially if they're willing to do it with their parents or other adults supervising. They can even pound beer at a bar or have a bunch of wine with dinner at a restaurant in 10 states and be within the bounds of the law - with proper supervision.

Nevertheless you don't see really see less binge drinking in Louisiana or Nevada or New Jersey despite those states in particular having a bunch of allowances for legal underage drinking. Nor do you really see less binge drinking in the other states that only have one or two exceptions allowing underage drinking, like Illinois, Massachusetts or Texas.

That doesn't really account for when/where most underage binge drinking occurs -- which is on college campuses.

icantfindaname posted:

it's cool how the candidacy of the Most Progressive Candidate Ever has led to people for real arguing that drug decriminalization is a sexist regressive bro position and is actually bad

Oh I am glad you're back for more stupidity.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fangz posted:

Don't post that chart, that study is really dubious. What they did was that they surveyed a bunch of people, noted that the amount they said they consumed didn't match sales numbers, and then multipled everything to make the two match.

Far more likely that there's underaged drinking, drinks purchased but not consumed, and that a lot of the teetotlers are not as teetotal as they say they are.

That's honestly a relief to hear.

icantfindaname posted:

Lol who the gently caress is arguing that.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

BarbarianElephant posted:

Smoking pot is an activity that is very linked to masculinity in culture. If you bring up in your mind the picture of an archetypal stoner, do you see a man or a woman? That's why men are more pro-pot. They've actually done it, or rather done it enough to enjoy it.

Counterpoint: Half the customers at the trap house I roomed in were women.
Although mind you sexual politics do come into play. These guys would smoke a bowl morning, afternoon and night but always singled out a girl who loved to party as a an unnecessary corrupting influence on them.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

No, in a ton of states, underage people don't have to drink secretly/illegally at all. They can legally drink all they want in multiple different sorts of scenarios, especially if they're willing to do it with their parents or other adults supervising. They can even pound beer at a bar or have a bunch of wine with dinner at a restaurant in 10 states and be within the bounds of the law - with proper supervision.

Nevertheless you don't see really see less binge drinking in Louisiana or Nevada or New Jersey despite those states in particular having a bunch of allowances for legal underage drinking. Nor do you really see less binge drinking in the other states that only have one or two exceptions allowing underage drinking, like Illinois, Massachusetts or Texas.

It's almost as if drinking, smoking, and having fun are things that people like to do. We need to study this more!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Apraxin posted:

Wow. Do you know if by 'Americans' it's including the whole country or only people who can legally drink? As much as 60%-70% of the adult population consuming one drink or less per week is really surprising to me.

Yeah a little more info would be good. I did not quite expect to find myself where I seem to be on this chart. :beerpal:

edit: this makes more sense thanks!

Fangz posted:

Don't post that chart, that study is really dubious. What they did was that they surveyed a bunch of people, noted that the amount they said they consumed didn't match sales numbers, and then multipled everything to make the two match.

Far more likely that there's underaged drinking, drinks purchased but not consumed, and that a lot of the teetotlers are not as teetotal as they say they are.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

To be fair, I imagine most people, including restaurant/bar owners, don't even know those provisions exist. I didn't and was surprised to learn that just now about MA. When my wife's whole family was in town, we couldn't get her 19 y/o sister into a bar that started carding after 10pm, and we certainly both get carded (age 30) when out with the parents.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

As bad as Republicans are now, you can always depend on a libertarian to be worse :patriot:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's interesting that the "cosmopolitan" level of drinking of a glass or two of wine with dinner is only about 20% of the population. Everyone else drinks once in a blue moon or never.
Yeah, when I was growing up my mum would have one or two glasses with dinner, never any more than that, never anything harder than wine, never got drunk. But going by the definition of a standard drink, and looking at that chart, she drank more than 80%+ of the population!

Fangz posted:

As others have said, that's a relief.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 27, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

Nevertheless you don't see really see less binge drinking in Louisiana

well i assume they rule out the tourists in new orleans for those measurements

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

A weird part of the problem may be how uneven the distribution of alcohol consumption is in this country. Thirty percent of Americans don't drink at all, so these kids' parents may not have a drinking culture.

Nevvy Z posted:

If I'm reading this right 10% of Americans are straight up alcoholics. I find this worrying.

Define the size of a 'drink' though and alcohol content.
If its a US beer can size, which is smaller than most places in the world, they will need to drink more drinks to get the same pissed drunk.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gary did the right thing- scream that he didn't want to discuss tax reform and instead started talking about weed legalization. This is a candidate I can support...

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

happyhippy posted:

Define the size of a 'drink' though and alcohol content.
If its a US beer can size, which is smaller than most places in the world, they will need to drink more drinks to get the same pissed drunk.

1. It's alcohol units, and 2. that line about US beer is stupid and untrue. We measure alcohol content differently so the numbers written on the can are smaller, but that doesn't mean anything. And the american craft brew fad is all about cramming as much ABV into a beer as possible. Update your stereotypes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Night10194 posted:

I honestly can't listen to him speak directly. Something in his voice and cadence just makes me incredibly angry.

Same. Having grown up in a part of Florida where a lot of washouts from NJ/NY land, that accent brings me right back to all the times when the lovely neighbor from Newak got in fights with the lovely neighbor from Lawn Guyland and the other lovely neighbor from Staten Island living across the street took a break from drinking pissbeer to try acting as a grand mediator and ended up being the punchline to "A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ENTERED THE RING."

For all the flak those parts of the metropolis take, it's the stinking, racist dregs of their society that end up in the already festering swamp that is Flawrda. Trump has the same manner of speaking and the same lovely Jersey Shore Housewives gesticulations to go with it. He embodies nearly all that was bad in my formative years, nice as they were overall. His is the visage of northern racism, lovely pizza, obsessive rentseeking, and hatred of intellectual curiosity. While I have no faith in his capability to feel shame, I'm hoping that he loses so embarrassingly that he's rendered incapable through physical and mental stress of returning to the public eye in any role other than the defendant in endless criminal and civil litigation. I hope his family's brand never recovers and that society, once finished paving over the embers of his movement, salts the night soil he came from.

Lol that's never going to happen and the stench of trumpism will forever tickle our collective nostrils.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, time to start Arzying!!!!1
(This one one of the top stories on Drudge, btw.)

http://www.wctrib.com/news/local/4144816-trump-comes-out-ahead-willmar-high-school-mock-election

quote:

Trump comes out ahead in Willmar High School mock election

WILLMAR — Donald Trump got the most votes in a mock presidential election Tuesday at Willmar Senior High School, but Hillary Clinton was fewer than 30 votes behind.

About 40 percent of the school's 1,200 students participated in the election, part of a first-ever statewide mock election in the state's high schools. Statewide, 282 high schools across the state are participating in Minnesota Students Vote 2016, an effort of the secretary of state's office. Statewide results will be released Nov. 1.

Individual schools could choose how they wanted to conduct the election. In Willmar, students visited a polling station outside the cafeteria during their lunch periods.

During the school's four lunch periods, 514 students cast ballots. Trump was at the top with 207 votes, to Clinton's 179 votes. Others receiving votes included 41 for Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson and 17 for Dan Vacek, the candidate for the Legal Marijuana Now Party. Thirty-six ballots had write-in votes, and all other candidates on the ballot polled in single digits.

With help of the school's Key Club, sponsored by Kiwanis in Willmar, the polling station was organized to mimic the system adult voters will use Nov. 8.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

1. It's alcohol units, and 2. that line e about US beer is stupid and untrue. We measure alcohol content differently so the numbers written on the can are smaller, but that doesn't mean anything. And the american craft brew fad is all about cramming as much ABV into a beer as possible. Update your stereotypes.

How are you so constantly wrong about everything :psyduck:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xarthor posted:

http://www.wctrib.com/news/local/4144816-trump-comes-out-ahead-willmar-high-school-mock-election

This has to do with pepe, for sure.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

icantfindaname posted:

i honestly don't have much problem with Hillary herself, but her supporters? :yikes:

Drug legalisation is classically a libertarian issue, not a left wing one. It's more important to the left these days because of the connection to mass imprisonment issues, but don't forget that it was the left that pushed prohibition and restrictions on smoking.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Xarthor posted:

Someone tell Bill Mitchell!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

To be fair, I imagine most people, including restaurant/bar owners, don't even know those provisions exist. I didn't and was surprised to learn that just now about MA. When my wife's whole family was in town, we couldn't get her 19 y/o sister into a bar that started carding after 10pm, and we certainly both get carded (age 30) when out with the parents.

They don't and research shows most binge drinking in the US occurs at ages 18-21, among college students. There are cases of it starting sooner, but those are typically outliers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Xarthor posted:

Some parents need to start beating their kids more. Or less. I can't really tell.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So as of today Republicsns have outnumbered Democratic early voters in Florids by .5%. IIRC back in 2012 the gap was by 4-5% in favor of the Republicans. Am I comparing apples to apples? Because that sure implies to me that the Republicans are going to get utterly smashed in Florida on Election Day if they lost so much early voting ground.

No, because all of this week's in person voting has happened in days added back to Early Voting after the 2012 election. The 3% lead in Republican ballots was all Absentee Ballots as of the equivalent of this upcoming Saturday.(I'm pretty sure it was 5 days that were added back)

When in person early voting ends on the 5th, we can compare the 2012 and 2016 early vote totals for an apples to apples comparison. Until then we're at best comparing Granny Smiths and Fujis.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xarthor posted:

I see they're getting kinda desperate, huh.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fangz posted:

Drug legalisation is classically a libertarian issue, not a left wing one. It's more important to the left these days because of the connection to mass imprisonment issues, but don't forget that it was the left that pushed prohibition and restrictions on smoking.

I thought Prohibition was largely due to religious conservatives?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

How are you so constantly wrong about everything :psyduck:

How is she wrong about that? Most of the craft beers I've seen are proud that their ABV is higher than "mainstream" beers.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

1. It's alcohol units, and 2. that line about US beer is stupid and untrue. We measure alcohol content differently so the numbers written on the can are smaller, but that doesn't mean anything. And the american craft brew fad is all about cramming as much ABV into a beer as possible. Update your stereotypes.

I think he's talking about the fact that most US cans are around 330ml of beer, whereas in Europe and the UK it's 500-568ml a can usually.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

And the american craft brew fad is all about cramming as much ABV into a beer as possible. Update your stereotypes.

This is sadly wrong. American craft brew fad is all about cramming as much IBU into a beer as possible. There aren't that many 15%+ imperial stouts floating around.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Trump Academies aren't Charter Schools.

They'll obviously be funded by the Government, run by appropriate Trump Staff, the students will be fed only the Best Trump Meals (That the government purchases from Trump Lunch Industries). In fact, Trump will make every meal mandatory for all children, and the Government has to buy twice as many meals as there are students in each school, because otherwise what if a student is still hungry? You can't have that, and only Trump Lunch Industries provides the required lack of safety regulations, heavy metal poisoning, and rat byproduct to allow children to reach their full potential.

:lol: if you think Trump and Co. in this hypothetical would simply guarantee children get fed in school instead of forcing them to buy it at an upcharge, not giving a single drat if they go hungry or not.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

The religious left was a thing back then.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It feels like at the moment Fox and the GOP are really, really trying to grab on to anything that suggests it won't be a total blowout to keep their people from despairing, to make sure they'll get out and vote.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WampaLord posted:

How is she wrong about that? Most of the craft beers I've seen are proud that their ABV is higher than "mainstream" beers.

It's a characterization about craft beers. Even if they do, on average, have a higher ABV than "mainstream" beers [there's whole sub-debate about definition of craft beer, but I don't have the effort for it], it isn't because they set out to do that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fangz posted:

The religious left was a thing back then.

A lot of the support for prohibition came from people who thought lowering alcohol consumption might help with the epidemic of domestic violence.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fishmech posted:

Aside from the exceptions being confusing, many of them are limited to parental supervision, which means you can only drink with your parents, not friends. What fun is that?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fangz posted:

Uhhh... I'm skeptical of the claims laid forth.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Not to attack you but seriously, as depressing and odd as it sounds, many men who say things like this, or even sincerely believe they do most or all of the housework turn out to be doing less than half when it's objectively measured. There's just so much stuff women do that men aren't even aware needs doing.

The thing that used to trip us up at home was the basic conceptual task of defining discursively what we each understood trictly and undeniably as "things that need doing" re: house hold chores; my wife and I have pretty wildly differing views of that. I'm all on board on the shopping/cooking/fundamentals of cleaning/laundry/kid-rearing business but it just seems to be that there's a couple of additional tiers of "need doing" that exist for my wife that I just simply don't see as "necessary" in the same sense of the word.

Like I somehow survived from age 18 to 28 without the bi-monthly dustings of the floor panels or bi-weekly laundry days. I didn't see that as "things that needed to be done" any more than I saw "keeping a full freezer" or "watering the plants" as necessary for my happiness or well being at all. Then I got married and apparently "sweeping and shaking the rug outside the kitchen door" is now a "thing that needs to be done". Like, okay I'll do it no problemo because you appreciate having a clean door step apparently, and it makes you happy, but in what universe is that a thing that [needs to be done?

Or just the other day there's this thing at my kid's kindergarten and the parents are supposed to bring a dish or some food or whatever and I'm like great, I'll pick up some stuff from the grocery store and slap it in a bowl and that'll be the end (had I been a single dad that would've 100% been the end of it) of it but apparently, what needed to be done here was to spend 2.5 hours baking home made pies the night before the thing. Like ok, honey, I get that this is important to you and that you care about the food we give our kids and the impressions we make on the other parents etc but on a discourse level, the definition of "necessary" is kinda slipping here.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

It's complicated - as Fangz says, there was a religious left, and prohibition was one of the first issues early American feminists rallied around. People don't realize how much men drank back then. Men drinking away their whole paychecks and coming home and beating their wives was an actual widespread public health issue. We all make fun of Prohibition's "failure" but it absolutely did work - it changed the pattern of American alcohol consumption permanently for the better.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

And the american craft brew fad is all about cramming as much ABV into a beer as possible. Update your stereotypes.

You first. :mad:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Like Wikipedia says

quote:

The American Temperance Society (ATS), also known as the American Society for the Promotion of Temperance was a society established on February 13, 1826 in Boston, MA.[1][2] Within five years there were 2,220 local chapters in the U.S. with 170,000 members who had taken a pledge to abstain from drinking distilled beverages. Within ten years, there were over 8,000 local groups and more than 1,250,000 members who had taken the pledge.[3][4]

The society benefited from, and contributed to, a reform sentiment in much of the country promoting the abolition of slavery, expanding women's rights, temperance, and the improvement of society. Possibly because of its association with the abolitionist movement, the society was most successful in northern states.

Like I would say that the classic left wing view on the drug war is that it's in principle reasonable for the government to intervene in the distribution of harmful substances, but the execution of this has proven impractical or even vindictively unjust, and has led to many bad social consequences. This is a lot weaker than the libertarian viewpoint that it's none of the government's business.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

WampaLord posted:

perhaps a higher abv is simply a consequence of brewing a more robust and flavorful beer, rather than the raison d'etre of making craft beers....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, alcoholism was normalized to a really unhealthy degree. It really was a huge social issue across the country.

• Locked thread