Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Triple posting to say: a year ago, 6 months ago, would a Roderick Strong debut have landed with a whisper?

There's been so many big debuts that it takes a lot more to make a splash these days. Unless they sign Ricochet or some more New Japan main eventers I don't think the ISEC will explode again.

Especially hurt by the fact his first clear direction is the second half of a tag team that nobody expects to win the Dusty Classic much less take the titles off of The Revival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Triple posting to say: a year ago, 6 months ago, would a Roderick Strong debut have landed with a whisper?

WWE has made a dizzying array of pickups in the last year or two and not everyone is going to be a success story. There's only so many slots to fit into the broadcast.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fans might also be tempering their expectations after Crews flopped so hard

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i liked roderick strong in 2004 and 2005, and didnt like triple h during those years but didn't become angry toward him. It's a coincidence

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

IcePhoenix posted:

Fans might also be tempering their expectations after Crews flopped so hard

I remember his "can you kick my rear end?" match with Finn Balor, in which Finn Balor kicked his rear end.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I think that part of it is how Roddy ended his time on the indies. He was mostly treading water in ROH and PWG is a niche product without huge distribution. So he didn't come in with the buzz of all the NJPW guys or the decade of dreaming behind Joe in WWE. We also just saw a huge influx of names with the Cruiserweight Classic so nothing is shocking.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I didn't care about Roddy before. I don't really feel I've been given a reason to care now about Austin Aries But Less So in NXT

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm not even sure who WWE could bring in and have it be shocking anymore unless you go for completely ridiculous options like Tanahashi or Punk.

Even then, I probably would have put Goldberg on that list and didn't feel that surprised when they announced he was coming back.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Surely Okada would be shocking as well

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Surely Okada would be shocking as well

Yeah. Tanahashi or Punk wasn't an exhaustive list. I guess Okada coming it at some point is far more likely than those guys because of his age though. I'd be surprised and think it was really cool but not stunned like I was when they signed AJ and Nakamura.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Speaking of Roddy and Aries, Aries got injured at a house show in Fresno, CA last night when Nakamura accidentally kicked him in the face. Big cut, black eye, possible jaw damage. He is being examined to see what level of injury he has, but they had to stop the match immediately after the blow. Best wishes to the small arrogant man, of course.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Clypse12/status/791506814202290176

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Basic Chunnel posted:

the only thing that matters is the PPV.

yea this is the biggest problem with NXT for me. Even when the title comes off someone any excitement of, "they'll be on the main roster soon!" is immediately tempered by knowing their rematch is ~2-3 months away first, and the new champ is even further away. I don't know whether the answer is more Takeovers or more title matches week to week, but the long wait for rematches before leaving really burns my excitement out. Nakamura, Asuka, and The Revival are roughly 6 months or more from the main roster if they don't just appear while still holding their NXT titles. Plus that assumes they'll have a credible opponent to go over them twice in that span, which I don't see happening either at least for Nakamura/Asuka without some fuckery (which, I think having a stable like Sanity would help move that along).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The span between Takeovers and NXT/WWE's boner for rematches (gently caress the "rematch clause") took its toll on me. I'm glad they at least mixed it up by having The Revival win their rematch over American Alpha, but in general I'm tired of rematches.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shine posted:

I'm tired of rematches.

:same:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Shine posted:

The span between Takeovers and NXT/WWE's boner for rematches (gently caress the "rematch clause") took its toll on me. I'm glad they at least mixed it up by having The Revival win their rematch over American Alpha, but in general I'm tired of rematches.

Yeah, I have to agree. It's always nice when they announce a cool title match like Asuka vs. Bayley or Nakamura vs. Joe but it's a bit spoiled by the fact that you now know that this is going to be it for like five months.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think Balor/Joe is when the rematch thing really started to become obnoxious. Owens and Zayn got rematches but it still felt things got mixed up and there were plenty of viable challengers. When Owens was champ, he had Zayn, Balor and Joe all gunning for him. No-one else on the roster even seems to acknowledge Nakamura's existence, let alone talk about trying to get into title contention.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I been sayin it since Brooklyn I - the general explosion in roster size did away with the title-centric vibe of the show and the influx of Name talents created credibility problems for the midcard where there were none before. 2 years ago all you needed to get into title contention was overness with the audience, now you have to be a guy established elsewhere. Tye has been Tyler Breeze 2 for awhile and it's only now that he even shows up on a Takeover card (where consistent booking dictates that he'll job to Roode, who's next in line to challenge for the title).

Of course the roster expansion was largely spurred by the development of NXT as a legitimate Brand with ambitious tours. Maybe we all necessitated this by being excited about the product.

What I'm saying is, I'm the rovert of NXT complaints

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Was it Neville beating Bo Dallas or Zayn beating Neville that made the title scene "YOU MUST BE THIS INDIE TO RIDE", because after Sami the belt went to KO, Finn, Joe, and Nak. I can't even think of a homegrown talent that might be rehabbed up to title contention in a few months. Maybe if they have Tye Dillinger beat Roode and strap a rocket to him?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Was it Neville beating Bo Dallas or Zayn beating Neville that made the title scene "YOU MUST BE THIS INDIE TO RIDE", because after Sami the belt went to KO, Finn, Joe, and Nak. I can't even think of a homegrown talent that might be rehabbed up to title contention in a few months. Maybe if they have Tye Dillinger beat Roode and strap a rocket to him?

Tye and No Way Jose are the only homegrown male singles wrestlers with any build. Patrick Clark would probably be next on the totem pole after them.

And it was definitely around the time Zayn became champ. Breeze was built up as a contender to Neville and Corbin was on the level where you'd think he'd have a chance.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i'd be pretty upset if Tye loses to Roode, considering how he's a great example of turning poo poo around for a homegrown talent. sure you can have Bobby win but a loss won't really hurt his stock and it'd do wonders for Tye.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah but the goal of the show for the past two three years has been to prove that the indies are a lot better than WWE in every way (tag teams excepted) so of course Roode will win

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/newfoundmass/status/791688813420609537

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Roode is winning. I can't think of a single reason they'd have Tye win the match, even though I'd love for Tye to get a push. Hell, Tye should've been drafted during the brand split and should be going for a midcard belt right now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

Also Aliyah keeps winning me over. I wasn't really sold at first because her entire storyline on Breaking Ground was "she sucks," but she's got some moves and looks to be finding her confidence. If she can nail down the ring psychology and find a way to elevate the match beyond "move, pause, move, pause, etc." then she could be An Actual Thing in the women's division.
Yeah, by all reports she's been the hardest working trainee at improving her ring game. She apparently takes direction really well and has vastly improved since BG.

Any word on another season of BG yet?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ember Moon getting a hot debut at a Takeover and then disappearing from TV is loving baffling

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Benne posted:

Ember Moon getting a hot debut at a Takeover and then disappearing from TV is loving baffling

they're still using her at house shows all over the place--the california tour has pics of her in various matches. probably will start getting on TV again at Full Sail after the Toronto PPV. she had like 4 tryouts over 8 years so they probably want to make sure she can go full steam if they put her over Asuka.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think there was too much of a gap between him leaving the indies and debuting on NXT TV. Everyone knew he was coming, but he wasn't a Kevin Steen-level 'get' so there wasn't the kind of hype that would exist no matter when he debuted. Plus the angle for debuting him was kind of flat because anybody who knew who Roddy was could instantly tell he would be Aries' mystery partner as soon as that was announced.

Roddy should really be at Roode's position on the card ASAP because he's ten times the worker Roode is, but Roode got a theme song people like so they have to ride that out I guess.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Tye and No Way Jose are the only homegrown male singles wrestlers with any build. Patrick Clark would probably be next on the totem pole after them.

And it was definitely around the time Zayn became champ. Breeze was built up as a contender to Neville and Corbin was on the level where you'd think he'd have a chance.

Jose isn't really homegrown. His career hadn't gotten beyond regional indies before getting signed by WWE, but he wasn't trained by them and had already been wrestling for at least a few years before getting offered a contract.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Roddy should really be at Roode's position on the card ASAP because he's ten times the worker Roode is, but Roode got a theme song people like so they have to ride that out I guess.
There's more to being a main eventer than being a good worker, though. We've seen that way too many times, especially on the main roster with where the likes of Sami Zayn and Cesaro are.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yes, it really did hurt the women a lot by losing Alexa and Carmella, mostly Alexa. NXT had it's midcard taken away, along with Bayley, so as a booker they had a champion and then a bunch of talent with no build. The best thing to do is give Asuka something to do (Liv, Mickie) while putting a couple people (The aussies) on winning streaks so they can at least be seen as someone to beat. My assumption is that Ember will show up to beat them and earn a title shot once they are established. I mean you could just have Ember beat random people and challenge for the title, but there wouldn't be much heat behind it.

The men are set up great right now with Roode and Aries as solid vets that give a decent bump to beat, it's perfectly poised for someone to get a push after the Takeover, I just don't know who that guy is or if he exists. Sadly it might have been Itami.

The weekly shows from 2014 and 2015 aren't better than what we have now, we just remember the big moments. The one thing I miss, and what they should do now, is the main roster people coming down to wrestle. The women especially would be well served for someone like Foxy to come down with a story similar to Kidd and put on some solid matches and give some cred to a Nikki or Billie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

AMReese posted:

There's more to being a main eventer than being a good worker, though. We've seen that way too many times, especially on the main roster with where the likes of Sami Zayn and Cesaro are.

That's a problem with raw and wwe booking. Not zayn and Cesaro.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Eltoasto posted:

The weekly shows from 2014 and 2015 aren't better than what we have now, we just remember the big moments. The one thing I miss, and what they should do now, is the main roster people coming down to wrestle. The women especially would be well served for someone like Foxy to come down with a story similar to Kidd and put on some solid matches and give some cred to a Nikki or Billie.

I think they stopped doing this because the wrestlers see it as a "demotion" and some were flat-out refusing the offer. IIRC Fox actually was one of those people.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

projecthalaxy posted:

Speaking of Roddy and Aries, Aries got injured at a house show in Fresno, CA last night when Nakamura accidentally kicked him in the face. Big cut, black eye, possible jaw damage. He is being examined to see what level of injury he has, but they had to stop the match immediately after the blow. Best wishes to the small arrogant man, of course.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Clypse12/status/791506814202290176
Yeah Nak hosed him up
:nws:
https://twitter.com/REALBobbyRoode/status/791723652379250688

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Call-ups ruined both NXT and the people called up from NXT tbh. Breeze had done about all he could in NXT but someone thought he was a goon after being called up and never got any traction. Same things with Baron Corbin who still had a little ways to go and is now stuck in Superstars Hell feuding with Jack Swagger or something. Apollo Crews lost the most because he didn't even get a chance in NXT before Vince saw him and pulled him up immediately, and Nia Jax is stuck in a tough position on RAW where she's just squashing jobbers but there's no place for her in the title pictures because there's still too many stories left to tell between Bayley, Sasha, and Charolette.

Getting sent to Smackdown is probably the best you could ask for right now, they have pretty good writing and good talent. Alexa Bliss has a great position in Smackdown right now but people hate her and I don't know why. I still don't know what Tye would ever do on the main roster besides immediately get sunk into Superstars or form a make-shift tag-team and have all his momentum blown out.

I think too many TNA guys at once on the NXT roster is hurting them. It when Samoa Joe could be the end-boss for NXT and treated like a huge star, and I can see some appeal in Bobby Roode being an old-school heel type, but they keep bringing in more and more. What do you do with AA? With TNA on its last legs there could be even more free talent.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

The_Rob posted:

That's a problem with raw and wwe booking. Not zayn and Cesaro.
I know. I'm more saying that WWE doesn't really look for just "good workers". You have to do a lot more than that for them to actually care about booking you properly.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:eyepoop:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Benne posted:

There's something I will talk about coming up on NXT TV.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You gonna be on NXT TV Rov? Congrats.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Answering this would be a spoiler.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

RacistGuidingLight posted:

No, no, no, he was on NXT TV 2 weeks ago. (Pretend I posted a picture of a random audience member from 2 weeks ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Pretend I posted the sign at one of the takeovers that said "Rovert knew 2 weeks ago"

• Locked thread