Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
monster hunter generation x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Inflammatory posted:

monster hunter generation x

Monster Hunter Greatest Generation

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Minrad posted:

gently caress, i wanted to post this

also Monster Hunter GG wouldn't be the worst title and is pretty much its own pun like double cross

Monster Hunter Good Game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

From Capcom's perspective I get why they're doing it, but man it would've been a nice coup for Nintendo to work out a deal to get a MH game as a Switch launch title.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Tender Bender posted:

From Capcom's perspective I get why they're doing it, but man it would've been a nice coup for Nintendo to work out a deal to get a MH game as a Switch launch title.

Well they still might be, they just can't tell us until Nintendo lifts the embargo on Switch announcements next year.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lets hang out posted:

Worked super well for the wiiu

It's me, I'm the monster hunter Wii U buyer

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I got it for Wii U like 18 months after it came out for $20 and it got me addicted to the point I bought a new 3ds and 4U at launch. But playing it on a TV with a real controller owns which is why every night I pray we get MH Switch soon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BMan posted:

It's me, I'm the monster hunter Wii U buyer

:hf:
I bought it when I bought my Wii U about a year ago because I wanted something to tide me over until MHG. All I really succeeded at was remembering how much I hate underwater fights.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Neo_Crimson posted:

I hope they give some sort of discount if you have Generations.

This and any unrest regarding Double Cross/ Generations +/ "aerial cats gone wild" assumes that we're actually going to receive a localized version :sigh:. Anytime a MH title escapes Japan is worth a tiny celebration after years of getting overlooked. Missing PS2's Dos meant practically nobody here got to see its neat day/night cycles and seasons. PSP/PS3's Portabale 3rd kept palicos to itself for years. Not a single Poka Airou Village escaped despite its 3DS psuedo-expansion, even its text light 'Totally Not Puzzle Fighter' spinoff of a spinoff. Less-than-anticipated sales puts Stories in localization jeopardy if it was ever in the running at all.

Nothing is ever a safe bet in this series. Enjoy the Generations you have, for the Next Generations may never be.

... Well, translated anyway. If you're stubborn enough even a total uncomprehension of the written language will fail to keep you away! Now if only I knew why my baby kut-ku turned blue. Maybe it didn't like my cat's gingham skirt set :nyoron:?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Man... I just bought this like a week ago. On the other hand I do love Barioth...

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

SassyRobot posted:

This and any unrest regarding Double Cross/ Generations +/ "aerial cats gone wild" assumes that we're actually going to receive a localized version :sigh:. Anytime a MH title escapes Japan is worth a tiny celebration after years of getting overlooked. Missing PS2's Dos meant practically nobody here got to see its neat day/night cycles and seasons. PSP/PS3's Portabale 3rd kept palicos to itself for years. Not a single Poka Airou Village escaped despite its 3DS psuedo-expansion, even its text light 'Totally Not Puzzle Fighter' spinoff of a spinoff. Less-than-anticipated sales puts Stories in localization jeopardy if it was ever in the running at all.

Nothing is ever a safe bet in this series. Enjoy the Generations you have, for the Next Generations may never be.

... Well, translated anyway. If you're stubborn enough even a total uncomprehension of the written language will fail to keep you away! Now if only I knew why my baby kut-ku turned blue. Maybe it didn't like my cat's gingham skirt set :nyoron:?

I know that things have been dire for a while but ever since 4U Capcom has REALLY been pushing to bring Monster Hunter over here when it shows up in Japan. The main focus of that game, in fact, was to develop a great deal of Western-exclusive content, such as options for tutorials or certain event gear or even the pretty incredible focus on properly localizing the story. They've also been hoping that, as time passes, the stretch of time between Japanese release and Western release will grow smaller and smaller until they're almost simultaneous releases.

A lot of the reason we missed out on so much in the Sony era was that Sony was poo poo at marketing the series in the West; looking at their Western marketing, you'd never even guess that the series was as huge of a deal as it was in Japan. It was Nintendo that really pushed the marketing in the West, and they've been refining that over the years since Tri to make more and more people aware of - and actually interested in - the series over here. Even on a totally practical financial outlook, in the Sony era the series sold a piddly amount over here because nobody knew about it, the people who did mostly didn't get it or outright hated it, and reviews repeatedly panned it; meanwhile, 4U and Generations get really good reviews over here and sell literal millions of copies.

Now this is just regarding the mainline series, not Airou Village or Stories. Those are up in the air, yes, but as far as the main series goes (including X/Generations), those have much, much higher hopes outside of Japan now.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

BabyRyoga posted:

There is always a G version, and it is untested how well such will sell in the rest of the world outside of Japan, providing both are released.

Of course it's been tested -- we got Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter Freedom (1/G), Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (2/2G), and Monster Hunter Tri/3U (3/3G). Only getting 4U and not 4 is not the usual pattern. So I'm sure if Capcom feels happy enough to do it three times before that they're probably confident of making enough sales on XX to bring it over, particularly now that MH is more popular in the West than it's ever been before.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

They should make it so all instances of Blangonga will be replaced with Congola for Double Cross

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Pixeltendo posted:

They should make it so all instances of Yian Kut-Ku will be replaced with Qurupeco for Double Cross

Pixeltendo posted:

They should make it so all instances of Velocidrome will be replaced with Great Jaggi for Double Cross

Pixeltendo posted:

They should make it so all instances of Khezu will be replaced with Gigginox for Double Cross

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That was probably the biggest misstep of 4U, replacing the cool newer mons from 3 with their really dumb lovely "classic" counterparts.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I came into this prepared to be upset if they announced a G rank for Generations, because I thought I'd have to start all over and before I saw the direct I was already starting to bitch internally about how all the time I'd sunk into Generations was basically wasted.

By the end of the video I was totally okay with the prospect of starting over, and by the end of the video once I saw you should be able to transfer save data I'm completely on board with this. Can't wait to hunt whatever that saber tooth tigrex is. :dance: Not to mention all the other cool poo poo like laser winged Astalos or mother loving CAT STYLES! Maybe non-boomerang cats will actually be usable this time! Or maybe they'll add a way to heal besides the herb horn if you don't have last stand!

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Wrist Watch posted:

Can't wait to hunt whatever that saber tooth tigrex is. :dance:

That would be Barioth, I think? I've never played any of the monhuns with that particular catdragon in it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

I came into this prepared to be upset if they announced a G rank for Generations, because I thought I'd have to start all over and before I saw the direct I was already starting to bitch internally about how all the time I'd sunk into Generations was basically wasted.

By the end of the video I was totally okay with the prospect of starting over, and by the end of the video once I saw you should be able to transfer save data I'm completely on board with this. Can't wait to hunt whatever that saber tooth tigrex is. :dance: Not to mention all the other cool poo poo like laser winged Astalos or mother loving CAT STYLES! Maybe non-boomerang cats will actually be usable this time! Or maybe they'll add a way to heal besides the herb horn if you don't have last stand!

He's more like a Nargacuga that decided to play Ice Hockey. All shoulder checks all the time.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh yeah, that's him. Thought he was a new monster since I started with 4U.

This game's gonna own

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Barroth will be back, so all is well.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Squidtentacle posted:

Now this is just regarding the mainline series, not Airou Village or Stories. Those are up in the air, yes, but as far as the main series goes (including X/Generations), those have much, much higher hopes outside of Japan now.

Yeah, the reception the main series has improved dramatically, as has its attempts to aid new players instead of just dropping them off in their underwear with a box of starter weapons. The first game on PS2 was downright hostile without friends who knew what they were doing. Damned kids, not knowing the aggravation of manually removing and hauling crafting components to the blacksmith to forge something... the PSP edition was so much more manageable.

Even so, I trust Capcom as far as I can throw them. There's just no point lamenting for those who recently adopted Generations. Those in charge will localize whatever the hell they feel like whenever they get around to it (if ever). Playing out-of-region 3DS titles is less convenient than the PSP titles but it is possible. Network functions that require patches to remain up-to-date are the biggest obstacle for a non-native system, as far as I'm aware.

I think Airou Village DX is the least hampered; it can even pull extra quests down just fine. Sadly, it's the most pointless; I think G on the PSP has most of the same content and doesn't require weaseling to run unless you absolutely must send a horde of cats to tangle with a seregios. There's a mini-map that saves scrolling through locations via the menu but is essentially the same thing. The map can be toggled, though, for a viewing mode of your cat's model. Y'know, just in case you need a super-close look at a gumdrop-headed cat or their outfit. Since I liked overseeing the meownster hunter puppets the quests in Village appeal to me. It's a cross between that and a mellower Patapon. It's a nice, low-stress diversion after stabbing hyper rathalos in Generations :3:.

Hopefully Stories gets translated. I am in full favor of waiting longer for a localization as long as it happens eventually. Barioth-rider Amiibo!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Japan can keep their chibi JRPG monster hunter spinoff, tbh

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BMan posted:

Japan can keep their chibi JRPG monster hunter spinoff, tbh

I want to play Monster Hunter Stories, and also buy the Amiibos

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The felyne from stories freaks me out.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I kind of want the jrpg just so I can get destroyed by herbivores.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ignimbrite posted:

The felyne from stories freaks me out.

:agreed:

Just look at that loving face

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's good Meowth is still finding work.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want to play Monster Hunter Stories, and also buy the Amiibos

I want to have a baby Rathian (Rathalos?) friend to ride on.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I could see us getting stories. It seems like the sort of thing you'd buy for your kid's 2DS and I don't see most parents swapping those out for a personal Switch any time soon if ever. And plenty of the normal MH audience would likely buy it as well.

MHXX is cool and I hope it gets a Switch HD version. I've held off on MHG but will likely pick it up if it goes on an e-shop sale just so I can jump right into the new stuff and fully appreciate the balance changes whenever we get GG or whatever they'll call it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

It wasn't an assumption, Capcom flat out said they weren't going to do it back when Cross released.

I don't think they ever straight up said "We will definitely not be releasing a G version this iteration". They might have said something like "we want to stray away from releasing multiple versions per iteration".

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I believe the quote was that they wanted MHG to stay as its own game with no g-rank stuff since it was a spin-off title, and not a main part of the franchise

But I don't think they ever said they wouldn't do it.

quote:

When asked if Capcom would release a “G/Ultimate” version of Monster Hunter X, Shintaro Kojima (logically) answered that nothing had been decided yet. Right now, their goal is to make sure everyone can experience Monster Hunter X. Since players would simply wait for the expanded version, it wouldn’t make any sense at all to announce it (or even hint at it) several weeks before the release of the vanilla version.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hope they make the deviant stuff more fun and less painful.

thorsilver posted:

Yeah, the game will contain the new content and all the previous content. You can bring your save data into XX from X, so you can jump right into the new stuff if you've already beaten the hell out of X.

I drafted in my wife on translation duty to try to figure out what Brave Style actually is. What they described is that if you continuously attack the monster, you build up your 'Brave Meter'. Once it's full, you can new combos that you can't do normally, and your evades will be faster than normal as well.
So everyone's getting a Archdemon mode? Sounds a little unimaginative.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 28, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm like a hundred hours into this game and I literally just found out there are elder dragons in hub 3*. :negative: I guess I was in so much of a hurry that I never went over to the last couple pages.

All this time I was trying to figure out why things that otherwise wouldn't be hard to make wanted elder dragon blood, or why in the world the game let me unlock mining in pokke village if it wasn't going to give me another elder dragon fight until like 7*.

Also, at what point exactly do you uncap your hr in this game? I thought it was hitting 7* but I guess I have more to go. I'm probably going to shoot up pretty high, but I've been having fun dicking around and filling out quests so I never really got around to it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I want nothing to do with that jet engine Gore Magala, good lord that thing looks scary.

Good to hear you'll be able to transfer data over to GenX, I got super lazy with this game and am still only on HR3 :negative:

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Rascyc posted:

So everyone's getting a Archdemon mode? Sounds a little unimaginative.

No, that was the two-sentence vague description given during the Direct, it's pretty different from that in practice. Check out the gameplay videos from the Capcom Channel stream.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wrist Watch posted:

Also, at what point exactly do you uncap your hr in this game? I thought it was hitting 7* but I guess I have more to go. I'm probably going to shoot up pretty high, but I've been having fun dicking around and filling out quests so I never really got around to it.

Yeah, it's 8*. You fight HR Nakarkos as your urgent at the end of 7*, and then you'll probably jump to like HR 30 or 40. I went to HR 35.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The video made it look as if everyone gets a counter-attack similar to that Greatsword weapon art where you do a long charged attack, and if you get hit during it, you punish them for it.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The fact that there's an embargo on Switch releases until next year makes me hopeful that they are developing a Switch version alongside the 3DS version, and they just can't say anything yet. Probably not, though.

Instead of going to sleep on time last night, I did some fashion hunting:

A set built for hammer. Can't do a lot with some of these armor pieces, unfortunately. The hands, waist, and legs (e: and the head armor even, now that I think about it) are all from the set I've used all through HR which gives HG Earplugs/Windproof Hi/Speed Sharpening; the low-power versions are preserved. There's a waist that matches a bit better but I'd be sacrificing Earplugs for Windproof and I'd rather do it the other way around. Focus has to stay, luckily my +4 OOO FastCharge charm with a 3-slot Focus gem slotted in is effectively +8. I have a +5 charm, but only one slot. I also wonder if there's a better way to fit in more useful skills like Atk Up or maybe even Handicraft. I think I can do it by swapping out the legs/arms/waist more, but I'll need to get more materials to build some of the pieces that would help the most.

I was gonna use Torso Up to get the Focus originally but Duramboros mail is such a poor armor to use with the skill because of its lack of slots and the low amount of points it gives already. It's a drat shame because the armor looks so great. Hopefully XX remedies that by buffing the Dobo sets.

e2: Come to think of it, I can't even really call it "fashion hunting" if all I did was swap out the chest piece. gently caress it, I'll get armor set search.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 28, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Maleh-Vor posted:

The video made it look as if everyone gets a counter-attack similar to that Greatsword weapon art where you do a long charged attack, and if you get hit during it, you punish them for it.

They had live demo videos after the trailer and it's actually a stance you enter by holding the sheathe button. During the stance you gradually lose health and rapidly lose stamina, but in exchange you re-gain access to some of your moves that are otherwise locked off by the style and build brave meter for landing hits or dodging during it.

From what I could tell usually the most damaging moves are the ones that are locked and they're all buffed further once you max out your meter, alongside your dodges. The trailer was just cool shots compared to the demo providing a clear(er) look at what the style actually is. I think a website went up today so that might have more exact info on move-sets and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
actually, interesting argument to be had for hammer: marathon runner or stamina recovery up?

• Locked thread