Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

MA-Horus posted:

Part of what you pay for with Arc'terix and Patagonia poo poo is the quality control

You buy a $300 Patagonia rainproof jacket and 10 years down the road it starts to leak a little? Have a new jacket. Zipper breaks? Have a new jacket. Their customer support is loving jaw-droppingly good.

I'm really skeptical of this kind of rationalization. What's to stop some multinational conglomerate from buying Patagonia and cutting costs by scrapping QC? Sure, maybe they'll give you a new jacket, but it'll be a piece of poo poo. Or maybe after the buyout they just stop honoring that policy. I'm sure they're very nice jackets, but I wouldn't buy one for the warranty.

America has jaded me to good customer support. All the companies built off it end up bought by somebody and completely gutted to being just a name brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Urgh the jacket derail is so dumb, people look for different things so just buy what you like and can afford and leave it at that.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Signed by the author for 20 bucks

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Since there apparently isn't an EDC thread on SA (waht da heck?) I'll ask here: Does anyone use a key management system? I moved a while ago and the door to my flat isn't mounted as flush as my previous place, so now I keep hitting the doorframe and it's generally annoying to turn the key.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Since there apparently isn't an EDC thread on SA (waht da heck?) I'll ask here: Does anyone use a key management system? I moved a while ago and the door to my flat isn't mounted as flush as my previous place, so now I keep hitting the doorframe and it's generally annoying to turn the key.

How would a key management system help :confused:

e: Oh I'm guessing it means something completely different to EDC people? The question still stands.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Oct 27, 2016

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I just bought a new winter jacket from costco after returning my winter jacket from last year because it had a few stitches coming apart. Costco is pretty great! Where's that PYF costco thread!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

SEKCobra posted:

I had this issue at an old apartment and I bought a keysmart. Basically makes it so you have a longer tang to the key and it flattens your keys into the space of a pocket knife or pack of gum. The fact you can grip the keysmart and not the key to turn it means you don't have to worry about your hand having to cram into a tight spot. I ended up getting one for my dad who worked as a grounds keeper and has like 20 keys, he loved it.

To be clear I don't know the names of the part of keys so I'm using tang like in a chef's knife, same basic concept?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jerry Cotton posted:

How would a key management system help :confused:

e: Oh I'm guessing it means something completely different to EDC people? The question still stands.

I'm not part of the EDC crowd, but I meant some sort of "organized" keyring. Something like this would certainly work, but it doesn't really tingle my fancy:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

schreibs posted:

I just bought a new winter jacket from costco after returning my winter jacket from last year because it had a few stitches coming apart. Costco is pretty great! Where's that PYF costco thread!

PYF costco thread would just be pictures of cheap booze

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
I have both yuppie tech "outdoor" jackets and some carhardts, and while I would never hike in the carhardt, I agree with Bill that you're so out of touch with reality if you think any jacket you can get at REI is as durable as the heavy canvas beasts. Also lol at the idea of spending 300$ on a jacket just lol.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

FishBulb posted:

PYF costco thread would just be pictures of cheap booze

God drat your American Costcos. Best things at Canadian Costco are the socks and the hot dogs.

JACKET CHAT: Outdoor Research makes good stuff. Patagonia is delicious and super well made, but far too expensive - I want an M10 jacket but I don't hike/camp enough to justify it over my much cheaper, but less durable, OR shell. I splurged once on a Mountain Hardwear down jacket (Boxing Day sales, yeeeee) though, and it's the best goddamn thing ever. So waaaaaaarm.

If you're hiking, skiing etc a lot and need a hardshell, get a hardshell. If you just don't like getting wet/cold most of the time, don't bother with the super technical stuff, just get something you can afford and take good care of it, and DWR-treat it regularly if it has a DWR coating to extend its life for waaay longer than you thought possible. Just don't be that idiot wearing a down puff in the rain like so many people I see in downtown Vancouver...

As for real content: I bought a huge (1000+) pack of resistors for like, ten bucks. Basically set for electronics projects for the next while.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Oct 27, 2016

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I got an Alpha Industries bomber at Goodwill for literally a tenth of the retail price, it's the warmest poo poo and I'm always dry.

Well that's my story.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I have a calfskin jacket that retails for 1200 or so, i got it at a quarter of the price; it is very fragile and can't really get super wet, i dont suggest working construction in an oiled italian calfskin jacket. Not sure about the warranty.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Zahi posted:

I have both yuppie tech "outdoor" jackets and some carhardts, and while I would never hike in the carhardt, I agree with Bill that you're so out of touch with reality if you think any jacket you can get at REI is as durable as the heavy canvas beasts. Also lol at the idea of spending 300$ on a jacket just lol.

B...but...I can exchange my broken jacket 10 years later at Patagonia and theyll totally give me a brand new one for free :downs:

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Been wanting these for a while and I saw that they were lower than the manufacturer's price at the windows store of all places... Also got the XL size earpads and the boom mic attachment to turn it into a headset!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

B...but...I can exchange my broken jacket 10 years later at Patagonia and theyll totally give me a brand new one for free :downs:

This is legit. I've seen people do it. Their warranty/customer service is really that good. Outdoor Research are the same way.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
those expensive brands aren't always the best

i bought a marmot rain shell a few years ago for a trip to costa rica (it was widely reviewed as the best in class for warm weather rain shells) and after only a few months it had completely lost its water repellancy - had to go through a multistep wash/dry/iron process to "re-flow" the ploymer or whatever to get it to actually keep rain off of me (and it still kinda blows)

$100 for a jacket that ended up being a total pain and a piece of poo poo

my wife on the other hand bought some like $15 generic brand rain shell from amazon that has worked great for nearly 3 years with no problems

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

strangemusic posted:

This is legit. I've seen people do it. Their warranty/customer service is really that good. Outdoor Research are the same way.

You have to pay to get it mended, at least for Patagonia.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Zahi posted:

touch with reality if you think any jacket you can get at REI is as durable as the heavy canvas beasts. Also lol at the idea of spending 300$ on a jacket just lol.

You can believe that all you want friend, but it doesn't make it true.

And yes, breathable waterproof stuff has to be washed a few times per season or one's goonish oils will clog it up so it starts to wetout. You could drape a trash bag over your head and stay dry forever, but clearly that's not going to be ideal for sweating in.

Like, if you don't want to spend 300 bucks on a jacket that's fine, but it some serious bitter grapes poo poo to try to claim that the stuff doesn't work.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Every day I gut a tauntaun and snuggle into it for warmth.

Kinda smells though.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Actual content!

Goodwill for two bucks. Replaces my 1975 edition.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

queserasera posted:

Actual content!

Incredible book. I learned to cook with this. It's more valuable to me than any bible.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bongwizzard posted:

You can believe that all you want friend, but it doesn't make it true.

And yes, breathable waterproof stuff has to be washed a few times per season or one's goonish oils will clog it up so it starts to wetout. You could drape a trash bag over your head and stay dry forever, but clearly that's not going to be ideal for sweating in.

Like, if you don't want to spend 300 bucks on a jacket that's fine, but it some serious bitter grapes poo poo to try to claim that the stuff doesn't work.

Shouldn't ones goonish oils make the jacket MORE water resistant?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

queserasera posted:

Actual content!

Do the newer versions still have instructions on butchering a squirrel?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do the newer versions still have instructions on butchering a squirrel?

Mine had directions for squirrel, turtle, and beaver! I got it in the early 2000's

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Shouldn't ones goonish oils make the jacket MORE water resistant?

Naw, they clog up whatever space-age pores and poo poo that jacket breathable so the moisture is usually your own sweat. The outer layer needs to be cleaned and the water repellent coating refreshed because otherwise the water will sit and soak through anything after a while. You could avoid all this by buying non-breathable stuff, but that stuff is usually much heavier and you end up soaked in your own sweat at the end of the day anyway.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

strangemusic posted:

God drat your American Costcos. Best things at Canadian Costco are the socks and the hot dogs.

If you makes you feel any better the state of Maryland's liquor laws mean I cant buy booze at my costoco, or most places on a sunday. I need to move back to California.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I live in one of the few areas where they don't sell liquor at CostCo.
Then again, the next state over DOES and built a store as close to the border as possible.

I bought all the ingredients for apple pie cider for this weekend. The secret ingredient? Half of a gallon of everclear. So warm, so delicious.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

aricoarena posted:

If you makes you feel any better the state of Maryland's liquor laws mean I cant buy booze at my costoco, or most places on a sunday. I need to move back to California.

FWIW, Maryland's liquor laws vary by county. Some offer Sunday sales, some don't.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

bongwizzard posted:

Its not sour grapes. Its why you literally never see anyone working construction wearing patagonia or a logger wearing arcteryx. I once bought a nice fleece jacket from REI, it was about 100$ and the cut in the arms was a little too thin. Started falling apart after a few backpacking trips so now its my dog-walking fleece. Sure I can get it warrantied and replaced but I don't feel like wearing it when the fleece I got from some work wear place was 30$ and beats it hands down in comfort and warmth.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I will never take for granted the amazing liquor laws of my state. You want a beer Sunday at 7am and want it to go? No prob. Want to get a daiquiri in a drive thru? Sure thing, want a gallon or large?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Wait

Is a large bigger than a gallon?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

couldcareless posted:

I will never take for granted the amazing liquor laws of my state. You want a beer Sunday at 7am and want it to go? No prob. Want to get a daiquiri in a drive thru? Sure thing, want a gallon or large?

Umm, what state is this? Asking for a friend.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Sounds suspiciously like Arizona. My old apartment in downtown Phoenix had 3 liquor stores (one drive thru) within a mile. Even Mesa, with it's huge Mormon population, has drive thru liquor stores.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Zahi posted:

Its not sour grapes. Its why you literally never see anyone working construction wearing patagonia or a logger wearing arcteryx. I once bought a nice fleece jacket from REI, it was about 100$ and the cut in the arms was a little too thin. Started falling apart after a few backpacking trips so now its my dog-walking fleece. Sure I can get it warrantied and replaced but I don't feel like wearing it when the fleece I got from some work wear place was 30$ and beats it hands down in comfort and warmth.

That doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the reasons you don't see construction types wearing nice hiking stuff be more along the lines of that it's 1) expensive and as goons often remind me people get weird about big ticket items and 2) because of that even though the nice hiking stuff actually does stand up to regular rough wear just as well as carhart type stuff (and is as warm and comfortable except maybe for freedom of movement) , there's a lot more than that going on at a construction site (sharp stuff, paint, dirt, etc) and youre going to be less pissed when you muck up your 40 dollar carhart jacket than your 200 Patagonia one? I firmly believe that if wearing tech-y hike-y stuff was the best option construction workers would be doing it. The fact that they don't indicates to me that there's some reason why

For content I bought shoe goo, to reattach my sole protectors and a t shirt, a button down, and a sweater from uniqlo u that I like very much.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I remember liquor laws in Louisiana being VERY lax.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Coredump posted:

Umm, what state is this? Asking for a friend.

The great state of "former KKK leader qualified for US Senate debate" Louisiana.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I bought one of these hipster jackets that is neither $300 or a Carhartt. Now I can stand around in the weeds making a weird face at a tree or something

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

betterinsodapop posted:

I remember liquor laws in Louisiana being VERY lax.

I had a roommate from Louisiana describe how drive throughs would get around open container laws by leaving the paper on top of the straw in the daquiri.

I also bought some computer parts, and will be buying more tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Dog Case posted:

I bought one of these hipster jackets that is neither $300 or a Carhartt. Now I can stand around in the weeds making a weird face at a tree or something

link?

Bought a Penguin pea coat for like $75 at Nordstrom Rack over the summer but it's a bit too heavy for Los Angeles.