Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's a weird thing to say. There are plenty of places with child labor. Do you think once a person starts working it stops being a child? Is that how you justify child labor on your drug farm?

Yes, if I have them work from the time they're old enough to walk until the time they're adults, then it's not really child labor.

Also, i don't pay them with "money" so it's not really like I'm having them work for me. They're more like child volunteers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Nope, as I don't consider myself caucasian. I'm a mixed baby.

Random question- what's your favorite anime?

Angling for an ad hominem now? Your brilliant use of logical arguments continues to astound and amaze.

I'm chilling in a lobby right now, so I'll humor you. I don't watch much of any anime outside of One Piece, Berserk, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, the latter of which you've discerned from my avatar. Most of all anime is garbage, but there are a few stand-out exceptions to the rule.

Give it a shot sometime; 14-day trials on Crunchyroll are free!

Now let's trade questions since I just answered yours. I'll quote it since you just somehow managed to miss it:

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Here's a question for you: what work have you done outside of typing words at me on a forums? Or is your skin color enough to be smug and self-satisfied enough with?

This is what a real question relevant to the argument at hand looks like by the way, as opposed to your wind-up to an ad hominem. You may want to take notes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Why? There is nothing to be afraid of, unless they are rapist Nazis.

price gouging for their hobby

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

This was a fascinating read

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
How do companies in other countries handle when an employee comes back from taking a year+ long parental leave? With as thin staffed as American companies are, in smaller ones there is often only one person in a particular role unless there is so much work that it's impossible for one person to do the job. Do they hire people for a contracted period of time or shuffle around duties to other people (sucks for your coworkers because it's not like you're gonna get compensated for that extra work)? I totally support parental leave and poo poo but I honestly have no idea how it works from that perspective and I'm sure they've figured it out where it has been implemented

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Angling for an ad hominem now? Your brilliant use of logical arguments continues to astound and amaze.

I'm chilling in a lobby right now, so I'll humor you. I don't watch much of any anime outside of One Piece, Berserk, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, the latter of which you've discerned from my avatar. Most of all anime is garbage, but there are a few stand-out exceptions to the rule.

Give it a shot sometime; 14-day trials on Crunchyroll are free!

Now let's trade questions since I just answered yours. I'll quote it since you just somehow managed to miss it:

This is what a real question relevant to the argument at hand looks like by the way, as opposed to your wind-up to an ad hominem. You may want to take notes.

Be more specific- "what work have you done" is a tough question. Volunteer work? Actual employment? Military service? Work in which country?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Why? There is nothing to be afraid of, unless they are rapist Nazis.

For the record, I don't actually believe this and I know that it's just an irrational fear. And not literally every Trump supporter is human filth. But I'm mirroring EugenJ's stupid stupid argument.

Since when have conservative fears ever had to make sense? Even if they aren't all alt-righters terrified that they might not be getting the Thirird Reich they dream of, right wing media has fostered all sorts of irrational terrors that they convinced people will come if republicans don't rule absolutely everything.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yes, if I have them work from the time they're old enough to walk until the time they're adults, then it's not really child labor.

Also, i don't pay them with "money" so it's not really like I'm having them work for me. They're more like child volunteers.

Hehe. I like that you have a sense of humor about your red text. Most people either ignore it completely or start shouting whenever someone mentions it. You are a good sport with regards to that. Doesn't mean I agree with anything you say.

By the way, I like SA's red text system. But I'm kinda happy that I never pissed someone off enough to get such a gift. Getting hold of a credit card is sort of annoying around here.

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

price gouging for their hobby
My argument is not that there is nothing to fear. I'm saying that it's stupid to claim that the only people who fear President Trump are illegals. Just as it is stupid to claim that Hillary dislikes only Nazis. Was I really that obtuse? Sorry.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 27, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rscott posted:

How do companies in other countries handle when an employee comes back from taking a year+ long parental leave? With as thin staffed as American companies are, in smaller ones there is often only one person in a particular role unless there is so much work that it's impossible for one person to do the job. Do they hire people for a contracted period of time or shuffle around duties to other people (sucks for your coworkers because it's not like you're gonna get compensated for that extra work)? I totally support parental leave and poo poo but I honestly have no idea how it works from that perspective and I'm sure they've figured it out where it has been implemented
Probably by being less lovely at running a business, or at least more focused on things other than maximizing how much they can squeeze out of Labor

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Be more specific- "what work have you done" is a tough question. Volunteer work? Actual employment? Military service? Work in which country?

Are you really this dense and lazy or merely feigning ignorance? The context was about marijuana law reform, remember?

I linked my original post for a reason, stupid. Click it. :effort:

E: Or is it this thing again where anything posted before the current page is taboo?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mister Adequate posted:

Hey, don't lump us in with North Dakota or Idaho! Or eastern Montana! Or Billings. Or Butte. Or Helena.

Seriously though, this is mostly true, but overstated somewhat. MT is getting pretty urban and very gradually more diverse, and we were within like two points of going blue in 2008. I wouldn't say we're going to flip to safely blue anytime soon, but a few cycles down the road, purple could be plausible.

yeah. it's wyoming that's the republican stronghold. :v:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

rscott posted:

Depends from which class the hypothetical pregnant woman comes from. It's actually quite interesting to see the difference between women from the upper levels of society and poor women. It's common for rich women to leave the rearing of children to other women they hire as "live-in" servants while the poor women have to not only do their jobs but also care for their children while they work.

If you have any questions about how things work in Ecuador I can try to answer them as best I can.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

EugeneJ posted:

Why don't we have the illegals and the gun owners meet and sort out their differences

Woodstock 2016

I once took an illegal out with my rifle...

... to the range. :v:

She learned how to shoot and I learned something about poutine - That I still don't like it. :(

(Canadian, here technically illegally for awhile as Colorado wasn't recognizing same sex marriage stuff at the time - She and her wife are now happily married and she became a US citizen, and is working on a degree in astrophysics. She also shoots competitively!)

TLDR: People are awesome, and you should get to know them and share hobbies together.

I'm less than enamoured with Clinton (or Obama for that matter, and I voted for him twice) on gun issues, I think the "No Fly No Buy" idea strips away rights without any legal recourse which is a bad thing (ACLU agrees), and we disagree on how to implement universal background checks, but I agree with the vast majority of her other positions, and POTUS is largely a leadership position rather than a policymaking one, and I'm firmly convinced she's by far the most experienced and has the best temperment for the job.

Most of the gun owners I know are pretty much voting on non-gun issues this time around, as the gulf between the candidates is vast. I've got friends voting just about every which way, from traditional conservatives enthusiastically voting Clinton, to far left LGBT folks voting for Jill Stein because they see Hillary as corrupt/stole the nomination from bernie/remember her and her husbands former views on LGBT issues, to a few folks holding their nose and voting trump because they're convinced the republicans can control him once he's in office and they're terrified of a left leaning supreme court stripping away individual rights (property/business/religious/etc).

I honestly don't know anyone voting for trump because of gun rights, those that are voting for him were going to vote for him even if Hillary came strolling out with an FG-42, laid down a nice grouping at 500 yards, and started extolling the virtues of rolling locking block actions over direct impingement actions and promised every american gets a 1911 or glock of their choice should she be elected.

They'd scream and holler that it wasn't a smith and wesson K-frame. No pleasing some people.

I'm hoping that when Hillary gets elected, and 4 years pass and she hasn't confiscated everyone's guns and put them into re-education camps, that people will have yelled themselves horse and finally settled down and we can move on.

I know this won't happen, but god dammit I can hope.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

By the way, I like SA's red text system. But I'm kinda happy that I never pissed someone off enough to get such a gift. Getting hold of a credit card is sort of annoying around here.

I recommend trying it sometime. I've only done it once, and it was totally worth it. It's the tip of the pyramid in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Are you really this dense and lazy or merely feigning ignorance? The context was about marijuana law reform, remember?

I linked my original post for a reason, stupid. Click it. :effort:

E: Or is it this thing again where anything posted before the current page is taboo?

Didn't you just say ad-homs were a bad thing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pumpinglemma posted:

What the loving hell? Do you have more detailed statistics on that? (Not calling you a liar, just very surprised.) In the UK work plus commute is normally more like 9 hours, 10 at the outside.

The people who have short commutes aren't the ones who are having so much of a problem, is the thing. The average American's commute is 25 minutes in each direction, but it can really ramp up on the high end, especially in places with high housing costs anywhere close to work.

This site has nice visualization of how commute times vary by location, tabulated by ZIP code area:
https://project.wnyc.org/commute-times-us/embed.html#5.00/40.000/-75.000

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Doccers posted:

I once took an illegal out with my rifle...

... to the range. :v:

She learned how to shoot and I learned something about poutine - That I still don't like it. :(

(Canadian, here technically illegally for awhile as Colorado wasn't recognizing same sex marriage stuff at the time - She and her wife are now happily married and she became a US citizen, and is working on a degree in astrophysics. She also shoots competitively!)

TLDR: People are awesome, and you should get to know them and share hobbies together.

I'm less than enamoured with Clinton (or Obama for that matter, and I voted for him twice) on gun issues, I think the "No Fly No Buy" idea strips away rights without any legal recourse which is a bad thing (ACLU agrees), and we disagree on how to implement universal background checks, but I agree with the vast majority of her other positions, and POTUS is largely a leadership position rather than a policymaking one, and I'm firmly convinced she's by far the most experienced and has the best temperment for the job.

Most of the gun owners I know are pretty much voting on non-gun issues this time around, as the gulf between the candidates is vast. I've got friends voting just about every which way, from traditional conservatives enthusiastically voting Clinton, to far left LGBT folks voting for Jill Stein because they see Hillary as corrupt/stole the nomination from bernie/remember her and her husbands former views on LGBT issues, to a few folks holding their nose and voting trump because they're convinced the republicans can control him once he's in office and they're terrified of a left leaning supreme court stripping away individual rights (property/business/religious/etc).

I honestly don't know anyone voting for trump because of gun rights, those that are voting for him were going to vote for him even if Hillary came strolling out with an FG-42, laid down a nice grouping at 500 yards, and started extolling the virtues of rolling locking block actions over direct impingement actions and promised every american gets a 1911 or glock of their choice should she be elected.

They'd scream and holler that it wasn't a smith and wesson K-frame. No pleasing some people.

I'm hoping that when Hillary gets elected, and 4 years pass and she hasn't confiscated everyone's guns and put them into re-education camps, that people will have yelled themselves horse and finally settled down and we can move on.

I know this won't happen, but god dammit I can hope.

As a Marine Corps veteran and 4th award Rifle Expert I hope for your sake and mine that Clinton takes away everyones guns.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Nessus posted:

Probably by being less lovely at running a business, or at least more focused on things other than maximizing how much they can squeeze out of Labor

OK but that doesn't answer my question, how does it actually work, like the mechanics and process

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Didn't you just say ad-homs were a bad thing?

It's not an ad-hom to state the fact that you're an imbecile. It's an ad-hom for you to point out my interest in anime as a deflection from the running argument we've been having about skin color and marijuana Prohibition.

Wikipedia. You. Read. Make. Smart.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hehe. I like that you have a sense of humor about your red text. Most people either ignore it completely or start shouting whenever someone mentions it. You are a good sport with regards to that. Doesn't mean I agree with anything you say.

Yea man, no need to get ANGRY in an internet forum. Everyone should just smoke weed and chillax and maybe cuddle up with their stoned significant other and watch some netflix :kimchi:

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's not an ad-hom to state the fact that you're an imbecile. It's an ad-hom for you to point out my interest in anime as a deflection from the running argument we've been having about skin color and marijuana Prohibition.

Wikipedia. You. Read. Make. Smart.

lol you like anime.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

fishmech posted:

The people who have short commutes aren't the ones who are having so much of a problem, is the thing. The average American's commute is 25 minutes in each direction, but it can really ramp up on the high end, especially in places with high housing costs anywhere close to work.

This site has nice visualization of how commute times vary by location, tabulated by ZIP code area:
https://project.wnyc.org/commute-times-us/embed.html#5.00/40.000/-75.000

Hi there. Hour long+ commute, each way, for a contracting position that offers me zero sick days, zero paid days off, zero paid vacation days, and no health insurance or other benefits. I work with a few people with even longer commutes, who have kids. Thankfully they all have extended family that takes over child care while they're at work, but yeah it's not uncommon and it's bad.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Rasmussen poll

Idaho

Trump 48 (+19)
Clinton 29
Egg McMuffin 10
Johnson 6

For context, Romney won ID by 32%

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I mean, why not, right?

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/791758582266023936

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

As a Marine Corps veteran and 4th award Rifle Expert I hope for your sake and mine that Clinton takes away everyones guns.

You're that angry that I don't like poutine?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Y'Al Queda update
https://twitter.com/EileenParkTV/status/791763078643712000

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Yea man, no need to get ANGRY in an internet forum. Everyone should just smoke weed and chillax and maybe cuddle up with their stoned significant other and watch some netflix :kimchi:

You haven't answered my actual question yet. You have yet to show evidence that you have any credibility beyond being smug about being mixed.

You should have just lied and said you were black, idiot. Nobody would ever know and you'd have somewhat of a leg to stand on to criticize me on the basis of skin tone and would make me feel at least a little bad for criticizing you back.. Now you're just pathetic and :sad:.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

Many variables.
The job can be offered internally as a temporary position. Or it can be opened up to anyone with experience looking for a short-term contract. You will often see jobs being advertised for 6 months ("with possibility for extension or full time employment") and they are sometimes looking for someone to fill in for mat leave.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Doccers posted:

You're that angry that I don't like poutine?

well, yes

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rscott posted:

OK but that doesn't answer my question, how does it actually work, like the mechanics and process
Fair enough, the way you put it just sounded like "so how does this whole system of agriculture work when you have to... pay...? workers? for gathering crops?"

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Another poll, from surveymonkey

Utah

Trump 32 (+3)
Egg McMuffin 29
Clinton 29
Johnson 7
Stein 1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ I hate loving Donald Trump so much. The pathetic spineless coward is so afraid of losing that he's gladly willing to wreck democracy just to feel like he's winning.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

well, I mean I like fries and cheese curds, but the gravy just doesn't work for me. We see eye to eye on 2/3rds of it I guess. :)

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

You haven't answered my actual question yet. You have yet to show evidence that you have any credibility beyond being smug about being mixed.

You should have just lied and said you were black, idiot. Nobody would ever know and you'd have somewhat of a leg to stand on to criticize me on the basis of skin tone and would make me feel at least a little bad for criticizing you back.. Now you're just pathetic and :sad:.

I did some volunteer work for NORML way back when I lived in DC. Clearly you are the victor!

Is that enough to end your e-peen measuring contest? Can you move past that, anime lover? (lol)

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Doccers posted:

well, I mean I like fries and cheese curds, but the gravy just doesn't work for me. We see eye to eye on 2/3rds of it I guess. :)

THE GRAVY IS THE BEST PART

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

(I didn't know the liberal equivalent to something like Breitbart actually existed but that seems like it)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doccers posted:

Hi there. Hour long+ commute, each way, for a contracting position that offers me zero sick days, zero paid days off, zero paid vacation days, and no health insurance or other benefits. I work with a few people with even longer commutes, who have kids. Thankfully they all have extended family that takes over child care while they're at work, but yeah it's not uncommon and it's bad.

Yeah it's really bad and it's getting worse.

See those dark purple areas? That's where all of LA's service workers move after their neighborhoods get gentrified. An hour plus each way to work a job with no benefits, that doesn't pay enough to cover repairs if anything should happen to the car their job depends on. And employers respond by grumbling that the workforce is "unreliable" and putting up want ads that specify what zip codes you're allowed to live in. One of my mentorship kids just lost out on a job because they absolutely required employees to live in Santa Monica, and were only offering a sub-30K salary. The entertainment industry can carry on like this indefinitely because there will always be a steady supply of rich kids who can live on their parents' dime, but the service industry is heading for collapse. Not all those jobs are automatable, and even the ones that are haven't been yet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah. it's wyoming that's the republican stronghold. :v:

The Republican stronghold whose last governor was a Democrat that served two terms and nearly threw out the Republican incumbent in the US House in 2006 in a 50.1-49.9 split.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

THE GRAVY IS THE BEST PART

Protip: even if a place doesn't have Poutine, get a sandwich that has gravy on it and order it with gravy on the side

Dipping fries is gravy is pure heaven

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Doccers posted:

An Indian place near my work does butter chicken poutine and it is the best loving thing ever. That is my contribution to this discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

EugeneJ posted:

Dipping fries is gravy is pure heaven

Ugh I love dipping fries in vinegar, mayo, or gravy. gently caress KETCHUP

• Locked thread