Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

My money is on they lied their asses off about any biases they may have and went in with a not guilty verdict already set.

And then made a stink and got the one juror who wouldn't go along removed from the panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Thaddius the Large posted:

IANAL, I haven't even really followed the trial, but it sounds like they managed to miss one of the jurors having been a former BLM employee until earlier this week, so who the hell knows.

No, he mentioned that he'd worked for BLM 20 years ago during selection and nobody really gave a poo poo until it turned out he was the only roadblock to acquitting domestic terrorists, whereupon another juror alleged that he was too biased to be a juror and the judge loving agreed

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

happyhippy posted:

Tarp ghost be doin' tarp cartwheels in heaven right now.

I say this with all nastiness and pettiness; gently caress tarp man and I'm glad he's dead.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Unironically Janet Reno did nothing wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If only we'd been nicer to these guys and allowed them to homestead the bird sanctuary because they really wanted to and were armed. If you think about it, this is all the fault of the liberals in Ameri*intestines leap out of stomach, strangle brain for the good of the nation*

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jazerus posted:

No, he mentioned that he'd worked for BLM 20 years ago during selection and nobody really gave a poo poo until it turned out he was the only roadblock to acquitting domestic terrorists, whereupon another juror alleged that he was too biased to be a juror and the judge loving agreed

Ah, my bad then, thanks for that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Florida once again tops the advertising spending, claiming 3 of the top 10
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, FL: $30,459,727
Tampa-St Petersburg-Sarasota, FL: $24,776,502
Las Vegas, NV: $18,933,507
Cleveland-Akron, OH: $18,635,260
Charlotte, NC: $15,664,148
Philadelphia, PA: $14,944,506
Boston, MA: $12,438,797
Columbus, OH: $12,231,232
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, FL: $10,754,939
Denver, CO: $9,734,811

:wow:

Why is so much being spent on Boston?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jazerus posted:

loving hell

bet they didn't check to see if the other jurors were members of the nra

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Jazerus posted:

well poo poo, we can't have actual domestic terrorists face consequences for their actions.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

A lot of people who live in New Hampshire commute there for work

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
How. How the hell did the Feds gently caress this up SO BADLY.

Jesus loving Christ.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Charlz Guybon posted:

Probably the media market that serves New Hampshire.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

But the case isn't over, it's only restarted because of a dumb oversight, right? So nobody's walking just yet, unless LaVoy Finicum is giving testimony via the Bernie Lomax method?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Goddamn it, God, why couldn't you have gotten this one thing right?!

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/791789138286669825

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/791789342897410048

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus loving Christ.
It sounds like they didn't, and the jurors came in with the verdict already decided. I don't think there's anything much to be done in that situation.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

What can the feds do about jury nullification?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

SoggyBobcat posted:

I'm not fully informed on the American court system, is there any way for the prosecution to appeal?

No, this is not Italy. Convictions can be appealed by the defense, but with very, very few exceptions (like you can prove the jury was bribed or something), an acquittal can not be appealed and does not even have to be justified or explained.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I just found out about the Bundy thing. What in the gently caress. There's no way the feds actually mismanaged it this bad, right? How the hell could a jury that biased for militiamen make it past a review?

If this same thing happens for Nevada standoff and Oregon doesn't prosecute on their own I'm going to be livid

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Inspector Gesicht posted:

But the case isn't over, it's only restarted because of a dumb oversight, right? So nobody's walking just yet, unless LaVoy Finicum is giving testimony via the Bernie Lomax method?

Oregon case is over I guess, Nevada charges are still a go. But if the Slamdunk stuff in Oregon was a failure I don't really have any hope for the Nevada charges

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Manchester/Nashua is within the Boston media market, generally speaking. Boston's NBC affiliate will actually be broadcast out of Manchester next year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But the case isn't over, it's only restarted because of a dumb oversight, right?

No. It's over. There's another case against them, but this one is over.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Holy poo poo I just found out about the Bundy thing. What in the gently caress. There's no way the feds actually mismanaged it this bad, right? How the hell could a jury that biased for militiamen make it past a review?

Lying about their biases and or the entire pool being so bad that there was no way to get people who weren't biased.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

No, they declined to do a mistrial, they just stuck an alternate juror in at the last second!

There are a lot of hosed up trials in this country where white folks are acquitted despite overwhelming evidence of their guilt but this is the first one in a long time that is like literally, completely objectively a travesty of justice just based on how the trial procedure was conducted

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

It sounds like they didn't, and the jurors came in with the verdict already decided. I don't think there's anything much to be done in that situation.

Welp, say hello to the new and even more emboldened militia movement.

Hillary's presidency is gonna be full of them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Endorph posted:

No. It's over. There's another case against them, but this one is over.

Hope they get nailed to the loving wall in that one.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Of this same thing happens for Nevada standoff and Utah doesn't prosecute on their own I'm going to be livid

I guess they were found not guilty by a jury of their peers.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I can't handle the fact that this and the cops tear-gassing the DAPL protestors are happening simultaneously.

Jesus Christ, America

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

rscott posted:

What can the feds do about jury nullification?

Nothing.

Also keep in mind that there were basically only two charges against the defendants:
1) Conspiracy to impede federal employees
2) use of a firearm in connection with #1

So they can't get #2 without #1, and conspiracy is actually kind of hard to prove when framed as an "agreement that everyone goes along with the plan" where the whole takeover was disorganized as gently caress.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Finnicum should have just gone quietly, huh?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

This was probably lost in jury selection. This is a clear and obvious case of jury nullification.

I'm theoretically fine with jury nullification, but it should be extremely rare, for laws that are unjust or for prosecutions that are obviously unfair for special reasons like when the guy beat up the priest who molested him decades ago.

This is not a case where nullification makes sense.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Northjayhawk posted:

an acquittal can not be appealed and does not even have to be justified or explained.

Which is dumb and you should not be able to affect legal consquencences based on no backing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Northjayhawk posted:

This was probably lost in jury selection. This is a clear and obvious case of jury nullification.

I'm theoretically fine with jury nullification, but it should be extremely rare, for laws that are unjust or for prosecutions that are obviously unfair for special reasons like when the guy beat up the priest who molested him decades ago.

This is not a case where nullification makes sense.
hey man, this trial is unfair, it was against white men

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Welp, say hello to the new and even more emboldened militia movement.

Hillary's presidency is gonna be full of them.

Maybe Hillary will put those drones to good use for once eh?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

drat, now we miss out on watching Trump trying to pretend he isn't delighted that his running mate died

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Telsa Cola posted:

Oregon case is over I guess, Nevada charges are still a go. But if the Slamdunk stuff in Oregon was a failure I don't really have any hope for the Nevada charges

This was the federal case. Oregon can still go ahead for any Oregon laws they may have broken and for weird constitutional state sovereignty reasons that are complicated to get into, that would not be double jeopardy.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This is super frustrating. I worry it's only going to empower these militia dildos to do more dumb and terrible poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Telsa Cola posted:

Which is dumb and you should not be able to affect legal consquencences based on no backing.

No, an acquittal should be an acquittal. Acquitted defendants need to be able to go on with their lives, not deal with years-long campaigns by shitbird prosecutors trying to appeal their way to a win.

Yes, this case sucks. But this case isn't everything.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just heard about the Bundy case. I don;t think ive been this angry in a ling time

whats worse is that these fuckers are going to try something like this again.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, I swear every time I see Ted Cruz's goblin-like smug face, I am reminded I should be spending less time trying to fight people on here and more time volunteering my extra time canvassing or something right now to fight the good fight. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

You really can get away with whatever as long as your white in this country.

• Locked thread