Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

This was probably lost in jury selection. This is a clear and obvious case of jury nullification.

I'm theoretically fine with jury nullification, but it should be extremely rare, for laws that are unjust or for prosecutions that are obviously unfair for special reasons like when the guy beat up the priest who molested him decades ago.

This is not a case where nullification makes sense.

I mean nullification makes sense here if your goal is to make armed revolution by white guys legal

but if you can't even assemble a group of twelve people without eleven of them being for armed revolution then poo poo is more hosed up in america than anyone has really noticed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This is super frustrating. I worry it's only going to empower these militia dildos to do more dumb and terrible poo poo.

Let's be honest here, any outcome to this trial would have done that.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Telsa Cola posted:

Which is dumb and you should not be able to affect legal consquencences based on no backing.

Let's just go ahead and keep our constitutional prohibition against double jeopardy even though the outcome of this one case sucked. Thanks in advance.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jazerus posted:

I mean nullification makes sense here if your goal is to make armed revolution by white guys legal

but if you can't even assemble a group of twelve people without eleven of them being for armed revolution then poo poo is more hosed up in america than anyone has really noticed

It could have just been tremendous bad luck.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
If you're a white progressive this is probably the closest thing to knowing what the rodney king verdict felt like to black people.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TheScott2K posted:

No, an acquittal should be an acquittal. Acquitted defendants need to be able to go on with their lives, not deal with years-long campaigns by shitbird prosecutors trying to appeal their way to a win.

Yes, this case sucks. But this case isn't everything.

An acquittal should have some further backing more than "We felt like being nice today".
Im not saying that double jeopardy rule is dumb, I just dont understand why a jury is allowed to make a decision and then just not have to show any proof that they were reasonable and sane individuals while making it.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Jazerus posted:

Its 6 in this federal court. If Oregon brings a case, it'll be more difficult to find 12 for nullification.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TheScott2K posted:

Finnicum should have just gone quietly, huh?

No no, you have it backwards, the rest of them should have gone out like Finnicum.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OPB.org is getting hammered right now, but their coverage of the trial has been really good.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Telsa Cola posted:

An acquittal should have some further backing more than "We felt like being nice today".
Im not saying that double jeopardy rule is dumb, I just dont understand why a jury is allowed to make a decision and then just not have to show any proof that they were reasonable and sane individuals while making it.

They were acquitted of conspiracy charges. That's it. Any vandalism or theft, threats, assault, etc can still be brought to trial against them.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Trump's gonna come out and praise these people as heroes soon huh?:smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kro-Bar posted:

Goddamn it, God, why couldn't you have gotten this one thing right?!

yeah no.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 28, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Northjayhawk posted:

This was probably lost in jury selection. This is a clear and obvious case of jury nullification.

I'm theoretically fine with jury nullification, but it should be extremely rare, for laws that are unjust or for prosecutions that are obviously unfair for special reasons like when the guy beat up the priest who molested him decades ago.

This is not a case where nullification makes sense.

It's the most classic use of it actually.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Trump's gonna come out and praise these people as heroes soon huh?:smith:

Only after pulling them up on stage with him to receive their endorsement.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

well well well

which one of you fuckers did it?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
..Just got the news about the Bundy Boys.

What in the everloving gently caress??? :psyboom::wtc:

Night10194 posted:

How the hell did they get off for that?

Christ, now we're going to have more of these people.

And it's all completely unnecessary.

I don't know whether to puke from disgust or feel upset or numb because of how unsurprising it is, as another poster said.

Is there any way to formally protest this ruling? Like with megaphones and poo poo?

e: Talk about an October Surprise, gently caress.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yes. Get a megaphone and protest. Protesting does not have a large barrier to entry.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

protesting protips: be white and don't mention race, or else you'll get teargassed

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Senf posted:

well well well

which one of you fuckers did it?

:stare:

Well gently caress me sideways. I'm literally shocked.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

FactsAreUseless posted:

OPB.org is getting hammered right now, but their coverage of the trial has been really good.

Yeah, if you can still get their podcast, "This Land is Our Land", one of the episodes dove pretty deep into the difficulty in prosecuting a conspiracy case. It also didn't help that many of the prosecution witness testimony was self-defeating: where FWS employees said they weren't actually prevented from going to work (by the Bundys) and that the local Sheriff didn't feel like he was threatened by the occupiers.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Its kinda funny (or sad) that the prosecution got tricked. When they heard that there was one holdout and the 5 were saying the 6th was "biased", they probably thought, oh we got one nut in the pool, if we get him out, we'll get our conviction.

lol, turns out it was the other way around. There were 5 nuts and 1 guy refusing to let them walk.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

CrazyLittle posted:

They were acquitted of conspiracy charges. That's it. Any vandalism or theft, threats, assault, etc can still be brought to trial against them.

Okay, I guess Im pretty furious right now and not thinking clearly. Are there any charges for archaeological stuff on the docket still? Those can be pretty nasty.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, if you can still get their podcast, "This Land is Our Land", one of the episodes dove pretty deep into the difficulty in prosecuting a conspiracy case. It also didn't help that many of the prosecution witness testimony was self-defeating: where FWS employees said they weren't actually prevented from going to work (by the Bundys) and that the local Sheriff didn't feel like he was threatened by the occupiers.
Yeah. It's been great. Everyone should listen to this.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Maybe David Fry will finally get the help he needs. :unsmith:

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
I'm speechless. Ya'llqueda got off.

But at least I early voted straight D in florida. gently caress you, rick scott and pam bondi.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Telsa Cola posted:

Okay, I guess Im pretty furious right now and not thinking clearly. Are there any charges for archaeological stuff on the docket still? Those can be pretty nasty.

Those would probably be state charges, if pressed at all. This was strictly the federal trial for conspiracy to impede FWS employees from working, with a sub-charge of using a firearm in the commission of the conspiracy.

So if they weren't a coordinated effort to stop FWS from working, then it didn't matter if they had guns or not.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

A Winner is Jew posted:

If you're a white progressive this is probably the closest thing to knowing what the rodney king verdict felt like to black people.

:yeah:

I want to cry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Long story short: it's not that important what actually happened, that's not how our court system works. poo poo is complicated.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Telsa Cola posted:

Because that's the entire point of juries. One last democratic check on the three branches of government before we lock someone up. The whole point is to err on the side of letting guilty people go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I discovered why I got an absentee ballot I didn't apply for: It's for the last resident of my apartment.

I've lived here for 6 years.

What the hell do I do with this thing, just return it to the county clerk and say there's been a mistake?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
oh, they were ONLY tried for conspiracy? Thats it?

Well, this isn't so bad then, thats actually one of the more difficult charges to prove. (well its not difficult, but everything else is a slam-dunk)

There should still be a wide variety of state and federal crimes to indict them for. Maybe it was a smart bit of strategy to only try them for a few of the possible crimes at a time, in case something went haywire at trial they still had other charges as backup.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

I discovered why I got an absentee ballot I didn't apply for: It's for the last resident of my apartment.

What the hell do I do with this thing, just return it to the county clerk and say there's been a mistake?

Yeah do that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I lost my faith in the Feds fighting white terrorists using the courts after the justice department looked into Ferguson and all we got was a report that said "yeah they're pretty racist."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Night10194 posted:

:justpost: but for voting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sinteres posted:

:justpost: but for voting.
that'd be voter fraud

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone
Wasn't one of the charges possession of a firearm on federal land/facilities? There was video evidence of them carrying guns!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Playing devil's advocate (as someone with no legal background), any justification they offer would have to be accepted or you're kind of throwing out the importance of the jury, so their justification is irrelevant. If you would argue that the jury must defend their verdict, then that is an unfair burden since the jurors are extremely unlikely to have the legal background to adequately do that in what would be essentially a second trial.

Yes this verdict is lovely and bad, but saying fundamental parts of the jury system and presumption of innocence are faulty because of it isn't a good look. If anything the fault here is in jury selection.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

oh, they were ONLY tried for conspiracy? Thats it?

Well, this isn't so bad then, thats actually one of the more difficult charges to prove. (well its not difficult, but everything else is a slam-dunk)

There should still be a wide variety of state and federal crimes to indict them for. Maybe it was a smart bit of strategy to only try them for a few of the possible crimes at a time, in case something went haywire at trial they still had other charges as backup.
They were also acquitted on some firearms charges, but I forget all the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Endorph posted:

that'd be voter fraud

It wasn't a serious suggestion.

• Locked thread