Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

Why are you angry at your boss?

I pushed a bug fix yesterday that I worked to get out as quick as I could because this sprint is almost over and its the last of this release version, and I got it done in time to get it pushed in and tested.

My boss didn't see it yesterday, (she usually leaves early to go pick up her kids) then today she was busy with meetings and didn't see it, I reminded her in case she missed the notification and she thanked me for reminding her, then she got busy with other stuff. She didn't finally look at the fix until right before she left, and then she rejected the fix without saying anything to me and left. When I noticed I had a notification that there was a message on the merge request she was already gone, and the notification was that the query was wrong; which it absolutely was not. She mis-interpreted the bug requirements because she was in a hurry and didn't bother to even ask me about it.

Really frustrating because now I look bad like I'm slow and lazy, this will have to get pushed back, and its 100% not my fault.

But again I'm leaving this place so whatevs, put that stuff behind me I guess. Its just real annoying because the management keeps getting promotions and raises but they're not really doing a good job of managing, meanwhile the engineers are kicking rear end and we're having to work extra hours to pick up the slack from management.

Oh my god, I'm Dilbert. (Nah my boss isn't anything as bad as PHB)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everybody

Hello

How are you doing

I'm getting into the halloween spirit by playing resident evil 0 (a game people don't seem to like but I think it's cool)

I wish I could turn back into a 11 year old when I play anything creepy because I used to get legit afraid when I played horror games (I know Resident Evil isn't really horror compared to Silent Hill/Siren etc but the classic RE games still creeped me a lot back then) There were multiple points playing through Silent Hill the first time where I had to turn off the game because I was too afraid to keep going which was just super cool because I could never get anything like that out of movies/books/etc

Maybe I need to play a VR horror game or something

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

Welp, pretty sure my alcoholic roommate relapsed and totalled my car. Awesome. He is apparently alive, but he's somewhere walking and my car, which I left for him to drive to work is missing.

Holy gently caress

that really blows dude :(

Snak posted:

Well, it turns out the car is fine. Amazingly.

Don't know the rest of the story yet. Apparently he got drunk, drove himself to the clinic because of his heart condition, and then left the car there. Which is where I found it. So at least no one was hurt.

Well, that's a huge relief. But you should probably get outta that situation asap. Are you guys old buddies?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I'm replaying Resident Evil 2 for the season and I'm on Claire B, right before you get to the lab with Sherri. Sherry. The little girl. It is giving me all the early 2000's teenager feels all over again and I can't wait to do the same with 3. :cool:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Hello chat thread, someone tell me if there is a thread for Easy Allies anywhere around here. I've known about them since they started after Gametrailers went down but only recently started looking at their stuff, and I just realized how mindblowing it is to see game journalists that actually really like video games. Guys have so much enthusiasm for gaming, its nuts.

Also my halloween game has been replaying RE4 again. Regenerators still give me the willies, I'm thankful I've forgotten what most of their attacks look like since I kill them so quickly nowadays but their raspy breathing and hosed up design is still amazingly creepy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

Well, it turns out the car is fine. Amazingly.

Don't know the rest of the story yet. Apparently he got drunk, drove himself to the clinic because of his heart condition, and then left the car there. Which is where I found it. So at least no one was hurt.

Yay!

Time to keep your roommate from having access to your keys, tho, and to get one of those breath things for your car so he can't take it when he's drunk, assuming you continue to live with him.

Zaphod42 posted:

I pushed a bug fix yesterday that I worked to get out as quick as I could because this sprint is almost over and its the last of this release version, and I got it done in time to get it pushed in and tested.

My boss didn't see it yesterday, (she usually leaves early to go pick up her kids) then today she was busy with meetings and didn't see it, I reminded her in case she missed the notification and she thanked me for reminding her, then she got busy with other stuff. She didn't finally look at the fix until right before she left, and then she rejected the fix without saying anything to me and left. When I noticed I had a notification that there was a message on the merge request she was already gone, and the notification was that the query was wrong; which it absolutely was not. She mis-interpreted the bug requirements because she was in a hurry and didn't bother to even ask me about it.

Really frustrating because now I look bad like I'm slow and lazy, this will have to get pushed back, and its 100% not my fault.

But again I'm leaving this place so whatevs, put that stuff behind me I guess. Its just real annoying because the management keeps getting promotions and raises but they're not really doing a good job of managing, meanwhile the engineers are kicking rear end and we're having to work extra hours to pick up the slack from management.

Oh my god, I'm Dilbert. (Nah my boss isn't anything as bad as PHB)

:( Well at least you're you're leaving, hopefully you're able to find a better place soon!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm getting into the halloween spirit by playing resident evil 0 (a game people don't seem to like but I think it's cool)

I wish I could turn back into a 11 year old when I play anything creepy because I used to get legit afraid when I played horror games (I know Resident Evil isn't really horror compared to Silent Hill/Siren etc but the classic RE games still creeped me a lot back then) There were multiple points playing through Silent Hill the first time where I had to turn off the game because I was too afraid to keep going which was just super cool because I could never get anything like that out of movies/books/etc

Maybe I need to play a VR horror game or something

I'm in that weird section of horror where I love reading about and watching gameplay of horror stuff but there is absolutely zero way I can handle it, horror stuff just gets way way waaaaay too intense for me. Even lovely foreign jumpscare games where it is just a quick voice clip and a dumb model they bought from the unity store is enough to put me on edge and I just can't handle that poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

You should not live with the alcoholic roommate. Sincerely, a former alcoholic roommate.

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, that's a huge relief. But you should probably get outta that situation asap. Are you guys old buddies?

FirstAidKite posted:

Yay!

Time to keep your roommate from having access to your keys, tho, and to get one of those breath things for your car so he can't take it when he's drunk, assuming you continue to live with him.

He's engaged to my best friend. Who I live with.

Maybe she'll finally dump him over this. I doubt it though.

Yeah he's just not getting my keys anymore.

relapsing is one thing. Drinking and driving is another. gently caress him.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That is a poo poo sandwich, Zaphod. Do it my way and coast for 12 months not giving too much of a poo poo about getting pull requests out because the company as a whole has senioritis.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

That is a poo poo sandwich, Zaphod. Do it my way and coast for 12 months not giving too much of a poo poo about getting pull requests out because the company as a whole has senioritis.

That's what I did for the last year lol, but every once in awhile I put in some effort and am justly rewarded :doh:

I helped train the guy who's gonna replace me, and he's awful. He has a master's degree but not much experience, shouldn't have passed the interview but again, management is poo poo. He has no clue and has to be walked through everything, never used linux before, doesn't know how to google for solutions to problems, etc. So they can enjoy that! They gonna miss me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

precision posted:

Where? In both San Diego and Bumfuck Tennessee (where my in-laws live) it takes the same amount of time as swiping, you just insert instead of swipe. Weird.

The usual process for chip readers goes like:

"Oh, does your chip reader work?"
*insert*
"Approved!"
"Okay, please sign in the box there."
"Um, you can remove your card now..."
"Oh sorry. [joke about chip readers being slow]"

The best method for both parties would be just letting the employee do the swiping/inserting but oh well

Real hurthling! posted:

America got chip readers rolled out finally in like may and they take up to like 30 seconds to get authorization. We wont have contactless for years

The chip readers at my job actually are compatible with stuff like Apple Pay, it's just that very few people actively use those methods and most of my coworkers don't know they work

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

doesn't know how to google for solutions to problems,

that's like, not even an engineering skill that's a basic life skill, wtf

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If you get the 15-day trial of PS+, can you then apply a three-month card at the end of that period? Thinking of doing that before the end of the month to maximize my free games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Looper posted:

that's like, not even an engineering skill that's a basic life skill, wtf

My grandpa asks google full sentence questions like it's askjeeves or something and it is very cute at the same time as it is disheartening because he worked in an office for 30 years

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Greetings, gamers. I accidentally purchased some overproof rum instead of the regular kind. I haven't had it in about half a decade, and when I sipped some, it produced an unpleasant sensation on the fillings in my teeth. I don't know if this rum is just crappy or if I have gotten too old for things that are 75.5 percent alcohol by volume. If this were FO4, I bet I could use it as an effective weapon, but as it is, I will have to have a bunch of guests over and convince them to drink it, I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
An example of something my grandpa searched for on google the other day "What is a website where I can make a map with multiple points plotted on it and print it out?"

You get literally the same results with "map multiple points plotted"

He worked in an office for thirty years

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lobok posted:

I think the last LP I watched was one from here on SA where some Zelda expert was more or less helping and explaining while this more laidback player tried to get through a difficult ROMhack of Link to the Past. Never mind that I'm a fan of LttP but they both had perfectly complementing personalities and it was amazing seeing the wild and brutal poo poo the designer put into the game. I think it was my last LP because it's so hard to top.

Are you thinking of superherofae's blind Zelda LPs?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

He's engaged to my best friend. Who I live with.

Maybe she'll finally dump him over this. I doubt it though.

Yeah he's just not getting my keys anymore.

relapsing is one thing. Drinking and driving is another. gently caress him.

As someone who has lived with three alcoholics in the past 10 years, I feel your pain man. :( Goondolences

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lobok posted:

I think the last LP I watched was one from here on SA where some Zelda expert was more or less helping and explaining while this more laidback player tried to get through a difficult ROMhack of Link to the Past. Never mind that I'm a fan of LttP but they both had perfectly complementing personalities and it was amazing seeing the wild and brutal poo poo the designer put into the game. I think it was my last LP because it's so hard to top.

This one? http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Parallel-Worlds/

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sometimes it's fun to ask google a question

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have had some issues with drinking in my time but one thing that I would never, ever do is drive under the influence, and I've lost a lot of respect for friends who were social drinkers that had this weird "I'm fine, I can drive after four beers, I paced myself" thing going on. I think it's less a problem with alcohol or addiction and more a problem that driving a car is easily the most dangerous thing most people regularly do, and they just don't have any respect for that fact.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sometimes i get in my car after not having driven for 18 or so hours and it's like i've forgotten everything. but then i get it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my brothers and i used to do a monthly event we called Drinking and Driving, but it was just the three of us getting together in one place, drinking a lot of whiskey, and catching up while we traded the controller and played GTA, then we would take the train home.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like when people drink then type with lots of spelling mistakes

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I like when people drink then type with lots of spelling mistakes

I'll get to work on it right away.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I lied I actually do not like it

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/status/791759032356900865

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 28, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never been drunk enough to make spelling mistakes, hell I don't even spell things wrong when I try to type on LSD.

I've always thought that people who type posts with lots of spelling mistakes and say they're drunk are teenagers trying to sound drunk, not actual drunks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that looks like etemon

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The new DBZ game came out today and it looks loving boss. Unfortunately I'm not in the financial situation I was when the first one came out so I can't blow $60 on it (especially with Dishonored 2 around the corner) but goddamn I want some gokus in my life.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I lied I actually do not like it

what the-?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

The new DBZ game came out today and it looks loving boss. Unfortunately I'm not in the financial situation I was when the first one came out so I can't blow $60 on it (especially with Dishonored 2 around the corner) but goddamn I want some gokus in my life.

I know it honestly probably doesn't make it better but the current launch version doesn't really contain too much content over the first one. You're better off waiting down the line for when you can get the game + the inevitable DBSuper DLC Season Pass stuff for cheaper so you'll get the best of all worlds. Most of the new stuff right now is balance changes and improvements to the general interface more than new stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I...really like Spaera's multiplayer like dang. Tetris is addicting, match-3 is addicting...and I love using the skills? It's casual as hell but a lot of fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I have had some issues with drinking in my time but one thing that I would never, ever do is drive under the influence, and I've lost a lot of respect for friends who were social drinkers that had this weird "I'm fine, I can drive after four beers, I paced myself" thing going on. I think it's less a problem with alcohol or addiction and more a problem that driving a car is easily the most dangerous thing most people regularly do, and they just don't have any respect for that fact.

This is basically the thing I'm so fuckin pissed about. Destroying your own life with alcohol is one thing. I've spent plenty of time doing it. But the second you get behind the wheel you're now threatening to destroy someone else life. As in kill them. And destroy the lives of everyone around them. At least no one was hurt this time. That's something to be thankful for.

I'm not going to let myself be any more mad about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

An example of something my grandpa searched for on google the other day "What is a website where I can make a map with multiple points plotted on it and print it out?"

You get literally the same results with "map multiple points plotted"

He worked in an office for thirty years

Yeah there's a lot of people who don't realize search engines use keywords.

We're working on natural language search, grandpa! Its just really hard.

Bicyclops posted:

more a problem that driving a car is easily the most dangerous thing most people regularly do, and they just don't have any respect for that fact.

See: hundreds of people playing videogames on their cellphones while driving on the highway

Comeon people

Another guy in Japan hit and killed a kid while playing Pokemon Go :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, like my train station has garage and I am daily shocked the number of people checking their phones as they leave the garage, which has so much foot traffic there is almost bound to be someone crossing (and it doesn't have a light). It's also very close to a bike trail. It doesn't matter that driving out of the station is a thing they've got to do every day. They should be checking their phones and loving with their radio before they start to drive, or at the very least look down before they're coming to an area where they are more or less 100 percent guaranteed to be in contact with both pedestrians and cyclists.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can't get the videos to work on my phone right now but that looks like the one, yeah. Zomodok and Parallel Worlds sounds familiar.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you get the 15-day trial of PS+, can you then apply a three-month card at the end of that period? Thinking of doing that before the end of the month to maximize my free games.

???

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anodyne: so there's this fishman dude in a filthy house and I have a broom, so -

"You...cleaned up my house! I'm touched! Thanks! Here, I want to give you my most beautiful possession."

..........It's a picture of him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anodyne: so there's this fishman dude in a filthy house and I have a broom, so -

"You...cleaned up my house! I'm touched! Thanks! Here, I want to give you my most beautiful possession."

This game sounds awesome. That guy rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

That guy sounds like he owns. I'm going to have to start that game up.

• Locked thread