Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

It'll be a rough road, Kirk has the best Powerpoint slides money can buy.

Claims he can keep America safe

Can't keep his own brain safe from clots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
The endzone dancing from right wingers on Twitter over the Bundy trial is infuriating right now

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Out of curiosity I did some cursory googlin', and the first recorded instance of Asian-Americans serving in a US military engagement were Filipinos under the command of Gen. Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

The endzone dancing from right wingers on Twitter over the Bundy trial is infuriating right now

Just remember how sad those fuckers are going to be when they lose in 2 weeks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

All I can say is that I hope this inspires American law enforcement to crack down on this kind of activity much harder, clearly softballing them isn't working and these lunatics are inevitably going to start killing people if we allow them to act unchecked.
american law enforcement is going to start a gofundme for these guys

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Bookmark all those accounts so you can have your stress relieved Nov 8th.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What the hell happened to cause the thread to jump 1000 posts in a few hours

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno why people act like there's going to be some great catharsis of alt. right twitter people going 'oh no, im meltinnnng' when trump loses

they'll immediately go 'HILLARY RIGGED IT' and literally nothing will change, except some of them will get even angrier and more aggressive, and twitter won't do anything to stop them from threatening to kill people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

y'all qaeda got acquitted

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Bundys got acquitted, plus the usual No You're A Liberal drama

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Unless they pull something to make the Oklahoma City Bombing seem tame, that's not too likely. The Republicans deliberately killed off funding for the DHS to investigate right wing terror groups so they know that these extremists are a large source of support.

This is precisely what I'm afraid of. I'll be amazed if we get through Election Day without someone being killed by (or killing) a 'poll watcher,' let alone what happens once it becomes clear that Trump has decisively lost.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Goatman Sacks posted:

Bundys got acquitted, plus the usual No You're A Liberal drama

Plus, pence nearly bought it: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/vp-nominee-mike-pence-campaign-plane-skids-laguardia-runway-article-1.2848066

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Stealing a page out of Tight Booty Shorts' playbook, moments like tonight remind me that white people can be terrible and I wouldn't mind if we went extinct or at least hope for whites to become the minority soon so the minds of white Deplorables explode.

That part about going extinct is facetious (sort of). :ssh: I apologize on behalf of white people everywhere.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Endorph posted:

y'all qaeda got acquitted

How?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jury Nullification, looks like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're white and the jury hosed the prosecution

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

drilldo squirt posted:

I wonder if this is how people felt when they saw lynch mobs get off with nullification.

Probably not, since those guys beat, tortured, and murdered people while the Bundy crew were a bunch of assholes whose actions only hurt their stupid friend who decided to draw on the cops and got shot.

Seriously, it would have been nice if these morons were convicted and it's not good they got off. But the repeated comparisons to far more serious cases of injustice is loving bizarre.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

Probably not, since those guys beat, tortured, and murdered people while the Bundy crew were a bunch of assholes whose actions only hurt their stupid friend who decided to draw on the cops and got shot.

Seriously, it would have been nice if these morons were convicted and it's not good they got off. But the repeated comparisons to far more serious cases of injustice is loving bizarre.

No you see this is basically the Holocaust all over again.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

This is precisely what I'm afraid of. I'll be amazed if we get through Election Day without someone being killed by (or killing) a 'poll watcher,' let alone what happens once it becomes clear that Trump has decisively lost.

...I think I'm starting to Arzy over this possibility. :ohdear:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/791813318168211456?s=09

Hillary put out a statement thankful for Pence's safety before Trump.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Gyges posted:

Um. People are angry and posting about it on the internet. I mean sure it's not completely rational, but I don't see what's so bizarre about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/teddyschleifer/status/791816935738601472
:cawg:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

greatn posted:

Easy to be the first to respond when you orchestrate the accident.

#CrookedHillaryCaseFiles

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Jury Nullification, looks like.

Not sure what that means

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

It'll be a rough road, Kirk has the best Powerpoint slides money can buy.

I like how, even when trying their best, Kirk looks like he's apologizing to a bully for being in his way.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How the hell is he so bad at fundraising?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Samurai Sanders posted:

You're right, the fact that they brought guns makes my gun-free liberal upbringing immediately yell at me that they are not making a "peaceable" assembly. I guess in the name of understanding in these divisive times, I should critically consider that.

If exercising a right automatically equals an illegal assembly we're turbo-hosed dude. Think about what you're writing before you write it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

greatn posted:

https://twitter.com/USAneedsTRUMP/status/791813458819821568

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

...I think I'm starting to Arzy over this possibility. :ohdear:
We can do nothing about these people and the responsibility for choosing to engage in an act of violence rests with them. What will be, will be; but I imagine they would derive their greatest joy from knowing they've intimidated "libs."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and on the Clinton side?
https://twitter.com/davelevinthal/status/791770656069316608

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not sure what that means
I only learned today but I guess it's when the jury knows that the suspect did the crime but refuses to give a guilty verdict because they disagree that it should be a crime.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not sure what that means

It's means the jury knew they violated the law but voted to acquit anyways, most likely because they agree with their cause.

Not saying that's what happened but that's what jury nullification is.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

This post has a good explanation.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not sure what that means

Yeah the guy murdered the other guy, but guy #2 was kinda a swarthy dude so he probably deserved it. Not guilty.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Considering juries dont have to tell us why they picked what they did sure why not?
Hrmmm

Option A. Huge increase in white supremacist militias during what could be the most turbulent power transition in recent memory. Charges blatantly look ignored. Minorities feel even more ignored by the legal system.

Option B. Some racist people get locked up for charges that people would agree were probably accurate. Dangerous Racist militias decrease. A tiny, tiny ember of hope forms within Minorities about the possibility of some sort of justice in the legal system.

Oh golly which should I pick I wonder.

I promise I see the appeal of this kind of thinking, but it's really, really scary from a defense and even death penalty perspective, and really overstates the effect this verdict would have either way.

Let me use a different example:

Someone's been accused of murder. The media is convinced that person is guilty and has gone non-stop wall to wall coverage. Nancy Grace has been shrieking about the case for months. It also turns out in the course of the trial that the specific law in this case is really ambiguous and the Prosecution doesn't prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt, but the Defendant is also No Angel.

Time for the verdict!

Option A. Not guilty! Charges look blatantly ignored. Mass national outrage! Victim's family devastated. Murderers around the country empowered because our justice system is so weak and ineffective.

Option B. Guilty! A Bad Person is locked away forever and the streets are safer. America breaths a sigh of relief. Murderers stop planning murders because of this strong judicial showing. Previous crime victims who didn't see convictions hope the system is finally moving towards justice.

I know that's absurd but I'm trying to highlight why jury verdicts based on politics, projection, and feelings aren't a good thing. As neat as it would be if criminal cases were decided by virtue of what the most progressive verdict is, that's not really justice. Plenty of other people haven't received justice they should have gotten either, and that's terrible, but just flipping the positions doesn't really solve anything.

Also, straight up, a conviction in this case would have done nothing to militia groups who already see the government as illegitimate. Personally, I suspect if/when the Bundys or the next group actually does get convicted, they'll just be seen as brave martyrs. None of them are going to pack up their guns and go home because the Bundys got charged with possession of firearms in a federal building.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lozzle posted:

It's means the jury knew they violated the law but voted to acquit anyways, most likely because they agree with their cause.

Not saying that's what happened but that's what jury nullification is.

You're right about what it is but that's not what happened.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
So.... did Mark Kirk just look over at Tammy Duckworth's asian features and think to himself "yeah right, she's lying, no way her family fought in the revolutionary war"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if that same Jury would think it should be illegal to kneel during the national anthem.

valnas
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

How the hell is he so bad at fundraising?

How much of the 46 mil spent was at:

Trump Tower (campaign HQ)
Trump Resorts (receptions, rally's, victory crap)
Book as Donation

I'm gonna say that at the end of this he is net postive whatever happens. LONG CON by the Don.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/791817469837078528

• Locked thread