Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shbobdb posted:

It totally wasn't but modern jurisprudence and the current interpretation of "natural born citizen" would preclude dual citizens.

If Hillary wins, this may change.

There is no real current interpretation of "natural born citizen". There is a general agreement that if you're born to an American or on American soil you count, but nothing has been litigated ever and people argue differently.

The only policies and rulings that would have any weight are ones about security clearance for dual citizens, which are moot because the President gets clearance no matter how big a security risk they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
One thing I really like in that Politico article about Clinton considering Biden for SecState:

quote:

But she’d also be choosing someone with whom she repeatedly clashed as secretary of state, with the vice president often playing the skeptic while she supported more aggressive action. They differed over leaving troops in Iraq, the surge in Afghanistan, and whether to arm Syria’s rebels and bomb Libya — and Clinton took the more hawkish line in every case. During the Obama administration’s lengthy review of Afghanistan policy early in his tenure, for instance, a skeptical Biden urged the president not to escalate the war, while Clinton backed Gen. Stanley McChrystal’s request for 40,000 more troops.

Could go some way towards appeasing those who see her as too hawkish if she's intentionally picking dovish Biden, who would be willing to stand up to her, for State.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vyelkin posted:

One thing I really like in that Politico article about Clinton considering Biden for SecState:

Could go some way towards appeasing those who see her as too hawkish if she's intentionally picking dovish Biden, who would be willing to stand up to her, for State.

A Team of Rivals also makes more sense when the rival is, you know, someone with decades of experience and who is still on your side, just disagrees with you.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It's hard to find good information on dual citizens in Congress since it's usually just lists of Jewish representatives and senators that Nazis or other anti-semites compile.

They assert that the Jewish members of congress hold dual American-Israeli citizenship. Diane Rehm questioned Bernie Sanders about his dual citizenship (he is not a dual citizen) thanks to one of those lists in one of the media season's ugliest moments.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Biden is incredibly smart when it comes to foreign policy, there's nobody I would rather have. Plus The Onion will have 4 more years of content.

Far better him than someone from the Stupid poo poo Caucus.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kro-Bar posted:

I like seeing the Baldwins gang up on Stephen. He must sit at the kid's table at Thanksgiving.

https://twitter.com/BrandonSmith85/status/791824688091717633

When Billy dunks on you, you've officially lost at the game of Baldwining.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Nevvy Z posted:

There was some related discussion earlier in the thread, the key issue is that citizenship in other countries fall under their sovereign discretion. I can yell "I renounce my Indonesian* citizenship" in washington dc all I want but if the Indonesian government wants to consider me a citizen I can't stop them.

*chosen at random

Right. It would be silly to hold presidential candidates accountable to this because it would allow foreign nations to influence our government. For instance, if Russia declared Hillary Clinton to be a citizen of Russia, would she immediately be disqualified from the presidency? Obviously not.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I choose to believe Biden is on the table for SecState because our beloved abuela, fan of Lincoln (and by extension Team of Rivals) that she is, is putting together a cabinet of other individuals who would have been reasonable contenders for Democratic nominee.

Now I'm not saying get ready for SecTreas Bernie, buuuuuut...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The idea of 4 years of Diamond Joe's hi-jinks around the world makes this an okay day.

In Arizona news, apparently Trump Jr. had made an appointment to call in to a local radio station for an interview. They'd been promoting it all day.
Trump Jr. never called in.

So instead they had callers call in and tell stories about how they got stood up, or "Trump Juniored" on dates.

Delayed, but :vince:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tammy Duckworth is a much better person than I am, Kirk deserves to have his face kicked in

https://twitter.com/TheMattWilstein/status/791835769082028032

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

There is no real current interpretation of "natural born citizen". There is a general agreement that if you're born to an American or on American soil you count, but nothing has been litigated ever and people argue differently.

The only policies and rulings that would have any weight are ones about security clearance for dual citizens, which are moot because the President gets clearance no matter how big a security risk they are.

Ugh getting a top secret clearance was such a pain in the rear end as a dual citizen.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SomeMathGuy posted:

I choose to believe Biden is on the table for SecState because our beloved abuela, fan of Lincoln (and by extension Team of Rivals) that she is, is putting together a cabinet of other individuals who would have been reasonable contenders for Democratic nominee.

Now I'm not saying get ready for SecTreas Bernie, buuuuuut...

I hope It's Bernie and his official title is Secretary of the Treasury Bernie.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gyges posted:

Ted Cruz had dual citizenship up until people noticed earlier this year.

*last year

lol this election has been going on for way longer than you remember :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

Tammy Duckworth is a much better person than I am, Kirk deserves to have his face kicked in

Phrasing?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Michele Bachman had Swiss citizenship until 2012 and then gave it up.

You have to be catastrophically stupid to renounce Swiss loving citizenship lol.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Right, Tammy is an american citizen born abroad, but does she have citizenship from another country? Can a congresswoman have dual citizenship?

iirc the USA does not recognize dual citizenship. Either you're an American citizen or you are not, end of.
That said, getting classified clearance for a non elected position, they do take it into account.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tricky D posted:

None of this is true. Not even a little bit.

Put up or shut up.

Look at all the people with dual citizenship bitching about their clearance problems. As a dual citizen myself I can't say I've experienced that but US/OZ have generally good relations and I've never been in a sensitive position.

I agree that if someone were to run that it would change everything. Like, if Cruz had gotten the nomination in '08 or this cycle before he had to not be a double citizen. It's ambiguous and doesn't matter but there is an (unenforceable) general consensus.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GalacticAcid posted:

Michele Bachman

catastrophically stupid

She hid behind a bush to spy on The Gays.

Checks out.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Just imagining what this kind of person would do if Tammy Duckworth was the Democratic nominee makes me feel sick :smith:.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Shbobdb posted:

Put up or shut up.

Look at all the people with dual citizenship bitching about their clearance problems. As a dual citizen myself I can't say I've experienced that but US/OZ have generally good relations and I've never been in a sensitive position.

I agree that if someone were to run that it would change everything. Like, if Cruz had gotten the nomination in '08 or this cycle before he had to not be a double citizen. It's ambiguous and doesn't matter but there is an (unenforceable) general consensus.

I did already

http://harvardlawreview.org/2015/03/on-the-meaning-of-natural-born-citizen/

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/TheMattWilstein/status/791835769082028032

Conservatives are just monstrous people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

cult member at airport posted:

Just imagining what this kind of person would do if Tammy Duckworth was the Democratic nominee makes me feel sick :smith:.

We already know, Mark Kirk just did it.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

she didn't really respond. She didn't have to, she probably knew that he had just made an incredibly stupid, epic gently caress-up, and so she just gracefully let the media take the ball and run with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Holy gently caress the jury ruled the Malheur guys not guilty?

gently caress, there *is* going to be more violence then

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I appreciate a bunch of right wing lawyers arguing that Cruz should be President is cool and all but that's hardly mainstream outside of the crazy "NeverTrump" fringe of the Republican Party.

A bunch of patricians ain't the law man.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/MarkKirk/status/791803922272882689

can I revoke my vote now

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

duz posted:

iirc the USA does not recognize dual citizenship. Either you're an American citizen or you are not, end of.
That said, getting classified clearance for a non elected position, they do take it into account.

Nah, I'm a dual citizen, and I served in the military and had a top secret clearance.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hollismason posted:

It's pretty obvious that the founders of this country were terrified of vat grown humans becoming rulers of this nation.

Fuckin nipple-necks, might as well just hand the whole planet over

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Northjayhawk posted:

she didn't really respond. She didn't have to, she probably knew that he had just made an incredibly stupid, epic gently caress-up, and so she just gracefully let the media take the ball and run with it.

At that point I think you just feed him more rope.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lol wait did you vote for Mark Kirk

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
As I recall Kirk is one of the GOP Senators who isn't complete poo poo on LGBT rights and who, therefore, receives the HRC (the nonprofit, not the person, who I assume has an elaborate eleven-step plan to discredit and murder Kirk in his sleep) endorsement out of their desperate attempt to seem nonpartisan. It's a dumb strategy and one nobody is buying.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 28, 2016

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan/status/791834566965207040

The average voter, ladies and gentlemen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GalacticAcid posted:

lol wait did you vote for Mark Kirk

No, worse.

Hilldawg.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Northjayhawk posted:

Re-read your post

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Northjayhawk posted:

I think it was more along the lines of- Tammy has no legs

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, worse.

Hilldawg.

I think it was more along the lines of- HRC is human rights campaign, not Hillary RODHAM KKKlinton

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, worse.

Hilldawg.

Human Rights Campaign. It threw me at first too.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, worse.

Hilldawg.

Ohh you might be confused. @HRC = Human Rights Campaign, not Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, worse.

Hilldawg.

It's the Human Rights Campaign, not Hillary Clinton.

They do this to seem Fair And Balanced, it's dumb

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, worse.

Hilldawg.
edit: beaten to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006