Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Grittybeard posted:

You're being honest about this huh? 5 national championships, yearly expectations (and reality) of being in play to win another one, not good enough for a Texas pipe dream. Better go after John Gruden.

He just said an NFL coach would be a disaster at Texas. Was not disparaging Sabans results, was pointing to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I thought you were doubling down on this:

ChinaBob posted:

Right, understood. But if you're going to have a "pipe dream" candidate at least make it something worth dreaming about and not Miles or Saban:

Cause I mean....Saban is like the dreamiest pipe dream who has ever coached in college.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

Who does BC hire at this point now that they are a complete shithouse?

BC will probably hire Al Golden.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ChinaBob posted:

Are you an Aggie or have you just never met any?

We're happy right now beating one of Alabama (lol), LSU, or Ole Miss.

Like yeah it'll probably get worse later but it's not Georgia bad.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ChinaBob posted:

He just said an NFL coach would be a disaster at Texas. Was not disparaging Sabans results, was pointing to them.

Saban never stopped being a college coach

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Kim Jong Il posted:

BC will probably hire Al Golden.

Addazio will put in a good word for him on his way out the door.

computer parts posted:

A&M's results remind me of what Petrino was putting together at Arkansas. Pretty drat good, like top ten good, but never getting to Bama's level (consistently).

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

computer parts posted:

hell I'm happy winning bowl games, last year excluded.

Before Sumlin I dreaded the bowl season because I knew for sure it'd be a blowout.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
If Texas whiffs on their next coach how many years does it put them behind?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Until whenever they make their next good hire. There are so many natural advantages there a good coach should pretty much always be able to have some success. They made several lovely hires between Royal and Brown and Mack still got it turned around pretty quickly

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ChinaBob posted:

Yet your "pipe dream" is Ole' Saint Nick. Interesting.

nick saban was a head coach in the NFL for barely two years around which he has sandwiched arguably the greatest college coaching career of all time are you really so dumb that you don't get the difference between that and a career NFL coach

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That and Saban has been getting less and less pro-style manual since Kiffin has been on staff. He is willing to go with what works, and if that means sacrificing a goat to find the next up and coming spread guru before anyone else does, he can and will do it.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I am going to be the next head football coach at the university of texas.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I just found out Timmy Chang is the offensive coordinator of DIII Emory & Henry, when is Hawai'i gonna hire him to save their team from being dissolved.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 28, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

ChinaBob posted:

Yet your "pipe dream" is Ole' Saint Nick. Interesting.

Yeah he's the one "pro-style" guy I would leap at and it's only because he's Nick Saban. I couldn't bet against Nick Saban succeeding. If I'm choosing between guys we'll never get in a million years, I have to go Urban over Saban just because his style fits so much better with the players coming out of Texas HS football. Then again Saban gets whatever recruits he wants from anywhere so yeah.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

MourningView posted:

Until whenever they make their next good hire. There are so many natural advantages there a good coach should pretty much always be able to have some success. They made several lovely hires between Royal and Brown and Mack still got it turned around pretty quickly

Even then you had Akers being undefeated going into the Cotton Bowl twice, McWilliams having a team be in the title picture until getting wiped off the face of the earth by Miami, and Mackovic winning the last title of the SWC and first of the Big XII. Texas having potentially three losing seasons in a row is pretty impressive historically.

I don't see anyone coming in and being the next Royal or Brown any time soon, but they should be able to find a coach that can make the team win more games.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Michigan hired a decent but out of place coach and an awful coach back to back and were completely irrelevant for 8 years, 2 years into hiring a good coach they're #2 in the country. Texas has all the same advantages and talent on the roster so I'd guess something similar to that.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Not to mention if it's a coach that has a lot of buzz around them, even a lower level of competition, buy in happens quickly and the first couple of recruiting years help out there too, especially at somewhere like Texas

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm not a Texas schill. The way I see it, it's the premier program in Texas, with a huge fanbase, its own terrible TV network, and deep pockets. Recruiting is great, arguably second to none. It has everything to attract the top names. :lol: at the Gruden stuff, though.

Everything except the lovely fan base & boosters that demand to get sucked off at all times by the head coach. And will throw you to the wolves if you have one sub-10 win season in a 10 year span. Texas fans are their own worst enemy, they SHOULD be able to attract any top name, but their fan base and their ridiculous expectations are the reason they don't

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah he's the one "pro-style" guy I would leap at and it's only because he's Nick Saban. I couldn't bet against Nick Saban succeeding. If I'm choosing between guys we'll never get in a million years, I have to go Urban over Saban just because his style fits so much better with the players coming out of Texas HS football. Then again Saban gets whatever recruits he wants from anywhere so yeah.

Saban isn't really pro style anymore anyway, have you watched Bama this year?. I'm sure he wishes he could be, but after a season or two of throwing a hissy fit and crying about how the rules needed to be changed to get rid of hurry up spread offenses whenever he lost to one he accepted that it was where football was going and adapted.

DrunkPanda posted:

Everything except the lovely fan base & boosters that demand to get sucked off at all times by the head coach. And will throw you to the wolves if you have one sub-10 win season in a 10 year span. Texas fans are their own worst enemy, they SHOULD be able to attract any top name, but their fan base and their ridiculous expectations are the reason they don't

What exactly is the evidence that they can't? Strong was one of the hottest coaching names when they hired him. They're not gonna hire Saban obviously, but they're gonna have their pick of guys who are actually interested in moving

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Alaois posted:

I just found out Timmy Chang is the offensive coordinator of DIII Emory & Henry, when is Hawai'i gonna hire him to save their team from being dissolved.

Timmy Chang for HC, Colt Brennan for OC. Make it happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hawaii is not good but they're way better than I thought they'd be. The rando they hired seems like he might be ok

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

Saban isn't really pro style anymore anyway, have you watched Bama this year?. I'm sure he wishes he could be, but after a season or two of throwing a hissy fit and crying about how the rules needed to be changed to get rid of hurry up spread offenses whenever he lost to one he accepted that it was where football was going and adapted.

Yes, and I know his offense has most definitely gotten less cro-magnon, even incorporating tempo and such, but now he's running a more complex, multiple offense. I think the offense we are running now is philosophically about as perfect as you can get for Texas in this day and age. Run it between the tackles, throw quick/screen passes to the sidelines and take deep shots down the sidelines, using tempo to make the ultra-basic offense hard to defend. Definitely I think we should be doing this more manball version that has an emphasis on pushing people around and pounding the rock, but that's still simpler than what Kiffin-era Alabama seems to be doing, to the extent I've paid attention. I mean they occasionally throw to the middle of the field, take snaps under center, or run like a reverse or a sweep or something, right?

I would be a little concerned about this with Harsin as well, but I think he's shown a remarkable ability to tailor an offense to his personnel and make it work, including at Texas. I'm probably also a little traumatized from watching Mack and Strong try to swim against the current, and now that we've finally got the offense we've needed all this time and it's putting up points even with a true freshman QB, I don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 28, 2016

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The current Kiffin offensive style does pull in a lot of spread, but it is more spread to run than anything else. And by run, they mean any kind of run. Ive seen some sweeps, reverses, RBs, and QB keepers. It has some pro-style concepts, but only insofar as the fact that even with a really mobile quarterback who can make plays in and out of the pocket, they have the personnel to run over pretty much anyone if they feel like going into man-ball and milking the clock. I dunno about how he would do as a head coach again, but I think you could take Kiffin's offensive style and it would be rad at Texas, and other than being a bit complex (due to the fact that he has had time to get folks in his system for a few years), it would fit right in.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Kiffins offense is rad because it's like he cooked up something that tastes like triple option from totally different ingredients

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Speaking of Kiffin, when are people going to start talking about his next shot at head coach? Kiffin2Texas

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Komet posted:

Speaking of Kiffin, when are people going to start talking about his next shot at head coach? Kiffin2Texas

Tennessee might have an opening this year.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Someone was floating him for the Fresno gig along with Tedford.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Tennessee might have an opening this year.

Yeah we could use a new OC.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Real Name Grover posted:

I think Fresno would be a good fit for him. He'd probably do well there.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Real Name Grover posted:

Heard that rumor from Podcast aint played nobody. He was only brought up due to him being an alum of the school and it having advantages over other MWC schools. I think he will probably hold out for something bigger like Kirby Smart.

MourningView posted:

Hawaii is not good but they're way better than I thought they'd be. The rando they hired seems like he might be ok

Hasnt this always been the case with Hawaii? June Jones did well at the school due to how good the Run and Shoot worked there and the juco players he was able to pull in. (Hawaii should re-hire June Jones)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Isn't June Jones semi-retired these days? I remember hearing stuff that he was completely burned out by the end of his SMU run.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Well he did try to get the job when it came open last year.

June Jones confirms he will apply for UH football head coaching job

Looks like he's coaching High School football in Hawaii now since he didnt get the College job.

Ex-Hawaii football coach June Jones accepts job as Kapolei offensive coordinator

VIDEO: All systems go with June Jones at Kapolei

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Sounds like he missed Hawaii. Dallas is a lot of things but it's not overflowing with immense natural beauty and people being real chilled out.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

edit: wrong thread

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Heard that rumor from Podcast aint played nobody. He was only brought up due to him being an alum of the school and it having advantages over other MWC schools. I think he will probably hold out for something bigger like Kirby Smart.

He could definitely hold out for a P5 job, but personally I'd love to see if he could get something interesting going in Fresno. It's not a sleeping giant by any means, but I could see Kiffin turning it into a regular contender for the G5 New Years spot solely because of how abysmal the MWC West Division is outside SDSU and the amount of talent floating around California. Although he couldn't get it done at USC, so who knows.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

punched my v-card at camp posted:

He could definitely hold out for a P5 job, but personally I'd love to see if he could get something interesting going in Fresno. It's not a sleeping giant by any means, but I could see Kiffin turning it into a regular contender for the G5 New Years spot solely because of how abysmal the MWC West Division is outside SDSU and the amount of talent floating around California. Although he couldn't get it done at USC, so who knows.

he only had like half the regular scholarship players at USC

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda hope Kiffen gets another chance and does really well. :unsmith: But I'm a sucker for sports redemption stories.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

punched my v-card at camp posted:

It might be easier at Fresno. The level of competition is pretty awful in the MWC outside of like two schools so just being able to outrecruit the rest of the conference can go a really long way.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Does Tennessee dump Butch and hop back on the carousel for the 4th time in the past 8 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Does Tennessee dump Butch and hop back on the carousel for the 4th time in the past 8 years?

I don't think so. He'll be forced to make some staff changes at the end of the year though. DeBord will definitely be gone. I wouldn't mind him getting rid of the OL coach as well.

• Locked thread