Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Human Rights Campaign. Not Hillary.

Edit: goddamn this thread moves fast. Sorry!

Svanja fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

she didn't really respond. She didn't have to, she probably knew that he had just made an incredibly stupid, epic gently caress-up, and so she just gracefully let the media take the ball and run with it.

Well at least the story has legs.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Shbobdb posted:

I appreciate a bunch of right wing lawyers arguing that Cruz should be President is cool and all but that's hardly mainstream outside of the crazy "NeverTrump" fringe of the Republican Party.

A bunch of patricians ain't the law man.

Okay I guess I'll just take your word for it guy who has never been Solicitor General and is probably not even a lawyer. Also lmao at an Obama Solicitor General being a "right wing lawyer."

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Shbobdb posted:

I appreciate a bunch of right wing lawyers arguing that Cruz should be President is cool and all but that's hardly mainstream outside of the crazy "NeverTrump" fringe of the Republican Party.

This is where you "put up or shut up" with something more credible than your irrelevant personal experience with getting a security clearance.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

duz posted:

iirc the USA does not recognize dual citizenship. Either you're an American citizen or you are not, end of.
That said, getting classified clearance for a non elected position, they do take it into account.

The US is quite permissive on citizenship in general due to our long stance on preventing statelessness. IIRC we won't recognize that you've renounced your US citizenship if you aren't a dual citizen at the time.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I, for one, am glad that there is so much pressure for your politicians to renounce any other citizenship they may have because it means I will never see Ted Cruz running for politics here.

I hope :ohdear:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

:stonk:

I'll take my L on that, I didn't even consider that when I wrote it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shbobdb posted:

The only people who ever complain about Natural Born Citizenship when someone born outside the US to an American are the fringe. No one has ever made a serious case for such an interpretation, but no one has ever taken it to court. We've had a few nominees born outside the US, and it has never been an issue outside the fringe.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

Re-read your post

oh, poo poo, I wasn't even thinking about that. lol

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

cult member at airport posted:

Just imagining what this kind of person would do if Tammy Duckworth was the Democratic nominee makes me feel sick :smith:.

Are you kidding? Every time I'm feeling down I think of the woman in that picture, and just imagine how loving beyond miserable and rage filled every second of her life has been since nov 2008, and will continue to be as she sees hillary stroll back into the white house.

The thoughts are so beautiful and warming I wouldn't even need to start a campfire to keep me alive in a blizzard.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Wasnt John McCain born in Panama?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You see when women care about doing things well they're being frivolous, not like we manly men who care about doing different things well. When women don't do those things well it's because they're stupid and probably got distracted thinking about makeup or something

Eh, I'd be wary to chalk stuff up as immediately sexist. My girlfriend thinks my bobblehead collection is dumb and that how I work to arrange it in my office is silly, as well as how I set up stuff in the garage because it's just "tools and stuff, they can go wherever", but heaven forbid things aren't placed in the mantle or coffee table right.

We are socialized to place different values on different things by our level of interacting with said things and gendered socialization.

I'm sure if you asked his wife there's something he puts a level of care into that she would call "abnormal" to her standards.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Carlosologist posted:

Tammy Duckworth is a much better person than I am, Kirk deserves to have his face kicked in

https://twitter.com/TheMattWilstein/status/791835769082028032

I think I'd be more upset if he didn't sound like a talking Ambien.

Low energy. :sad:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

bird cooch posted:

Wasnt John McCain born in Panama?

On a military base. The Venn diagram of "people who care about that poo poo" and "republicans" is a perfect circle.

The whole idea was to ensure that there could never be a black president since the founders were racists AF.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

On a military base. The Venn diagram of "people who care about that poo poo" and "republicans" is a perfect circle.

The whole idea was to ensure that there could never be a black president since the founders were racists AF.

Agreed.

Edit: pretty much everybody in the west (if not in majority world wide) was racist as gently caress back then. But it seems more likely they were thinking of people from England at the time. Cause, ya know..

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gyges posted:

There's nothing in the Constitution that bars the President from being a dual citizen. I'm not even sure that was a thing at the time of the Constitution.

Nowhere does it say in the constitution that a dog can't run for president.

As long as that dog was born in America.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shbobdb posted:

Eh, nah it was more to do with preventing a European royal from taking over.

I mean, yes they were violently and extremely racist but no they weren't worried about a black president.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Madkal posted:

And is at least 35 years old.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Madkal posted:

any dog that makes it to 35 years old has gotta know something we don't, and deserves to be president air bud. :woof:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Also people that would eventually have musicals written about them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Madkal posted:

Actually, it specifies that the President must be a person. No Air Bud clause on Madison's watch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Doccers posted:

I'm less than enamoured with Clinton (or Obama for that matter, and I voted for him twice) on gun issues, I think the "No Fly No Buy" idea strips away rights without any legal recourse which is a bad thing (ACLU agrees), and we disagree on how to implement universal background checks, but I agree with the vast majority of her other positions, and POTUS is largely a leadership position rather than a policymaking one, and I'm firmly convinced she's by far the most experienced and has the best temperment for the job.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I think Obama's personal opinions on guns are absolutely not to my liking, but nothing on the anti-gun wishlist has been passed through Congress in the last decade, and I don't see that changing. Using the no-fly list for anything is abhorrent to me because it's non-judicial, and removing people's rights without due process makes me furious. Better to disband the no-fly list and force the government to start actually prosecuting people if they feel they're too dangerous to be citizens in public.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

That may disqualify dogs, but not turtles.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

GalacticAcid posted:

Eh, nah it was more to do with preventing a European royal from taking over.

I mean, yes they were violently and extremely racist but no they weren't worried about a black president.

Because I have some iconoclastic views and am generally very authoritarian, I got involved with an American Monarchist movement. Looking back, it was very much a precursor to the Dork Enlightenment poo poo we see today, just ~15-20 years earlier (gently caress I'm old). In all earnestness, I argued that if we were to throw our support behind an American Monarch they should be from the black side of Thomas Jefferson's legacy.

My argument was . . . not well received.

So I decided to smash fascist skulls instead. It was a very good choice.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Actually, it specifies that the President must be a person. No Air Bud clause on Madison's watch.

I would say that opens the door for President Exxon, but we have had that for decades now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

That's only 5 in human years.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

any dog that makes it to 35 years old has gotta know something we don't, and deserves to be president air bud. :woof:

Dog years or people years? Because my dog could run for President if we're talking dog years. And he has a better grasp on most things than Donald Trump. And I've seen him (my dog, not Trump) eat his own poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tricky D posted:

Well we already have one for Sen. Majority Leader

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

And is white.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Nessus posted:

This made me chuckle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liquid Communism posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at. I think Obama's personal opinions on guns are absolutely not to my liking, but nothing on the anti-gun wishlist has been passed through Congress in the last decade, and I don't see that changing. Using the no-fly list for anything is abhorrent to me because it's non-judicial, and removing people's rights without due process makes me furious. Better to disband the no-fly list and force the government to start actually prosecuting people if they feel they're too dangerous to be citizens in public.

The sole purpose of that suggestion was to get Republicans to look utterly incapable of any sort of gun reform.

Like it's literally the "Obama says oxygen is good" thing that people here dream about.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
One would think that the Founding Fathers would have had the foresight to specify whether they meant solar years or relative ages when they wrote the constitution. Unfortunately, all we can do now is wildly speculate.

EDIT:

Nessus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lp2asyRv8w

Tricky D fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 28, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

logger posted:

I would say that opens the door for President Exxon, but we have had that for decades now.

That gives me the worrisome thought of how long until president Elon Musk.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

If Trump can run then so should a Pomeranian.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

computer parts posted:

The sole purpose of that suggestion was to get Republicans to look utterly incapable of any sort of gun reform.

Like it's literally the "Obama says oxygen is good" thing that people here dream about.
No dammit we have to judge everything a Democrat says with quotidian harshness while Republican idiocy just passes by, or else our sacred and holy Balance will be set at naught and we'll have to spec for Moonfire spam.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's OK, Justice Thompson is a 10th level Necromancer and will totally answer our questions.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Tricky D posted:

One would think that the Founding Fathers would have had the foresight to specify whether they meant solar years or relative ages when they wrote the constitution. Unfortunately, all we can do now is wildly speculate.

If only we had Justice Scalia with us so he could give us insight into the Founding Fathers true intent when they wrote that into The Constitution.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

computer parts posted:

Yeah, but it was too obvious. It just leaves the NRA room to whine about how they'll accept 'reasonable' reform while pointing out that even liberals don't think that's reasonable.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

The Constitution states that it was signed "the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independance of the United States of America the Twelfth" thereby establishing a year as the standard 365 day solar year as defined by the Gregorian Calendar. Therefore when Article II says "neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years", those years are human years and not dog years. The oldest dog ever documented lived to just under 30 years old. Even if we accept the personhood of a dog, the age requirement de facto excludes dogs. Your move. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Tricky D posted:

• Locked thread