Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Star Trek always said the 21st century was going to be a real shitshow.

I can see two terms of the modern Republican party creating Sanctuary Districts. We're right on track for First Contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kazinsal posted:

I can see two terms of the modern Republican party creating Sanctuary Districts. We're right on track for First Contact.

If anything Sanctuary Districts are too optimistic given Republican views on the homeless are less "fallen on hard times" and more "parasites that need to be shot".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I heard Fuller dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpE_xMRiCLE

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 27, 2016

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

If anything Sanctuary Districts are too optimistic given Republican views on the homeless are less "fallen on hard times" and more "parasites that need to be shot".

In Canada I wouldn't be surprised if it were a Liberal government that brings them in, marketed as a great progressive measure so the people in gated communities feel good about voting for them

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tighclops posted:

In Canada I wouldn't be surprised if it were a Liberal government that brings them in, marketed as a great progressive measure so the people in gated communities feel good about voting for them

Exactly, they sound way too compassionate on paper to be conservative.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Arglebargle III posted:

What is that new triple parentheses thing?

It's also used to signify (((birds talking)))

/

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's also me trying and failing to be funny. Sorry, Trek thread.

Not sorry about the ship thing, though.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Arglebargle III posted:

What is that new triple parentheses thing?

~¤~i'm not sure~¤~

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad it took the trek thread to finally teach me what the gently caress these (((names))) are about.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's also me trying and failing to be funny. Sorry, Trek thread.

If it's any consolation, I thought it was funny.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What's funny is that the Vulcan salute is actually derived from a rabbinical gesture Nimoy peeked at (though the original used both hands, I believe). You probably could squeeze out a book about the Jewish influences in Trek. I bet someone already has!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vulcans and Bajorans and Ferengi (gulp) Oh my!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

Vulcans and Bajorans and Ferengi (gulp) Oh my!

Don't you mean (((Ferengi)))? :v:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Enterprise is starting to warm up to me a little. I liked the episode where Trip and Malcolm were stranded in a shuttle together and I like how T'Pol has one emotion and that emotion is "done".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Astroman posted:

Don't you mean (((Ferengi)))? :v:
I felt I was skirting a probie enough as it was.

Pikestaff posted:

Enterprise is starting to warm up to me a little. I liked the episode where Trip and Malcolm were stranded in a shuttle together and I like how T'Pol has one emotion and that emotion is "done".
For all its faults Enterprise was the first Trek where I finally "got" Trek's particular rhythms and peculiarities as a show. Somehow growing up with TNG/DS9/VOY just hadn't broken through. I'm also partial to Scott Bakula playing Archer like W. Bush's pre-9/11 PR image the first two seasons.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

But, Vulcans can't be Jewish?
They can if their mother was.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Awesome, Adam Scott is at the helm of the Defiant in First Contact, awesome

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Check him out in Hellraiser 4. Dude aged a frighteningly low amount in 20 years.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I never notice this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNbVxMNFvk

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Check him out in Hellraiser 4. Dude aged a frighteningly low amount in 20 years.

But that would involve watching Hellraiser 4.
:rimshot:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I only realized this watching First Contact before I saw Beyond this summer. Unreal.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

WickedHate posted:

Something I've been wondering lately: I watched Encounter at Farpoint last weekend for the first time in like a decade, and they mention that Q's kangaroo court is from the 2080's. How does that gel with the fact that First Contact happened in 2063, and that it transformed human civilization pretty much overnight? Were there holdouts somewhere on Earth where the post-nuclear society held sway for a significant amount of time after the Vulcans showed up and became our babysitters? Why would the Vulcans allow that?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think in the post-atomic horror, humanity was looking to get the hell off Earth, and the nascent warp drive technology coupled with some Vulcan handholding (or restraint, depending on how you look at it) made for an effective way to start getting the "civilization" out. The post-atomic horror is what was left behind.

FTL wasn't what made the Federation a utopia. At-will nearly limitless energy-to-matter conversion (matter-antimatter reactors hooked up to replicators) did, and that didn't show up until at least the late 23rd century.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

But, Vulcans can't be Jewish?

I'd bet there are Jewish Vulcans.

Just like how religion spreads across our planet, you'd think that it could also spread among other species. They'd probably be in the minority, but I'm sure some Vulcans might want to convert. Or any other species or religion for that matter. Buddhist Klingons. Catholic Ferengi. Muslim Betazoids. How about humans that follow the teachings of Kahless? It's a shame the show doesn't present any kind of intermingling of cultures. I guess it's a lot harder to write than "VULCANS = LOGIC"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WickedHate posted:

But that would involve watching Hellraiser 4.
:rimshot:
FINE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-szf9FRi8M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0R2xFmcYU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's no suggestion humanity's problems disappear overnight. Troi tells Cochrane that war/poverty/etc are gone within a century, but that's plenty of time for Q's courts and whatnot.

I believe the NX-01 launch is just a couple years after the last holdouts join the United Earth government, and that's like... 2140s? Or I might be thinking of the Earth Alliance in B5. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd bet there are Jewish Vulcans.

Just like how religion spreads across our planet, you'd think that it could also spread among other species. They'd probably be in the minority, but I'm sure some Vulcans might want to convert. Or any other species or religion for that matter. Buddhist Klingons. Catholic Ferengi. Muslim Betazoids. How about humans that follow the teachings of Kahless? It's a shame the show doesn't present any kind of intermingling of cultures. I guess it's a lot harder to write than "VULCANS = LOGIC"
You and I both know that the Ferengi would convert to Objectivism or perhaps Scientology.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kazinsal posted:

I think in the post-atomic horror, humanity was looking to get the hell off Earth, and the nascent warp drive technology coupled with some Vulcan handholding (or restraint, depending on how you look at it) made for an effective way to start getting the "civilization" out. The post-atomic horror is what was left behind.

FTL wasn't what made the Federation a utopia. At-will nearly limitless energy-to-matter conversion (matter-antimatter reactors hooked up to replicators) did, and that didn't show up until at least the late 23rd century.

It was actually the New World Economy or whatever it's called, which was implemented around the start of the 22nd century. At least, that's when money/disease/poverty/hunger were all made obsolete on Earth.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

Something I've been wondering lately: I watched Encounter at Farpoint last weekend for the first time in like a decade, and they mention that Q's kangaroo court is from the 2080's. How does that gel with the fact that First Contact happened in 2063, and that it transformed human civilization pretty much overnight? Were there holdouts somewhere on Earth where the post-nuclear society held sway for a significant amount of time after the Vulcans showed up and became our babysitters? Why would the Vulcans allow that?

I bet if you asked Moore and Braga they would say "oh yeah of course the kangaroo courts were over by the time Cochrane was doing his test flight". (i.e. I don't think they checked their dates against ~established continuity~ and essentially contradicted Farpoint)

Kazinsal posted:

Antimatter isn't an energy source, it's an energy storage medium. The real breakthrough would be cheap and prolific fusion power.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Antimatter isn't an energy source, it's an energy storage medium. The real breakthrough would be cheap and prolific fusion power.

I think it's implied at some point that it's solar for Earth, although that probably involves spacebourne power stations. Then again, that is free fusion power.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 28, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always figured they had giant solar stations with antimatter generators to provide all the fuel. Antimatter's a pain and expensive to make but if you're just drawing the power from a star who cares.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm sure there's some universe made of antimatter that they can access through science fiction bullshit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zurui posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I never notice this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNbVxMNFvk

1. Why is the main view screen not already on?

2. I hate the dramatic pause Picard does before saying fire. You see at least one ship explode in that time. If he'd said fire straight away, it might have been possible to save some of that crew.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no suggestion humanity's problems disappear overnight. Troi tells Cochrane that war/poverty/etc are gone within a century, but that's plenty of time for Q's courts and whatnot.

I believe the NX-01 launch is just a couple years after the last holdouts join the United Earth government, and that's like... 2140s? Or I might be thinking of the Earth Alliance in B5. :v:

Colonel Green did nothing wrong.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

To show off the new effect, of course. Never mind it's always been depicted as 3D.

quote:

2. I hate the dramatic pause Picard does before saying fire. You see at least one ship explode in that time. If he'd said fire straight away, it might have been possible to save some of that crew.

Well, the implication (and the explanation in the novelisation) was that he heard the Cube's momentary shielding weakness through the Borg voices he mentioned hearing a second before, so it might've required waiting for a specific time?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 28, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grand Fromage posted:

I always figured they had giant solar stations with antimatter generators to provide all the fuel. Antimatter's a pain and expensive to make but if you're just drawing the power from a star who cares.

Antimatter would be a huge safety liability on the ground. Besides, you don't need that kind of energy density on the ground, you mostly just need it for warp drive and the occasional wave motion gun attack deflector dish energy burst.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I figure antimatter is just for starships since you need a lot of energy density there, planets/stations use solar and fusion.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

The_Doctor posted:

More importantly, what are Riker and Picard staring dramatically at moments before it gets turned on? The back of Data's head?

Without the viewscreen on, the enterprise bridge is super awkward. Everything is set up so that nobody can look at anyone's face.

It's like that friend who has their living room set up entirely for TV watching. Then they have a party and you realize that you're all just sitting there pointing at a wall while you're trying to talk.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nessus posted:

You and I both know that the Ferengi would convert to Objectivism or perhaps Scientology.

That's racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

That's the exact thing I remember from the tech guide. It even talks about how the power loss is 'acceptable for Starship operations' when it's like, shut up dude, free power!