Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

Wait wait wait you can UPGRADE ships now? When did that happen? I just played two full grand campaigns and every time I had this tedious task of slowly decommissioning my old fleet and replacing it with a shiny new one.

Tsyni posted:

...6months ago, maybe? It's been a while

IIRC it's an Art of War feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
try 2 years, that got added in Art of War. you have to pay for it though

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

art of war more like fart of super casual :smuggo:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

Sometimes I forget how long I've been playing this game :|

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
whole bunch of mountain ranges becoming wasteland:

pyrenees, carpathians, causasus, and whatever that one in scandinavia is

presumably there'll be even more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

gently caress yeah. Are those thicker province borders around (presumably) Area boundaries as well? That's rad.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's around estates, apparently. Now you mention it, area boundaries would be really nice though, flicking to the areas mapmode constantly is kind of annoying.

It's all on Johan's twitter and there's a big thread on the Paradox forums compiling it. There's a bunch more stuff I didn't post too.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Koramei posted:

It's around estates, apparently. Now you mention it, area boundaries would be really nice though, flicking to the areas mapmode constantly is kind of annoying.

It's all on Johan's twitter and there's a big thread on the Paradox forums compiling it. There's a bunch more stuff I didn't post too.

States/areas

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Are those mountains really called the Scandes?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Mountains

Also, I guess I never thanked whoever rounded out the borders on the Kola peninsula. Holy hell was that a long time in coming.

Now move country map colors outside the checksum please.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 27, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That makes me really angry.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

pdxjohan posted:

States/areas

oh cool, thanks for the clarification.

that's gonna be pretty useful

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

whole bunch of mountain ranges becoming wasteland:

pyrenees, carpathians, causasus, and whatever that one in scandinavia is

presumably there'll be even more.

That's really great. In combination with besiegers being the attackers in battle, having a tight bottleneck like that is going to make things a lot easier for the Iberians against France.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Paradox is having a sale on their website. Expansions are going for 50-66% off, minus the latest one.

e: Base game and portrait/music/unit DLC on sale too, obv.

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 27, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

That's really great. In combination with besiegers being the attackers in battle, having a tight bottleneck like that is going to make things a lot easier for the Iberians against France.

Now if only we could teach the AI to stalemate there, we could get some real Italian Wars going!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

That makes me really angry.

why

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Dali Parton posted:

Paradox is having a sale on their website. Expansions are going for 50-66% off, minus the latest one.

e: Base game and portrait/music/unit DLC on sale too, obv.

Thanks for this, was able to pick up Mare Nostrum for $5. :tipshat:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Koramei posted:

thx for the link

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ok now thanks to trade I have a ton of money, like 4000 ducats just hanging around. What can I do with it besides building stuff?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Ok now thanks to trade I have a ton of money, like 4000 ducats just hanging around. What can I do with it besides building stuff?

Buy tons of mercenaries to kill everyone without regard for your manpower
Pay countries to like you a little bit more
Funnel money to the enemies of your enemies to contain them
Pay off the debt of other countries so that they like you more (DLC?)
Hoard it and embrace the next institution really quickly

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It's a stupid name

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
How tough is the Mamluk start? I'd like to try them out and form Arabia when I have the time, but all strategy guides seem to be pre-strait block changes and it's no longer possible to just trap the Turks in Greece for an easy war.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The mamluks are quite strong early but the ottomans will surpass them easily if you wait too long, so you have to strike as fast as you can. Catch them while they are busy fighting someone else and go for a decisive victory. After you kinda break them the first time and deny them the opportunity to expand eastwards and south, you're pretty safe.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I did an arabian coffee run in the cossacks expansion, and was safe from the ottomans after grabbing iraq from QQ and a bunch of Arabia/NE Africa.

Eventually you can ally PLC/Austria and really go to town, although I just noticed a Muscowy-Otto alliance in one of my current game so good luck with that

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
One of the best things you can do as the Mamalukes is to eat as much land from the Turkish minors as you can before the Ottomans can. You can strengthen yourself while denying them what's normaly free land.

And remeber if someone is small enough to eat in one war you can full annex them then spit them back out as vassle without the opinion penalty from force vassalising them.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Vorpal Cat posted:

One of the best things you can do as the Mamalukes is to eat as much land from the Turkish minors as you can before the Ottomans can. You can strengthen yourself while denying them what's normaly free land.

And remeber if someone is small enough to eat in one war you can full annex them then spit them back out as vassle without the opinion penalty from force vassalising them.

Do be careful with this, as you'll take more AE than from a force-vassalisation.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Obliterati posted:

Do be careful with this, as you'll take more AE than from a force-vassalisation.

It's a question of what's more valuable to you, 33% less AE or saving some diplo points and having a more loyal vassal. Useful trick if your in Africa or cental Asia, not so useful in the HRE.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Vorpal Cat posted:

It's a question of what's more valuable to you, 33% less AE or saving some diplo points and having a more loyal vassal. Useful trick if your in Africa or cental Asia, not so useful in the HRE.

How does it save you diplo points? I'm assuming it's not the opinion because you need 190 to diplo annex anyway. Is there some other mechanic I'm not aware of where forced vassals are more expensive to annex?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Unless you have a subjugation CB vassalising through war will cost diplo points at the peace table

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yo how do I stop getting ganked by AI? Or at least, how can I get my AI buddies to help me gank?

I'm rollin up on some fine French territory, my 20k army hits the French 20k army, we're about to win... and then out from the cuts comes another 15k army by a french ally to help curbstomp me.

I look back and my allies are sitting on their forts or running around in circles with more than enough men to help out, but they dont.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dali Parton posted:

Yo how do I stop getting ganked by AI? Or at least, how can I get my AI buddies to help me gank?

I'm rollin up on some fine French territory, my 20k army hits the French 20k army, we're about to win... and then out from the cuts comes another 15k army by a french ally to help curbstomp me.

I look back and my allies are sitting on their forts or running around in circles with more than enough men to help out, but they dont.

Check the "allies can attach" box on your armies' windows and you have a good chance of allies coming and attaching to your army, if they're not busy doing something else. You can also set the province you plan to attack as a target for a specific ally, which will bait them to attempt to besiege it, again if they don't want to do something else instead. If you really want not to get separated from an ally you can attach to their army, but I wouldn't recommend this (especially not against France or other serious opposition) because the AI in this game is quite stupid and frequently makes lovely tactical decisions.

As a general rule, never get into a war where you couldn't bring enough manpower to bear to defeat the enemy's entire force in a single battle, unless you have very good reason to believe that they wouldn't be able to unite into a single force (like if half of their army strength comes from colonies, or they can't possibly get military access through whoever is blocking them from you, or you have a really strongly fortified border that they can't break through without loads and loads of siege time, or if they can only reach you by sea and you have a much stronger navy). This is because if the enemy can mass together all its troops and smash your armies one by one, it totally will and you need to be ready to respond if it tries.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alternatively, sometimes you just have to support your allies armies, even though they're generally terrible at winning wars, especially ones with multiple belligerents.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dali Parton posted:

As a general rule, always assume AI allies will act as dumb as possible at all times. Only trust them to fight if they are literally moving to the province.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I can't tell you how many wars I've lost because my allies decided to wander off into the uncolonized wilderness instead of coming to help me.

So yeah, just don't trust them ever.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The corollary to all of this is that you can reliably beat larger armies if the stars are aligned. Often it comes down to combat width and clever trickling of reinforcements.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I yearn for HOI4's combat system.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

The corollary to all of this is that you can reliably beat larger armies if the stars are aligned. Often it comes down to combat width and clever trickling of reinforcements.

Especially now with the new fort system, if you have a chokepoint fort in low-width terrain (mountains are best obviously) you can reliably beat stronger enemies by relieving the sieges.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
France is stacking 48k troops in a 19 supply province during peace time. They've been doing this for years now :pwn:

e: this is probably because they're allies with me again right? They'll start effortlessly ganking me and use pro strats once I go against them right?

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 29, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TorakFade posted:

Sometimes when I play a rich nation I wish I could invest money directly into development. Like it costs x3 the monarch point cost or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

And smartly choosing where you fight. So many times people have come into this thread complaining about getting destroyed in combat over and over and it turns out that they're attacking over rivers and also letting the AI have all of the defensive terrain advantages.

And with the most recent fort changes it's now easier than ever to get your enemy into a position that is hugely advantageous to you. A fort in the mountains is a huge advantage against against a larger, superior enemy force.

• Locked thread