Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

peanut- posted:

Getting a lot of use out of those Thunderbolt ports are you?

USB-c may well be the future but it isn't the here-and-now when I actually need to use my machine. USB is utterly ubiquitous and won't stop being so for many years - most manufacturers are still going to make the easy thing that they know works on the vast majority of devices.

Yes, I actually am.

I have a TB2 dock at work. Some TB external drives. I use the 1Gbit adapter for my home and work labs. I use a miniDP to dual HDMI adapter at home (not Thunderbolt, but same port)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really wanted a new Macbook Pro, but this update is underwhelming as gently caress. If Apple no longer has their heart in the Mac line then why don't they just drop their computers altogether? This digital strip that's been added on comes off like Apples engineers are bored and directionless. This is the most ridiculous gimmick i've ever personally seen on a laptop.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm really in with the general consensus that these are pretty weak excuses for an update and I'm utterly dis-interested in updating. The port argument is weird to me, when there's actual legitimate things to complain about.

Ultimately, I'm sticking with my early 2016 rMBP for work, and I'll probably end up getting an rMB for myself for home and loving around and making shitposts on crappy forums.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

A lot of people ITT don't have the courage to go spend $25-40 per adaptor to use 95% of products on the market. For shame.

But seriously, if your argument is "but it's the future" this is a tacit admission it's not supporting the here and now, which bizarrely is where and when you actually use your device.

e:
e.g. eBuyer lists 2 USB-C flash drives (incidentally way over-priced) and some ~450 USB-A.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 28, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

flosofl posted:

Ultimately, I'm sticking with my early 2016 rMBP for work

There's an early 2016 rMBP? I bought an rMBP a few months ago from the Fruit Stand, it's Mid-2015. I don't think early 2016 exists.

Really liking the Surface Book at work, though. ;-)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

e:
e.g. eBuyer lists 2 USB-C flash drives (incidentally way over-priced) and some ~450 USB-A.

Whoever is making Jose 2 USB-C drives are the courageous ones.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I'm now seriously considering grabbing a Microsoft Surface instead of an iPad Pro as a replacement for my aging iPad 2 to see if I can live with the Microsoft ecosystem when my MBP dies.

I haven't owned a Windows PC for over a decade.

:wtf: Apple

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I bought a surface pro 3 and returned it for a MacBook last year. I thought the surface was poo poo

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How much are 2012 Mac Minis going for on eBay nowadays if you need an OSX build machine?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

squidgee posted:

I'm now seriously considering grabbing a Microsoft Surface instead of an iPad Pro as a replacement for my aging iPad 2 to see if I can live with the Microsoft ecosystem when my MBP dies.

I haven't owned a Windows PC for over a decade.

:wtf: Apple

As I said before, the Surface Book is really cool. It won't play games well (although I haven't tried) but it has good battery life, the Surface Dock is just one cable to break out to multiple USB, HDMI, Ethernet and charging. The pencil and pulling out the clipboard to take to meetings without taking the base is pretty cool, then when you slide it back in to the base that's connected to your dock all your monitors and external peripherals come alive. I enjoy using it at work, because we're a Microsoft shop I kinda have to. My boss is a weirdo, he brought his own rMBP and just runs Windows 10 on it all the time...

I pretty much never use the clipboard feature though. It's easier to just unplug and bring the whole laptop and use a full keyboard. Also in laptop mode the headphone jack is in a really weird place.

That being said, I've experienced some bugs (I had to disable the display sleep with the dock because my external kept flashing from a black screen to a blue "No Signal" screen, driving my coworkers nuts), the UI in Win10 is nowhere near as nice as OS X although an improvement, and it's not UNIX! I loathe having to go through cygwin.

It's still an expensive machine, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BobHoward posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've seen this posted, and frankly, jesus christ, just stop. This exists:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m

I mean I know right now ITT it's basically a competition to see who can vomit out the hottestdumbest takes about how Apple / the Mac is over, but really? Up your games, shitposters. How on earth could you think that making a lightning to USB C cable would be just too tough to manage?

(Also, hint, this cable is not a new product. The reason for it to exist has been around since March 2015; this isn't Apple's first USB C only laptop.)

Oh, I didn't realize the correct cable and dongle actually do come with the iPhone 7. If I buy a new MacBook will it come with a nice pouch to store my dongles in?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For just a pure laptop with no bullshit, how is the Razer Blade Stealth laptop?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

ethanol posted:

I bought a surface pro 3 and returned it for a MacBook last year. I thought the surface was poo poo

What was lovely about it (as an iPad replacement, not a main machine)?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I for one am definitely gonna give the new Macbook a chance (= take a look in person and consider ordering a 13" one for ~2000€). I've just been really happy with the last Macs I've used. Even if they seemed underwhelming on paper, like the 2015 Air - in practice, I think I'm having a much better experience than my non-Mac friends.

Although I DO wish they had put more battery in there.

Are the new ones gonna be in stores on Monday?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I said come in! posted:

holy poo poo wtf what is this thing

okay, so I can spend half of what I planned and get this, which is better than what I even loving expected from apple

Steve, why

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I never plugged anything into my MacBook when I had one so I'm excited about the new 13 MBP. I don't care about the function keys so I'm cool with the touch bar. Gonna wait for it to show up on the refurb store in a few months and snag one at a discount.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

holy poo poo wtf what is this thing

okay, so I can spend half of what I planned and get this, which is better than what I even loving expected from apple

Steve, why

For $1400, you get their laptop and the Razer Core which lets you use any graphics card and has 4 USB 3.0 ports and ethernet. I want to buy this bundle and use it as my main PC gaming setup.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Looks like retailers are already offering up the new ones at a discounted price.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/28/if-y...t-1140-360-off/

that makes it a little easier to deal with and are probably what apple should have charged to begin with.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 28, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

How big is the new trackpad compared to the magic trackpads?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I said come in! posted:

If you are after pure portability you should also check out the XPS 13. They just refreshed to use Kaby Lake as well.

I said come in! posted:

For $1400, you get their laptop and the Razer Core which lets you use any graphics card and has 4 USB 3.0 ports and ethernet. I want to buy this bundle and use it as my main PC gaming setup.

But if you are this setup, then yeah, not really much alternatives.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Biodome posted:

I never plugged anything into my MacBook when I had one so I'm excited about the new 13 MBP. I don't care about the function keys so I'm cool with the touch bar. Gonna wait for it to show up on the refurb store in a few months and snag one at a discount.
The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to look forward to the touch bar. Just easy mapping of shortcuts seems very promising.

They should really deliver desktops with keyboards with touch bars though.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 28, 2016

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

.Z. posted:

If you are after pure portability you should also check out the XPS 13. They just refreshed to use Kaby Lake as well.

a great laptop if you appreciate the keyboard flexing downward everytime you type

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

badjohny posted:

Looks like retailers are already offering up the new ones at a discounted price.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/28/if-y...t-1140-360-off/

that makes it a little easier to deal with and are probably what apple should have charged to begin with.

The "$360 off!" thing links to an unavailable Amazon marketplace listing, so it was probably never real.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What are all these references to "courage?"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

Apple cited "courage" as the reason for dropping the headphone jack on the iPhone 7.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dick Trauma posted:

Did you miss the whole iPhone 7 keynote where they said ditching features everyone still likes and wants is courageous?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

ONE Old style thunderbolt and one old style USB port would shut me and most of everyone else up

The price hike is stupid too

This or even a 4K display would make me shut up. There is no excuse to not include a 4k display in the 15" laptops.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

The "$360 off!" thing links to an unavailable Amazon marketplace listing, so it was probably never real.

They were all up and working this morning. drat. I would have bought one at those prices.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rabid Snake posted:

This or even a 4K display would make me shut up. There is no excuse to not include a 4k display in the 15" laptops.

Why, other than the fact to check a box that says '4k'?

The pixels are small enough at current resolution. You're just killing battery life and performance by going higher on the built-in screen.

I could understand possibly arguing for 1680x1050 Retina (3360x2100) instead of 3840x2160, but it's not like the lack of a 4k display hurts anyone.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I gave it some thought last night - I just can't do it. I'm just going to use my mid 2014 15" MBP until it dies.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Christ, you were about to spend that much? I can afford it too many many times over but that's just stupid.

I've been talking with my coworkers today and everyone says WAIT. Wait to see what Apple does next year. Wait to see if we still want to stick with the platform. And I agree. 2015 rMBPs are perfectly fine, and plentiful on the used market.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Why, other than the fact to check a box that says '4k'?

The pixels are small enough at current resolution. You're just killing battery life and performance by going higher on the built-in screen.

I could understand possibly arguing for 1680x1050 Retina (3360x2100) instead of 3840x2160, but it's not like the lack of a 4k display hurts anyone.

Using 1440x900 sucks for any development work so I always use 1900x1200 mode, which doesn't 2x scale and looks pixelated under the "retina" display.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

I loving love my iPad Pro.

Right on.

I'm honestly pondering whether I need a laptop at all at this point. My iPad Pro + Logi keyboard already does 90% of my stuff at home and they could probably replace my work laptop if not for the lovely Remedy ticketing web application we use. The few apps that tie me to full fledge computers are probably one or two generations away from being 'good enough' on iOS.

The Verge had an article on the price increase being a direct result of falling market share. PC's went from specialized to commodities, and are now becoming niche items again and the price is reflecting that. Maybe we'll get lucky and see one more update of the Mini and Air before Apple completely leaves the low end PC market.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Haha that price is insane...

Xabi posted:

The Touch Bar will probably revolutionise DJ-ing though.

This is probably a joke, but it's completely worthless for DJing and I don't understand why people keep bringing it up. Did they advertise it somewhere for DJing?

FWIW I've been DJing for 13 years with every type of technology from turntable to controller

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

eddiewalker posted:

Did you miss the whole iPhone 7 keynote where they said ditching features everyone still likes and wants is courageous?

I didn't watch that. It sounded like this dumb thing that Dan Rather did back in the Stone Age...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWgL5W0b6k0

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

During the keynote they had a DJ with a persian accent come on stage to demonstrate "scratching" using the touch bar. It was too good to be true. I couldn't stop laughing.

Man...I miss Cali.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Isn't DJing just some guy playing a track off their flash drive these days. Not being facetious

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Isn't DJing just some guy playing a track off their flash drive these days. Not being facetious

That or plugging their iPad into an external speaker.

Two tablets and a microphone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*touchbar crashes during sick drop*
*crowd kills each other in frenzied anticipation of fat bass*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Vegetable posted:

More or less. I used to want to be a DJ, I own legit turntables (Tech 12s mk2!) and sometimes buy vinyl. Even people with turntables just buy time-coded records that connect to their laptop, Final Scratch is one solution.

Most everyone else uses a fully digital solution where yeah you basically just click play and the thing can calculate how to beatmatch, you can fade as you want, it's trivial. Turntabilism isn't dead, it's still alive in the hip hop culture, but it's really easy to create nice sounding mixes these days without throwing around vinyl and having to beatmatch by hand.

DJing isn't dead, it's about reading the crowd, figuring out what to play next, keeping the energy going, and for big shows it's a highly-coordinated pre-planned act that is synced to lights and pyrotechnics and stuff like that (see deadmau5).

I know DJs. I know professional DJs. None of them would touch this poo poo. They'd buy the laptop, they wouldn't use the Touch Bar thing for a performance.