Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ok whew i was worried it would be something difficult

Travelling Salesman isn't really that difficult if you only need a probably-close-to-optimal solution rather than a perfect one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Soylent recalled because people keep getting sick. Disrupt your GI system!
Still can't decide what is more head shakingly stupid: a powdered food company calling itself Soylent or a big data/software company calling itself Palantir.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
A college drop out started
MAKE COLLEGE
A 2 year college for startup entrepreneurs who are passionate about building apps.
I'm not even kidding, https://youtu.be/FJ1QtII2QN0

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cheese posted:

Still can't decide what is more head shakingly stupid: a powdered food company calling itself Soylent or a big data/software company calling itself Palantir.

Palantir is amazing commentary on what it does and the environment that allows it to exist.

They just get mad when you point this out.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Soylent is straight up retched, but I admit I have thought about keeping a pack around in case I get really hungry.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Soylent is straight up retched, but I admit I have thought about keeping a pack around in case I get really hungry.

Food is already available in most stores.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

If you really don't want to eat normal person food, MREs both taste better and I'm pretty sure are cheaper

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Or you could just grab Ensure if you were really desperate for that chalky taste.

(Disclaimer: I haven't had Ensure in like ten years, maybe it's better now.)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Have you heard about this new disruptive invention known as cans?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
That or dried and frozen stuff. I usually keep some of each and can whip something up in a hunger emergency. I can still see some value in a product like that, but there are already established products which apparently don't make you sick so...

boner confessor posted:

most transit systems are trying to reduce operating costs per mile, not increase them
Running a minivan is cheaper than a huge fuckoff bus, so cost per passenger mile could decrease since they're often like 90% empty as-is.

In any case, the idea was to displace private cars, not regular buses. For this, they'd need a lot more flexibility that comes with running smaller vehicles. If you still have to go to a regular bus stop and go through a long indirect route to drop off 50 others, you might as well use a regular bus or, even better, just drive yourself.

Prism posted:

Palantir is amazing commentary on what it does and the environment that allows it to exist.

They just get mad when you point this out.
Could someone tl;dr this? I keep hearing about it but it's apparently just some LOTR nerd poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The whole idea of Soylent as a "disruption" was that it only takes 1-2 minutes to mix water, powder, and the oil to make a "complete" meal and let you get back to your 14 hours of programming or web design.

You can literally microwave better and likely healthier food in the same time and simply do your work during the few extra minutes it takes to cook. Instant rice is 3 minutes and a can of beans is ready either immediately or shortly once it heats to the temperature you want. Actual rice can be cooked with maybe a minute or 2 of prep (dump water and rice into a cooker, wait) and then any number of cheap foods can be mixed in.

The idea that Soylent was cheaper then real food is based on the idea that no one has the time to go to a store, buy some rice, veggies, butter, spices, etc. and spend a bit of time prepping it for the week. It says more about the idea of the tech culture that spending 15 minutes chopping up onions, peppers, mushrooms etc. one afternoon for an entire 7 day meal prep is such a loving waste of time that you need to gulp down this watery mix that is unregulated as food but 100% safe (until people get insanely ill from it)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

instant rice with soy sauce is p loving delicious and hardly any work. at least it's less work cleaning up after than soylent

of course it's not an entire meal replacement, but you shouldn't be eating such things unless medically necessary. eating well and taking breaks from work are important for your mental health and wellbeing

Condiv fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 28, 2016

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
From the people that brought you Airbnb not renting to black vacationers:

An investigation by Propublica suggests that Facebook is digitizing redlining, i.e. allowing advertisers for housing options exclude people by races.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pastrymancy posted:

From the people that brought you Airbnb not renting to black vacationers:

An investigation by Propublica suggests that Facebook is digitizing redlining, i.e. allowing advertisers for housing options exclude people by races.

as heinous as this is it's a natural consequence of facebook as an advertising delivery tool. also it's not quite the same as redlining, which has to do with housing finance rather than one method of telling people about the availability of homes. banks and other loan providers can redline, but a listing service can't necessarily - that's called steering

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Thanks for the term clarification.

It'll be interesting/depressing to see what Facebook has to say when pressed on this, if it's pressed on it at all.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pastrymancy posted:

It'll be interesting/depressing to see what Facebook has to say when pressed on this, if it's pressed on it at all.

some variation of "giving the customer what they want" and "it's not us who do the racism"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mobby_6kl posted:

Could someone tl;dr this? I keep hearing about it but it's apparently just some LOTR nerd poo poo.

Short short version, the Palantirs were communication devices used by the bad guys during the movies. The good guys got a hold of one and fed it false information to confuse the enemy.
By naming the company/software Palantir, the government is in the role of the bad guys and the terrorists are in the role of the good guys. Kind of like how Soylent was the bad guys in that movie because they were killing people and turning them into food.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pastrymancy posted:

probably nothing. other advertisers do this all the time, targeting pitches by zip code, channel, radio station, etc. facebook has just built such a sophisticated marketing apparatus that they can specifically filter out left handed retirees who like golf, so they can also filter out racial minorities with ease

it's not that facebook is doing something unprecedented here - every advertiser wishes they had that level of granularity. i think rather it's the straightforwardness with which advertising can be targeted like this that shocks people

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Condiv posted:

instant rice with soy sauce is p loving delicious and hardly any work. at least it's less work cleaning up after than soylent

of course it's not an entire meal replacement, but you shouldn't be eating such things unless medically necessary. eating well and taking breaks from work are important for your mental health and wellbeing

Look at this unmotivated lay about. When you get to being passionate about your work, maybe it will be somewhere other than Sears.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

What happens when a unicorn is no longer allowed to claim its employees are independent contractors? Let's find out!

Uber Loses U.K. Ruling, Entitling Drivers to Minimum Wage

quote:

“This judgment acknowledges the central contribution that Uber’s drivers have made to Uber’s success by confirming that its drivers are not self-employed but that they work for Uber as part of the company’s business," Nigel Mackay, a lawyer at Leigh Day who represented the drivers, said in an e-mailed statement Friday.

"This decision will potentially open the floodgates for further claims, not just from Uber drivers but from thousands of others who work in the gig economy," said Lee Rogers, an employment lawyer at Weightmans, who wasn’t involved in the suit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

duz posted:

Short short version, the Palantirs were communication devices used by the bad guys during the movies. The good guys got a hold of one and fed it false information to confuse the enemy.
By naming the company/software Palantir, the government is in the role of the bad guys and the terrorists are in the role of the good guys. Kind of like how Soylent was the bad guys in that movie because they were killing people and turning them into food.
It's worse than that, palantirs were originally used by the good guys until the bad guys got their hands on all of them and actively used them to corrupt and mislead people, and the one that Sauron had could eavesdrop on any of the other palantir-to-palantir communications.

(spergin out hard)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

duz posted:

Kind of like how Soylent was the bad guys in that movie because they were killing people and turning them into food.

If I remember correctly the soylent company was killing people AND the soylent company was turning people into food but they had not yet killed anyone and turned them into food.

They had got all the corpses from the normal corpse disposal system and the people they killed to cover it up were just regular killed. At the end they wanted to kill and turn the protagonist into food but they had not do so by the end of the movie.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Doggles posted:

What happens when a unicorn is no longer allowed to claim its employees are independent contractors? Let's find out!

Uber Loses U.K. Ruling, Entitling Drivers to Minimum Wage

This is the best part:

quote:

"The overwhelming majority of drivers who use the Uber app want to keep the freedom and flexibility of being able to drive when and where they want," Jo Bertram, regional general manager of Uber in the U.K., said in an e-mailed statement."

By which I mean they could pay a living wage and let people keep the "freedom and flexibility", but that would be terrible for the bottom line. As it turns out, "freedom and flexibility" is a red herring used to keep Uber from going even more negative on a quarterly basis.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Condiv posted:

eating well and taking breaks from work are important for your mental health and wellbeing

sshhh don't say this out loud in your workplace or your name will end up on the agitators list

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

probably nothing. other advertisers do this all the time, targeting pitches by zip code, channel, radio station, etc. facebook has just built such a sophisticated marketing apparatus that they can specifically filter out left handed retirees who like golf, so they can also filter out racial minorities with ease

it's not that facebook is doing something unprecedented here - every advertiser wishes they had that level of granularity. i think rather it's the straightforwardness with which advertising can be targeted like this that shocks people

Housing specifically is a thing where offering the option to filter the audience by race looks really bad.

edit: Which is basically the subject of the article, which I should have read before posting.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 28, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mobby_6kl posted:

Running a minivan is cheaper than a huge fuckoff bus, so cost per passenger mile could decrease since they're often like 90% empty as-is.
Not necessarily, not if you count in maintenance and safety. Buses are built to safety standards assuming they'll do mondo miles and need to evacuate people quickly in a crisis. Minivans are built to safety standards assuming they'll do maybe 200,000 miles and have to evacuate people who are already familiar with the car. There are small shuttles, but then the cost per mile goes up again. tl;dr: transportation is complicated and common sense isn't.

Boot and Rally posted:

By which I mean they could pay a living wage and let people keep the "freedom and flexibility", but that would be terrible for the bottom line. As it turns out, "freedom and flexibility" is a red herring used to keep Uber from going even more negative on a quarterly basis.
:sparkles:
Note that the UK has had several investigations about employee rights recently; a parliamentary report came out last month finding that a major delivery company, Hermes, fired drivers for refusing to take a delivery (thus making them far from independent contractors) and, if considered as an employer, was paying far less than minimum wage when you considered the round-trip time it took to deliver some parcels.

quote:

Hermes managers, the report says, tell personnel when they’re going to work, and for how long. If they seek to capitalise on the “flexibility” their self-employed status should afford them, they won’t find themselves working for the company for very long.

The report’s authors claim that they have heard from one courier who “lost his job with Hermes while he was caring for his wife who was dying from cancer”. An isolated incident, albeit a horrible one? Not according to the report which is full of similar examples.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Boot and Rally posted:

Ummm... not just terrible for the bottom line. It would make the whole model a non starter. You couldn't run a traditional cab company on that basis, either.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

That's going to be a weird conversation in 5 years.

"So, what do you do for a living?"

"I'm working as a bartender, but a few years ago I was a big deal on a 6 sec video app. I had BILLIONS of views!"

Every Vine Star is an actor/musician/comedian using it as a promotional tool. You can find plenty of moderately popular musicians and comedians bartending on any given night in NY and LA

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Yes, but do they have BILLIONS of views? Checkmate Gen X. :smug:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
But seriously though, gently caress Uber. They clearly have no loving clue what they are doing, and even if they could accomplish this it would end up with people dying all over the place.

Why do tech bros not understand that the meaning of the word "crash" changes when you go from code to transportation?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

But seriously though, gently caress Uber. They clearly have no loving clue what they are doing, and even if they could accomplish this it would end up with people dying all over the place.

Why do tech bros not understand that the meaning of the word "crash" changes when you go from code to transportation?

If half-finished TED talks have taught me anything these are people who take immense pride in "failing" over and over again and pressing on, so when they're told "no" for very good reasons it doesn't tend to stick.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

withak posted:

Housing specifically is a thing where offering the option to filter the audience by race looks really bad.

edit: Which is basically the subject of the article, which I should have read before posting.

i dont disagree, but what facebook is doing here isn't explicitly illegal. the fair housing act prevents ads that say things like "blacks need not apply" but it doesn't prevent an apartment complex from only advertising in predominantly white media markets. the whole of advertising depends on targeting specific demographics for your pitch, where it gets weird is that facebook is so good at this targeting now it can do things that previously weren't protected against by law because it wasn't possible to do them

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

They clearly have no loving clue what they are doing, and even if they could accomplish this it would end up with people dying all over the place.

It's sad, because uber is an infinitely better experiance than a regular cab (especially if you are in another country, holy crap) but it's hard to tell how much that is or isn't a thing that hangs on them being just pure evil to their workers and being outlaws against totally just laws.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

silence_kit posted:

I think you've got this backwards. It's not that there is no demand for greater wireless communication capacity, it's just that there isn't that much inexpensive wireless communication capacity
full stop

There is a mathematical limit to how much information a channel can transmit. Shannon's law. As you can see, there are very few variables available to make C bigger. You can increase the bandwidth, but there are lots of users that want RF spectrum. And a bunch of it that's set aside for low-tech stuff that you absolutely don't want to disrupt with fancy new tech, because it's stuff like emergency, navigation, aviation, and other stuff that needs to be simple and 100% reliable.

You can increase power, but phones work on batteries and most people don't want a big high-gain antenna sticking out the top of their smartphone.

And you can decrease noise. Which means that channels need buffers between them (fewer total channels), and you'd rather not have massive gently caress-off powerful cell transmitters (because they'd interfere with each other). So the most efficient thing is to have lots and lots of little cell sites, which also can divide their capacity among fewer users. But that sounds pretty expensive. Hmmm, what if we put a tiny wireless site in everybody's house, and networked them together using some pre-existing infrastructure?

Wired connections can double capacity just by adding another wire.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Probably should have thought about this before you know, doing it:
https://twitter.com/rus/status/791681274339622913

probably should have thought about selling all the twitter stock he got in exchange right away

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's sad, because uber is an infinitely better experiance than a regular cab (especially if you are in another country, holy crap) but it's hard to tell how much that is or isn't a thing that hangs on them being just pure evil to their workers and being outlaws against totally just laws.
Uber probably saved my rear end from getting mugged/murdered in South Africa. A friend of mine drives for Uber (not in SA) and was quite happy with the arrangement. He even quit a corporate job for it. But let's not get into this poo poo yet again.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's worse than that, palantirs were originally used by the good guys until the bad guys got their hands on all of them and actively used them to corrupt and mislead people, and the one that Sauron had could eavesdrop on any of the other palantir-to-palantir communications.

(spergin out hard)
Oh gently caress. So how does this happen? Obviously they (and the Soylent guy) had to know enough to come up with the reference, but somehow completely miss the implication. drat.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Uber probably saved my rear end from getting mugged/murdered in South Africa. A friend of mine drives for Uber (not in SA) and was quite happy with the arrangement. He even quit a corporate job for it. But let's not get into this poo poo yet again.

Oh gently caress. So how does this happen? Obviously they (and the Soylent guy) had to know enough to come up with the reference, but somehow completely miss the implication. drat.

Noted sociopath Peter Thiel co-founded Palantir so he was probably fully aware of the implications.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Honestly, I think the Palantir people knew the implication completely and embraced it. Being black-mustached evil is fun, in your imagination.
e:f,b

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Klyith posted:

There is a mathematical limit to how much information a channel can transmit. Shannon's law. As you can see, there are very few variables available to make C bigger. You can increase the bandwidth, but there are lots of users that want RF spectrum. And a bunch of it that's set aside for low-tech stuff that you absolutely don't want to disrupt with fancy new tech, because it's stuff like emergency, navigation, aviation, and other stuff that needs to be simple and 100% reliable.

It's not really the laws of physics that have the spectrum divided the really dumb way that we have it divided. It's just a quirk of history that we gave smaller and worse spectrum every time a new thing was invented because no one knew ahead of time how useful radio would be for how many diffrent things.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Does anyone have any Soylent we can test? My sister-in-law is a microbiologist and we have access to equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

WrenP-Complete posted:

Does anyone have any Soylent we can test? My sister-in-law is a microbiologist and we have access to equipment.

countdown until melamine contamination joins lead and cadmium contamination for the chinese protein powder production trifecta