Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

I stopped reading comments on DPReview articles when I saw someone talking about how wireless connectivity on camera bodies was a bad idea because in the field, you'll have a bad connection and it will degrade the image quality. And half the thread was agreeing with him.

HAHAHAHA

https://flic.kr/p/MEj1yA

I literally took that picture last night from the campsite I am typing this message. Transferred it to my iPhone with the X-T1's wifi, made some very minor adjustments with the built-in Pictures app, and posted it unto social media.

It was shot with the $340 Rokinon 12mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

HAHAHAHA

https://flic.kr/p/MEj1yA

I literally took that picture last night from the campsite I am typing this message. Transferred it to my iPhone with the X-T1's wifi, made some very minor adjustments with the built-in Pictures app, and posted it unto social media.

It was shot with the $340 Rokinon 12mm.

Well yes. Because in real reality your wireless connection makes zero difference to the quality of images shot or transferred. That guy is basically the target audience for snake-oil poo poo like hi-fi HDMI cables or those quantum blocks of wood.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The PEN EPL-7 body is now down to $350 new.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What are the current favourite Fuji lenses? I heard that the 18-135/3.5-5.6 is a great do it all lens but it's obviously pricey. I know from past experience I'm lazy about changing lenses so having one that covers 80% of my needs would be good.

Is the idea still to get the best lens you can afford and skimp on the body?

This would be my first foray into mirrorless coming from a Nikon d80 that got stolen a while back.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

What are the current favourite Fuji lenses? I heard that the 18-135/3.5-5.6 is a great do it all lens but it's obviously pricey. I know from past experience I'm lazy about changing lenses so having one that covers 80% of my needs would be good.
Depends on your shooting style. I think the 50-140 is spectacular but I really liked 70-200 on my full frame camera and shot with that most often. You also have to consider how much you care about keeping a more compact setup. Abandoning my 5D3 and 70-200 has been liberating for my shooting and now I just leave a 35/2 on my camera most of the time. I still love the tele range and keep an XF 90 in the bag when needed, but really just like the 35.

That's a long way of saying: do you want a wide zoom, standard zoom, or tele zoom? There are great options in all of them.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Red_Fred posted:

This would be my first foray into mirrorless coming from a Nikon d80 that got stolen a while back.

Depends on your budget, but XT1+18-55mm combo is the go to recommendation.

Adorama had a XE2+18-55 fire sale but its gone.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Now that you mention the 35mm perhaps I just get that to start? I've always loved the ~50mm focal length. Could always add or replace with a zoom later on I suppose.

How good is the 27mm pancake? That looks kind of awesome and it's cheap.

Are Fuji generally tricky when it comes to parallel imported? I've never had any issues in the past with cameras but it's still worth checking.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Red_Fred posted:

Now that you mention the 35mm perhaps I just get that to start? I've always loved the ~50mm focal length. Could always add or replace with a zoom later on I suppose.

How good is the 27mm pancake? That looks kind of awesome and it's cheap.

Are Fuji generally tricky when it comes to parallel imported? I've never had any issues in the past with cameras but it's still worth checking.

I love the 27mm pancake. I actually recently sold my 35mm f/2 to buy one ( my second copy, I have a problem). It's tiny, light, and sharp the only thing it's not great at is narrow DOF it's bokeh just flat out isn't as good as the faster lenses.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

It really depends on what you are shooting. I have the 23, 35, and 18-135. They all get used depending on what I am doing. The 23 mm is really an amazing lens, but isn't best for portraits. The 35 mm is really versatile it is much smaller than the 23 mm and water resistant so this is my main lens when I go backpacking. The 18-135 sees the least amount of use, but I love wide range in zoom. If I am in a situation where I can't change the lens I use it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I still love my 35 1.4 but I really want something more pocketable with winter coming up.

Not that the xpro is that pocketable to begin with, but the 35 doesn't help.

Buuut I just bought an Olympus 35RC so maybe that'll be my winter camera. Who knows.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 28, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Any recommendations where to get an X-T2? I have the money now but I am just finding marked up Amazon sales. I want it now but at the same time I could put that money on a vertical grip (which I also plan on getting) but if it is going to be a long wait I guess I would pay more. I'm just not sure if I am missing some place obvious that has them in stock.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Thoren posted:

How can anyone hate Fuji? Outside of Fuji, all APS-C systems suck. The logic people use to justify slapping a 24-70mm on their x1.62 crop factor dslr is dumb. "There is a slight chance I will buy a large, expensive full frame camera several years from now."

wikipedia posted:

A classic illustration of cognitive dissonance is expressed in the fable "The Fox and the Grapes" by Aesop (ca. 620–564 BCE). In the story, a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. When the fox is unable to think of a way to reach them, he decides that the grapes are probably not worth eating, with the justification that the grapes probably are not ripe or that they are sour (hence the common phrase "sour grapes"). The moral that accompanies the story is "Any fool can despise what he cannot get". This example follows a pattern: one desires something, finds it unattainable, and reduces one's dissonance by criticizing it. Jon Elster calls this pattern "adaptive preference formation".

Cognitive dissonance has also been demonstrated to occur when people seek to:

Minimize regret of irrevocable choices: Bettors at a racetrack are more confident in their chosen horse just after placing the bet because they cannot change it (the bettors felt "post-decision dissonance").

Since it's typically not feasible to buy into multiple systems (Canon vs Nikon, Apple vs windows, PS vs Xbox, BMW vs Mercedes, etc) we find a way to justify our decision so we don't stay up all night worrying that we've made the ~wrong choice~.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

rio posted:

Any recommendations where to get an X-T2? I have the money now but I am just finding marked up Amazon sales. I want it now but at the same time I could put that money on a vertical grip (which I also plan on getting) but if it is going to be a long wait I guess I would pay more. I'm just not sure if I am missing some place obvious that has them in stock.

It has been almost constantly sold out. I nabbed one when it briefly came in stock on Amazon but it was out again a few hours later. I think the wait shouldn't be too long, 2 weeks tops if you are keeping an eye out and getting notification alerts. You can also try making a custom filter on this: https://www.nowinstock.net/

If you have a Samy's camera or the like in your area you can try there too.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

rio posted:

it won't be that long of a wait I'm sure. just put a reservation in at your local camera store and ask how many people are ahead of you.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

most people who stay in this field tend to transition to full frame

Is this actually true outside of professionals?

I'm just some guy who likes taking pictures of cool stuff. I've never thought, "I need full frame for this."

The worst part is that my Canon aps-c body is completely perfect for everything I need *except* lens selection.

feigning interest posted:

Since it's typically not feasible to buy into multiple systems (Canon vs Nikon, Apple vs windows, PS vs Xbox, BMW vs Mercedes, etc) we find a way to justify our decision so we don't stay up all night worrying that we've made the ~wrong choice~.

I did this for a while until I realized I was sticking 3.5 lbs of camera in people's faces for slightly sharper corners.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I still love my 35 1.4 but I really want something more pocketable with winter coming up.

Not that the xpro is that pocketable to begin with, but the 35 doesn't help.

Buuut I just bought an Olympus 35RC so maybe that'll be my winter camera. Who knows.

The 27mm makes my xpro1 just pocketable. It's a stretch but for times you want to take a proper camera out without a bag it works. If you wait around there's usually sales that will get them to $200 or so.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

rio posted:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1457621/0?keyword=xt2#13781513

Here ya go.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Thoren posted:

Is this actually true outside of professionals?

I'm just some guy who likes taking pictures of cool stuff. I've never thought, "I need full frame for this."

The worst part is that my Canon aps-c body is completely perfect for everything I need *except* lens selection.

I did this for a while until I realized I was sticking 3.5 lbs of camera in people's faces for slightly sharper corners.

You are pretty much me, sigma and tamaron are doing more for me, and honestly now the main thing I want to do is keep my 7DII only for telephotos and fully switch over to mirrorless for convention and event coverage. The issue is only Fuji seems to have gone full into aps-c, Sony is full FE, and everything else is micro four thirds.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Haha drat that sold quickly. Thanks for the heads up though.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Helen Highwater posted:

Well yes. Because in real reality your wireless connection makes zero difference to the quality of images shot or transferred. That guy is basically the target audience for snake-oil poo poo like hi-fi HDMI cables or those quantum blocks of wood.

I can see where someone could make that leap of logic though as it is true when you're talking about streaming videos.

Sure it doesn't matter here - but if you started from thinking about Youtube videos being poo poo quality when you stream them and assume it applied to all image media then you're not a complete moron.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Ryand-Smith posted:

You are pretty much me, sigma and tamaron are doing more for me, and honestly now the main thing I want to do is keep my 7DII only for telephotos and fully switch over to mirrorless for convention and event coverage. The issue is only Fuji seems to have gone full into aps-c, Sony is full FE, and everything else is micro four thirds.

I'm confused, if your issue with aps-c is that using full frame lenses on it is annoying then why is it an issue that fuji is all in on aps-c and has no full frame lenses? Sure my 90mm f/2 is relatively huge but every other lens I own is half the size of it' full frame equivalent.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've got a local store to set aside a lightly used X-T1 and a new 27mm pancake lens for me. Will inspect, trade my Nikon 28mm and pick it up next weekend.

Thanks thread!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Red_Fred posted:

I've got a local store to set aside a lightly used X-T1 and a new 27mm pancake lens for me. Will inspect, trade my Nikon 28mm and pick it up next weekend.

Thanks thread!

Amazon has cheap 39mm caps for when you invariably lose the fuji one. I use a cheap metal lens hood on mine unless I'm gonna put it in a bag or pocket.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

With the holidays coming up, I'm seriously considering snagging the SP-2 Instax printer for parties and family get-togethers. I realize that this isn't exclusively a mirrorless or Fujifilm thing since it has iOS and Android apps too, but I figured I'd be most likely to get impressions here. I might cross-post in the general thread too just in case. Either way, does anyone have an Instax printer and have any impressions? I like the idea of the rechargeable battery in the SP-2 more than anything over the SP-1, which apparently had difficult to find batteries. Alternatively, I like Zack Arias' system of just using a generic USB power pack with the SP-1.

Edit: Also I can't shake the feeling that the gimmick will get old and the Instax printer will be gathering dust in 3 months.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 29, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

With the holidays coming up, I'm seriously considering snagging the SP-2 Instax printer for parties and family get-togethers. I realize that this isn't exclusively a mirrorless or Fujifilm thing since it has iOS and Android apps too, but I figured I'd be most likely to get impressions here. I might cross-post in the general thread too just in case. Either way, does anyone have an Instax printer and have any impressions? I like the idea of the rechargeable battery in the SP-2 more than anything over the SP-1, which apparently had difficult to find batteries. Alternatively, I like Zack Arias' system of just using a generic USB power pack with the SP-1.

Edit: Also I can't shake the feeling that the gimmick will get old and the Instax printer will be gathering dust in 3 months.

I was about to reply that I would only be interested in the instax printer if I could skip the phone and print directly from my camera, but apparently you can do that which is pretty cool. I would love to hear from anyone here who has experience with it, but I am seeing from internet reviews that the quality isn't that great. But when was the quality of instant film ever really that great to begin with? I would really need to see some prints in real life to make a decision I think, unless I found a place that had an easy return policy. I don't feel like the novelty would wear off but if the quality wasn't good I don't think it would see much use unfortunately. Also, what is the likelyhood that the film used for printing will be available for a long time?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not the Instax, but a few years ago I had the Dell Wasabi (which was a rebranded Polaroid or something), which printed little business card sized photos you could peel the back off of and stick on something. It wasn't wireless; you had to use the camera's direct print feature to print over micro USB. Quality obviously not incredible, but perfectly fine for what it was.

I took it to a hipster bicycle race with my 5D and it was a *massive* hit. F you Dpreview, always bagging on Canon's direct print button. :argh:

I'd buy another one to do the same thing with my Sony gear, but I'd have to go through my phone, which is too much hassle.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have looked at some party printer options, there is also a Canon portable printer, I understand thw overall cost is slightly lower. You have to buy the color carts though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I have an instax printer and I love it. I take it with me when I go to the bar and print pics of people singing karaoke. People love to get those tiny prints.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It's really fun, and the quality on the current generation printers is good.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I have an instax printer and I love it. I take it with me when I go to the bar and print pics of people singing karaoke. People love to get those tiny prints.
Welp, Best Buy had it so I impulse bought one. I'm headed to my little brother's birthday party tomorrow so we'll see how it goes over!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Let us know how the software is - if it's anything like the fuji camera sync app or the desktop sync app, it will disconnect constantly if you're lucky enough to get it to connect at all.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I've given up completely on syncing wirelessly to my computer - I don't know how they failed so bad at making that. I have had consistent luck with the app though on the iPhone even though it is slow, ugly and janky as gently caress.

Please let us know what you think of it - I am on the fence too.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

Let us know how the software is - if it's anything like the fuji camera sync app or the desktop sync app, it will disconnect constantly if you're lucky enough to get it to connect at all.

Printing from the camera is not at all like wirelessly connecting to a phone. Once you are set up to print you just need to turn the printer on and select "instax print" from the playback menu on a photo then it spits out credit card sized art. I have made hundreds of prints and if I had to do it through the phone I'd have killed myself by now.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Ryand-Smith posted:

Get the Canon ef to sony fe adapter and you can even share lenses with your canon?

Bonus point of also getting the nikon adapter too so you can use the goodies from nikon such as the nikon 105mm f1.4 or the 14-24 2.8.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

A man can only survive on Sigma lenses for so long.

Why are those sensor sizes an issue for you?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Thoren posted:

A man can only survive on Sigma lenses for so long.

Why are those sensor sizes an issue for you?

After 1.5 or so years of owning my a7, I have learned I love it for one huge reason. I take a lot of group shots with it. (16-35 F4 is effectively bolted onto it,) and unlike say a 10-18 which is roughly in theory equal to it on aps-c [it's 2.8 I know], the larger sensor size lets me crop more and there is less distortion at the wide end than say my 10 has. Micro four thirds is even worse at these wide lengths according to research, and I have determined based on my shooting patterns that these are a huge factor for my shooting.

The adaptor thing is something I was seriously thinking about when I do get an a7II sometime next year (the MC-11 is only 300 or so and I can live with aps-c mode and use an older 70-200 or get an 85 prime).

The 7D II is still amazing for air shows because of its high speed performance, battery life and high speed autofocus so that will still be my ideal camera for that, but weight is a concern for traveling [and size!]

Also I may be wrong on this but can micro four thirds produce bokeh and other low aperture effects like aps-c and full frame can? I will 100% admit to being wrong but I read it could not (and when I used several friends micro four thirds cameras they felt like.. toys. I mean they were too small and plasticity which I could not stand.)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

Uhh maybe I am interpreting this wrong but doesn't the AE-1 work this way?

Well I'll be damned, the lenses for the AE-1(P) did have a way to initiate shutter priority by simply turning to the 'A' on the lens. I can't see that there's any way to have aperture priority automation, but yeah, that looks like the closest to how the modern Fujis work that I've seen so far.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

hi fuji thread. Thanks in part to you guys I bought an X100T last year, which I liked so much I just bought an X-T2. I'm selling my X100T in the buy/sell thread.

The system is great. I plan to sell off most of my canon full frame gear and build out a system based on fuji. One thing I noticed that's irritating is that apparently you have to have an Amazon seller Pro account to sell Fuji gear on Amazon. I'd been selling stuff there all the time as I wanted to get rid of unused gear. I guess I won't be able to do that anymore with my fuji stuff.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Well I'll be damned, the lenses for the AE-1(P) did have a way to initiate shutter priority by simply turning to the 'A' on the lens. I can't see that there's any way to have aperture priority automation, but yeah, that looks like the closest to how the modern Fujis work that I've seen so far.

it's because those cameras don't support aperture priority (the AE-1 & AE-1P) - only shutter prio in the former, and shutter + program in the latter. You need the A-1 for aperture priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

timrenzi574 posted:

it's because those cameras don't support aperture priority (the AE-1 & AE-1P) - only shutter prio in the former, and shutter + program in the latter. You need the A-1 for aperture priority.

This makes me excited about getting the X-T1 as I used to use the AE-1P. To me the modern system of changing the wheel to aperture or shutter priority then choosing your setting is clunky. Or maybe that was just how my old D80 used to do it? I think the two selection wheels would be opposites depending on what priority you were in which is bizarre.