Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Is Flash still Venom or did that finally end?

Also man, I finally got around to finishing Vision and man was that depressing. Well done but depressing.

It ended but it ended with Flash still being Venom, he's just back in Philly and no longer being in space. He didn't lose the symbiote or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I guess we'll have to change the thread title since we're back to NOW.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

It ended but it ended with Flash still being Venom, he's just back in Philly and no longer being in space. He didn't lose the symbiote or anything.

I hope the symbiote remains with him. Bonding it with Flash is one of the best ideas about symbiotes they've ever had.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

I hope the symbiote remains with him. Bonding it with Flash is one of the best ideas about symbiotes they've ever had.

Yeah i found the space knight story itself kinda meh but venomflash the character i really dig

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Flash's character will always be the absolute best any storyline can get out of Venom without huge changes and I hope they stick to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Flash's character will always be the absolute best any storyline can get out of Venom without huge changes and I hope they stick to it.

The reverse is also true, Venom getting the most out of Flash, which is why I think it was such a great pairing. It physically rehabs Flash in a way that isn't a cheap magical hand wave, it fulfills his Spider-Man/hero envy, and it utilizes his military background in a way other than making him a sad sack vet. They had basically turned him into mid-movie Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump. I remember reading the comic where he was framed for the accident and crippled, thinking they may as well have just killed him.

Edit: Wait, conflating two different events here. I meant framed for accident and left comatose. Losing his legs came later.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

The reverse is also true, Venom getting the most out of Flash, which is why I think it was such a great pairing. It physically rehabs Flash in a way that isn't a cheap magical hand wave, it fulfills his Spider-Man/hero envy, and it utilizes his military background in a way other than making him a sad sack vet. They had basically turned him into mid-movie Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump. I remember reading the comic where he was framed for the accident and crippled, thinking they may as well have just killed him.

Did Flash have a military background prior to being paired with Venom?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is there a X-men thread or would that be here?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Did Flash have a military background prior to being paired with Venom?

He went to and came back from war in the Gwen Stacy era. It's where he met/rescued Sha Shan, his wife.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

He went to and came back from war in the Gwen Stacy era. It's where he met/rescued Sha Shan, his wife.

Gotcha, I guess I never cared enough about him to pay attention to that,

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Military experience is also what they used to transition Flash from a huge piece of poo poo to a well-rounded guy and genuine friend of Peter's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you want Venom as a hero (even a kind of hosed up hero) then I genuinely think Flash Thompson is the best choice for it. He's a genuinely strong reflection of Peter in a lot of ways, so I'm glad to hear it,

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spider-Man: Blue had Flash's party before he was shipped out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spider-Man: Blue had Flash's party before he was shipped out.

Yet another example of Jeph Loeb just redoing something better writers did.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

If you want Venom as a hero (even a kind of hosed up hero) then I genuinely think Flash Thompson is the best choice for it. He's a genuinely strong reflection of Peter in a lot of ways, so I'm glad to hear it,

Yea if you want Venom as any sort of non-bad guy role, and I sure fuckin do, you're not going to find much better venue to do it then keeping him with Flash. It's either that or regress him back to the goopy black jerkoff that Spider-Man tussles with.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
+1 for this month's Ms Marvel should have been a multi-issue arc, because it was good and sort of Ms Marvel story I want in her solo series. She's in enough other books/teams now to have other types of stories elsewhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of Venom hosts, I thought Anti-Venom was a great direction for Brock. He's been a deranged do-gooder for so long that making him a twisted white knight was a cool idea. Gave Brock new potential. Oh well...

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ub posted:

+1 for this month's Ms Marvel should have been a multi-issue arc, because it was good and sort of Ms Marvel story I want in her solo series. She's in enough other books/teams now to have other types of stories elsewhere.

It seems like it wrapped up a bit suddenly, but at the same time, it feels like they plan to revisit it sometime in the future.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Red Dagger will almost certainly reappear.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

ub posted:

Yeah, that was a really interesting story except that it skips like 28 days of it. It's just so... odd.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I guess we'll have to change the thread title since we're back to NOW.

All NOW All Different

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

NOW That's What I Call Comics!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

NOW Nothing Will Ever Be the Same Again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still waiting for Marvel to do a one month time jump where they publish stories "from the future" and call it Marvel LATER.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'm still waiting for Marvel to do a one month time jump where they publish stories "from the future" and call it Marvel LATER.

Careful what you wish for, that's how you get Future's End.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Chelsea Cain, the writer of Mockingbird, just deleted her Twitter account after a wave of shitheads begun harassing her after Mockingbird #8 came out.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

OhFunny posted:

Chelsea Cain, the writer of Mockingbird, just deleted her Twitter account after a wave of shitheads begun harassing her after Mockingbird #8 came out.

Aww. :( She sure didn't deserve that. Stupid assholes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yo. The Miraclelman reprints are 50% off in Comixology's Max sale.
https://www.comixology.com/MAX-Linewide-Sale/page/12856?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Marvel THEN - an event by Chris Claremont and John Byrne.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

OhFunny posted:

gently caress those idiots. Mockingbird was the most fun comic I read this year, and this was a pretty good year in general comics-wise (sucked pretty hard otherwise).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
On a good note, a poo poo ton of people came out in support of Cain.

I guess we need to put trigger warnings on comics that say "Trigger warning if you're a giant shithead this will make you angry and threaten women with rape and murder".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TwoPair posted:

Careful what you wish for, that's how you get Future's End.

Or 52 and one year later. It is a 50/50 shot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really don't know what was objectionable about Mockingbird #8. Are idiot MRAs just angry about her shirt? Shouldn't they be applauding Marvel quietly washing away her rape?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

On a good note, a poo poo ton of people came out in support of Cain.

I guess we need to put trigger warnings on comics that say "Trigger warning if you're a giant shithead this will make you angry and threaten women with rape and murder".

Have you seen the cover? They did. None of those people are actually reading Mockingbird.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Don't even care about Mockingbird, but that's a monumentally lovely thing for them to do.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Endless Mike posted:

I really don't know what was objectionable about Mockingbird #8. Are idiot MRAs just angry about her shirt? Shouldn't they be applauding Marvel quietly washing away her rape?

Literally just the presence of the word "feminist" and nothing else.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Mockingbird Vol. 1 (print) has hit #1, digital hit #3, and Volume 2 hit #5 on Amazon's book rankings.

Good job selling more copies twitter haters :parrot:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Excellent

It may have started from an entirely negative space but I'm glad the book is finally getting the attention that it deserved in the first place

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Is this in line with Omega Men with regards to a potential series resurrection? (Or am I comparing Marvel apples to DC oranges?)

Also, is it really ever a good idea cancelling a series before the first trade is on sale in this climate? As far as we could ever know without complete sales data of course, but I'm wondering if anyone with a better understanding of the market has any insight or theories. Would the Marvel Now! relaunch timing have impacted Mockingbird? (i.e replace it with something they believe would sell more?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
You know, I think the world would be a better place if a lot more people just deleted their twitter accounts. Leave it to the MRA assholes and white supremacists.

• Locked thread