Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Once, using a save editor, I tried to get the airship on Disc 1.

When I loaded up my game, I found myself staring at the overworld. Staring at Junon. You know the Junon Cannon? Apparently it's got a model that appears on the world map, maybe during a scripted cutscene or whatever, because when I moved the control stick, it separated from its home and began to move. I could not encounter any enemies. I could not open my menu.

I was permanently the Junon Cannon. My save was ruined.

lol

when my brothers and i played FF6 (on the original cartridge where it was called 3), we accidentally activated the weird "sketch invisible monster" glitch while on the floating island, and there was no way we were just going to turn the game off after beating atma weapon or w/e, so we manage to get it running again. we didn't notice until later but we ended up with all kinds of item glitches (we had more than 100 Phoenix Downs somehow, which we only noticed because it said "0" and we could still use them). but the kicker is that we had 99 Illumina blades, the best weapon in the game which also gives you massive amounts of block, so like half of our characters were dual-wielding them with Genji Gloves and basically invincible. the next time we played it, we were like "how did we get all those illuminas?" because it's supposed to be pretty hard to get the one you're allowed to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oddium posted:

i've never played any final fantasy except the three tactics. thank you for reading

FF Tactics is one of the best FFs so that's okay. Advance not so much :cheeky:

FF7 is Akira, FF8 is School Days Anime, FF12 is Star Wars, FF13 is garbage. Thanks for reading.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like 8 and 10 more than they have any right to be liked. 8's major gameplay flaws are that drawing spells from enemies should have been way quicker, there are too many permanently missable things, and there are just a few too many hidden numbers (try figuring out how SeeD rank works without a FAQ), but other than that, it's not a bad game. it just lives in final fantasy 7's shadow and is a little more overtly laden with teen angst.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FF8 makes a lot of bizarre design mistakes in general.

My favorite is that enemies scale to your level, so random encounters aren't any easier at level 80 than they are at level 1 in the same area, but the scaling on bosses is limited. In other words, if you grind to level 50 on disc 1 you can draw busted rear end spells from the enemies and junction them to your stats and oneshot all the bosses, which will then have less HP than normal enemies.

Why the thing that's supposed to be easy scales and the thing that's supposed to be challenging stops scaling? ...?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a mistake on bosses but definitely not on the random encounters, because although their HP and base stats scale slightly, you still mop the floor with them way more than you would earlier if they'd had the same HP, because your junctions are going to be SO MUCH BETTER. the main reason they scale is so that when you hit 20 and 30 as milestones they're not dropping the same garbage spells when you Draw. it's definitely a mistake for the bosses, though, because A) the early ones don't scale at all and B) the ones that do scale don't scale enough to keep up with you. the bigger problem is that combat basically happens before you even go in, when you set your elemental affinities and castable spells. combat is a foregone conclusion based on your stat preparations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

the bigger problem is that combat basically happens before you even go in, when you set your elemental affinities and castable spells. combat is a foregone conclusion based on your stat preparations.

although, honestly, this was a problem in basically every FF game from 4-10. 12, for all its problems, is a little better at making the game more about what you actually do while you're fighting, as opposed to just setting some stuff up and then mashing the action button. (which is ironic because 12 is literally built on setting stuff up ahead of time so that you don't even have to press buttons!!)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I thoroughly enjoy FFX and have played through it numerous times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bicyclops posted:

I like 8 and 10 more than they have any right to be liked. 8's major gameplay flaws are that drawing spells from enemies should have been way quicker, there are too many permanently missable things, and there are just a few too many hidden numbers (try figuring out how SeeD rank works without a FAQ), but other than that, it's not a bad game. it just lives in final fantasy 7's shadow and is a little more overtly laden with teen angst.

I like 8 but I'm willing to admit I'm probaby biased because I played it a tooon as a teenager. It starts out real good with some cool mystery and time travel, but there's no payoff. The end of the story of 8 is a complete, unmitigated disaster. The setting is kinda fun though, an interesting mix of things different from FF7 or FF9.

10 I feel like in a lot of ways is almost a remake of 8. If you swap time travel for alternate universes, its a very similar plot thematically. Big focus on romance and love reaching across boundaries, and mysterious origins. 10 you can tell was their first fully voice acted game, (or mostly voice acted) and that means its rough sometimes (HA HA HA HA HA) but I think 10 deserves a lot more credit than its given. Its really interesting and it plays very well, more like a classic FF than most recent RPGs, but with good features.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the HA HA HA HA HA scene is always singled out but, like, in context, it's supposed to be horribly awkward. it's still bad, but it's not nearly as bad as stuff like "How could you? How COULD YOU?! SHE WAS LIKE A SISTER TO YOU?" which is badly directed. also, if they had removed literally all of Tidus's narration, it would have improved the writing enormously. it's some of the worst stuff in terms of the acting and every single explanation he gives is completely unnecessary. you learn everything through the action and the characters talking together, there's no need to have the protagonist, who is unskilled with words, interject with narration throughout.

FFX's problem was the mini-games, which somehow managed to be even worse than final fantasy 8's, which is one hell of an accomplishment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ugh, I tried to play Dying Light but they're having some kind of horrible multiplayer Halloween event. Guess I'll lay off it until it's no longer Halloween season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tidus: When I saw that Domino's pizza was marketing their Cinna Stix based on Yuna's Pilgrimage, it made me feel... happy. My old man hadn't even managed to be the spokesperson for cheesy bread. I hoped that we would never see Seymour in an Arby's again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

FFX's problem was the mini-games, which somehow managed to be even worse than final fantasy 8's, which is one hell of an accomplishment.

Don't you talk poo poo about blitzball!

Bicyclops posted:

Tidus: When I saw that Domino's pizza was marketing their Cinna Stix based on Yuna's Pilgrimage, it made me feel... happy. My old man hadn't even managed to be the spokesperson for cheesy bread. I hoped that we would never see Seymour in an Arby's again.

Haha, yeah exactly. You nailed Tidus' insipid narration right there.

Whats really weird is in the beginning of FFX you hear some unnamed 3rd person narrator talking about watching Jecht play games and stuff, but its not Tidus.

Then post-zanarkand you never hear from him again, and the rest of the game Tidus is narrating. :v: (Was that supposed to be a Fayth or something?)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it's some sports announcer

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blitzball is one of the worst! your goalie and defense people basically become useless if you don't use the second half of every game to play catch with them instead of actually playing the game, and the useful rewards from it are randomized and not fully explained. that's to say nothing of the tech learning mechanics, which are more or less as bad as they can possibly be. fire up a game and try to learn Volley Shot with Vilucha sometime.

e: the narrator at the beginning is just a random Zanarkand citizen, so he is literally a figment of someone's imagination, lol

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 28, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just recently watched an LP of FFX and I've already forgotten the stupid plot.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

This is one of the worst things I've ever read

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The plot isn't the worst in the world. It's some basic sci-fi/fantasy tropes as applied to some people's relationships with their parents, with a little bit of criticism for the arms race and religious zealotry thrown in. The execution, mainly through the scene for scene writing and the direction for the voice actors, is what makes everyone cringe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I just recently watched an LP of FFX and I've already forgotten the stupid plot.

Years ago there was a city full of cool technology that got a little crazy from their own hubris and spawned some godzilla monster which rampaged the town. Years and years later the memory of that city lives on through the form of a matrix-like virtual reality crafted in the shared-dreams of certain people who have memories of the city, like Inception. The main character Tidus is effectively an NPC from within this dream reality, who breaks out of the city matrix into the real world, which exists decades after the city was destroyed.

The world is now trapped in a cycle of death and rebirth as this monster, called "sin" (nothing allegorical there) shows up on a rampage attacking mankind's civilization and ruining technology, until a chosen holy person chooses to sacrifice themselves to stop Sin. In order for that to work though someone else has to sacrifice themselves as well, to become the new Sin. This sucks, but its worth doing because Sin goes dormant for years and years after somebody else transforms and takes the place of the old Sin, so it buys the people several years of peace and calm. But its also very bleak.

Tidus joins Yuna, who is on a life's quest to become that person who sacrifices themselves to save the entire planet, albeit temporarily. Her father was the last person to do so, and Tidus' father was the last person to help him do so, and actually became the new Sin, the current one.

You travel around with Yuna collecting spirit-animals so she'll have the power to do what needs to be done to recycle Sin. Along the way you find some cool twists, like Tidus' mentor Auron who was a friend of his father is actually dead, having died serving with Tidus' and Yuna's fathers in the attempt to stop the last Sin. He's a ghost who hasn't moved on to the next plane yet, because he has to see the quest to end Sin all the way before his spirit can rest.

In the end its revealed that the very people who are keeping the city Zanarkand alive through their dream-matrix are also keeping Sin alive, so Tidus wakes them up and ends the dream. In doing so Zanarkand the virtual reality matrix is erased from existence, and Tidus being a being from that dream reality is also removed from existence. But in doing so Sin is defeated finally for good, rather than perpetuating the cycle, and Yuna is prevented from having to sacrifice herself.

Its got a good bit of sci-fi mindfuck twists and a pretty tragic ending.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 28, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wouldn't call fighting a ridiculous kaiju dad while metal music plays tragic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nosh..nosh...nosh-talgia. Nosh. Talgia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, the basic set up for it feels a little too Cold War fear cum Matrix but an actual writer and director could have made a decent film out of the plot elements. there's an extent to which FF6 is almost better story-wise because they don't have the technology to try being a film yet. As it is, it has a great Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack, and that "mash one button over and over again and watch your numbers go up" fun we've come to expect from the final fantasy series. i got all of my numbers up to 255 and made the best armor and beat nemesis, and now i probably never will do those things again. thanks, don tonberry, for all the memories.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't call fighting a ridiculous kaiju dad while metal music plays tragic.

No, but Erasing your own existence, as well as your entire hometown, in order to save your girlfriend's life, is pretty tragic.

Then they had to go and mess it all up with FFX-2 Which hinted that Tidus was still alive, but then you beat the game and its just some other guy. Unless you get a perfect ending, then its Tidus! Hurray! Retcon everything, at least Yuna and Tidus get to live happily ever after :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Like, the basic set up for it feels a little too Cold War fear cum Matrix but an actual writer and director could have made a decent film out of the plot elements. there's an extent to which FF6 is almost better story-wise because they don't have the technology to try being a film yet. As it is, it has a great Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack, and that "mash one button over and over again and watch your numbers go up" fun we've come to expect from the final fantasy series. i got all of my numbers up to 255 and made the best armor and beat nemesis, and now i probably never will do those things again. thanks, don tonberry, for all the memories.

FF6 feels better because you have lots of gaps left by the technology which your brain can fill in, like reading a book.

FF10 is more like watching a movie, everything is presented for you with detailed visuals so there's nothing to add with your own imagination. But its a pretty good story and its got some creative environments and characters and moments. Fun stuff.

But as people always say, "The book was better!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fake Tidus died kicking an exploding blitzball

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tidus confronting his dad, in terms of the pure story elements of having an alcoholic rear end in a top hat dad who reformed and regretted what he did to his son but never got to show him, with the son sort of realizing by following in his footsteps, is something that has a lot to work with within the context of a culture whose obsession with tradition and legacy is leading to their stagnation, requiring somebody to break to spiral. the actual presentation, though. oh well.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
You think Wakka is still casually racist after the end of X-2? Like he'll try and crack a joke he thinks is funny but it's actually inconsiderate to the Al Bhed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like, two young adults who have to struggle with the legacy of their fathers, one who hates his dad and realizes he has to become somewhat like him, and one who loves her dad and must break from him, that is a good character study for the world story, which is pretty typically japan (bevelle definitely used some kind of nuclear bomb on zanarkand, and the revenge is some kind of twisted, luddite nationalism in which the Tolkienesque "nature v. technology" thing has become more sci fi and less fantasy). video game makers are very bad at stuff like writing dialogue, directing voice actors, and cinematography, though, plus this an story that somehow has to appeal to a widely international audience in multiple languages, so the scene for scene stuff is embarrassing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You think Wakka is still casually racist after the end of X-2? Like he'll try and crack a joke he thinks is funny but it's actually inconsiderate to the Al Bhed.

Wakka, wearing goggles and wearing a shirt that says "I love Machina!": Happy Halloween, everyone!!

Rikku: Seriously?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

All FF plots are insane but 8 and 10 really go off the rails with the weird poo poo. 8's ending was the loving weirdest though when it implies that the succession of Ultimecia through Edea is a never ending cycle and trying to stop it is a Sisyphean task.

FF1 kept the time shenanigans simple: you go back in time and kill Chaos before he can gently caress anything up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

FF1 kept the time shenanigans simple: you go back in time and kill Chaos before he can gently caress anything up.

Not even FF1 kept it simple: it's a time loop, with the Fiends and Chaos/Garland, sending each other back and forth through time, and beating them makes everyone forget the Light Warriors ever existed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bicyclops posted:

Cold War fear cum Matrix

quoting without context

All this summon talk is making me want to finally finish FF7. Anyone know if the PS4 version is less crashy now?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8 and 10's overall plots are pretty similar, when u think about it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bicyclops posted:

Not even FF1 kept it simple: it's a time loop, with the Fiends and Chaos/Garland, sending each other back and forth through time, and beating them makes everyone forget the Light Warriors ever existed.

I don't really remember that at all but It's been a long time so I guess I forgot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I don't really remember that at all but It's been a long time so I guess I forgot.

As it turns out, it's pretty hard to learn through tiny blue boxes that just say things like "I AM GARLAND, AND I WILL KNOCK YOU ALL DOWN."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

It's literally only introduced immediately before the last boss fight. There's not really any foreshadowing of it at all, they just go "Remember the first boss? He's also the last boss, and also time loops."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuWhSMUSHfA&t=6418s

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bicyclops posted:

As it turns out, it's pretty hard to learn through tiny blue boxes that just say things like "I AM GARLAND, AND I WILL KNOCK YOU ALL DOWN."

I bet Garland was good at bowling

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

8's plot actually is garbage but the execution is verrrrrrry slightly better than FFXs. it's the worst example of final fantasy amensia and it doesn't feel like any of the disparate elements of the plot are trying to cohere together at all. as people have said, the actual world, which is basically Final Fantasy magic college ranks you as military, was fun, but the time travel stuff is kind of annoying and the whole Laguna is Squall's Dad thing feels like... okay? i guess? Am I supposed to feel something about this or...?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bicyclops posted:

like, two young adults who have to struggle with the legacy of their fathers, one who hates his dad and realizes he has to become somewhat like him, and one who loves her dad and must break from him, that is a good character study for the world story, which is pretty typically japan (bevelle definitely used some kind of nuclear bomb on zanarkand, and the revenge is some kind of twisted, luddite nationalism in which the Tolkienesque "nature v. technology" thing has become more sci fi and less fantasy). video game makers are very bad at stuff like writing dialogue, directing voice actors, and cinematography, though, plus this an story that somehow has to appeal to a widely international audience in multiple languages, so the scene for scene stuff is embarrassing.

Tbh the more interesting and worrying recurring theme in Japanese media is "a group of people enter, without their consent, into a system/location/game/etc where the only way to survive or escape is by killing each other".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're all just copying Battle Royale

Which was a commentary on the Japanese school system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Red Bones posted:

Tbh the more interesting and worrying recurring theme in Japanese media is "a group of people enter, without their consent, into a system/location/game/etc where the only way to survive or escape is by killing each other".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5wd-PWw1Q

• Locked thread