Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah he married his wife specifically because of her ice powers. He's basically a villain that just works within the constraints of the system for his personal benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Soon Tsuyu will become too froggy and start doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYKPdNvH800

They are clearly having a very bad time

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Radish posted:

Yeah he married his wife specifically because of her ice powers. He's basically a villain that just works within the constraints of the system for his personal benefit.
He'a pretty much the epitome of the selfish hero Stain hated

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh. I wouldn't say he's a villian. He's an rear end in a top hat but it's possible to be a selfish rear end in a top hat who wants to do good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

Eh. I wouldn't say he's a villian. He's an rear end in a top hat but it's possible to be a selfish rear end in a top hat who wants to do good.

Wanting to do good doesn't make someone not a villain.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I dunno, Endeavor has never seemed that sorry to me for hurting his family... I guess we'll see if that storyline becomes a possibility when we see his reaction to Todo's failure in the coming chapters.

Besides, I get that forgiving one's abusers is important to recovery, but what happened in the exam really has nothing to do with Todo's rear end in a top hat dad. The whole debacle was brought about by Todo's being a cold rear end in a top hat and a sore loser to Yorarashi and then being so myopic in his single-minded pursuit of his goal that he forgot all about it until last chapter. It's sort of a dark inverse of when Todoroki and Deku fought in the tournament: there, Deku got through to him by getting him to focus on how not like Endeavor he really is... while in this instance, Todo completely loses it by Yorarashi screaming at him about how he is like Endeavor ("You have the same eyes!"), and it's only be reflection after Deku's example that he realizes that Windy does have a point. So Todo realizes that he has to change, but you don't go to a training camp to learn to be less of an rear end in a top hat, you just stop being so much of an rear end in a top hat... and that's where I'm hoping any future development of Todo's will go.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Dexo posted:

Endeavor seems to only want to be number 1, doing "good" is just a side effect of the job

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The one person who needs to worry most about becoming the next Endeavor is Bakugou.

Being able to cooperate a bit and making a friend doesn't mean his path is significantly deviated from Endeavor's. It's too bad he never thinks back to hearing Shouto's story.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Endeavour is a bad guy who does good things for the wrong reasons.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I don't think he wants to do "good" he's just done the calculations and the benefits to working as a high level superhero sanctioned by the government (and all the money and fame that entails) is much, much better than being even a top tier villain that has to live outside the law and most of society until you are eventually taken down. It's possible that he has more motivation we haven't really been shown since most of him is seen through the lens of his abused family but at this point he's really out for himself above everything else. He's not trying to make a great heir to do good works, he's trying to one up All Might by "creating" a more powerful hero than him and his relationship with his son reflects that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Except making a son that can surpass All Might doesn't really help Endeavor himself in any way. If all he wanted was to be #1, whatever the cost, he wouldn't have flipped out when All Might retired. He -IS- #1 now, but it appears to be a hollow achievement for him--which wouldn't be the case if he was just in it for the fame and fortune.

His motivations seem a little complex to me--as in, he has a little bit of a complex.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Wives? I thought the point was that he only had one wife and it was just that only Todo was the one to get the quirk set that Endeavor wanted.

I got the impression that Shouto's mother was one of several... uhh... genetic donors that Endeavour went through to get the perfect combination of quirks.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Radish posted:

Yeah I don't think he wants to do "good" he's just done the calculations and the benefits to working as a high level superhero sanctioned by the government (and all the money and fame that entails) is much, much better than being even a top tier villain that has to live outside the law and most of society until you are eventually taken down. It's possible that he has more motivation we haven't really been shown since most of him is seen through the lens of his abused family but at this point he's really out for himself above everything else. He's not trying to make a great heir to do good works, he's trying to one up All Might by "creating" a more powerful hero than him and his relationship with his son reflects that.

Never mind his weird ideas about legacy, not everyone is actually empathic and nice, lots of people especially executives care more about results.
Endeavor is just another hero, it's just he's doing his work in a more detached, results-focused way.
Where he crosses into disgusting territory is all the abuse towards children and women, and his weird hangups on all might. He's, apart from that, rightly #2

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darth Walrus posted:

I got the impression that Shouto's mother was one of several... uhh... genetic donors that Endeavour went through to get the perfect combination of quirks.

That was my initial impression too, but I'm not certain anymore. Fuyumi and Todoroki definitely share the same mother.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Except making a son that can surpass All Might doesn't really help Endeavor himself in any way. If all he wanted was to be #1, whatever the cost, he wouldn't have flipped out when All Might retired. He -IS- #1 now, but it appears to be a hollow achievement for him--which wouldn't be the case if he was just in it for the fame and fortune.

His motivations seem a little complex to me--as in, he has a little bit of a complex.

it's all just about endeavor's ego, which fame is a part of satisfying even if there's a distinction between the two

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Vengarr posted:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Vengarr posted:

It's not just about just being #1 for him, so much as it's about *claiming the #1 spot*. And if he couldn't surpass All-Might, he'd make a son to do it for him.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Vengarr posted:

Parents pressuring their children for the sake of living vicariously through them are fairly common. And from what I've heard, particularly so in asian families. (Although to be fair what I know comes from chinese people. Might be different with japan)

He is, fundamentally, the idea of that lovely asian parent, turned up to 11. If you've read Assassination Classroom, Nagisa's mom is cut from the same cloth.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Andrast posted:

Wanting to do good doesn't make someone not a villain.

pucci :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like how many characters this panel can be used to describe.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like how many characters this panel can be used to describe.
the fact that most of this mess is due to All Might wanting to be a symbol speaks to the weakness of his strategy. It makes Stain, Shigaraki, etc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

thats a very detailed titan

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fabricated posted:

the fact that most of this mess is due to All Might wanting to be a symbol speaks to the weakness of his strategy. It makes Stain, Shigaraki, etc

To be fair, without this (albeit imperfect) strategy, the bad guys would be dominating instead of nearly stamped out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kyte posted:

Parents pressuring their children for the sake of living vicariously through them are fairly common. And from what I've heard, particularly so in asian families. (Although to be fair what I know comes from chinese people. Might be different with japan)

He is, fundamentally, the idea of that lovely asian parent, turned up to 11. If you've read Assassination Classroom, Nagisa's mom is cut from the same cloth.

It's slightly different, cause Nagisa's mom is living vicariously through Nagisa (because she couldn't achieve whatever her dreams were) while Endeavor is more of the "I am rich and successful and I have given you everything so you better not disappoint me by not being rich and successful" lovely parent. He wants to leave a Top Hero Legacy behind as opposed to a second try.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

It also makes Deku, (the better parts of) Bakugo, and Todoroki as well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It also makes Deku, (the better parts of) Bakugo, and Todoroki as well.

I don't know if it's good that it makes Bakugou, who could easily become Endeavor 2.0 once he realizes how badly One For All is going to make Deku outclass him. Todoroki is damaged goods thanks to his dad being fixated on this symbol.

Deku is a great person who is presently headed down the path of pain and death like All Might because even if he tries to be smarter about it, that form of altruism just doesn't lend itself to a long and happy life. Deku already has and is going to continue to suffer terribly for others physically and mentally because that's just what he does.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 28, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I don't know if it's good that it makes Bakugou, who could easily become Endeavor 2.0 once he realizes how badly One For All is going to make Deku outclass him. Todoroki is damaged goods thanks to his dad being fixated on this symbol.

Deku is a great person who is presently headed down the path of pain and death like All Might because even if he tries to be smarter about it, that form of altruism just doesn't lend itself to a long and happy life. Deku already has and is going to continue to suffer terribly for others physically and mentally because that's just what he does.

All Might inspired Todoroki to actually be a hero rather than be the person his dad wanted him to be. And All Might's influence solely as a symbol changed Bakugou from just an rear end in a top hat with intense anger issues, to an rear end in a top hat with intense anger issues who won't give up against impossible odds and is actually trying to do something vaguely productive with his immense talent.

It goes both ways. As a symbol All Might has influenced the entire goddamn world, he's that central to MHA's world.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

RatHat posted:

Given that Hagakure's quirk is apparently manipulating light she might be able to make illusions and poo poo.

I'm starting to strongly suspect that she is just a nudist.

Think about it: There is no verification of quirks. It's all self-reported. Remember when Deku "changed" his declared quirk? They explained the process. All Hagakure has to say is that she can't make her clothes invisible and nobody is going to second-guess her.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It goes both ways. As a symbol All Might has influenced the entire goddamn world, he's that central to MHA's world.

And that is both his success and his failure, I think. It succeeds because it nominally has created a world in which good society is upheld and people are protected, but in practice has a lot of glaring flaws because of a fundamental misunderstanding of what a "hero" is. To the world, the business ho heroing- of saving lives and beating bad guys- is a business, one which a lot of people enter to be famous and get rich, instead of doing good, and that has led to not the end of criminals but the perpetuation of criminal thought and the movement of Stain, who began his rebellion because he felt that the spirit of the thing was being lost. And All Might, even though he was portrayed as a good and honest man, has also been implied to continue this cycle because he takes it all upon himself to protect everyone, instead of realizing the real gift he had: to inspire. To not only inspire other people to be heroes, but to change that definition into something that anybody could do; after all, we can't all stop a bomb or a runaway train, but we can pick up bottles and return lost property or volunteer at soup kitchens, or just make somebody feel better on a lovely day. That's why it's so important that Deku, the main character, looks and acts as he does; where all the other top heroes project strength and power and danger and majesty, he just exudes... love. Love for heroes and what they do, but also love for the people to be saved, married to that golden-age aw-shucks-I'm-just-a-fella humility that never wavers, and a desire to just help people. He is that next step from All Might's philosophy never took, and it's probably a long way off before he realizes it (almost certainly not until AM is dead), but that's where I fee;l things are going.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I don't think Bakugou has as much in common with Endeavor as some of you seem to.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think any chance of Bakugou being another Endeavor was squashed after the rescue arc. It was kinda great in that it played on a lot of assumptions both readers and other characters had up to that point: that Bakugou was (pardon the pun) a loose cannon, and would eventually turn to villainy.

Bakugou is committed to being a hero, and it doesn't matter how the world feels about it. You can hate him, you can love him, but god dammit he is going to save the day. If Endeavor has a complex about being 2nd, Bakugou has a complex about being a hero.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm starting to strongly suspect that she is just a nudist.

Think about it: There is no verification of quirks. It's all self-reported. Remember when Deku "changed" his declared quirk? They explained the process. All Hagakure has to say is that she can't make her clothes invisible and nobody is going to second-guess her.

Speaking of nudists, where did shapeshifting girl go?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
One of the major differences between Endeavor and Bakugou is how they're perceived by the public. Bakugou is an aggressive jerk to everyone, no matter who it is. He's openly called out All Might and several others, he made a big declaration of victory at the sports festival, and everyone comments on it and realizes that he's a loud, obnoxious rear end.

Endeavor on the other hand doesn't seem to be perceived as any different from your average hero. At least if he is, I don't remember seeing it. The only people who really know that he's a lovely scumbag of a person are those who know him personally or spend a lot of time with him professionally. He puts out the image of a strong, serious hero, and to his credit, he's absolutely good at what he does. But also he's secretly a gigantic piece of poo poo. Bakugou ain't hiding anything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou is absolutely Midoriya's Endeavor. It's just that Bakugou's arc is going to be him avoiding the pitfalls that claimed Endeavor's sanity and decency.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Eej posted:

It's slightly different, cause Nagisa's mom is living vicariously through Nagisa (because she couldn't achieve whatever her dreams were) while Endeavor is more of the "I am rich and successful and I have given you everything so you better not disappoint me by not being rich and successful" lovely parent. He wants to leave a Top Hero Legacy behind as opposed to a second try.

Way I read it Endeavor failed to reach the #1 spot so he's grooming Todoroki to do it in his stead. That's why the whole eugenics thing. He's trying to create a successor that can achieve what he couldn't.

I admit I may be misremembering his motives.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I think any chance of Bakugou being another Endeavor was squashed after the rescue arc. It was kinda great in that it played on a lot of assumptions both readers and other characters had up to that point: that Bakugou was (pardon the pun) a loose cannon, and would eventually turn to villainy.

Bakugou is committed to being a hero, and it doesn't matter how the world feels about it. You can hate him, you can love him, but god dammit he is going to save the day. If Endeavor has a complex about being 2nd, Bakugou has a complex about being a hero.

Sure I guess, but Bakugou also has a complex about Deku being better than him. Like being 2nd is not something I think Bakugou would obsess over like Endeavor does (he'd just be mad), but if he was 2nd to Deku then hell yeah he would. No question.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kyte posted:

Way I read it Endeavor failed to reach the #1 spot so he's grooming Todoroki to do it in his stead. That's why the whole eugenics thing. He's trying to create a successor that can achieve what he couldn't.

I admit I may be misremembering his motives.

This is pretty much it, yeah. Except Endeavor fundamentally failed in that his son was sort of inspired by All Might to be a hero.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sure I guess, but Bakugou also has a complex about Deku being better than him. Like being 2nd is not something I think Bakugou would obsess over like Endeavor does (he'd just be mad), but if he was 2nd to Deku then hell yeah he would. No question.

I think he especially doesn't like the *idea* of Deku becoming stronger than him, because Deku was, to him, a deku. And if a loser he dunked on can just become super strong then anyone can potentially be better than him. The series hasn't gotten super into it yet, but society created an unhealthy fixation on people with powerful quirks which is a big part of the complex he has. Also, dude just has anger issues.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly, regarding Endeavour, unless All Might was making his life hell prior (and, frankly, I find that unlikely) I really couldn't care.
You don't allow things to get to the point where your wife has a mental breakdown and scalds your kid.

Fucker deserves to stew in his ill gotten #1 place.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly, regarding Endeavour, unless All Might was making his life hell prior (and, frankly, I find that unlikely) I really couldn't care.
You don't allow things to get to the point where your wife has a mental breakdown and scalds your kid.

Fucker deserves to stew in his ill gotten #1 place.

He'll forever have to know that he's only got the #1 spot because All Might was too much of a hero to keep it. He's always going to be the #2, and everyone knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Happy Halloween from Horikoshi

Predator is Iida