Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ill probably pick the owl in my second playthrough though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

DARKEST LARIATS.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean cool as gently caress (and also cute af earlier on) is a good argument! Just wanted to make sure people had realistic expectations for ghost owl, because it's cool but kind of squishy.

get this; people have soloed the game with farfetched, the ghost owl will be fine

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

mandatory lesbian posted:

get this; people have soloed the game with farfetched, the ghost owl will be fine

Sun and Moon goes back to scaling exp, which is a little concerning there. Made solo runs annoying in Gen V (though not impossible.)

Post-game grinding is gonna be a massive pain with that in effect. Not really sure why they thought it was a good idea to bring that back.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

yo but get a load of the look on this small child's face as she sentences a Probopass to execution

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dr. Fetus posted:

Post-game grinding is gonna be a massive pain with that in effect. Not really sure why they thought it was a good idea to bring that back.
Because it helps bring low-leveled dudes up to speed quickly, and you don't really notice the effect on higher-leveled dudes?

Disclaimer: I'm not in the habit of grinding mons to Lv.100 for shits and giggles.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

exp scaling is v good for new dudes you pick up in the late game or if there's a large chunk of the game where one or two members of your team don't see much use and I don't really know why anyone would think it's a bad thing!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sun and Moon goes back to scaling exp, which is a little concerning there. Made solo runs annoying in Gen V (though not impossible.)

exp scaling is good, sorry you have a broken brain

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
It's also not really a big deal since most online battles auto level to 50 now. So you don't have to level something to 100 top able top use it online, just to 50.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, for realsies?? oh god yes, depending on the balance this could be the whole having your cake and eating it deal with your pokemon growing at a normalized rate but overleveling being essentially stopped.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Dr. Fetus posted:

Offensive wise, it shouldn't do too bad in the coverage department at least. Ghost is a very good attacking type right now, what with only 1 type resisting it, and 1 type immune to it.

I just hope the Alolan starters aren't as bad as the Unova ones. Those actually felt like they fell off as the game went on, and near the end of the campaign I was heavily tempted to bench them because they weren't doing as much work as the other mons I could get.

I don't use Unova starters in my Gen V game runs anymore. Emboar is boring and slow, Samurott has some fun moves but I don't really like the way it looks (and it's just Water type, eeeeugh), and Serperior...I found Snivy only slightly less challenging to use than Chikorita in the Gen II games, so it never got to Serperior before being ditched. Even when I did a grass type run. I replaced it with a Maractus bred with Wood Hammer. Worked out way better.

Just from how these starters look and their typings, I suspect they'll all be usable. Grass/Flying with actual good stats and level-up moves will probably be decent, and then Grass/Ghost will be mostly excellent. Incineroar will easily outclass the only others of its type, the Houndour line, but prior to that Litten/Torracat might be a bit limited by being quadrupedal. The Popplio line will be good from the get-go, but will get crazy good upon final evolution. I think Primarina will probably see competitive use, even.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

It's also not really a big deal since most online battles auto level to 50 now. So you don't have to level something to 100 top able top use it online, just to 50.

You do have a point there. I liked that it's easier for underleveled mons to play catch up more easily. The other aspect of it was what I was mainly not a fan of. As long as they don't lock the better moves for a mon at too high of a level, it should be fine.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

exp share already made it easy to get mons up to speed. i dont like the level scaling because i hate beating up something and getting the equivalent of 1 exp.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i also don't like hunting audino

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

PSWII60 posted:

God help you if they still have mons that learn stuff at 70+ that you can't tutor and actually want to learn, though. (They seem to learn this is lovely with every remake and then promptly "forget" this fact with every new gen.)

LAY-ZX posted:

yo but get a load of the look on this small child's face as she sentences a Probopass to execution

I am not going to lie, the way this fist pound is performed with relish disturbs me slightly. Someone stop Moon this girl is on a rampage

Spatula City posted:

Just from how these starters look and their typings, I suspect they'll all be usable. Grass/Flying with actual good stats and level-up moves will probably be decent, and then Grass/Ghost will be mostly excellent. Incineroar will easily outclass the only others of its type, the Houndour line, but prior to that Litten/Torracat might be a bit limited by being quadrupedal. The Popplio line will be good from the get-go, but will get crazy good upon final evolution. I think Primarina will probably see competitive use, even.

If the speculated movesets for Primarina are even remotely right, then yes it is going to be competitive because it's going to be a brick house in the shape of a mermaid. If it really does get Draining Kiss, it'll probably be harder to kill than Sylveon, which is terrifying.

Even so, I'm tempted to start owl myself because owls are cute and ghost sniper owls are cool. Tho frankly I want all three starters and I will probably be begging for them shamelessly come the 18th.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

As long as they don't lock the better moves for a mon at too high of a level, it should be fine.

Hopefully they do the same thing gen six did, where a lot of things' highest-level moves are also in their "base" movelist so you can get them from the move relearner.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

exp scaling owns

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Not that I doubt this, but where was it revealed that exp scaling is back?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

*pops level 60 audino and gains 40 levels*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Not that I doubt this, but where was it revealed that exp scaling is back?

the demo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

EXP scaling might make it harder to reach level 100, which is important because a pokemon has to be level 100 to use Hyper Training.

LAY-ZX posted:

it survived

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

id rather jsut beat up a team of 3 blissey

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

SpaceDrake posted:

God help you if they still have mons that learn stuff at 70+ that you can't tutor and actually want to learn, though. (They seem to learn this is lovely with every remake and then promptly "forget" this fact with every new gen.)

God this is stupid. Some like Charizard have the high level moves made into level 1 moves to be relearned. Then other stuff did this and it makes no sense.

In other news, the newest suspect ban out of OU is Mega Sableye. Not because it's too good, or can't be checked, or countered, or is over centralizing or anything like that. But because it's harder to get up entry hazards with it around and you can't use traditional stall break tactics against it. :rolleyes:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

EXP scaling might make it harder to reach level 100, which is important because a pokemon has to be level 100 to use Hyper Training.

Oh yeah, that's actually gonna be a bit of a problem. I mean if they're actually encouraging leveling up to 100, hopefully there's something that will make that easier?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mega sabyleye is annoying as piss but doesn't deserve to be banned with shadow tag gone

it most likely won't be banned

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SpaceDrake posted:

It's not confirmed by any mining or anything, but there's an ever-increasing suspicion that the UBs are linked in some way to major NPCs throughout the game. So it's very, very unlikely they'll be capturable. They aren't being referred to as Pokemon for likely a very good reason.

Oh I know it isn't confirmed, and I was aware of that, but the datamining also revealed a new type of Pokeball that's kinda fancy looking, and the theory is that it's used to capture the Ultra Beasts. There's no proof it's for the UBs, and there also could be the possibility that you capture them but can't ever use them in battle, it's for story purposes, but even that would bother me a little. I'm hoping the ball isn't actually for the UBs and it serves some other purpose.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh I know it isn't confirmed, and I was aware of that, but the datamining also revealed a new type of Pokeball that's kinda fancy looking, and the theory is that it's used to capture the Ultra Beasts. There's no proof it's for the UBs, and there also could be the possibility that you capture them but can't ever use them in battle, it's for story purposes, but even that would bother me a little. I'm hoping the ball isn't actually for the UBs and it serves some other purpose.

It's got the same sort of grid aesthetic as the teleporting UB01 as well as the gold crests reminiscent of cosmog/solgaleo/lunaala

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpaceDrake posted:

Just remember that grass/ghost is... a bit of an odd typing. It gains a number of defenses (immune to norm/fight, resists ground/grass/water/electric), but also picks up a ton of vulnerabilities (fire/flying/ghost/ice/dark). So in general, the owl is either going to be safe or it's going to be slapped around - opponents are probably going to try to go for its weaknesses wherever possible.

So wait, let me get this straight, either it'll be Okay against it's opponent or it won't and people fighting it are going to try to attack its weaknesses? In a pokemon game? That's pretty unheard of. It sounds very doubtful but thanks for your in-depth, well explained mechanics commentary!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

To me that ball looks more like the box legendaries' pre-evos or whatever those are than the UBs.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So wait, let me get this straight, either it'll be Okay against it's opponent or it won't and people fighting it are going to try to attack its weaknesses? In a pokemon game? That's pretty unheard of. It sounds very doubtful but thanks for your in-depth, well explained mechanics commentary!

What the gently caress kind of scrub uses moves the other guy is weak against? Just Hyper Beam all day.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Or we could pick the burning cat and constantly perform the DARKEST LARIATS.

DARKEST LARIATS is an amazing name. Incineroar the best starter. Now I need to make a full team of wrestle mons. Incineroar, Hawlucha, Machamp, Emboar...who else?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

hariyama and throh

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
We've done this before. Primeape, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan,, Sawk. Now we've covered them all.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Scaled exp is really cool for actually playing through the game, but I'd think it would be easy enough for them to make it so after you clear the game exp can only scale up and not down. There is plenty of reason to want it to scale down while playing through, but no reason at all to want it to scale down after you've cleared the E4.

I'm not saying they'll actually do that, but it'd be a good idea.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

We've done this before. Primeape, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan,, Sawk. Now we've covered them all.

those are shoot fighters come on two of them don't even have fingers

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

DARKEST LARIATS is an amazing name. Incineroar the best starter. Now I need to make a full team of wrestle mons. Incineroar, Hawlucha, Machamp, Emboar...who else?

Snorlax.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

my favorite professional wrestlers are bruce lee and floyd "money" mayweather

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Primeape is gonna be super mad if you tell him hes not allowed to wrestle just because he has boxing gloves for hands!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lucha Pikachu not being in Gen VII is a crime.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dexie posted:

In exchange maybe we'll get surfing pikachu again. It'd be a missed opportunity if they only let the evolved form learn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dexie posted:

Agreed. Bring her in and make her special move the Stunner.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 29, 2016