Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

EDIT: Fair warning. If you are one of those people who hated the final battle in Man of Steel you might want to avoid this movie.

I'd say it avoids the trap Man of Steel fell into, because we already knew the city was hopelessly hosed up as of the start of FFXV, the film just shows how (and it's completely METAL to boot).

And seconding the praise for Luna. She's not a kung-fu superheroine but she still racked up one of the highest body counts in the movie just with quick thinking and improvisation.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

I'd say it avoids the trap Man of Steel fell into, because we already knew the city was hopelessly hosed up as of the start of FFXV, the film just shows how (and it's completely METAL to boot).

And seconding the praise for Luna. She's not a kung-fu superheroine but she still racked up one of the highest body counts in the movie just with quick thinking and improvisation.

I don't think he's talking about how it fits or not in the plot. Just a lot of destruction and mind-numbing action that goes on and on. It felt very tiresome for me after a while, and then it just kept going.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 29, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://rpgmaker.net/games/9051/

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Well, hello. That's one way to spend a weekend.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it's almost certainly terrible

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

it's almost certainly terrible

It's part of the FF7 compilation, c'mon I wasn't born yesterday.

It's almost certainly better than Dirge.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also that's made in rpg maker

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I want to play ff15. I do not want to watch some bad movie or anime episodes to prep for it. Why do you make it seem like this is necessary, square? Why?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Before Crisis is a bad phone game made back when they were still figuring out how to make phone games

It is about as bad as Dirge, but DoC at least has this enjoyable stupid story while Before Crisis is really whatever

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

I want to play ff15. I do not want to watch some bad movie or anime episodes to prep for it. Why do you make it seem like this is necessary, square? Why?

the anime is good

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Elentor posted:

I don't think he's talking about how it fits or not in the plot. Just a lot of destruction and mind-numbing action that goes on and on. It felt very tiresome for me after a while, and then it just kept going.

I was actually talking about the wanton destruction of the city and who knows how many civilian deaths. And in the end, they accomplished very little. But to be fair, the old rulers did say they didn't give a crap about the city, just the country and their legacy as a whole. They reminded me a lot of the Occuria from 12. My personal problem with the last fight is that it was badly shot and directed. Lots of insane stuff going on, but also very hard to follow.

I'm curious to see how they handle Luna in the game. I hope they vindicate her by actually letting her be properly heroic without having some douche protagonist get in her way.

And seconding the recommendation of the anime. It's short and not much happens but it's cute and sets up the story and characters better than the movie does.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 29, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

The movie is garbage and completely skippable.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

the anime is good

Anime is bad, that's beside the point though, if you sell a story heavy game don't divide that story up in to several different mediums.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Anime is bad, that's beside the point though, if you sell a story heavy game don't divide that story up in to several different mediums.

Well good thing they're not? Like so far the other media poo poo is "Expansion on the prologue/poo poo that happens before the game who's exact details aren't important for the game's story" and "SoL poo poo looking at the past of the boy band who are already well established friends by the time the game starts." it's just the typical anthology stuff every JRPG ever made gets that actually isn't important or necessary for the main game but exists for super fans and for SE to milk money out of readily giving wallets.

Might as well as complain about Tales of [Blank] CD radio dramas or that non-canon FFX sequel novel we like to make fun of. They're all equally pointless and dumb.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Final Fantasy games are super anime, congrats on liking anime.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Read a plot summary on the anime and movie. Probably won't actually be important for understanding FF15's plot though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Eh, that really depends on which game. The first five are way more 'low-rent D&D campaign' than 'anime'.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Anime is Japanese animation. These are video games.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well good thing they're not? Like so far the other media poo poo is "Expansion on the prologue/poo poo that happens before the game who's exact details aren't important for the game's story" and "SoL poo poo looking at the past of the boy band who are already well established friends by the time the game starts." it's just the typical anthology stuff every JRPG ever made gets that actually isn't important or necessary for the main game but exists for super fans and for SE to milk money out of readily giving wallets.

Might as well as complain about Tales of [Blank] CD radio dramas or that non-canon FFX sequel novel we like to make fun of. They're all equally pointless and dumb.

I had the impression they were part of the story. If they're just fluff everything is fine and i am content.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Gameplay and interactivity makes a difference.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I liked the movie. Curse you Aaron Paul.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The movie sucks because I'm certain there's no point in it where Aaron Paul's character exclaims, "YEAH, BITCH! MOOGLES!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Why are there so many royal monsters in World of Final Fantasy anyway. Was joking with a friend of mine about how it seems every other monster seems to be ___ Queen ____ Princess ____ King.

Right after saying that I stopped and took a picture because now there's a cute lil Flan Princess. One point Lann starts talking about Mom Bombs when he's surprised- when a giant bomb finally shows up "Oh it's a actual mom bo- "King Bomb"

Was this always a thing with Final Fantasy and I just never noticed?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Flan Princesses and King Bombs are a thing at least. There's also Malboro Kings, Tonberry Kings, Goblin Princes, Sahagin Princes, King Behemoths, and probably more that I'm too lazy to search for right now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here let me explain everything of note in Brotherhood and Kingsglaive. This assumes you have a basic understanding of the game's concept and characters.

Brotherhood: When Noctis was a small child, he was attacked by a daemon, a creature of the night. His caretaker died protecting him, and right about when he was to die, his dad showed up and saved him, casting the daemon off a cliff. This event crippled Noctis, and he ended up in a wheelchair. He was taken to Tenebrae, a calm place where he could heal. Here he met the princess of Tenebrae, Luna, and the two became friends. Tenebrae was later attacked by Niflheim and absorbed into the Empire, and Noctis had to flee and leave Luna behind.

When Prompto was a small child, he was Plumpto. Fatso. Eatstoomucho. His parents worked around to clock so he could have a good life, but it left him lonely. One day, he saved a small dog and took care of it for a while. This dog turned out to be one of Luna's, and when Luna found out about it, she sent a letter to him asking him to be friends with Noctis. Plumpto (who went a bit creeper over the letter and kept smelling it for support because girl perfume!!) tried to ask Noctis to be his friend, but just as he was about to ask, he fell over, and Noctis helped him up, innocently remarking "Wow, you're heavy!" Plumpto had terrible self-confidence and decided he couldn't be Noctis's friend until he got into shape, and so he left Noctis alone and started working out. Once in high school he was the Prompto of today and he reached out to Noctis, saying "Nice to meet you!", to which Noctis answered "I already know you, man", and the two became best friends.

When Gladio was a teenager, he couldn't stand Noctis, thinking he was a lazy rear end in a top hat. He was assigned to be his bodyguard since birth, like his father was for Noctis's, as well as his personal trainer. Gladio has a younger sister named Iris, who one day wanted to meet and play with Noctis. While waiting for him, she spotted a cat and went running after it like a loony, and before long she ended up outside the castle and in the rain, crying. Noctis had seen her run away and went after her, taking her back to the castle. Once there, Noctis took the blame for it, saying he had taken her out of the castle, and is punished for it. Later, Iris tearfully explains to Gladio that she was to blame, shifting Gladio's opinion of Noctis, becoming more of a big-brother figure to him.

When Ignis was a kid... we don't really know. His past is still somewhat unknown, but it's believed that he's an immigrant to Lucis. He was assigned to be Noctis's attendant and caretaker since they were children, something he has taken upon himself with gusto. When Noctis was a teen, he moved out of the castle to live by himself, and he lived as a slovenly teen who had been attended to his whole life did - unwashed dishes and dirty clothes strewn about in his apartment everywhere. Ignis had to come in every week or so and clean up, as well as giving Noctis papers to look over, telling him he needed to shape up. Noctis tried to deny his heritage as a king, because as will be discussed in the Kingsglaive section, the years have not been kind on his dad and Noctis has very complex feelings about the duty of the crown. Nevertheless, Ignis took care of him and Noctis eventually decided, after seeing his sickly father for the first time in a while, to shape up and not have Ignis take care of everything. Also, Ignis is trying to recreate the recipe for a dessert Noctis ate when he was in Tenebrae, remarking that it is never quite right. Since Noctis never knew his mom, Ignis has taken place as a mother-figure to him, telling him to eat his veggies.

Noctis and friends later manage to defeat the daemon that crippled him.

Kingsglaive: The Kingdom of Lucis protects a crystal. The Empire of Niflheim want this crystal, because the crystal is rad magic poo poo, yo. They've been at war for years, and the Empire's superior technology has won them many encounters, and Lucis is on its last lines of defense. Still, the capital city of Insomnia is kept safe thanks to King Regis, who with the power of the royal Lucian line and the Crystal's blessing, has erected a magical Wall around the city, keeping it safe. To help fight off the Nifs, Lucis has employed those whose homes were destroyed by the Empire (i.e. immigrants to the city), and through Regis sharing his powers with them, they can cast magic and Warp. These are the titular Kingsglaive, and the main character of the movie, Nyx, is one of them. There are other characters too but they're not important except for Nyx's best friend Libertus and Captain Drautos, leader of the Kingsglaive.

Keeping the Wall up 24/7 is very very taxing on the King, however, and through the past couple years, he has aged greatly over a short amount of time, requiring a leg-brace and cane to walk (this is why Noctis is so unwilling to educate himself to be king - because while the royal power of the family is keeping the city safe, it does so at the cost of his father's life. He moved out of the castle because he couldn't stand seeing his dad slowly die before his eyes). The Empire decides to send an envoy to the city, the Chancellor of Niflheim, Ardyn Izunia. Ardyn tells them that the Empire is willing to have peace, if Lucis surrounds every surrounding area except the capital, as well as marry off Prince Noctis to Lady Luna. Since the King is on his last legs, he decides to agree with this proposal, and sends Noctis out of the city to meet with Luna in Tenebrae.

Luna, however, was not in Tenebrae, but was sent to Lucis to be part of the peace dealings. Nyx is assigned to be her personal guard. Speaking of the Kingsglaive, however, they are pissed. Several of them feel as if Regis has betrayed them, since he's giving up their homelands to the Empire, and that all the blood they've spilled and sacrifices they've made have been for naught.

Right before the peace proceedings, Luna is kidnapped by the supreme commander of the Niflheim army, Glauca, the same man who lead the assault on Tenebrae ten years prior. Nyx figures out that the Empire has imprisoned her on an imperial airship lying in wait for the Wall to be taken down, and asks Regis to deploy the Kingsglaive to save her.

Once on the airship, Nyx manages to save her, but all hell breaks loose when some of the Kingsglaive decide enough is enough and betray their comrades. poo poo gets real when loving ULTROS turns out to have been on the airship as well. Speaking of hell breaking loose, back in the capital city, the peace talks have broken down and the Nifs and Lucians are staring each other down, ending with the Nif army appearing together with Glauca. The Emperor of Niflheim, Iedolas Aldercapt, and Ardyn manage to take the crystal and flee the city. Regis and Gladio's dad fight together against Glauca, but Glauca overpowers Gladio's dad and kills him.

Nyx and Luna show up on the scene after the airship they were on crashed into the city, just in time to see Glauca cutting off Regis's finger, bearing the Ring of Lucis. Enter stage right, Lord Ravus of Tenebrae, Luna's elder brother, who had long since sided with the Empire. Ravus blamed Regis for the Empire's invasion of Tenebrae and the death of his mother, and puts on the Ring of Lucis, believing it will grant him great powers. Instead it burns his arm off. WHOOPS.

Regis manages to send Glauca reeling, and the three heroes flee. Regis gives Luna the Ring, and tells her to bring it to Noctis, both of them knowing it is extremely important for the fate of the world (Nyx looks on like wtf are these people on??). Regis battles Glauca again, and is finally bested and dies. Insert action sequences and some other character fluff here while Nyx and Luna attempt to flee the city. Another Kingsglaive dude tries on the Ring after Luna tells him "Oh no, you should not put on that ring, it gives ~great power~" and he goes "gently caress yeah, I love power!" and puts on the ring, and catches fire, and also dies.

Captain Drautos shows up to help Nyx and Luna flee, when all of a sudden Libertus (who has had his own subplot about his loyalty to the crown throughout the movie) shows up and loving rams the Captain with his car. Captain Drautos turns out to have been General Glauca all along, and he easily overpowers Nyx. Nyx, in a last ditch effort, tries on the Ring of Lucis, and time stops as he comes face to face with the spirits of the previous Kings of Lucis. The spirits say that they have to test him to see if he's worthy of their power, and Nyx fails, and they burn him. Nyx spits in their faces and tell them that if they're not sharing their power now then Lucis and their royal line will fall. Regis's spirit shows up as well and tells the other spirits that they can trust him. The spirits say okay, but only until the sun rises, after which you're deader than a doornail.

Nyx battles Glauca while Luna and Libertus flee, and things are going okay until the mothertrucking Diamond Weapon, commanded by Niflheim, shows up and lays siege to the city. With the power of the Ring, however, Nyx manages to wake up the Old Wall protecting the city: the Knights of the Round, enormous statues that had been strewn around the city. After a very long, exhausting action sequence, the Knights and Nyx finally manage to defeat Drautos just before the sun rises, and Nyx turns to ash.

Luna and Libertus manage to reach the border, but Libertus stays behind to go find Nyx. Luna leaves the city with the Ring in hand, promising to get it safely to Noctis. The movie ends with Noctis and crew's car breaking down.

*looks up at text* :yikes:

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 29, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
And then they all hosed

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bloodychill posted:

And then they all hosed

I was trying to avoid spoilers!!

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks Terper, feel like I finally understand what is going on now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got more out of that synopsis than I did actually watching the film.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're a hero.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Huxley posted:

Anyone playing WoFF on Vita? My impulse Amazon order got sent to the wrong state for 3-4 days and now I'm debating even opening it. If it's chuggy and slow I'll probably just grab it for PS4 down the line (though I'd really rather play it on Vita if the port is OK).

I've been playing it, it works fine. I'm sad because the day one dlc code that I got is region locked to the Asia psn store where I'm travelling. If anyone wants it pm me or post here and I'll get it to you.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm still kind of annoyed what they did to Crowe in Kingsglaive. She was the best designed character! Even if her VA sucked.

Terper posted:

*looks up at text* :yikes:

What was up with Libertus' storyline? Did he actually give the "resistance" any important information? What were their role in the invasion? That part was really confusing. Like, are we supposed to hate him or did he just plan to stand outside the palace and protest?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 29, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renoistic posted:

I'm still kind of annoyed what they did to Crowe in Kingsglaive. She was the best designed character! Even if her VA sucked.

Yeah for a moment there I thought she'd be the main character.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Anime is just the Japanese word for "Insanely good" so congrats on your hosed up opinions I guess.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

World of Final Fantasy: I'm in the part where you meet Faris, Syldra and Quistis, and want to know, do you get any ability or item that causes Berserk by that point? Asking because of an imprism requirement in a secret area.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Txn posted:

World of Final Fantasy: I'm in the part where you meet Faris, Syldra and Quistis, and want to know, do you get any ability or item that causes Berserk by that point? Asking because of an imprism requirement in a secret area.

I think you can buy that status causing item by that point, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Txn posted:

Buy it from Chocolatte.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Renoistic posted:

What was up with Libertus' storyline? Did he actually give the "resistance" any important information? What were their role in the invasion? That part was really confusing. Like, are we supposed to hate him or did he just plan to stand outside the palace and protest?

I think the main point of that storyline was to show that it wasn't just the Kingsglaive that were unhappy with the decision, but the citizenry. He fed them some information, I guess about where guards would be at what times or whatever. I don't think he ever really wanted to cause any harm, nor thought that they were actually going to do terrorist stuff. Basically it was all done so that he could stumble around all confused, pick up that transceiver, and figure out who Glauca was.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Terper, you went full me right there. Never do that again. All you need to know about FF15 is that it sucks dongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I think you can buy that status causing item by that point, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Buy it from Chocolatte.
Thanks