Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
went to DC for Shellac on Wednesday and was disappointed that Right Proper no longer has the tall, thin, 32oz flip-top growlers with the flamethrower squirrel on the side #bootothat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

went to DC for Shellac on Wednesday and was disappointed that Right Proper no longer has the tall, thin, 32oz flip-top growlers with the flamethrower squirrel on the side #bootothat

So the first thing I read this morning is about something I want but can never have. Thanks, dick.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Got to Other Half at 8am and I'm currently ~400th in line to grab the OH/Trillium collab. Single case limit so should be good but man this line is something.

I should get a different hobby.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jerome Louis posted:

And I know this has been asked a million times in this thread, but I'll be staying in Portland, OR for two weeks... Best bottle shops and beer bars? Absolute must see breweries (with a preference for sours/weird stuff)? I have a rental car so I can do some driving too

Drive to Tillamook and go to de Garde. Otherwise Great Notion, everything in SE (HotD, Cascade, Commons) plus Bailey's, Belmont Station etc there's so much.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Richmond goons, I'm looking to get my hands on trickery and gingerbread ;)

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm hearing about the BA Mexican Cake release coming up. Gotta get details so I can coordinate with a friend.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

graybook posted:

I'm hearing about the BA Mexican Cake release coming up. Gotta get details so I can coordinate with a friend.

it's already up on brownpapertickets; sale starts (and ends immediately) on the second

Captain Duvel posted:

Richmond goons, I'm looking to get my hands on trickery and gingerbread ;)

hopefully i'll be able to get a whole case of Trickery again; i've had a low-fill bottle since last week, but haven't had it yet this year. GBS shows up in regular-rear end grocery stores and gas stations and will be plentiful even though they hosed something up and dumped a bunch. early word was that they were going to split off a lot more for variants, but i don't know if that's what actually happened

danbanana posted:

So the first thing I read this morning is about something I want but can never have. Thanks, dick.

and here i was planning on giving one away to the first person to post something nice about me today

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 29, 2016

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Merkin Muffley posted:

Anyone here going to be at the Shelton Bros festival tonight? If you see a skinny dude with a red beard wearing a grey/blue button up, come say hey! It might be me!

I was there and it was ok. I got to try everything I wanted to try, but the venue was a poo poo show in terms of how they set it up. I love copper and kings, but they had too many people in too small of a space. It's also pretty bush league when some breweries ran out literally within 10 minutes of the doors opening.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Paul Proteus posted:

I was there and it was ok. I got to try everything I wanted to try, but the venue was a poo poo show in terms of how they set it up. I love copper and kings, but they had too many people in too small of a space. It's also pretty bush league when some breweries ran out literally within 10 minutes of the doors opening.

All of that doesn't sound unusual at these types of events, especially specific hype whale breweries running out of beer super fast.

Not releasing a beer list until you show up can sorta help that, but eh :homebrew:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Jerome Louis posted:

Was just in Boston for a week and had lots of lovely east coast style IPAs with a special mention of Lost Nation Mosaic IPA which was insanely vegetal cucumber juice. Celebration was the best beer I had. I also drove 2.5 hours to OEC in the rain and snow and they showed me their amphorae and weird stuff they're burying underground. Was worth it.

And I know this has been asked a million times in this thread, but I'll be staying in Portland, OR for two weeks... Best bottle shops and beer bars? Absolute must see breweries (with a preference for sours/weird stuff)? I have a rental car so I can do some driving too

The best PDX beer reference:
https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-portland-fall-winter-2016-17-update.457121/

When will you be here?

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Paul Proteus posted:

Agreed, I still had a great time and drank a shitton of great beer but it was waaaaaay too small of a space for the number of people there. I spent most of the time in the upper area and it was crowded, but nowhere near the nuts to butts situation in the tent. Im kind of bummed I didn't get weekend passes since even though I missed out on some of my big wants, it was awesome trying out all the international breweries I had never heard of before.

It would have been nice if the wind had stayed blowing -away- from the nearby slaughterhouse the whole time. There was a pretty serious stank there for awhile.

The fiancée and I had a pretty amazing meal at Milkwood after the festival, so if anyone here is hanging around town for the weekend I highly recommend eating there. Get the octopus bacon app, it was stupid tasty.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

I'm literally on the plane right now, will be there until the 13th. Thanks for the info!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Diva Cupcake posted:

Got to Other Half at 8am and I'm currently ~400th in line to grab the OH/Trillium collab. Single case limit so should be good but man this line is something.

I should get a different hobby.

Maybe you could take up the hobby of drinking beer instead of waiting in line!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

danbanana posted:

Por que no los dos?

Drink beer in line for more beer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Look at this nerd.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

No beer is worth waiting in line for. There is too much of a good / fresh selection where I live. I also waited in line for Pliny the Elder a few times. Never again.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :(

I haven't been in some months. I also really need to hit Caboose again and track down some more Ocelot.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :(

I haven't been in some months. I also really need to hit Caboose again and track down some more Ocelot.

stick to draft; everything i've had out of a bottle was loving terrible. also, we went to Pupatella based on a few rabid recommendations and it was merely okay; so bummed that we didn't go to Sunflower, instead

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

it's already up on brownpapertickets; sale starts (and ends immediately) on the second

hopefully i'll be able to get a whole case of Trickery again; i've had a low-fill bottle since last week, but haven't had it yet this year. GBS shows up in regular-rear end grocery stores and gas stations and will be plentiful even though they hosed something up and dumped a bunch. early word was that they were going to split off a lot more for variants, but i don't know if that's what actually happened

why doesn't cake come up when you search for it?

yeah i wasn't sure if gingerbread was distro'd like that or not. Definitely interested in other variants.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm at Hardywood right now. Dudes got in line at 4:30am for Trickery and I just rolled up at 8pm and got my allotment. Nerds are the worst. It's tasting great this year though, as if that actually matters.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My friend is getting married near Manchester, NH. Any recommendations on beers that she should ask the venue to get for the wedding?

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I had a good time at Shelton fest but gently caress that venue sucked. The tent was an awful clusterfuck. Took them til the third session to see the JK line was horseshoe-ing one side to the other three times over and move it upstairs. Also gently caress the Cantillon groupies jerking off at the front of the line when there's fifty more behind them waiting.

Would totally go again if they just had a space three times as big though. Lines weren't bad at all when you could find where they actually ended.

Flunky fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 30, 2016

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Podima posted:

My friend is getting married near Manchester, NH. Any recommendations on beers that she should ask the venue to get for the wedding?

i'm guessing it's not a beernerd crowd- just normal people, right? if so, Allagash White and Smuttynose Old Brown Dog are good choices as they'll cover a wide range of palates, are actually decent, and are probably not too expensive. i also like Tuckerman's Alt and Portsmouth makes a wide range of solid beer

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

obi_ant posted:

No beer is worth waiting in line for. There is too much of a good / fresh selection where I live. I also waited in line for Pliny the Elder a few times. Never again.
Like Whoa is pretty amazing but I wouldn't put it next tier over the Next Episode cans that I picked up from Interboro Brewery like 2 hours later with no wait.

I'd say I'm done with lines but I know there will be a line at Bissell Brothers when I head up to Portland in a couple weeks and I know I'll stand in it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

My friend went to Shelton fest and got corks thrown at him by the Libertine brewing dude :yayclod:

NEEEERD

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Talk about not knowing your audience. Like at all. Shelton fest is nothing but a bunch of beer nerds flying in from all over the country. Still funny though. I'd probably support that brewery just because of this. loving nerds.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

air- posted:

My friend went to Shelton fest and got corks thrown at him by the Libertine brewing dude :yayclod:

NEEEERD

I fully support this effort

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hahaha that owns, Libertine owns

gently caress beer nerds, gently caress your Tasting Notebook (lmao)

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone have thoughts on the cherry wine at the Festival? I picked up a bottle on a whim after reading some of the notes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

air- posted:

NEEEERD

Good, I want to try Libertine now as they seem legit.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

They are. Great beer and the Morro Bay bar is awesome. You can buy a bunch of poo poo online from their website, probably need a CA shipping address though

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Furious Lobster posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the cherry wine at the Festival? I picked up a bottle on a whim after reading some of the notes.

The Frederiskdal what's-it? I had a taste of the "Reserve" (I think, it might have been the other one they were pouring, Mrs. Muffley got bored waiting in the Cantillon/3F lines and wandered off to get some other pours for us) and it was drat good.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

my summer at fat camp posted:

Hahaha that owns, Libertine owns

gently caress beer nerds, gently caress your Tasting Notebook (lmao)

im trying to write here

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Drinking the other can of Never & Again I got and man I am trying to be brave but this beer hurts to drink. The first couple sips feel like it might have a pleasant mango-and-chili-powder thing happening but as you continue it resolves into an awful, persistent chemical burn with each sip. The Veil's Crucial Crucial Aunt Aunt is a waaay better mango DIPA.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I was 95% planning to go a half hour out of the way to hit Libertine in Morro Bay. After reading that entitled shitheel beer dick's whiny post about how awesome the Libertine brewer is, that percentage has doubled. I may spend the whole day there.

gently caress beer nerds. Drink. Talk. Be social. If you forget poo poo who cares? Drink it again.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just had a niece born named Sophia, of Sofie for short. Already bought a couple 4 packs of GI Sofie in anticipation, but she was born early and doing alright. Any other appropriate beers I should pick up?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

swickles posted:

Just had a niece born named Sophia, of Sofie for short. Already bought a couple 4 packs of GI Sofie in anticipation, but she was born early and doing alright. Any other appropriate beers I should pick up?

http://whitestorkco.com/

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
"My first review.
Got it at Far Bar, Little Tokyo, Los Angeles. Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance is a deep golden color. The head wasn't very big: it seemed to dissolve relatively quickly even at my rushed second pour. I didn't notice any fizz/carbonation/bubbles.

Frankly I forgot to smell this one before drinking.

The taste surprised me with a rich, buttery flavor. I could not taste the alcohol, even though it was 7%... it was all flavour. Yet, it didn't taste particularly heavy- it was quite easy to drink while being relatively substantial in flavor. A little bitterness, a little sour, mild carbonation, maybe even a little sweet, but "buttery" is definitely the key word. As it warmed, the flavor seemed to get a little heavier and more bitter. I think I prefer it cooler.

Mouthfeel was relatively light, soft, smooth, refreshing. Not too dry, not too wet, not particularly carbonated.

Overall, maybe it's just my inexperience, but I think this beer is outstanding. I've maybe only once before had a beer with a buttery flavor like this... and it is a very unique thing that I love about this beer. I'll definitely remember this one and come back to it again."

The beer is Niigata Golden Kolsch. The score is a 4.31/5. This person reviewed the beer in 2014 but had registered for BA in 2011. How the gently caress does someone get three years deep into drinking and reviewing beers and just rave about how much diacetyl a beer has? Nevermind, I know the answer. Anyways the beer is loving amber/brownish in color, intensely sweet/molassesy with strong maybe weizenbock-esque spicy yeast finish and a bitter of an acrid burn. My bottle isn't too terrible on the diacetyl, but this beer is so far removed from a Kolsch let alone a "Golden" Kolsch that it's unreal.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

that sounds like the most-flawed beer, which is pretty much the opposite of a kolsch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

funkybottoms posted:

that sounds like the most-flawed beer, which is pretty much the opposite of a kolsch

Yeah it's legitimately awe-inspiring, especially since for the most part Japanese craft beer tends to fit neatly inside of style guidelines even if it is largely a bit boring. We have two breweries near me, and while I am friendly with the owners and brewers of both, neither makes any beer that is particularly exciting. But they do make very fine 90s American Golden Ales and the sort, the kind of beer you'd want to introduce country bumpkins to craft with. In terms of the better breweries like Fujizakura you get some incredibly good wheat beers, both Belgian and German, as well as things like Rauch and Pils done at very high quality. Unsurprisingly almost nobody here likes or knows much about sour beer.

The biggest exceptions are in Tokyo. There's a bar called Watering Hole that is having an OTHER HALF tap takeover this week. Too bad I live 5 hours and 350 dollars away...