Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

To show off the new effect, of course. Never mind it's always been depicted as 3D.

Except in Nemesis, when it shatters like glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
In First Contact when the Borg start tampering with the Enterprise they set the temperature of Main Engineering to like, 40ºC and yet Picard goes to that room with two layers of his uniform and is barely sweating at the end.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pwnstar posted:

These dudes aren't even bothered with seatbelts, they aren't gonna wear some scrub environment suit.

Or strapping down the spine-crushy barrels in the cargo hold.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Except in Nemesis, when it shatters like glass.

You piqued my interest as to when they went from "eh it's just a holoprojection on the front wall" to "viewscreen" and it looks like they changed the set for Insurrection.

First Contact

Insurrection

Nemesis

(and, the hell is with that viewscreen shape?)

...man, I really don't like the Enterprise-E bridge.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also since I'm loving around with screenshots, here's an example of how dogshit terrible the consoles were for Nemesis:

That is some loving fan-film poo poo right there.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also since I'm loving around with screenshots, here's an example of how dogshit terrible the consoles were for Nemesis:

That is some loving fan-film poo poo right there.

Don't forget the iPhone tricorders :rolleye:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

...man, I really don't like the Enterprise-E bridge.

It has no... shape to it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

Don't forget the iPhone tricorders :rolleye:

I believe they were Palm Pilots with some greebles glued to them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today at work we decided to stream TNG to one of our in store tvs and we knocked out 10 episodes of season 1.

Holy crap that was some shaky poo poo.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rhyno posted:

Today at work we decided to stream TNG to one of our in store tvs and we knocked out 10 episodes of season 1.

Holy crap that was some shaky poo poo.

We're incredibly lucky that TNG lasted beyond one season, considering how expensive it was to produce, how uneven the quality was, and all the terrible poo poo going on behind-the-scenes. Hell, I'm amazed anyone kept watching after the one-two punch of The Naked Now and Code of Honor being the second and third episodes in the series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pakled posted:

We're incredibly lucky that TNG lasted beyond one season, considering how expensive it was to produce, how uneven the quality was, and all the terrible poo poo going on behind-the-scenes. Hell, I'm amazed anyone kept watching after the one-two punch of The Naked Now and Code of Honor being the second and third episodes in the series.

After Code of Honor my boss told me he should fire me for putting him through that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You piqued my interest as to when they went from "eh it's just a holoprojection on the front wall" to "viewscreen" and it looks like they changed the set for Insurrection.
Actually the first time I can remember seeing that was in DS9, possibly as a way to greater distinguish how their "bridge" was the ops management for a station rather than a starship. Or possibly as a quirk of spoonhead technology. It's pretty consistent in DS9 though!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Pakled posted:

You know what, I think in this time of bounty we tend to fail to remember just how much TV used to be pretty bland to awful as a rule, and how shows specifically for lovers of genre television were few and far in between. Even my favorite shows of the 90's back have awful episodes or even whole seasons where now I would likely just quit watching. You wanted to like what few scraps were being fed you, and hey sometimes they were even decent to pretty good!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

remusclaw posted:

You know what, I think in this time of bounty we tend to fail to remember just how much TV used to be pretty bland to awful as a rule, and how shows specifically for lovers of genre television were few and far in between. Even my favorite shows of the 90's back have awful episodes or even whole seasons where now I would likely just quit watching. You wanted to like what few scraps were being fed you, and hey sometimes they were even decent to pretty good!

As a kid, I was just fascinated and thrilled to have new Star Trek (and any sci fi in general) on my tv that I happily shoveled up whatever they put out every week. It was always New Ships! New Aliens! New Stories! every week. But I also remember about halfway through the third season saying to my mom (who got me into Star Trek and watched TNG with me) "wow, suddenly this show has gotten really, really good!" It was probably the first time I noticed and saw what "good directing" and "good writing" really meant.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

MikeJF posted:

It has no... shape to it.

Couldn't agree more. Really wanted to like it, but it's just dominated by clutter.

Everyone seems angled towards an empty space in the middle. Everyone is on a different level. Riker and Troi look really awkward. Picard looks lonely. The consoles look tiny and unimportant which seems an odd choice when this set's sole function is to sell this room as the nerve centre of the ship.

Ugh. It's like they had absolutely no vision for how it should look. Nothing looks important, not even the people.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
TNG had a good bridge, kinda reminded me of a stage
and TOS you really got the sense that kirk was the center of the universe

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Starfleet must have great anti-fatigue mat technology. Standing in one spot for even a single hour makes my feet go numb and a whole shift cashiering is a great way to wind up with aching feet. gently caress standing stations. If you're manning a single panel for hours, you should have a chair.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dirty posted:

Ugh. It's like they had absolutely no vision for how it should look. Nothing looks important, not even the people.

What are those banana monoliths supposed to be exactly?

Internal shields? Holoprojectors for the ECH? Surround Sound?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Starfleet must have great anti-fatigue mat technology. Standing in one spot for even a single hour makes my feet go numb and a whole shift cashiering is a great way to wind up with aching feet. gently caress standing stations. If you're manning a single panel for hours, you should have a chair.

They can't, because the Ds9 crew bitched a ton about jem hadar ships having no chairs.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Dirty posted:

Couldn't agree more. Really wanted to like it, but it's just dominated by clutter.

Everyone seems angled towards an empty space in the middle. Everyone is on a different level. Riker and Troi look really awkward. Picard looks lonely. The consoles look tiny and unimportant which seems an odd choice when this set's sole function is to sell this room as the nerve centre of the ship.

it looks like Picard, Riker and Troi are game show contestants. the entire set feels like some kind of Space Who Wants to be a Millionaire

wait no, it's weakest link. Picard swivels his chair around asking people on the outer edges of the bridge questions. cheating in space weakest link is so rampant, Riker and Troi are this week's rotating panel judges.

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 29, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The E bridge looks like it was designed with the purpose of being easily turned into a playset for your action figures. Which is interesting, as a cursory search finds me no evidence that the E ever got one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

remusclaw posted:

The E bridge looks like it was designed with the purpose of being easily turned into a playset for your action figures. Which is interesting, as a cursory search finds me no evidence that the E ever got one.

Considering the figures they released for First Contact were friggin' huge (I think they were almost 7" tall), that would have been one big-rear end playset.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

Considering the figures they released for First Contact were friggin' huge (I think they were almost 7" tall), that would have been one big-rear end playset.

I read that as 7 foot tall at first. Now slightly disappointed I can't have a 1.25x life-size Picard sex toy

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Timby posted:

It's kind of weird they would make them that big, as playsets are kind of a big thing for Star Trek toys, no? Any series where there is a prominent spaceship, kids are gonna want to have something to represent their figures kicking around in it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The E-E's bridge is literally cobbled together from pieces of whatever older bridge sets they had laying around, hence it never gels as a design properly

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Also the Romulan Warbird bridge from Nemesis is the E Bridge redressed after it was trashed to look vaguely Romulan. Still looks like crap but less crowded.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phimosissy posted:

I think they connect to the ceiling , so they're not monoliths but rather awkwardly placed support columns.

I also just realized Picard's chair is like six inches from that step, he must stumble on that thing every time he stands up.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Knormal posted:

I think they connect to the ceiling , so they're not monoliths but rather awkwardly placed support columns.

I also just realized Picard's chair is like six inches from that step, he must stumble on that thing every time he stands up.

Jesus, all those little loving ledges all over the bridge. People likely get hurt all the drat time just walking around the thing, not even taking into account when they get into a fight and get thrown around that fucker.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

remusclaw posted:

Jesus, all those little loving ledges all over the bridge. People likely get hurt all the drat time just walking around the thing, not even taking into account when they get into a fight and get thrown around that fucker.

I'm pretty certain the only Trek bridge that is wheelchair-accessible is the Galaxy class.

Defiant comes a close second but there's a little raised section under the captain's chair.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drone posted:

I'm pretty certain the only Trek bridge that is wheelchair-accessible is the Galaxy class.

Defiant comes a close second but there's a little raised section under the captain's chair.

Just use the transporter, silly goose.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tunicate posted:

Just use the transporter, silly goose.

No, I refuse to use technological solutions to my problems, and will instead be extremely tedious about things.

God, that episode could have kept the same premise and been so much better.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What was the impetus behind the First Contact costumes, anyway? Aside from the TOS pilots they're the most boring Starfleet uniforms in the entire franchise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

What was the impetus behind the First Contact costumes, anyway? Aside from the TOS pilots they're the most boring Starfleet uniforms in the entire franchise.

The Motion Picture's uniforms are pretty goddamn boring, albeit more "sci fi" in a retro Buck Rogers/Lost in Space sort of way. Honestly, the ones I hate and think are dull are the WoK ones.

First Contact makes thinks appropriately 90s dark with the collars bringing just enough a splash of color to keep it interesting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phimosissy posted:

If I am remembering correctly they display red/yellow alert or standard status

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedHate posted:

The Motion Picture's uniforms are pretty goddamn boring, albeit more "sci fi" in a retro Buck Rogers/Lost in Space sort of way. Honestly, the ones I hate and think are dull are the WoK ones.

First Contact makes thinks appropriately 90s dark with the collars bringing just enough a splash of color to keep it interesting.

The color on the FC uniforms almost seems perfunctory though, like they were thinking "uggghhhh the fans will whine at us if we ditch the color altogether, i guess we can make the undershirts have the colors."

Aside from that they're just black jumpsuits with gray shoulders. At least the TMP uniforms had some variety (like at least an attempt at protective gear, and rank braids on the sleeves, and those "belt buckle" biomonitors). The TWOK uniforms might be all red but they at least have flaps and a jacket/pants thing going and some attempt at lines and shapes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The FC uniforms have the a ring of the departmental colour on the cuffs too.

I like the Ent-E bridge, as it changes up the USS Holiday Inn West Palm Beach look finally, but looking at photos, there are way too many steps and levels all over the place. Someone's going to twist their ankle if they're not paying attention all the time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dirty posted:

So many interesting ways to trip on things in this bridge.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That mood lighting underneath the steps just means more sparks and rocks during explosion time. Same goes for those columns.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The color on the FC uniforms almost seems perfunctory though, like they were thinking "uggghhhh the fans will whine at us if we ditch the color altogether, i guess we can make the undershirts have the colors."

Aside from that they're just black jumpsuits with gray shoulders. At least the TMP uniforms had some variety (like at least an attempt at protective gear, and rank braids on the sleeves, and those "belt buckle" biomonitors). The TWOK uniforms might be all red but they at least have flaps and a jacket/pants thing going and some attempt at lines and shapes.

I dunno, I think they fit the dark lighting aesthetic of later DS9 and the TNG movies perfectly. The color might technically be "minimal" but it's in just the right spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

With the E bridge you could probably do a little in universe retcon by saying the odd placement of Troi and Riker is due to an influential former captain of a Galaxy class flagship demanding (and getting) a Galaxy style bridge mod seating arrangement for his First Officer and Counselor despite the fact that the Sovereign class probably had a standard captain's chair layout.