Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It sounds sentimental but what I enjoy about podcasts is often the entire archive is free to peruse. So We have thousands of hours of old Joe, it doesn't matter so much how racist whatever he becomes. Apart from feeling like he's a disappointing son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
There's a charm to the old fleshlight advertisements too.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Pre-Onnit Joe was the best Joe.

I blame trust fund tycoon Aubrey Marcus for everything.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Keg posted:

You mean he topped his "What do you think it would be like if Brock Lesnar raped you" bit from his last special?

I don't think you can top that poo poo, that bit is almost too good

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Luna Was Here posted:

I don't think you can top that poo poo, that bit is almost too good

I hope he talks about airline food in his new special!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Interesting from the point of view of measuring societal trends.

Its like you could measure the spread of the philosophy of, or the development of individual who are classified as "alt-right" on forum boards.

One thing's for sure, this political polarization away from tolerance and understanding is going to get worse.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Interesting from the point of view of measuring societal trends.

Its like you could measure the spread of the philosophy of, or the development of individual who are classified as "alt-right" on forum boards.

One thing's for sure, this political polarization away from tolerance and understanding is going to get worse.

No it isn't, it's going to become increasingly fringe. There's a reason the moderate republicans eventually disowned Trump, the really virulent persecutorial types will not win, the reason they throw cuck around so much is that they are projecting; they are impotent, and Barack Obama took what they consider their woman from them.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Lmao.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RE: new rogan special: I usually am not a fan of his comedy but I was surprised that it wasn't that bad at all. Much better than his last which was just regurgitated talking points from the podcast. I'm not sure why it's titled "triggered" beyond Rogan's predilection towards alt-right shittery, but it was worth it for this:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The monoculture needs to misappropriate a term from MMA. For justice.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I like how according to this thread Rogan has apparently been "alt-right" for years now; A term that gained traction like 6 months ago and means nothing except for "right of my opinion and therefore bad".

Helical Nightmares posted:

The monoculture needs to misappropriate a term from MMA. For justice.

oil check

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Seltzer posted:

I like how according to this thread Rogan has apparently been "alt-right" for years now; A term that gained traction like 6 months ago and means nothing except for "right of my opinion and therefore bad".

oil check

What's oil check?

Edit: People need to bring back the word "meathead".

Rogan is a meathead.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The stand-up special was brilliant! The physical comedy was a surprise, so many gifable moments. Was there somebody booing at that last bit with the stool? Regardless, it seems he really put the work into this special, I hear so much of serious stoner podcast Joe I forget he can actually be supremely funny.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Or Rogan has been heading down that way for 6 years and now there's an en vogue term for it?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ever since Dr. Hillary Rodham Clinton, doctorate of the internet, declared the alt-right were a cyber gang of white nationalist criminals the term stuck for some reason. I thought the alt right were just pissed off libertarians/republicans that knew how to use internet memes but I suppose a 70 year old politician knows better than me about the 'net I guess cause that definition really stuck :frogbon:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Seltzer posted:

Alt right has been around on the internet for a while. They used to be called "nazis" . Now they are teenaged edgelords and middle aged failsons. who are too PC to want to take the helm. It's a shame, really.

Rogan isn't alt-right but he has been right for a while, mostly libertarian-right. He's just better to listen to when he isn't yammering on about that poo poo.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Seltzer posted:

Just because a term is new to you doesn't mean it's new to the world :ssh:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

With the exception of one hysterical moron this thread is usually pretty good about disagreeing like adults imho :cheers:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

Alt right has been around on the internet for a while. They used to be called "nazis" . Now they are teenaged edgelords and middle aged failsons. who are too PC to want to take the helm. It's a shame, really.

Rogan isn't alt-right but he has been right for a while, mostly libertarian-right. He's just better to listen to when he isn't yammering on about that poo poo.

Yeah the whole concept has been floating around for a few years, in no way it has started with Hillary Clinton.

Not to mention it has been several things through the years, only recently it has taken the somewhat cohesive form behind Matt Furie's frogs and other stuff.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 25, 2016

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I always figured Alt Right is the name given to MRA/Gamergate Trolls whenever their tweets show up on CNN

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

Just because a term is new to you doesn't mean it's new to the world :ssh:

I've heard it long before this election and It has been used to mean everything under the sun. Don't pretend however that it didn't become widely used until this election when it became the new boogeyman that is going to ruin america and used to label anyone and anything (including cartoon frogs) racist, nationalist, fascist, ist ist ist etc. for holding any opinion not held by the establishment left.

The terms actual definition states that it's not a formal ideology and is a vague umbrella term and it has only been diluted further by peoples instinct to label anything not "left" alt-right. I find it a rather pointless descriptor especially when it's being used to disparage people by association without evidence.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Or Rogan has been heading down that way for 6 years and now there's an en vogue term for it?

Or he's been the same relatively moderate person and society has gotten more ridiculous and he's now commenting on things now that didn't use to exist before. Also the "en vogue term" is meaningless and stupid.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Seltzer posted:

I've heard it long before this election and It has been used to mean everything under the sun. Don't pretend however that it didn't become widely used until this election when it became the new boogeyman that is going to ruin america and used to label anyone and anything (including cartoon frogs) racist, nationalist, fascist, ist ist ist etc. for holding any opinion not held by the establishment left.

The terms actual definition states that it's not a formal ideology and is a vague umbrella term and it has only been diluted further by peoples instinct to label anything not "left" alt-right. I find it a rather pointless descriptor especially when it's being used to disparage people by association without evidence.

Or he's been the same relatively moderate person and society has gotten more ridiculous and he's now commenting on things now that didn't use to exist before. Also the "en vogue term" is meaningless and stupid.

don't sign ur posts

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

crazy cloud posted:

don't sign ur posts

drat between this and being called a fuckbrained poo poo I don't know how I'll ever recover.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Seltzer posted:

drat between this and being called a fuckbrained poo poo I don't know how I'll ever recover.

eat mushrooms n get in the tank for a few hrs n think about ur life that will help ur recovery process broh

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
No, Pepe the frog is not racist. Yes, if someone is posting Pepe the frog nowadays, they are probably racist, unless they're doing it to comment on the racists.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh definitely, Pepe was unfortunately co-opted by such types and Matt Furie himself is trying to save him.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

total human optimisation

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

We need to end the sadistic perpetuation of the 'anything goes' mentality in comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rikABkMRubw

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

itsnice2bnice posted:

We need to end the sadistic perpetuation of the 'anything goes' mentality in comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rikABkMRubw

Is there some book or online course that teaches incoherence = profundity or what?

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Among the Alex Jones chat someone mentioned that Joe was nearly 50. Made me curious how old Alex Jones is. He's only 42! When I read Jon Ronson's Them and saw the accompanying documentary series I would have thought he was 40 then. And that was written/made in 2000/2001.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Hocus Pocus posted:

Among the Alex Jones chat someone mentioned that Joe was nearly 50. Made me curious how old Alex Jones is. He's only 42! When I read Jon Ronson's Them and saw the accompanying documentary series I would have thought he was 40 then. And that was written/made in 2000/2001.

I guess being a crazy dumbass poo poo mongeror makes you age quicker

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

Quackademics

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No way is loving Alex Jones under 50, gently caress off.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Flying-Chip posted:

Quackademics

Loki2099
Oct 26, 2005
can I be cool too please?

ICHIBAHN posted:

No way is loving Alex Jones under 50, gently caress off.

The conspiracy theory that explains this and worth a YouTube is he is Bill Hicks.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This picture is terrifying. Quality costume.

Joe was on Bill Burr's podcast(Thursday edition). I like when Bill has guests, nice change of pace.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Listening to Joe on Bill Burr's TAMMPC.

Someone needs to sit Joe down and explain the sexual pay gap thing. It gets smaller as you narrow it down to the same job from the workforce in aggregate, but it doesn't disappear.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Joey Diaz is on today, I hope him and joe don't spend too much time comparing comedy to fighting.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I wish people from both sides of the argument actually used talking points that weren't 30 years behind. Yes there is a pay gap, no, it's not always 70 cents to the dollar, it's complicated. So much of the current political climate is due to a serious information deficit and an unwillingness to acknowledge that anyone who tries to give you a 5 second sound bite is never going to get it right.

How the hell do we save ourselves if no one wants to put in the work to actually understand anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

yeah, if we can't even agree to follow simple speed limits, there is no way a democracy with 300 million people functions correctly