Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shazaminator posted:

On the topic of Sons of Horus, what would be the best way to run the contents of the Prospero box as the start of a SoH force? I was thinking running Black Reaving with the marines as two ten-man tac squads and a ten-man Reaver squad, with the non-period-appropriate jump packs GW sell, and the Tartaros with Lightning claws to make the most out of Merciless Fighters. Since Black Reaving lets you take allies I was going to run them as loyalists and ally in the custodes and sisters.

Have you actually bought it yet?

If not I'd say Betrayal at Calth would be the better choice.

You can't use the Custodes and Sisters in your force.

BaC also gives you a bonus Contemptor, a generic Terminator Captain and easily convertable Chaplain.

Plus the Terminators are Cataphractii which is what you need for the awesome Justaerian Terminators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The interesting plates from BoP:

e: timg'd for hugeness

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 28, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I don't care much for the Thousand Sons, but that fluff is awesome. I'm really excited that they're embracing the cults--I that's the best part of the Thousand Sons fluff, and I really like the implication in those plates that line troopers' esoteric allegiances may affect how individual squads play.

What I don't want is "every squad generates a psychic dice and then your HQ choices poo poo out high-impact traditional psyker powers." This sounds like something related, but potentially different, lesser and more independent and localized, in a compelling way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So do the sons have rules for 30k yet?

Burning of Prospero has me finally convinced to invest in building some 30k marines of my own, but I'm kinda confused on the rules situation. Looks like there's nothing for the sons in the forge world books, so I guess you could just play them as generic marines for now?

I would figure Prospero would come with rules for them, but so far all I've seen is that dataslate with the custodes and the sisters. Is there more?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
No, the full rules for Wolves and Thousand Sons plus the Custodes and Sisters of Silence will be in Inferno, due out in February June October February 2017.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

adamantium|wang posted:

No, the full rules for Wolves and Thousand Sons plus the Custodes and Sisters of Silence will be in Inferno, due out in February June October February 2017.

Lame. Well, that gives me plenty of time to paint them all.

Wolves and Sons are the last legions to get rules, right? All the rest are covered now? So that's good at least.

Is there even a way to play 'generic' marines in 30k? I guess I could use them as a 'shattered' legion for now? I guess I'll just play the boxed prospero game until February.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Nope, still have blood Angels, Dark Angels and White Scars to go, although they did get some placeholder rules in the last book.

The book still lets you play one of the unreleased Legions, you just get your pick of Stubborn or Furious Charge for you LA rules. Just paint up what you like the look of and either use them that way for a few more months or run Shattered Legions or Blackshields.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 28, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Portrait:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh poo poo it's Geralt

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If (that's a big IF) I ever get to the point with my Dark Angels that I feel comfortable enough to start a second legion, I'm really considering the Thousand Sons. I'm willing to bet that their rules will be interesting and different enough from the other legions to justify building them. That metallic red FW uses has gone a long way to convincing me as well. I'd love to produce a full army like that. I know about Tamiya clear red, airbrushes, etc., but I've gotten kind of curious about those tints coming out later this month. If it's possible to mix them with metallics... We all screw up occasionally while painting details and that's what gives me pause when it comes to a metallic scheme. I'd be much more likely to take on something like that if I had an easy way to touch things up.

ijyt posted:

Oh poo poo it's Geralt
The White Wolf :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

Oh poo poo it's Geralt

Safety Factor posted:

The White Wolf :v:

:thurman:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren:NEW IRON WARRIORS RELEASE OUT OF NOWHERE:frogsiren:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
In a month the Ultramarine ones will come out cheaper and better

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
They should have only put 15 instead of 16. Or 14 if you round the decimation up. For the price of 16.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 28, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Stop using Bulbasaur's computer

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I thought Iron Warriors poo poo was supposed to have gold stars on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:lol: this got me good

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
New Knight heads. Meh.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Twisted posted:

New Knight heads. Meh.
I kinda like the one with a Zaku mono-eye, the rest are too creepy for my upstanding Imperials to use.

adamantium|wang posted:

In a month the Ultramarine ones will come out cheaper and better

As intended

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've gotten owned so hard on this page, if you look close the IW logos are on the 1s side

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

It's pretty cool that the terminators are interchangeable with other kits.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

DJ Dizzy posted:

Mutton chop termies best termies.

I've gotten into a bit of an argument with a friend over what constitutes a Lord of War choice. He's saying that the War Machine Detachment rule overrules a unit's force organization choice, and forces it to become a Lord of War. So Legion Malcadors and Imperial Cult Gorgons would be forced into the precious LoW choice no matter what, since they are a superheavy. I know he's wrong about this, but is there anything that shows that just because it's superheavy doesn't mean its a Lord of War? (other than the fact that they have their own spot on the FoC that isn't LoW)

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Mutton chop termies best termies.

I've gotten into a bit of an argument with a friend over what constitutes a Lord of War choice. He's saying that the War Machine Detachment rule overrules a unit's force organization choice, and forces it to become a Lord of War. So Legion Malcadors and Imperial Cult Gorgons would be forced into the precious LoW choice no matter what, since they are a superheavy. I know he's wrong about this, but is there anything that shows that just because it's superheavy doesn't mean its a Lord of War? (other than the fact that they have their own spot on the FoC that isn't LoW)

War machine detachments are taken as a lord of war choice, in the case of malcadors and Gorgons they are heavy support and DT respectively, they do not take up the slot.
If you look in the red book in the lord of war section it explains it, primarchs, great beasts, mighty fortifications, monstrous horde, war machine detachments, and orbital strike wing are what you can take with the slot, the reason they break it up is because of points with price of failure.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 28, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Well, for starters, Malcadors are heavy support choices. This same red book has a list of all the LOW choices you can bring. It's not mutually exclusive and a war machine detachment is 1-3 vehicles called of specifically in the list. Taking just one as a HS does not make it a LOW

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

OK, thanks. I was 90% sure that's how it worked, and my friend is just misinterpreting thighs.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hmm, I'm totally going to see if the DA helmets will fit. Do you have to put in the heads/helmets as you put together the torsos or can you pop them in after the fact?

my friend is just misinterpreting thighs.
:heysexy:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Hmm, I'm totally going to see if the DA helmets will fit. Do you have to put in the heads/helmets as you put together the torsos or can you pop them in after the fact?

The top part of the helmet is actually a seperate piece.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

OK, thanks. I was 90% sure that's how it worked, and my friend is just misinterpreting thighs.

you can take a Navy Reserve Strike Wing of fighter jets as a Lord of War choice but that doesn't stop them from being Fast Attack or whatever if taken normally.

edit: Sorry, that's a "sub-orbital" strike wing,

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 29, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So the Vultarax comes with a flare shield. Flare shields reduce the strength of shooting attacks from the front armor facing.

What's the front armor facing on a flying monstrous creature?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The front 90 degrees of the model

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
please do not doubt how horribly pedantic people will be

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I dug out an old school protractor for the purpose of ending pedantic nerd slapfights about firing archs on vehicles.

Immediately had someone claim my protractor was inaccurate, accused me of trying to cheat him out of an extra heavy bolter snapshot :negative:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

I dug out an old school protractor for the purpose of ending pedantic nerd slapfights about firing archs on vehicles.

Immediately had someone claim my protractor was inaccurate, accused me of trying to cheat him out of an extra heavy bolter snapshot :negative:

chaos reigns

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Forgeworld is making terrible jokes again!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Well.... were you?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm pretty sure the front-mounted Heavy Bolter on a Chimera can't shoot things that are literally clawing at it's side armour.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Thats just because you are inaccurate and you hate fun.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

FW selling loaded dice to Iron Warriors players is an interesting way to apologize.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Which weapon option is best for Sisters of Silence supporting Knights? Bolters, right? They don't seem like a unit I want within assault range of Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

moths posted:

Which weapon option is best for Sisters of Silence supporting Knights? Bolters, right? They don't seem like a unit I want within assault range of Marines.

We dont know their rules.