Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Perestroika posted:

:psyduck: Your state/country is weird.

nah I've been in retail for a decade and shoplifters bring in big bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AlmightyBob posted:

nah I've been in retail for a decade and shoplifters bring in big bags

Shoplifting hack.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Filox posted:

Call your local stores and see if any will let you have some empty freight boxes. A lot stores are willing, you don't have to buy anything, just pick them up and corrugated cardboard makes great tinder. One shopping cart full of flattened boxes is a hell of a lot of tinder.

Due to being a man child with more money than impulse control I have a never ending supply of Amazon shipping boxes. But, I much prefer paper shopping bags to corrugated cardboard for my fire starting needs.

Here's a woodstove life hack for you; Are you lazy and hung over? Did you not get up at 5 AM to throw another log on? If you need to get that fire going quick without a lot of grief, use 2 to 3 self lighting charcoal briquettes. Probably not enough carbon monoxide to kill you, but with a hangover like this, the sweet release of death might be just what you need.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

experienceBeej posted:

I only carry one-half of a tennis ball in my EDC, from when I cut a tennis ball in half to open a car door. Any idea where I can get a second half?

Manufacture half a tennis ball by melting a shoe in your typical everyday home forge and casting a new one.

Don't have a home forge? Watch this guide for how to turn your oven into a forge. It's fourteen hundred steps long and makes electricians and building inspectors FURIOUS!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Due to being a man child with more money than impulse control I have a never ending supply of Amazon shipping boxes. But, I much prefer paper shopping bags to corrugated cardboard for my fire starting needs.

Here's a woodstove life hack for you; Are you lazy and hung over? Did you not get up at 5 AM to throw another log on? If you need to get that fire going quick without a lot of grief, use 2 to 3 self lighting charcoal briquettes. Probably not enough carbon monoxide to kill you, but with a hangover like this, the sweet release of death might be just what you need.

Life hack: have an actually functioning and properly built wood-burning apparatus so you don't need hacks to get a fire started quickly.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jerry Cotton posted:

Life hack: have an actually functioning and properly built wood-burning apparatus so you don't need hacks to get a fire started quickly.

Look man some lightly crumpled up newspaper made the best kindling but print is dead so you gotta hack yourself an alternative :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Look man some lightly crumpled up newspaper made the best kindling but print is dead so you gotta hack yourself an alternative :colbert:

I just use an empty milk carton. I don't know if it's the wax or what but they are great for lighting fires. If you live in a milk-comes-in-a-plastic-vessel dystopia I don't know what to tell you. Or Canada :lol:.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Do you guys all live somewhere where there's no phone books? Once a year the county drops off an enormous stack of kindling paper, and it's free!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dogfish posted:

Do you guys all live somewhere where there's no phone books? Once a year the county drops off an enormous stack of kindling paper, and it's free!

I think the last printed phone book they're going to make was this year's and I never picked one up.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
I feel like we found out all the useful lifehacks a couple years back and we're now scraping bedrock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXtK6zaGSCQ
Featured:
Hand-crank your phone to charge it (I wonder how long you'd have to do it, and how easily you can damage your phone?);
Toothpick launcher (I love any lifehack that has you scraping off match heads like a meth cook);
and a very shoddy flashlight involving the chance of cutting into a aerosol can you haven't fully emptied.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Out of Band II posted:

I feel like we found out all the useful lifehacks a couple years back and we're now scraping bedrock.

Featured:
Hand-crank your phone to charge it (I wonder how long you'd have to do it, and how easily you can damage your phone?);
Toothpick launcher (I love any lifehack that has you scraping off match heads like a meth cook);
and a very shoddy flashlight involving the chance of cutting into a aerosol can you haven't fully emptied.

Sometimes it seems like all this lifehack poo poo is just later-life natural selection. Our overprotective parents stopped us from swallowing the tasty under-sink candy, so now we're coming up with new and inventive ways to remove ourselves from the gene pool.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That loving channel. Dude sure loves glueing poo poo to batteries. There's one video where the lifehack is simply to glue a gas lighter to the end of a pen, and I've been unable to work out to what purpose. The best I could come up with is that it's a lifehack for not having a lighter at the end of your pen.

And the preview image has it glued to the tip of the pen and upside down so it's even more useless and makes you watch the video just to see what the deal is and I'm very upset I fell for it!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

That loving channel. Dude sure loves glueing poo poo to batteries. There's one video where the lifehack is simply to glue a gas lighter to the end of a pen

Sounds like a perfect lifehack to make your own hot glue gun.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

That loving channel. Dude sure loves glueing poo poo to batteries. There's one video where the lifehack is simply to glue a gas lighter to the end of a pen, and I've been unable to work out to what purpose. The best I could come up with is that it's a lifehack for not having a lighter at the end of your pen.

And the preview image has it glued to the tip of the pen and upside down so it's even more useless and makes you watch the video just to see what the deal is and I'm very upset I fell for it!

Yeah I don't know if there's any actual safety issues with it but I watched him glue a rocker switch to a 9-volt a couple times and each time my brain just went "NO gently caress DON'T".

There should be a rule that if it involves more than one or two solders it isn't a life hack.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

My Lovely Horse posted:

The purpose of the lighter-pen was so that you can have a lighter while you also have a pen. That's it. Well, the REAL reason is so that the thumbnail would include something more interesting than a guy drawing circles without a compass, which the rest of the video was about.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have a compass though. It's a very nice Faber-Castell. LIFE HACK DEFEATED!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Filox posted:

Call your local stores and see if any will let you have some empty freight boxes. A lot stores are willing, you don't have to buy anything, just pick them up and corrugated cardboard makes great tinder. One shopping cart full of flattened boxes is a hell of a lot of tinder.

Build a Bale.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Build a Bale.

Or build your own fort in the backyard.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

http://imgur.com/0d4MXb3

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSodFHeYrZs&t=60s

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Lifehack:

Constantly tell everyone that you are a "Maker" yet refuse all help for getting your idea to production. Ask for help and when told what to do, disappear off the grid. Remember to post online that you are a "Maker" endlessly while ignoring all advise.

3 times in the last year a "Maker" has asked for my help and not a single one has taken my advice or refuted my advice. They say, how do I get this made? I say, this is how, here are my contacts, this is how production works, etc. They then disappear and never mention it again. I know manufacturers from Mexico to China to Israel to California but the "Makers" need to engage. I can't do it all for you. Lifehack, refuse to work with people that say "Maker".

Makers...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mostlygray posted:

Lifehack:

Constantly tell everyone that you are a "Maker" yet refuse all help for getting your idea to production. Ask for help and when told what to do, disappear off the grid. Remember to post online that you are a "Maker" endlessly while ignoring all advise.

3 times in the last year a "Maker" has asked for my help and not a single one has taken my advice or refuted my advice. They say, how do I get this made? I say, this is how, here are my contacts, this is how production works, etc. They then disappear and never mention it again. I know manufacturers from Mexico to China to Israel to California but the "Makers" need to engage. I can't do it all for you. Lifehack, refuse to work with people that say "Maker".

Makers...

Sounds like you need to come to our Hacker Space. Located in the worst part of the city. We can sit around and stare at a picture of a 3D printer we can't afford, because we literally spent all our money on rent for our Hacker Space.

Later we'll make fixies out of broomsticks and zip-ties and ride off into the sunset.

MAKERS!

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Oct 29, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

flosofl posted:

Sounds like you need to come to our Hacker Space. Located in the worst part of the city. We can sit around and stare at a picture of a 3D printer we can't afford, because we literally spent all our money on rent for our Hacker Space.

Later we'll make fixes out of broomsticks and zip-ties and ride off into the sunset.

MAKERS!

Better yet, come to MAKE COLLEGE
A 2 year college for startup entrepreneurs who are passionate about MAKING.
This isn't a parody. , https://youtu.be/FJ1QtII2QN0

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Our local makerspace is filled with driven people who do cool projects. YMMV I guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lord funk posted:

Our local makerspace is filled with driven people who do cool projects. YMMV I guess.

What about people who live inside the elevator shaft? And poop on the soldering irons?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

mostlygray posted:

Lifehack:

Makers...

Next time someone does this just go off screaming about shai'hulud until they get scared and leave you alone

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

Next time someone does this just go off screaming about shai'hulud until they get scared and leave you alone

Excuse me?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shai-Hulud posted:

Excuse me?

We have worm sign!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Non Serviam posted:

Better yet, come to MAKE COLLEGE
A 2 year college for startup entrepreneurs who are passionate about MAKING.
This isn't a parody. , https://youtu.be/FJ1QtII2QN0

Holy poo poo. I'd love to see their contracts, because I bet they make private college student loans look like outright charity.

The whole project sounds to me like it's essentially a sweat shop where getting paid is contingent.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay, but why? Toothpaste is super cheap.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's just not the same without a British bloke narrating it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Paladinus posted:

British bloke
You rang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJL-CUcHdO0

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes, that's the stuff.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Out of Band II posted:

Featured:

The whole point of a lifehack is using common items in an innovative way. All of these are neat little projects, but dude figured out that he'd get more views if he labeled his electronics projects as lifehacks instead.

The hand-cranked generator is neat, but so impractical as to be the complete opposite of a lifehack.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The ... is neat, but so impractical as to be the complete opposite of a lifehack.

Bitch I'm so triggered I'm literally making GBS threads breadtags right now Fight me.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is never an appropriate question.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Ask Harry Haldeman.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Obv its so you can pour out all your toothpaste, laced it with cocaine, and put it back in the tube. Really gives you that extra pep you need in the morning!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Facebook Aunt posted:

My guess is to test stop motion animation skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rysithusiku posted:

Obv its so you can pour out all your toothpaste, laced it with cocaine, and put it back in the tube. Really gives you that extra pep you need in the morning!

My shampoo has caffeine in it, which makes me think of this thread and roll my eyes every morning.