Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

timn posted:

I just had a minor epiphany that the ship launched fighters are barely larger than an SRV. You can fly through or fit in just about anywhere the buggy can on planetary outposts.

Yeah and you can fly in under the depression of some air defense turrets, which is pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Watching the guardians launch celebration (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9wZvsPerJD4), I was struck again by how humble and gentlemanly David Braben comes across as being. He gives credit to the team, doesn't seem to assign blame, and when asked about his favourite feature he gets all enthusiastic about the modelling of light speed physics before being gently reminded that the selling point is supposed to be fighters and new ships and all the cool stuff that will presumably help sell it.

It's an interesting contrast with the Space Game That Shall Not Be Named (or Made, probably).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tell us more about your Braben thoughts.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Is there some trick into gettig skimmers to spawn at an outpost. Stacked some missions last night at 2 outposts. First one was fine, when I approached skimmers spawned, none at the second despite reapproaching a few times and shooting some turrets.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Emnity posted:

Is there some trick into gettig skimmers to spawn at an outpost. Stacked some missions last night at 2 outposts. First one was fine, when I approached skimmers spawned, none at the second despite reapproaching a few times and shooting some turrets.

Land.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What extactly does destroying a generator do? Turrets fire less? deal less damage?
Basically I don't understand what is this http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ixtli/video/22841858
The same time it takes him to wreck the base with barely a dent in his shields, it takes the same time for them to completely destroy me.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 29, 2016

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Beefeater1980 posted:

It's an interesting contrast with the Space Game That Shall Not Be Named (or Made, probably).

I've chatted with a bunch of the FDev community team at their events, and they're all pretty cool.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dumb and kinda scared posted:

What extactly does destroying a generator do? Turrets fire less? deal less damage?
Basically I don't understand what is this http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ixtli/video/22841858
The same time it takes him to wreck the base with barely a dent in his shields, it takes the same time for them to completely destroy me.

Generators power whatever they're connected to so by destroying one you can knock out a bunch of connected shooty bang bangs.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Generators power whatever they're connected to so by destroying one you can knock out a bunch of connected shooty bang bangs.

Thanks. In other news Cochrane works has 0 missions now. Looks like Frontier finally caught up that SOMEBODY IS MAKING MONEY IN OUR GAME OMFG!!!! Better come out on saturday and fix this ASAP. jesus christ

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thanks. In other news Cochrane works has 0 missions now. Looks like Frontier finally caught up that SOMEBODY IS MAKING MONEY IN OUR GAME OMFG!!!! Better come out on saturday and fix this ASAP. jesus christ

Xbox UA bombing? That seems to be a reflex to everything.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

Well yes, I had landed on both occaisons and was zipping around in my SRV. They spawned at the first outpost when I approached.

The second outpost nothing, only defense guns. poo poo a bunch of those and still nothing. Logged out and back in and no change.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Good Dumplings posted:

Yes, if someone doesn't enjoy a particular design they are A Bad Person Who Is Ruining Video Games and should get good or get out

I'm not necessarily saying that they're wrong. I just don't think Elite is a very good skinner box because it was never designed as one. And I;'m not looking down my nose, because I like the odd skinner box just fine. If people want to play Elite like one then okay, but they're cutting against the grain.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
One thing I have to applaud the Frontier-devs for is the audio-design. Yesterday I went out with my SRV to collect jump juice materials and even though I'm completely tone deaf and haven't done this in months, I learned pretty drat fast which sound was leading me to the rarer materials and which one was not. I can imagine someone who is deaf being in trouble if the different sensor signals are mixing on your SRV-scanner window, though. But on the other hand, the sound works so great I can now imagine someone blind driving the SRV entirely by sound, so I guess it balances out in the end? :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

One thing I have to applaud the Frontier-devs for is the audio-design. Yesterday I went out with my SRV to collect jump juice materials and even though I'm completely tone deaf and haven't done this in months, I learned pretty drat fast which sound was leading me to the rarer materials and which one was not. I can imagine someone who is deaf being in trouble if the different sensor signals are mixing on your SRV-scanner window, though. But on the other hand, the sound works so great I can now imagine someone blind driving the SRV entirely by sound, so I guess it balances out in the end? :shrug:

Yeah, the sound design in this game is constantly amazing! The first time I landed my 'vette on a planet: :tviv:

It's also really easy to hear when your FSD is going to slip out coming into a gravity well...easier than watching the throttle or clock, anyways.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, the sound design in this game is constantly amazing! The first time I landed my 'vette on a planet: :tviv:

It's also really easy to hear when your FSD is going to slip out coming into a gravity well...easier than watching the throttle or clock, anyways.

It's been posted a number of times, but it's worth coming back to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiAcsrmyePs

It's so gratifying when someone has actually done sound design, not just a lot of sound recording and mixing. The way they've consciously made sound a critical feedback component makes for a world of difference, not just in experiencing the game somewhat passively but in actually playing it and responding to what happens in-game. In hindsight, it's almost shockingly non-shocking how they came up with such ideas as planetary exploration being more than half sound — both on the surface and up in space, looking for planets to explore.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Also pretty lame: Missions failing because a passenger gets pissed at you being fined for "pad loitering" as a "criminal activity".

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
David Brabens office furniture looks like he stole it from a high school library circa 1999.

Elite Dangerous is not a particularly good video game, but it is not a scam.

It's really hard to make good video games and impossible to make good space ship ones.

But unlike space citizen, ED gave it the old college try and it's fun for a while.

Looking back at the "multiplayer" parts of it like "power play" and "back ground simulation" I think the best way to describe it in laymans terms is "moving a giant mountain of gravel one piece at a time, with the end goal being the ability to say 'I moved a whole mountain of gravel!'"

ED offers no illusions, after 435 hours played reloading mission screen and clicking the button. you can note with satisfaction thAt the word in your description has changed from "earl" to "space duke," and you're free to imagine the stimpirical strictures with which you burden your obedient serfs.

Space citizen promises that you won't have to imagine it. 1475$ will buy you guaranteed dominion, just imagine. Just Pledge. Every dream will come true. After all, Chris Roberts...

ED isn't any fun once you get sick of shooting the same space ships or getting interdicted or docking or scooping or whatever over and over and over and over and over and over again. But at least it's honest. And it's worth fifteen bucks or whatever. Which makes it worth 15 more bucks than its competition.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Which said they got me for my "horizons" money.

Is there really a way to make 100m space money in one hour?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:allears: source your Reddit quotes please

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Legitimately, not really anymore. Illegitimately the only semi kinda sorta safe hacks these days are capacitor fuckery, omniscanning(scanning in any direction at any range), instant jump, no jump aligning, no jump fuel use, and maybe (probably not) the jump range extender.

With no fuel use, instant/no align jump, and a properly engineered FSD you could probably shuttle 20 scientists to sag A and back in what, 45000(ly)/45(ly per jump) * 50 seconds (fsd cooldown plus loading time plus move away from the star you are jumping to). Thats only 14 hours! Now if you do it legitimately on average each jump + fuel scoop would take maybe 2x that. So 14 hours for 20*30 mil if you are hacking and want your account possibly obliterated or maybe 30 hours if you want to work your rear end off.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

If you were going full out balls to the wall hacking you could do it in half the time with a 100ly jump range but theres no way in hell you would get away with it. Frontier's track record here is hacks get you a 2 to 4 week ban from open play, you usually get to keep what profit you made from cheating, but the next offense they either take your account away entirely or keep you out of openplay forever.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Keep in mind that cheating yourself to the top is a rather hollow victory. There isn't much to spend your money on so when you skip the grind you have effectively skipped the game.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
How playable is the game with a controller?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Steam controller is fantastic for flying just don't try and drive with it. PS3 controller is also good. You use triangle/square/circle combined with d pad to make lots of functions. Only awkward thing is controlling yaw left/right.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

whats your opinions on passengers? Should I bother with whales or stick to economy class money wise?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Economy with a smattering of business IMO

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

whats your opinions on passengers? Should I bother with whales or stick to economy class money wise?

Depends on your reputation.

Really high paying missions usually have business class or higher as prerequisite. I am an Elite trader /allied in many factions yet didn't find many 1st Class or Luxury missions. So my verdict is: Definitely aim for business class. 1st class/luxury class give you more leeway but aren't really necessary. Also: Never take rebels/criminals on board. It is not worth the risk.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Steam controller is fantastic for flying just don't try and drive with it. PS3 controller is also good. You use triangle/square/circle combined with d pad to make lots of functions. Only awkward thing is controlling yaw left/right.

How do you have the Steam controller configured? I fly using a 360 pad but was never able to find a comfortable control setup with the Steam Controller

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

when you don't check the planetary G

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

lnding succsful

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

when you don't check the planetary G

Hmm…

• More than one bounce.
• No wingy bits flying off in a different direction.
• Seems to be aiming for a specific spot.

Nah, that bird was just trying to get through the mail slot without getting scanned, and forgot the spikey navigation light/tower thing at the other end. Or maybe it was trying to complete one of those 2.0 salvaging missions and was in a hurry to avoid it suddenly time out and fail for no apparent reason.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 29, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

tofes posted:

How do you have the Steam controller configured? I fly using a 360 pad but was never able to find a comfortable control setup with the Steam Controller

Advanced gamepad, right touchpad configured as control stick.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is there a reason to take a Beluga over an Orca? I mean, theoretically it could hold more passengers, but can you stack enough of those to the same place to make it worth it? Or are there other advantages?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Because you have nothing else to spend your money on.

And Beluga looks way more :coolfish:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Hrrrrm should I hire this lady?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Mr. Crow posted:

I feel like as the game continues to grow well almost assuredly get player owned stuff. Obviously probably never full blown stations and maybe not even outposts (although both would be super cool as part of some larger player faction overhaul that is nothing like EVE), but the original elite let you own like mining platforms etc so I don't know why they wouldn't eventually do it.

Especially when they get the walking around stuff implemented, you'll have to have housing etc.

That's probably like 5 years away though at least.

I think you and I have very different ideas of what "the original Elite" means. You couldn't do any of that back in good ol' 1984.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Did they already nuke the skimmer stacking missions from that reddit post?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Trustworthy posted:

Hrrrrm should I hire this lady?

Yes.

Also, we should have a spacemans battle league and have them fight each other Pokemon-style!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

We really should be able to launch 2 fighters and not only 1...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Gromit posted:

I think you and I have very different ideas of what "the original Elite" means. You couldn't do any of that back in good ol' 1984.

For me it's Elite:Frontier. Strictly speaking I did play the 1984 original some time in the late 80s, but for eight year old me that largely meant repeatedly trying and failing to dock. Frontier was the one I really enjoyed, and what I remember about that above all else was starting off on a planet, flying into space and then docking at a space station.

• Locked thread