Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

+1 for Iron Abuela and John Lewis in Atlanta.

Unfortunately the Republican Senator incumbent is up by 14 puts in the latest poll.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tender Bender posted:

If he had kept his head down and just said generic talking points from the convention to now he would be terrifyingly close to the white house, if not the frontrunner.

When he (I think at the convention?) silenced the "LOCK HER UP" chants and responded, "Let's defeat her in November." I was scared. That looked like a candidate who had learned how to smartly channel the shrieking hot ball of rage, while making himself look sane enough for "reasonable" people to vote for him. Fortunately, that wasn't the case.
If Trump had been capable of doing this for more than short periods of time, he would be more like Steve Forbes or something. He might well have been more successful as a businessman, but he would have inspired jack nor poo poo among the GOP base.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

botany posted:

The GOP is in a legitimate Prisoner's Dilemma situation right now, and that's actually pretty interesting to see in the wild. If you and me are both Republicans, then it is in both of our interests to court minority votes and be less racist, so that our party can continue to be electable in the future. However, if you do that, then it's in my best interest to rake you over the coals for it and look like a strong leader instead, especially if we're running for the same seat. So while the party as a whole benefits from a conciliatory approach and a leftward shift, individually that makes you weak. They're pretty much hosed for a while, and it will be interesting to see how they get out of it.

I feel like "Paul Ryan"'s entire character arc so far in Trump Leaks is a pretty accurate summation of how the Republican Party leadership has and will handle Trumpism. When all else collapses, they'll still count on the right wing authoritarians to support cutting taxes on the wealthy, and a program of deregulation. Everything else is window-dressing.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Josh Lyman posted:

Unfortunately the Republican Senator incumbent is up by 14 puts in the latest poll.

Seems to be a lot of +Abuela voters in this thread from Georgia - our house was +2 out of Columbus first day of early voting.

Clearly she will take GA in a landslide!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The anti-arzy solution is to get a predictit account and cash in on some of the ridiculously cheap bets right now thanks to these email headlines.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
More Tim Kaine from the Onion.

http://trib.al/05Qc7zf

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/2020-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-230486

Four more years?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

loving yes I hope so. Sink the loving fascists Trump, take 'em with you! :getin:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Now watch Trump denounce Gingrich for daring to question his inevitable victory over the Rigged System.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

On one hand, this would be great because it would be yet another presidential election that the Republican Party would throw away and push them further into disarray.

On the other hand, Trump running again would put deplorables even further in the public sphere and that's not good.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pakled posted:

On one hand, this would be great because it would be yet another presidential election that the Republican Party would throw away and push them further into disarray.

On the other hand, Trump running again would put deplorables even further in the public sphere and that's not good.

Every four years there's less and less of them and more people who hate the Republican Party.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

If he had kept his head down and just said generic talking points from the convention to now he would be terrifyingly close to the white house, if not the frontrunner.
You mean: if there as no events where he'd be forced to speak for an extended time to the public.

The two things that really dropped him in the polls were the convention and the first debate.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I don't think the Republicans will let Trump run again.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Four continued years of Trump bitching on Twitter, waiting for 2020 and sinking his claws into the Republican system. Four long years of fascists turning on each other after Trump stinks of loser and there is an inevitable rift in the party. Four years of congressmen slowly killing themselves for angering Trump.

The wonderful thing to think about is that he's 70 and already unhealthy as gently caress and look at what this campaign is doing to him. If he keeps this going for a few years he'll likely spontaneously com bust.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

I think I speak for the entire American people when I speak these three simple words:

kill me now

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Maybe not. But even if they manage that, if he runs third party and endorses a bunch of primary challenges to establishment Rs while aggressively denouncing the Paul Ryan crowd he would create utter havoc on the right.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Josh Lyman posted:

Every time I see "Iron Abuela" my brain automatically substitutes "Iron Sheik."

Tell me you wouldn't want to see Sheiky Baby tweet all through this election and then from the white house.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

How does this compare to previous years?

Also, how accurate were polls of early voters in previous years?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
God, what if Trump announces in his concession speech that he's running in 2020

(The most unbelievable part of the above question is the assumption that Trump will make a concession speech)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

How does this compare to previous years?

Also, how accurate were polls of early voters in previous years?
I believe historically speaking early voting was a wash and absentee voting was skewed Republican because it was mostly for people living overseas (who are thus relatively affluent in most cases unless they were...) and the military (who skewed Republican).

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

Maybe not. But even if they manage that, if he runs third party and endorses a bunch of primary challenges to establishment Rs while aggressively denouncing the Paul Ryan crowd he would create utter havoc on the right.

This is a good thing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pakled posted:

(The most unbelievable part of the above question is the assumption that Trump will make a concession speech)

It will be a declaration that he is right and he will wait for a fair campaign in 2020 while making the rest of it a commercial for his new products. Carefully avoiding any insinuation that he lost.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pakled posted:

Wouldn't that require him to concede.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think I speak for the entire American people when I speak these three simple words:

kill me now

But then there'd be nobody to kill me

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Supremezero posted:

Wouldn't that require him to concede.
"This election was stolen from me even though I legitimately won it, but I don't expect I will be sworn in because the fix is in. As such, my RE-election campaign for 2020 begins now. Please buy my products."

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cefte posted:

aero-micro-targeting

holy poo poo it's cefte

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Goatman Sacks posted:

holy poo poo it's cefte
Kefte, in the U.S. version.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sky Shadowing posted:

More importantly Hillary has demonstrated just how easy it is to bait Trump into self destruction. In the twisted future hellscape timeline where he runs again there is no way that his Republican primary challengers don't take advantage of that.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Chokes McGee posted:

Every time I see "Iron Abuela" my brain automatically substitutes "Iron Sheik."

Tell me you wouldn't want to see Sheiky Baby tweet all through this election and then from the white house.

Abuela will make Humble.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bassetking posted:

Abuela will make Humble.

Break your back with the Clinton Clutch and gently caress you in the rear end.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Interesting article on Republicans preparing for what comes after election day. Nice to see that Arzying isn't confined to one side:

Boston Globe posted:

“It’s like Humpty Dumpty fell and broke, then a giant lawn mower ran over it, acid was thrown on the pieces — and a bunch of racist idiots ran off with an arm and a leg,” said John Weaver, a longtime Republican consultant. “How do you put it back together? I don’t know.”
:laffo:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Goatman Sacks posted:

holy poo poo it's cefte

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

This is a good thing.

Absolutely. :getin:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nessus posted:

I believe historically speaking early voting was a wash and absentee voting was skewed Republican because it was mostly for people living overseas (who are thus relatively affluent in most cases unless they were...) and the military (who skewed Republican).

Found a deeper analyis here. Indicates Hillary is winning NC, Florida and Arizona. Doing worse in Ohio, Iowa and Georgia. Texas a tossup, as is Utah between Trump and McMullin.
http://fortune.com/2016/10/27/hillary-clinton-early-voting/

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Sky Shadowing posted:

Maybe they will. Just so they can mercilessly dunk on him in the primaries for points.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

More importantly Hillary has demonstrated just how easy it is to bait Trump into self destruction. In the twisted future hellscape timeline where he runs again there is no way that his Republican primary challengers don't take advantage of that.

Exactly, there's not going to be this season's primary where they held back on Trump and let him poo poo all over them and then roll around in the poo poo. The Republican candidates are going to go all out on him next time, especially if Clinton gets the downticket.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Exactly, there's not going to be this season's primary where they held back on Trump and let him poo poo all over them and then roll around in the poo poo. The Republican candidates are going to go all out on him next time, especially if Clinton gets the downticket.
That's why Trump would run on the Trump Party ticket, while perhaps teasing that he'd endorse a Republican if certain conditions were met. This would make the Republican race about him, no doubt a desirable goal for him.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think Trump's drunk, or the teleprompter is, or both. Currently in Arizona:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/792502976355049472

quote:

Trump just told the crowd in Arizona that he can win Minnesota.

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/792503811478740992

quote:

He also just told his Arizona crowd that they are as loud as an Ohio State football game.

Re: the early voter numbers - no idea. Mook seems pretty happy retweeting them so they can't be all that bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Found a deeper analyis here. Indicates Hillary is winning NC, Florida and Arizona. Doing worse in Ohio, Iowa and Georgia. Texas a tossup, as is Utah between Trump and McMullin.
http://fortune.com/2016/10/27/hillary-clinton-early-voting/

Georgia was always a long shot. North Carolina is identical to Ohio and Arizona > Iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Georgia was always a long shot. North Carolina is identical to Ohio and Arizona > Iowa.

Also winning NC or Florida sticks a fork in it, doesn't it? Everything else is gravy.

Texas a tossup?!?

• Locked thread