Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

rjmccall posted:

it doesn't work. to the extent that it's been successful it's because it's a cheap but functional windows laptop that everyone attaches a keyboard and mouse to use

it's cheap mostly because both microsoft and intel are subsidizing the hell out of it. also because people don't count the cost of the mandatory accessories
We're ordering a lot of them here in Academia-land and people seem to pretty much universally like them.

The Surface Book is absolutely 100% not worth the asking price though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

or u could use wireless headphones

remove: lightning splitter dongle

add: headphone charging case, second lightning cable

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

or u could use wireless headphones

don't make me laugh

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

We're ordering a lot of them here in Academia-land and people seem to pretty much universally like them.

sure, but do they really use the touch screen, or are they just using them as cheap windows laptops

because there is definitely a market for portable computers running windows, that is not a position anyone is arguing against

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
when nerds are angry about ui changes then you know apple is doing something right. being able to do basic interactions without lifting your hands from the keyboard in the context of the current app is basically all of the benefits of touch screens without all of the stupidity of poking at your windows-based ui with your fingers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
correct me if i'm wrong about apple's history and future here as i understand it, solely by lurking the 'pos

- jobs leaves/gets kicked out of apple
- apple ends up with a zillion barely different products and is facing bankruptcy due to irrelevance
- jobs comes back, gets rid of the bullshit, and hones the product lines to just a few types, reemphasizes apple's commitment to premium products and innovation over the competition
- the ipad and iphone always share cpu generation
- jobs dies, and every product line including the cables fragments into a half-dozen items or more each, updating in haphazard fashion, and falling behind every other company in every spec field except build quality, as soon as jobs is deep enough not to dig himself out to kill timb
- apple fades into irrelevance or races to the bottom as timb cares more about his ceo bonus than the long term success of the company

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 29, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's about the size of it, yeah.

of course, stymie said as much five years ago, but whatever.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

infernal machines posted:

that's about the size of it, yeah.

of course, stymie said as much five years ago, but whatever.

Many people said it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
i figured the beginning of the end was when they updated the memory sizes for their phones, and it went from 16/32/64, to 16/64/128, to force that second tier price purchase

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
alternately there's not really anything interesting left to do with the laptop tablet or phone form factor and apple is dumping money into actual r&d to try and figure out something new

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

alternately there's not really anything interesting left to do with the laptop tablet or phone form factor and apple is dumping money into actual r&d to try and figure out something new

like watches or cars

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
or $185 easilly lost earbuds

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

exploding mummy posted:

like watches or cars

note that I said try, I didn't mean to imply success

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Management posted:

when nerds are angry about ui changes then you know apple is doing something right. being able to do basic interactions without lifting your hands from the keyboard in the context of the current app is basically all of the benefits of touch screens without all of the stupidity of poking at your windows-based ui with your fingers.

that'd be fine if they didn't remove keys to make it happen, tactile feedback and muscle memory are still important for laptop keyboards which is why every touch-only laptop keyboard attempted has been a godawful nightmare

it could have gone right above the stupidly-large touchpad and had all the same benefits of the current location with none of the drawbacks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

the iPhone and iPad are the only 2 of those devices out there that are honestly worth a poo poo though. I guess the Pixel is supposed to be good but android is terrible. Well more terrible than iOS, but that's not saying much.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
apple is just cornering the future procrastination market with the solitaire bar

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

the iPhone and iPad are the only 2 of those devices out there that are honestly worth a poo poo though. I guess the Pixel is supposed to be good but android is terrible. Well more terrible than iOS, but that's not saying much.

i would probably use an android if there was a phone w/a better or more innovative form factor (like that xiaomi phone) and wasn't shitted up software wise, but as many others would probably agree, imessage is what locks me down

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Mister Macys posted:

correct me if i'm wrong about apple's history and future here as i understand it, solely by lurking the 'pos

- jobs leaves/gets kicked out of apple
- apple ends up with a zillion barely different products and is facing bankruptcy due to irrelevance
- jobs comes back, gets rid of the bullshit, and hones the product lines to just a few types, reemphasizes apple's commitment to premium products and innovation over the competition
- the ipad and iphone always share cpu generation
- jobs dies, and every product line including the cables fragments into a half-dozen items or more each, updating in haphazard fashion, and falling behind every other company in every spec field except build quality, as soon as jobs is deep enough not to dig himself out to kill timb
- apple fades into irrelevance or races to the bottom as timb cares more about his ceo bonus than the long term success of the company
ballmer was arguably a bad ceo, but tim should hire him and then step aside

then at least the new keynotes would be more exciting

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
modern Bluetooth headphones sound as good as wired cans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes, in that they sound like cans strung together with wire

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

modern Bluetooth headphones sound as good as wired cans

the last thing i need is another goddamn thing to charge

also basically all of them either have proprietary charging cables or use microusb (including beats which apple loving owns) so you can't even use the same cables that your iphone or macbook use

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what are you talking about? my dictaphones sound as good as the day they were recorded

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I've charged my Beoplay h7s once since getting them. I plugged them in when I went to bed and wouldn't you know it they were charged when I woke up. you all spend more time explaining the extra effort it will take to charge them then it actually takes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sethsez posted:

that'd be fine if they didn't remove keys to make it happen, tactile feedback and muscle memory are still important for laptop keyboards which is why every touch-only laptop keyboard attempted has been a godawful nightmare

it could have gone right above the stupidly-large touchpad and had all the same benefits of the current location with none of the drawbacks

lol no, your hands are covering 70% of where that screen would go when you rest them normally on the keyboard.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I wonder if we're going to get a cost breakdown of production vs. the previous model for the macbook pro. If it's the chassis improvement that's making it more expensive then I'm totally good with that.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The previous edition was well built and solid but a bit flexy.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

they got rid of the side vents again so maybe???

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the new macbooks pro are so bad that im unironically looking at those new razer blade stealth/pro laptops

e: tho the stealth is a dual core afaik and my 2015 13" mbp is slow as poo poo for compiling

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 30, 2016

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

the new macbooks pro are so bad that im unironically looking at those new razer blade stealth/pro laptops

e: tho the stealth is a dual core afaik and my 2015 13" mbp is slow as poo poo for compiling

the 13" always has a noticeably worse CPU for battery/heat reasons, why would you get it for a dev machine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

when intel was late with broadwell quad cores lenovo shipped a workstation laptop with a dual core processor for some reason

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

rjmccall posted:

the 13" always has a noticeably worse CPU for battery/heat reasons, why would you get it for a dev machine

company gave it to me. i didn't buy it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

triple sulk posted:

company gave it to me. i didn't buy it.

same i pick mine up monday lol

not the new one, but still

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

rjmccall posted:

sure, but do they really use the touch screen, or are they just using them as cheap windows laptops

because there is definitely a market for portable computers running windows, that is not a position anyone is arguing against
This is probably mostly an academia function but a lot of profs like them for travel since they're smaller but still pretty full-featured, but mostly because they use them in class and mark up their powerpoints/lecture notes/etc with them easily. A lot of them swear by OneNote too but not being an academic who needs it I don't really get it.

Win10 really made the surfaces decent to use because you can switch from a regular desktop feel to the tablet mode easily when the keyboard cover is detached and it works pretty well for what it is.

I personally have no need for one at all but they seem to be pretty needs suiting.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i can see the slides thing, wanting to jot something down during your presentation and then integrate into the slides later is something that happens

not sure it really requires a touch screen, probably easier to do with a stylus than a finger, and ofc totally possible with an ipad, but it's nice to not have to move stuff between computers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Doc Block posted:

macvim opens its own window, and while you can use vim controls in it, it also supports the usual OS X stuff like Cmd-S for saving, Cmd-Q for quitting, etc.

lmfao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

lol. sure.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

get an xps 15

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
in one of my art school classes i looked around the circle and it went macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, macbook, my thinkpad with a post-it on it announcing that it's "scrap", macbook

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

get an xps 15

they haven't updated those to kaby lake yet which i want if i get a new one at some point

my concern with something like the razer ones is qc but they basically look like macbook clones in dark aluminum. i've just been looking at the options and it's mostly that, an updated xps. the surfaces pro and book are nice but the former doesn't have enough power and the latter didn't get much of an upgrade beyond the kb base (they're still on 6th gen iirc). tbh i do prefer a 13-14 inch form factor if possible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmao
https://twitter.com/danielpunkass/status/792098187809001472

who the gently caress wants to look at their keyboard when they're using "command line tools including vi, emacs, and others" (lmao)

• Locked thread