Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Serrath posted:

Your suggestions have been amazing, thank you. For all the talk of saving money, I still have to buy a desk, wireless card, windows 10, power board, speakers, keyboard + mouse, chair etc so an extra $30 isn't going to make much of a dent. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions, I don't know where I would have started with research otherwise

No problem. :v:

Oh, and just in case you didn't know - you can't SLI the 1060, so if you get to that point in the next 3-5 years where you feel your graphics card isn't cutting it anymore, don't get a second 1060 then be surprised when there's no way to connect them. :)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You wouldn't want a 27" 1080p panel anyways the pixel density would be awful.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

You wouldn't want a 27" 1080p panel anyways the pixel density would be awful.

Yeah - I've been using a 24" Dell 2412M for years now and it's plenty big. Two of them side-by-side would be a good amount of screen real estate.

Also, there's a 27" version of that Viewsonic I linked: ViewSonic VX2776-SMHD, it's just not for sale at that store.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/viewsonic-vx2776smhd-27-fhd-ahips-led-lcd-monitor-ab85437

Similarly, consider a 60Hz 1440p monitor. 2x 1080p = ~4.417m pixels of space. 1x 2560x1440 = ~3.69m pixels, so the single 27" 1440p would be less strain on your 1060.

Or something like this: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35010/lg-29um68-p-29in-ultrawide-freesync-ips-led-gaming-monitor/

I'd imagine an Ultrawide would be nice in Civ games.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 29, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Civ is really nice in ultra wide.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

One thing Big Headline failed to mention is that the RAM you listed is 2133MHz. Since you plan on overclocking, you might look at getting 3000MHz instead.

After looking at the price on the website you linked, I can understand not wanting to get it, but someone here actually familiar with Australian vendors might be able to point you towards some cheaper options.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Appreciate the responses. Consensus was to hold off on a GPU and consider the 1050ti when it came out.

NewEgg looks to have the following three cards that are compatible with my set-up, all within about $15 of one another:
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/6hKhP6,wrmxFT,NndFf7/

Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4gb Dual (or Phoenix)
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/MndFf7/asus-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1050ti-4g
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6hKhP6/asus-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-phoenix-video-card-ph-gtx1050ti-4g
- I know that matching motherboards with video cards doesn't really impact things. PCpartspicker indicates that both the "Phoenix" and "Dual" versions are compatible. If I were to go with Asus, is it generally best to opt for a dual fan or is that likely overkill for my needs? I think I'd save $10-15 if I went with a single fan.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4gb ACX 2.0
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/wrmxFT/evga-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-acx-20-video-card-04g-p4-6251-kr

Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4gb Mini
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/NndFf7/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10510a-10l

Are these manufacturers generally on par with one another? Should I lean toward one over the rest?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tortilla Maker posted:

Appreciate the responses. Consensus was to hold off on a GPU and consider the 1050ti when it came out.

NewEgg looks to have the following three cards that are compatible with my set-up, all within about $15 of one another:
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/6hKhP6,wrmxFT,NndFf7/

Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4gb Dual (or Phoenix)
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/MndFf7/asus-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1050ti-4g
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6hKhP6/asus-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-phoenix-video-card-ph-gtx1050ti-4g
- I know that matching motherboards with video cards doesn't really impact things. PCpartspicker indicates that both the "Phoenix" and "Dual" versions are compatible. If I were to go with Asus, is it generally best to opt for a dual fan or is that likely overkill for my needs? I think I'd save $10-15 if I went with a single fan.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4gb ACX 2.0
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/wrmxFT/evga-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-acx-20-video-card-04g-p4-6251-kr

Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4gb Mini
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/NndFf7/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10510a-10l

Are these manufacturers generally on par with one another? Should I lean toward one over the rest?

turns out the 1050ti is surprisingly lovely. Go for the plain jane 1050 or step up to the 1060. Consensus is that the 1050ti isn't really worth the price bump. It's like 30% more expensive for 10% more power. Civ is more CPU bound anyways.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Just completed a new build and all is well except one small thing I can't resolve. The Phanteks heatsink comes with a Y splitter for both fans. I have confirmed that both fans work but whichever fan is connected to the 3 pin male end of the splitter does not spin. Whichever fan I connect to the 4 pin end works perfectly.

Is this just a busted splitter or am I missing something? I assume both fans should still spin up even under no/low load (currently looking at BIOS settings).

For reference this is my build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($240.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($168.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($445.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1353.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 08:24 EDT-0400

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Serrath posted:

Thanks for the second response. The alternative screen you linked is 24 inch but I was hoping for 27. Do I lose picture quality if I link the card's HDMI port to one monitor and the normal VGA port to the other port on the card?

What monitor and resolution are you currently using and do you consider the text size too small? The monitor you chose is still only 1080p and with two of them you will end up turning your head a lot. Your applications will end up spread quite wide.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So, I went ahead and cancelled my order of the Hyper 212 EVO, and bought the Noctua NH-U14S at my local NCIX because of the seemingly easier installation. Any tips on what I should do before I take apart my PC and irreparably damage it?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Agrajag posted:

So, I went ahead and cancelled my order of the Hyper 212 EVO, and bought the Noctua NH-U14S at my local NCIX because of the seemingly easier installation. Any tips on what I should do before I take apart my PC and irreparably damage it?

Ground yourself. Either by using a strap or touching a large metal object once in a while.

Edit: Also when you remove the existing cooler, clean off any thermal paste with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. Then re-apply with some new paste that should come with your cooler.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 29, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm considering getting a basic gaming computer to keep up with games that I haven't been able to play since like 2013, and I'm interested in smaller form factor desktops. Obviously the NUC isn't gonna have enough space to hold low-mid range gaming components, but from what I've read, there's chassis out there that hold these components and are still relatively small. However, most cases are about the size of a cubic foot like this one, which is better than the old 2005-2007 era desktops but still a bit large for my tastes. What have people put together for low-mid range gaming on small form factor PCs?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I built something based on the recommendations of this thread 4 years ago that has been great, but I feel like it's getting a little long in the tooth. Here's the build itself.

I have around $1500 or so to spend and I was wondering if it would be worth it to put together something before the end of the year, or wait a while longer. Mostly for playing games and graphic design. Some video and photo editing. I've noticed a few hiccups in newer games over the last few months, but nothing breaking or unplayable. Just want to get a feel for whether or not it's worth it at this point.

edit: I'm in the US. I'd like to be able to throw whatever and the next build and run it on ultra across the board for at least the next 2 years.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 29, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Personally, I'd overclock if you haven't, add another 8gb of RAM and jump to a current gen GPU (1070 or 1080). And maybe get a PSU soon if it's 4 years old. If you want to spend the money on a full build though, by all means a 6600 or 6700k would be a nice CPU.

Edit: what's your resolution and refresh rate of your monitor? Nm, I am dumb and it's in the picture. :downs: I think a 1070 would probably carry you there easily for the next 2 years along with the other upgrades. I'm using a 1070 on 3 screens at 1080 @ 60 hz for racing games and am able to max out (admittedly old game that's not super demanding, iRacing) above the refresh rate with everything maxed and my processor is even older than yours.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 29, 2016

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Since we're on the topic of thermal paste, are all they all non-conductive nowadays? In particular, the included paste that comes with the Hyper 212 Evo since that's going to be the cooler I use in my planned build?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sashimi posted:

Since we're on the topic of thermal paste, are all they all non-conductive nowadays? In particular, the included paste that comes with the Hyper 212 Evo since that's going to be the cooler I use in my planned build?

They're not all non-conductive but the stuff that comes with the hyper 212 is white paste which is usually non-conductive. You probably shouldn't end up getting it anywhere but on top of the heatspreader anyway if you're careful.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LogicalFallacy posted:

One thing Big Headline failed to mention is that the RAM you listed is 2133MHz. Since you plan on overclocking, you might look at getting 3000MHz instead.

After looking at the price on the website you linked, I can understand not wanting to get it, but someone here actually familiar with Australian vendors might be able to point you towards some cheaper options.

I missed that, good catch. I PMed him in the hopes he hasn't pulled the trigger yet.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a 179 open box special would a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 3GB GDDR5 Video Card be a great deal as opposed to a 6gb version for 284?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 29, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's a good DEAL but 3gb is very limiting when it comes to decent resolution textures.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VelociBacon posted:

It's a good DEAL but 3gb is very limiting when it comes to decent resolution textures.

Well for FWIW my monitor tops out at 1600X900. I guess I can just forgo getting a 3gb and SSD and just go with the 6gb (I've also found a PNY one for 250). I'm still amazed that the i5 2500k at 5 years old...once overclocked...is so drat good still.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Where are you that a 6GB 1060 would be any more than ~$230? And the reason we recommend the 6GB is because thanks to the refreshed consoles having 8GB of frame buffer, it stands to reason that console games ported to PC will benefit from more than 4GB in the not-so-distant future.

EDIT: Well, sooner or later you'll get a bigger monitor, and you'll appreciate the 6GB then. An SSD is a major quality of life upgrade, though, so get one of those ASAP. There's also a case to be made that you should get the SSD first. Buying a 3GB 1060 is a bit like buying a "placeholder" card. It'll suffice for ~12-18 months, but after that you'll likely want a new card.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 29, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Where are you that a 6GB 1060 would be any more than ~$230? And the reason we recommend the 6GB is because thanks to the refreshed consoles having 8GB of frame buffer, it stands to reason that console games ported to PC will benefit from more than 4GB in the not-so-distant future.

I'm just looking at the St. David's Mico Center. I'm live near it and I like the return policy and also I like not having to wait lol.

So anything you can find on sale at that location I'd be greatly interested in hearing about.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

gfanikf posted:

I'm just looking at the St. David's Mico Center. I'm live near it and I like the return policy and also I like not having to wait lol.

So anything you can find on sale at that location I'd be greatly interested in hearing about.

Micro Center is occasionally in the habit of price-matching online vendors, since Best Buy has started doing it as well.

Also, Best Buy carries the single-fan 6GB 1060 for $250 - so if you don't want to wait, that's an option as well. That one will also fit in *any* case, so there's no need to find a ruler.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Personally, I'd overclock if you haven't, add another 8gb of RAM and jump to a current gen GPU (1070 or 1080). And maybe get a PSU soon if it's 4 years old. If you want to spend the money on a full build though, by all means a 6600 or 6700k would be a nice CPU.

Edit: what's your resolution and refresh rate of your monitor? Nm, I am dumb and it's in the picture. :downs: I think a 1070 would probably carry you there easily for the next 2 years along with the other upgrades. I'm using a 1070 on 3 screens at 1080 @ 60 hz for racing games and am able to max out (admittedly old game that's not super demanding, iRacing) above the refresh rate with everything maxed and my processor is even older than yours.

This computer will continue to be used by my fiance so if I'm going to get something I kinda have to start from scratch. That's the other reason for the new build. She's getting antsy and wants a desktop for herself :)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a place that compares relative GPU performance of mobile GPUs against each other?

I'm more curious what the new MacBook Pros GPU performance is comparatively.

Assuming the 455, it'll be unworkable for games unless you drive the resolution way down and/or play older games. Assuming it doesn't thermally throttle (and Macs tend to) it'll perform similarly to a R7 250X. In nVidia language that's roughly on-par with a mid-range 2011 card (GTX 460). or a 750(non-Ti).
The 460 is non-trivially faster but is an awful value proposition at £180 extra.

I'm not entirely sure why they've bothered.

e: in Windows land the 10x0 mobile cards are now equivalent to the desktop cards.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Micro Center is occasionally in the habit of price-matching online vendors, since Best Buy has started doing it as well.

Oh wow cool. I wish I had know that.

Edit: called my place and they said they'll price match.

:krad:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 29, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, the 960M chips, which are pretty much the bare-minimum for gaming on a laptop, are architecturally 750Tis, a GPU that's nearly three years old at this point (yet still is featured in laptops that cost anywhere from $700-1200, go figure). The 950M should never be considered, since even though it's the same Maxwell-based chip that the 960M is, a lot of manufacturers (like Lenovo) like listing 4GB of buffer...because it's GDDR3, not GDDR5. The 965M never made it into a laptop that retailed for under $1k, which is a pity.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 29, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

gfanikf posted:

Oh wow cool. I wish I had know that.

Microcenter *also* allows you to bicker about price if you're going in with the intention of walking out with all the bits and pieces of a new build. Just walk in with a PCPartPicker printout and start negotiating.

-----

Also, unrelated to the above, simply because I don't want to have three posts chained together, this is the best deal I've seen on an 8GB 480 ($199 after coupon and rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131697

Just be sure your case can fit it, the loving thing is 12.2" long.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 29, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Microcenter *also* allows you to bicker about price if you're going in with the intention of walking out with all the bits and pieces of a new build. Just walk in with a PCPartPicker printout and start negotiating.

:stare:

I really really wish I had known this the past few years....but oh well luckily I didn't make any big buys. Now to do some price compares and get a 1060 and a ssd.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

gfanikf posted:

:stare:

I really really wish I had known this the past few years....but oh well luckily I didn't make any big buys. Now to do some price compares and get a 1060 and a ssd.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1q9lm0/for_those_in_the_neighborhood_of_a_microcenter/

As for the SSD, go with an 850 EVO or a Sandisk X400. The SSD thread doesn't recommend anything else.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 29, 2016

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Saukkis posted:

What monitor and resolution are you currently using and do you consider the text size too small? The monitor you chose is still only 1080p and with two of them you will end up turning your head a lot. Your applications will end up spread quite wide.

There were a few monitor suggestions after my last post but I impulsively pulled the pin already. I was actually conflating monitors with TVs and presuming bigger = better but you're probably right about turning my head a lot

That said, in addition to gaming, my other use for the computer is statistical research where I need to have very large statistical spreadsheets with very small numbers open on one screen while I'm typing a manuscript on the other screen so applications open wide will help with this a great deal. If they are too big, though, I can always go back and get something smaller in the future.

Also I got the 3000MHz RAM, thanks for the catch and PM!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

audio normally doesn't need that much power. what kind of hellish effects chains are you running?

This is the part where I mention that Devin Townsend is my idol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvCwvfGJq_k

In reality, I can only play\record bass and guitar. So everything is a virtual instrument. That poo poo adds up amazingly quickly. Especially when you (poorly) add mastering plugins.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice I got. I think I'm either just getting an SSD or getting an SSD and a 3gb or 4gb to act as a place holder. Considering how long a 460 work for my needs and standards, if I can get 12 to 18 months of high level settings until moving to medium or low, then I'll be fine with that.

Anyway thanks again.

EDIT: Or maybe I'll just get the 6gb graphics card because I'm horrible at making these choices. :v:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 30, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Wow, just finished installing the Noctua NH-U14S and my CPU temps went from mid to high 50C to mid 30C.

I now know why I was running at mid to high 50C at idle. I think there was a slow leak from the Corsair H60 loop because when I shake the whole thing it sounds like it's 50% empty. Thank god I started looking into this before my CPU fried itself. I am never touching another liquid cooler system ever again.

Now that I've gotten the CPU heat issue out of the way I'm going to go buy an EVGA 1070 tomorrow!

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 30, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wound up getting the MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Overclocked 4GB GDDR5. For the $150 I paid I think it will serve my needs fine and I can also retire the 94°C peaking GTX 460 which has served me well. I'll get the SSD sometime next week. Initial reviews seemed good and while it's brand new I can easily return it if I don't like it. It's going to be fun going from low to ultra on games.

Also time to rip and tear with Doom.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

gfanikf posted:

Wound up getting the MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Overclocked 4GB GDDR5. For the $150 I paid I think it will serve my needs fine and I can also retire the 94°C peaking GTX 460 which has served me well. I'll get the SSD sometime next week. Initial reviews seemed good and while it's brand new I can easily return it if I don't like it. It's going to be fun going from low to ultra on games.

Also time to rip and tear with Doom.

At 1600x900, going from a GTX 460 to a 1050Ti is going to feel like a monumental jump. That being said, the 1050Ti is a card mostly made for 1080p, so later down the line you'll want to snag one of those. ASUS' IPS 1080p monitors are ~$120-150 on sale now.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 30, 2016

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Serrath posted:

That said, in addition to gaming, my other use for the computer is statistical research where I need to have very large statistical spreadsheets with very small numbers open on one screen while I'm typing a manuscript on the other screen so applications open wide will help with this a great deal. If they are too big, though, I can always go back and get something smaller in the future.

That does sound like a use where higher resolution could be useful, depending on how much of the spreadsheet you would like to see at the same time. I wouldn't advocate getting a smaller size, but a higher resolution. Those monitors have a 1920x1080 resolution, but nowadays 27" monitors with 2560x1440 resolution are widely available. Of course the price jumps quite a bit. Alternatively if 1080p is enough for you, you could save quite a bit of money with smaller monitors.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Saukkis posted:

That does sound like a use where higher resolution could be useful, depending on how much of the spreadsheet you would like to see at the same time. I wouldn't advocate getting a smaller size, but a higher resolution. Those monitors have a 1920x1080 resolution, but nowadays 27" monitors with 2560x1440 resolution are widely available. Of course the price jumps quite a bit. Alternatively if 1080p is enough for you, you could save quite a bit of money with smaller monitors.

Yeah, his needs would be suited by a 60Hz 29" 2560x1080 Ultrawide or a 60Hz 2560x1440. Either will take up way less desk real estate than twin 1080s.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

zergstain posted:

I don't know if I'll actually buy anything, but I thought I would test the waters. I wouldn't be buying for a month or 2 either way. I've been sorta gaming on my MacBook Pro with the 650m GPU, and I'm looking to upgrade. The other option I'm considering is the brand new MacBook Pro with an eGPU. I'm not willing to give up on macOS, so one caveat is that I can't sell my laptop to cover the price if I go this route.

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
What's the lowest I can get everything I ask for? I'd need keyboard + mouse + monitor + headset.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I was thinking 2560x1440. Either that, or buy a 3840x2160 display, and run games at a lower resolution, but the desktop at full res with 200% scaling in Windows. I'm hoping to max out GTA 5, what frame rates could I get with a 1070?

I was thinking of an mITX mobo + case with 802.11ac, and an NVMe SSD, maybe 128 GB + 1 TB SATA HD. I don't know I care that much about overclocking, so maybe a i5-6500 or i5-6600. 16 GB of DDR4 RAM should be plenty as well.

I'm also hoping for something VR ready, though it might be a year or 2 before I buy a VR headset.

I was either missed, or this was a lovely post. Anyway, I had a go at pcpartpicker.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($286.74 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Plextor M8Pe 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.74 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($538.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($68.39 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($114.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1556.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 22:29 EDT-0400

Mostly I tried to balance rating and price.

I started with the i5-6600, since I don't think I care enough about overclocking to pay extra for the privilege. I don't know if I should go with the 6600K just for the higher base clock, or even the i7-6700.

I'm not sure about the motherboard either. I think for some of them, pcpartpicker will say there's an m.2 slot, but it will be taken by the wifi card, which I require. Reviews seem to indicate I might be fine.

That leaves monitor, keyboard, mouse, and headset. I don't think I'm going to be able to decide between 144hz 1080p, or 60hz 1440p without going to a store and trying them out. I think 144hz 1440p will be too expensive for me. I could also maybe do 4k60, but run the demanding games at lower resolution. I don't know if that's a good idea so I'm posting here. I'm not sure where to start with the remaining peripherals, just that if I do this, I'd rather spend a max of $500 including the monitor, and I have an MX Anywhere 2 mouse that I've been using with my laptop. I might want something bigger for my main desktop mouse though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

As was the case with Serrath - there's just not a tremendous amount of logic in pairing a non-K Skylake chip with something as potent as a 1070, especially since you say this build's for "gaming." The reason for this is because a 1070 isn't capped by an overclocked Skylake - and it'll be sorely underutilized by a locked 6600 - you'll definitely feel the 'anemia' in a year or two's worth of time.