Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So is there really any reason right now to use Skyrim SE if you're on PC? It certainly doesn't sound as though the potential gains of a 64-bit DX11 engine have yet translated into real performance improvements.

I imagine the answer to this could be very different in a few months, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

docbeard posted:

So is there really any reason right now to use Skyrim SE if you're on PC? It certainly doesn't sound as though the potential gains of a 64-bit DX11 engine have yet translated into real performance improvements.

Curiosity. Achievement Completion. Bandwagon jumping?

So for the normal person, not particularly. Come back in like, a year or so.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

docbeard posted:

I've been giggling over Bethesda upscaling their textures and calling 4k as if they're a modder who just read the baby's first GIMP tutorial. But the base SE game does look a bit prettier and ran smoothly on my machine. Then again other people have been reporting lots of stability and/or performance issues. So if you got the SE for free, test it and see in which camp you fall.

If you're planning a playthrough, it is probably best to wait a couple of months though. Especially if you still have a modded setup of OldSkyrim that you're happy with. As is always the case with a new release, it's going to take a while for things to stabilize in the modding community. Right now one of the problems is people blindly copying over their mod from OldSkyrim. For example like this guy.. At least he owned up to when called out for it. But the new CK comes next week, could you really not wait a couple of days for those precious Nexus endorsements?
Its like modders using xSnip despite knowing perfectly well that it can cause problems all over again.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 29, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
From what I understand SE has far more technical potential in modding but as a game on it's own right it's grossly underwhelming.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Keep in mind that SKSE, as it exists now, took about 3 years to reach its current state, and that the SKSE SE is basically starting from scratch.

That said, Ordinator is a drat nice perk mod, and that hacked version or SkyUI worked okay for the little bit I screwed around with it.
No perk for permanent mage armor in ordinator though =(

Guess I could copy that over from SPERG since I think that should be a scriptless effect.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

A have a fix for the cut off UI stuff when running on triple screens?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The textures aren't great, but I like the lighting improvements without having to gently caress around with ENB and the like. It performs pretty well for me even though I'm running an 8 year old CPU.

I'm glad there's at least a temporary fix for SkyUI, that's the one mod that I consider absolutely required. God the default UI is rear end on a stick.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

docbeard posted:

Stability: Game runs more stable out of the box.

Performance: the game DOES run better. It's a tough comparison, because the settings don't allow for a 1:1 comparison, but despite having more features enabled SE runs better while looking better. Comparing vanilla.

If neither of these are a concern, or you grossly favor mods, then SE offers you nothing atm. Check back in a month.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So, Ordinator. How overpowered does your character get with it when compared go SPERG? I'll be playing on Master difficulty from the get-go. Also, do you need additional mods to make destruction magic viable?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scyantific posted:

Anyone aware if Chesko is working on SSE versions of his survival mods? I'm at the point where that sort of stuff feels like a native feature instead of a mod.

Yeah, it's there and having it inside the game via the mod interface feels really good.

I'm really liking the SE, even the jank feels ok, like coming home.

How do I get skyui working?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Good lord, all the mods I just downloaded are arthmoor. :| We get oblivion gates yet?

Yep, as a standalone mod in the in game mod list lol

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sebmojo posted:

And in Open Cities. Everything old is new again, including the lovely parts of modding Skyrim. Especially the lovely parts.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Palladium posted:

From what I understand SE has far more technical potential in modding but as a game on it's own right it's grossly underwhelming.

Can we finally install mods mid playthrough?

Because not being able to safely do that is the bane of many of my playthroughs.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I saw that and thought "Haha, someone's making fun of Arthmoor already". Then I checked and nope, he's just that delusional.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Behippo posted:

The truth is that this is somewhere in between Skyrim and Fallout 4. Parts of the engine have been updated to match Fallout 4 (graphics engine, 64-bit, etc.) Basically all of their games are the same core engine which gets improved/modified with each release. But where Fallout 4 used ActionScript 3 and an updated Papyrus scripting engine, Skyrim SE uses the old UI and Papyrus engine from Skyrim (to do otherwise would require rewriting all the scripts and the UI.)

In either case there is a lot of work to do for us. Even within a single game there are lots of things to update with each new build. Memory addresses and offsets change, functions can behave differently, classes can get data added or removed, classes and form types can appear or disappear. Between games you don't even have the basics you can depend upon. With each new game we have to find all of the relevant and important bits and update our internal code to match the new realties.

The jump to the F4 64-bit engine was really big. We haven't really got real script extending working for F4SE yet (in part due to real life concerns). We are expecting there to be a similar big jump for the Special Edition. While in general we have a sense for the large subsystems are which ought to be closer to Skyrim and F4, until we look at the nitty gritty details we simply won't know.

Add to this the fact that Bethesda again released the game in a psuedo-debug mode with a big extra jump table in between all of the functions, and anything we do right this moment will have to be redone as soon as they release a fix. They know about this - but who knows when they will have an update. Next week? Next month?

We'll start investigating, but this is going to take some serious effort and time to get done. There is a ton of functionality in SKSE. We won't get it all implemented at once for the Special Edition. Expect early versions for the Special Edition to have a lot less functionality. And no ETA at all for when we'll have anything to show.
So yeah, it's basically what we expected. The SE-SKSE is going to take quite some time.

Archonex posted:

Can we finally install mods mid playthrough?
Because not being able to safely do that is the bane of many of my playthroughs.
I assume you meant uninstalling mods?
Nothing has changed, that can depending on the mod in question still cause problems. Just like it does in every Bethesda-engine game.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 29, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
4.5 stars. Well I guess if you're down to download it, you're the target audience.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
I wish he would make it compatible with Open Cities, which is a completely unrelated mod.
Btw Open CIties runs great on the SE, getting a constant 60fps everywhere. I would fps drops into the 20's on the old version.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gasman posted:

I wish he would make it compatible with Open Cities, which is a completely unrelated mod.
Btw Open CIties runs great on the SE, getting a constant 60fps everywhere. I would fps drops into the 20's on the old version.

you just know he typed each letter of that sentence with trembling hands and slitted eyes.

Will Sky UI work on the SE version, in part at least? i'm enjoying coming back, but the vanilla interface is too bad to use even ironically.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Has Shutup Milmulnir been ported yet? Because Arthmoor's terrible voice acting really is worth its own patch.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Has Shutup Milmulnir been ported yet? Because Arthmoor's terrible voice acting really is worth its own patch.

It's still loving hilarious to me that he did that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Gonkish posted:

Same, so out of place and perfectly encapsulates 'Arthmoor' in how proud of himself and totally out of touch and how he has a complete lack of taste.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

First thing I'll do once the CK is released.

Gonkish posted:

As funny as Mirmulnir's voice or the oblivion gates are, I still think peak-Arthmoor was him deciding that the Female PC's ad-libbed lines in FO4 were a bug that needed fixing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

As funny as Mirmulnir's voice or the oblivion gates are, I still think peak-Arthmoor was him deciding that the Female PC's ad-libbed lines in FO4 were a bug that needed fixing.

...what?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Also I loving love that his description of the gates thing is "adding back atmosphere Bethesda left out," like whoa guys, Arthmoor has put you on notice for neglecting to include this dumb crazy bullshit.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

OK, this is kinda interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EjcESYIXk

tl,dw:

1. "Rain occlusion" built in, obviating the need for the Real Shelter mod.
2. No more z-fighting!
3. 64-bit = more memory = less crashing, ok pretty straightforward. But, this allows for many more active NPCs at once. Inevitability of a Dynasty Warriors mod for Skyrim confirmed.
4. Water actually flows in the proper direction and around obstacles (still kinda looks crap to me).
5. HOLY poo poo YOU CAN LOOT THE TORTURER'S HOOD IN THE INTRO SEQUENCE???

Jack Ratigan
Jan 26, 2005

...Ok
I have no idea why Arthmoor puts gates in Open Cities. There are two of the things just chilling in Whiterun, being conspicuous.

At least you only hear, "Dohvakin? NoOOoOOo!" once. :v:

I also have no idea why they bother me so much.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

you just know he typed each letter of that sentence with trembling hands and slitted eyes.

Will Sky UI work on the SE version, in part at least? i'm enjoying coming back, but the vanilla interface is too bad to use even ironically.

SkyUI - this seems to work fine, just the inventory and shopkeeper menus.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

1. "Rain occlusion" built in, obviating the need for the Real Shelter mod.

This is a big one, and the functionality is already incorporated into the Special Edition Frostfall (I think... I'm pretty sure it is). At any rate, some of the most fun I've had with skyrim was when I got frostfall and Real Shelter going together, and would find myself ducking under awnings or other cover perfectly naturally and without realizing except for the few times where I would need to sit there longer to actually dry off before starting off on a longer leg. In those cases I'd have the chance to laugh at what I was doing, but the incentive to slow down and check out things I otherwise might not have given a second glance was nice.

Eventually I had to ditch Real Shelter for compatibility trying other mods or whatever, so it's really great to see "it" is just now part of the engine, and isn't so much of a hack job...

now I just need True Storms to get ported so the rain weather actually looks significant enough to seek cover from.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

...what?
In FO4 the voice actress for the female PC - Courtenay Taylor - ad libbed some lines while recording and Bethesda kept some of that and put it in the game. Only in some cases (or all, I'm not sure) those ad-libs didn't have subtitles or lip-sync. So it was reported as a bug to the UF4P. They then edited the voice file and cut the ad-libbed bits out.
People immediately complained because those ad-libs were neat. But since Arthmoor is incapable admitting he's wrong about something, he dug his heels in the sand until someone provided "proof" that the ad-libs were intentionally left in by Bethesda.

Jack Ratigan posted:

I also have no idea why they bother me so much.
Because they're really low quality? Because that's my problem with them.
The Mirmulnir voice is this guy trying to do a deep bass voice which he can't do, nor does he seem to have the equipment to properly record it.

And the Oblivion gates could have been a fine mod if they were placed in a few remote areas (as something neat for the player to stumble over) and the actual model & texture weren't lovely. Instead Arthmoor decided to place them in locations that make no sense whatsover and where the low quality of gates' model sticks out like a sore thumb.
And if that wasn't bad enough, Arthmoor pretends he knows TES lore better then Bethesda. But we back in Oblivion we clearly saw a gate crumbling until nothing but some wreckage remained when it was closes. So why the gently caress is that gate he placed in Whiterun completely intact?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

GunnerJ posted:

2. No more z-fighting!

You mean I may have to try punching and kicking?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

And if that wasn't bad enough, Arthmoor pretends he knows TES lore better then Bethesda. But we back in Oblivion we clearly saw a gate crumbling until nothing but some wreckage remained when it was closes. So why the gently caress is that gate he placed in Whiterun completely intact?

Funny you should mention "thinks he knows better than Bethesda"...

Arthmoor posted:

While the gates in TES4 were shown to collapse into their debris piles, the only known reason for why the physical parts vanished is because that's just how the animation was done. All gates used the same resource file so they all collapse the same way. Further, the gates that you as the player close down are done via removal of the sigil stone power source. So when those close, they're doing so under a controlled set of conditions and the physical portal withdraws as per whatever designed system the Daedra use for that.

When Martin pulls the Akatosh avatar bit at the end of TES4, whatever gates were standing open would have had their dimensional bridge abruptly severed, and I believe that would result in the physical manifestation remaining behind since it was NOT properly shut down. The end result of this should logically have been a series of gates still standing but with no portal. This was limited by how the scripting works to call their shutdown code though. All it did was instruct every gate to run the reverse animation. The code was also supposed to have caused all the debris everywhere to vanish as well but that doesn't happen, nobody reported it as a bug, and Bethesda didn't care enough to fix it.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

5. HOLY poo poo YOU CAN LOOT THE TORTURER'S HOOD IN THE INTRO SEQUENCE???

Whoa, that wasn't always in the game? :stare: I thought something felt off when I looted it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wait Arthmoor voice acted the dragon himself?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Smol posted:

Yes. Even worse, he posted it on the Internet. Now it will never truly die.

In better news, the above mention about NPC count made me think: ASIS is going to be absolutely nuts in SE when/if it ever gets working. I'm going full Magnificent Seven as soon as the mod scene is somewhat stable. :black101:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Smol posted:

for maximum immersion

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Smol posted:

No. Someone who goes by Euther did.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Holy poo poo, I had forgotten how stupid the vanilla UI was. Thank you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Thank Christ. SMIM got ported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ikr.

tell me if you work out how to use the controller in skyUI to give stuff to your followers. Lydia needs to get pimped.

e; putting frostfall, wet and cold, and I need in the opening mod lineup was good and tasteful

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 30, 2016