Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

haha yeah man the GOP is so incompetent and sucks at everyth-

oh.

There's a reason that the first thing Obama said he'd dedicate himself to after he gets out of office is addressing gerrymandering. It's easy to win when you rig the system and cheat. Take that away and the Republicans become a lot more hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Inglonias posted:

Is it arzying if my worry is "What if this stupid bullshit gridlock doesn't end ever?"

No. That's a normal, realistic worry.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Inglonias posted:

Is it arzying if my worry is "What if this stupid bullshit gridlock doesn't end ever?"

It's not going to end anytime soon, so worrying about it probably isn't good for your health tbh

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Inglonias posted:

The GOP (at least as it is composed ideologically today) is demographically doomed. If you want to be pessimistic, you might grumble that the old white Boomer fucks wont die out until 2030 or so, but its not forever.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Inglonias posted:

You can't maintain gridlock to that degree forever without destroying the country. So don't worry, it'll end someday, one way or another

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Mr.Radar posted:

I think that this week's episode of This American Life is worth a listen for anyone who reads this thread. It's about the future of the GOP and they take an in-depth look at Minnesota's 6th congressional district (which you may know as Michelle Bachmann's former district) and the growing tensions in it regarding immigrants and Muslims both in general and within the local GOP specifically. (If you want to skip that song at the beginning of the episode after the introduction skip ahead to 13:30.)

:stare:

Ok:

The Statue of Liberty posted:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I'll not apologize for being cheesy, if you've got the time, listen to this. pro-est click.

As someone who was pretty much raised by wolves, and has been without a home before, the grace given by strangers is the only reason I post here and make my lovely jokes, with too many smilies.
MOTHER OF EXILES. That has always meant so much, struck me hard. Turning away people who require help, serious help, is beyond abysmal if the reason is "I'm scared, they're different!" :ohdear:

sry.

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 30, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In different news a new poll has Hillary up +4 in Alaska.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In different news a new poll has Hillary up +4 in Alaska.

Clinton 47 (+4)
Trump 43
Johnson 7
Stein 3

unrated on 538. Obviously conducted before the email poo poo.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
This isn't obviously bullshit. No, I'm not expecting Clinton to win that state, but Alaskan Republicans aren't like Republicans in the midwest or the deep south. They are their own weird breed.

On one end they give us Palin, but on the other end they often have a live and let live libertarian streak that sometimes wakes up and elects a loving write-in candidate over a tea party guy. Trump is the kind of candidate who would be repulsive to the Alaska GOP.

edit: wouldn't it be hilarious if the nightmare map with the Maine district and NH falls to Trump, we all get drunk and go to bed, only to wake up and discover that Alaska saved the world? lol

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Complaint Compilation posted:

:stare:

Ok:

I'll not apologize for being cheesy, if you've got the time, listen to this. pro-est click.

As someone who was pretty much raised by wolves, and has been without a home before, the grace given by strangers is the only reason I post here and make my lovely jokes, with too many smilies.
MOTHER OF EXILES. That has always meant so much, struck me hard. Turning away people who require help, serious help, is beyond abysmal if the reason is "I'm scared, they're different!" :ohdear:

sry.

See, this is why I get so worked up over the lastest examples of the GOP invoking the ideals the nation was supposedly founded on to justify some vile hatred, ignorant refusal of facts for profits, or just plain old naked scam. These are ideals that I actually like. I really do believe in the idea that we could live up to them and make something great, so hearing such miserable bastards tarnish them solely to line their own pockets and excuse the blood on their hands burns me up like nothing else.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Northjayhawk posted:

edit: wouldn't it be hilarious if the nightmare map with the Maine district and NH falls to Trump, we all get drunk and go to bed, only to wake up and discover that Alaska saved the world? lol

Don't even joke about that poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ogmius815 posted:

This is true but you can't get this thread to acknowledge it. Any news that isn't good for Hillary is aggressively batted down.

Seriously, Chicken Little, go pop a couple Xanax and have a coma until Election Day before you blow a blood vessel getting worked up over poo poo that doesn't matter.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mulva posted:

There's a reason that the first thing Obama said he'd dedicate himself to after he gets out of office is addressing gerrymandering. It's easy to win when you rig the system and cheat. Take that away and the Republicans become a lot more hosed.

GOP is kicking the poo poo out of democrats in the governor's mansions too so it's really dumb to put GOP state-level dominance down just to gerrymandering

in other news, everyone can relax now, the emails are officially a non-issue

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/792569285927399424

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Thank god.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

GOP is kicking the poo poo out of democrats in the governor's mansions too so it's really dumb to put GOP state-level dominance down just to gerrymandering

Bill Kristol is an exquisite twitter troll and is in fact a good follow.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Imagine if Alaska prevented Trump from winning the presidency

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Speaking of Comey why the gently caress can't anyone touch him again? Why can he not be fired or forced to resign from his position of head of the FBI? It's not like Stalin didn't have the power to potentially fire and execute Lavrentiy Beria...

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Grouchio posted:

Speaking of Comey why the gently caress can't anyone touch him again? Why can he not be fired or forced to resign from his position of head of the FBI? It's not like Stalin didn't have the power to potentially fire and execute Lavrentiy Beria...

Because it looks bad! We all know the Republicans won't cooperate with President Clinton if she fires Comey!

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Geostomp posted:

See, this is why I get so worked up over the lastest examples of the GOP invoking the ideals the nation was supposedly founded on to justify some vile hatred, ignorant refusal of facts for profits, or just plain old naked scam. These are ideals that I actually like. I really do believe in the idea that we could live up to them and make something great, so hearing such miserable bastards tarnish them solely to line their own pockets and excuse the blood on their hands burns me up like nothing else.

Money aside, the thing that gets me is: "i'll take your exiles if they're white and worship the same god"
But otherwise, gently caress you. :haw:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

straight up brolic posted:

Imagine if Alaska prevented Trump from winning the presidency

I will not.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It's not *just*, but it's a pretty big help as far as the House goes. Once you start knocking out their unfair advantages, they get kicked a lot harder by demographic changes. Sure, they could still get power here or there, and yeah. Lots of even liberal places will elect a Republican governor or mayor. They can't exist as the party of mayors and governors though. They start consistently losing the House, Congress, and White House and they are donezo as a party. And demographic changes seem to suggest that is exactly what is going to happen in the next few decades. Faster if they implode on themselves.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Bill Kristol is an exquisite twitter troll and is in fact a good follow.

nice try bill kristol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grouchio posted:

The dude did his shitpost on Friday, it is probably a good thing that we do not have mechanisms that allow for major government officials to be swiftly removed outside of grotesque malfeasance like if he'd eaten a baby.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

This makes me feel more confident than ever.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/shadihamid/status/792571453854154752

I...
But...
You..
:psyduck:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:stonk: what.
e- are these people real? I'd like to think it's just some evil AI out to discredit twitter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

This isn't obviously bullshit. No, I'm not expecting Clinton to win that state, but Alaskan Republicans aren't like Republicans in the midwest or the deep south. They are their own weird breed.

On one end they give us Palin, but on the other end they often have a live and let live libertarian streak that sometimes wakes up and elects a loving write-in candidate over a tea party guy. Trump is the kind of candidate who would be repulsive to the Alaska GOP.

Is this a real thing that happened?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

reaction: "uhh.... wow. Please lose my number, we can't be friends anymore."

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

The dude did his shitpost on Friday, it is probably a good thing that we do not have mechanisms that allow for major government officials to be swiftly removed outside of grotesque malfeasance like if he'd eaten a baby.

Why do people keep resorting to "eating babies" as the one thing that can sink Trump/Comey/whoever? Is a baby the opposite of a nothingburger?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

"Other people must sacrifice so I can avoid having to live without the horror of a Democrat in office."

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

PhazonLink posted:

Is this a real thing that happened?

Lisa Murkowski got primaried just a few years ago by a crazyass tea party guy because the mainstream republicans got lazy and thought she had it.

They then woke up, organized this herculean write-in campaign where they handed out bracelets with her name so people could remember how to spell it, she ran mock spelling-bee campaign ads to teach voters how to write her in, and they actually loving did it. She won in the general as a write-in.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

The Strong Nation cares not for the dignity of citizens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cult member at airport posted:

Why do people keep resorting to "eating babies" as the one thing that can sink Trump/Comey/whoever? Is a baby the opposite of a nothingburger?
Yeah. Similarly, ten babies is a shellacking, while one hundred nothingburgers is a "not a good look."

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

But didn't it just come out that he had no idea what was in them when he went off and wrote the letter anyway, in spite of FBI protocol and advisement from the DoJ?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

Lisa Murkowski got primaried just a few years ago by a crazyass tea party guy because the mainstream republicans got lazy and thought she had it.

They then woke up, organized this herculean write-in campaign where they handed out bracelets with her name so people could remember how to spell it, she ran mock spelling-bee campaign ads to teach voters how to write her in, and they actually loving did it. She won in the general as a write-in.

Oh wow.

Also the bracelets thing sounds like the most loopholest loophole thing ever. But in a good way.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Northjayhawk posted:

Oh, the Alaskan Republicans are the ones that support Instant Runoff Voting, too, alongside several states' Democrat parties. I was wondering about that when I saw that info; the Alaskans being weird but occasionally good would explain it.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Mr.Radar posted:

I think that this week's episode of This American Life is worth a listen for anyone who reads this thread. It's about the future of the GOP and they take an in-depth look at Minnesota's 6th congressional district (which you may know as Michelle Bachmann's former district) and the growing tensions in it regarding immigrants and Muslims both in general and within the local GOP specifically. (If you want to skip that song at the beginning of the episode after the introduction skip ahead to 13:30.)

Yeah I listened to it earlier but honestly not much new in there. Who here didn't know that the #1 reason most people vote R is because they want non-whites out of their neighborhoods/schools/counties/states and now country?

Tons and tons of white people who vote republican are on government assistance. They just vote R because they don't want minorities getting any.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Neeksy posted:

But didn't it just come out that he had no idea what was in them when he went off and wrote the letter anyway, in spite of FBI protocol and advisement from the DoJ?

Nah, that was known by this time last night.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Northjayhawk posted:

That's not happening. But imagine this instead: Utah goes McMullen(or Hillary), Arizona goes Hillary, and we wake up the next day to find Texas and Georgia are still counting while Alaska is Blue.

Geostomp posted:

Sadly the conflict between the ideal of the country and xenophobic assholes scared of all those different than themselves dates back to the start of the nation. The Alien and Sedition are the things Donny's dreams are made of(with a little gold, marble, and Ivanka thrown in). Adams passed that poo poo.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It is a product of gerrymandering. If Democrats outnumber Republicans, or have general parity, but are gerrymandered into non competitive districts it discourages turnout. It also hampers the ability of the minority party to field viable candidates to take on Statewide elections, as the bench is severely lacking in experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Nessus posted:

How could HIllary have possibly not known that Weiner would be a sex freak and that Abedin might marry him and then write an email? Can we afford to have a President who is NOT the Kwisatz Haderach?

Women can only be Bene Gesserit you dumb gently caress

• Locked thread