Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thwomp posted:

That's the jist of Apple's "Live" function. Any apps that allow you to access a live broadcast stream will appear here with, i believe, what their currently showing.

Empress Brosephine posted:

thats cool, now let me hook up my DirecTV account so ican incorporate it all

Yeah, virtually no services give you anything live streaming unless you subscribe to a cable or satellite service. So the handful of things you can get are things like Showtime, ESPN, and one of the major networks. For free you only get news things and QVC.

So right now, I could either use my cable box and get a million things live (because X1 incorporates things like ESPN3 already) or my Apple TV box and get next to nothing. It's all pointless until there's a better deal in place with the industry, but that's seemingly going nowhere.

Xfinity has an app for my phone which is really good, but they're not going to release one for Apple TV because they know people will use it as a bedroom box and not give them $10/mo for another stb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DirecTV has a "app" but yeah its misisng alot of channels, still, enough where if I connected it up it'd be fine.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I dunno just use Sling (or Playstation Vue if it finally makes it to the AppleTV)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The two channels I most want (USA and ESPN) are in different Sling packages and it would cost me more to cancel my TV subscription and get that than to carry on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

The two channels I most want (USA and ESPN) are in different Sling packages and it would cost me more to cancel my TV subscription and get that than to carry on.

That is so idiotic. I don't know if it's just my region, but you have to choose between an "orange" or a "blue" package. Which means I get a choice between Fox Sports channels or ESPN channels, but not both.

So, I just use PS Vue. I just wish they would hurry with the Apple TV app. Using a game controller as a remote sucks and the FireTV user interface is an unholy mess.

jungn
Mar 19, 2012
Anyone know if they are going to open the API for the TV app so apps like Plex are visible in this super guide. That would be pretty amazing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I assume we'll learn more once the beta of the next tvOS update goes up on the dev portal.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Anyone else using the NHL gamecenter app on the AppleTV 4 no longer able to seek during live games? It let's me skip backwards and forwards in 10 second increments but that's it, no rewinding, no seeking, and Siri's playback control doesn't work

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Empress Brosephine posted:

My complaint with STB has always been theres no "just play something" option. That's all i want. Give me a "just play something" button and let me choose a genre and then play something anything. I don't know why no one has done this yet.

WWE Network has a live feed and programing schedule, which is nice. They often debut shows at a specific day/time, and then they go on demand immediately after. Makes i nice for watching together in live threads.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

tofes posted:

Anyone else using the NHL gamecenter app on the AppleTV 4 no longer able to seek during live games? It let's me skip backwards and forwards in 10 second increments but that's it, no rewinding, no seeking, and Siri's playback control doesn't work

This happens to me too, and it really sucks because other than that the new app is pretty great.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So I'm considering picking up an Apple TV in the near future. My wife and I don't get cable tv but pay for Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon, and use chromecast for everything. I got the chromecast when I was using an android phone, and things don't work nearly as well on our iPhones. So if I suddenly have to pause YouTube or whatever, half the time the chromecast has to reconnect to the phone, load up, etc...

Anyway most of the ATV reviews or comparisons I can find are from months ago; what's the state of the system these days? I'm looking for actual user thoughts on the system as it stands now, and whether or not it would be a worthwhile purchase for us.

Also, a specific question. I know there's no Amazon Video app, but how well does airplay work? Does it time out if I lock my phone, can I continue using my phone while I'm airplaying, etc...?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I have an Atv 3. Airplay works very well. Streaming continues when the phone is locked. I have not checked everything, but I seem to be able to do a lot of other things while AirPlaying (e.g. Check emails, browse Safari, check notifications, send texts). For info, when you do other stuff, you can get back to the air playing app on the phone by getting to the media controls (swipe up for control center, swipe right to media controls) and tapping the app there. There may be an easier way, not sure about that.

E: another small thing, you can use the Apple TV remote to pause/scrub whatever you're airplaying,

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 30, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ManSedan posted:

So I'm considering picking up an Apple TV in the near future. My wife and I don't get cable tv but pay for Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon, and use chromecast for everything. I got the chromecast when I was using an android phone, and things don't work nearly as well on our iPhones. So if I suddenly have to pause YouTube or whatever, half the time the chromecast has to reconnect to the phone, load up, etc...

Anyway most of the ATV reviews or comparisons I can find are from months ago; what's the state of the system these days? I'm looking for actual user thoughts on the system as it stands now, and whether or not it would be a worthwhile purchase for us.

Also, a specific question. I know there's no Amazon Video app, but how well does airplay work? Does it time out if I lock my phone, can I continue using my phone while I'm airplaying, etc...?

No, you cannot continue using your phone while airplaying Amazon Video or anything else that requires Airplay Mirroring to work. Other things, like xfinity player, outright block Airplay mirroring, so it could be worse. That being said, it's a nice device, but if Amazon is a large source of your entertainment you may be better suited by a FireTV stick.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I have an Atv 3. Airplay works very well. Streaming continues when the phone is locked. I have not checked everything, but I seem to be able to do a lot of other things while AirPlaying (e.g. Check emails, browse Safari, check notifications, send texts). For info, when you do other stuff, you can get back to the air playing app on the phone by getting to the media controls (swipe up for control center, swipe right to media controls) and tapping the app there. There may be an easier way, not sure about that.

E: another small thing, you can use the Apple TV remote to pause/scrub whatever you're airplaying,

You're talking about things like YouTube and Dailymotion, where the airplay logo shows up on the video itself as it's playing. Not things like Amazon Video and many other provider apps where Airplay Mirroring is necessary.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right, AirPlay and AirPlay mirroring are different.

But in this case, the iOS Amazon Video app supports AirPlay.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Right, AirPlay and AirPlay mirroring are different.

But in this case, the iOS Amazon Video app supports AirPlay.

I just tried it before making my post, option wasn't available nor had it been in the past. Today, it's here. I'm so confused.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When I tried it, the option wasn't available until after the video's initial advertisement was done. Maybe that was it?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I was confused by that statement because Amazon is actually the absolute best AirPlay experience of any app hands down. They even have that cool feature where the screen of the streaming device (iPhone, iPad, etc) has the headshot and name of each actor in any given scene along with trivia that coincides with each scene. I don't think it works for every single thing they stream but definitely bigger movies and obviously the Amazon originals.

In short: the Apple TV 4 is a great experience for streaming amazon videos, about as good as it gets without being a native app to the ATV.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
From a performance standpoint is the Apple TV 4 weak in terms of its components when it comes to gaming? Every single game I've ever played on the Apple TV ranges from "this is worse than an iPhone or iPad in terms of performance" to "Holy poo poo this is a stuttering broken mess!"

Horizon Chase is the latest. It stutters and jitters, and it even just freezes up and stops responding to any input forcing a force-quit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's essentially an iPhone 6 with less throttling running at 1080p, so if you've been using newer iPhones then it'll seem less powerful

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

It's essentially an iPhone 6 with less throttling running at 1080p, so if you've been using newer iPhones then it'll seem less powerful

Yeah but I mean... I don't really recall ANY iPhone games performing this lovely on any iPhones in the last 5 years. But every Apple TV game feels like a lovely subpar port. Like the ATV4 just can't keep up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apparently Apple quietly flipped the switch for single sign-on tonight:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/03/single-sign-on-now-available/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Very limited selection, but promising.

Now, just get PS Vue in there. I hate having to log into each channel offering individually.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So that's why my Apple TV kept rebooting? It says v10.0.1 but I wasn't sure if that was new.

HBO Go has been playing up all day, can't tell if it's down to that or my internet connection being an rear end. It's a borrowed login from the in-laws so I hope it recovers, or I'll have to take the box to their house as I don't know their actual cable logins (neither do they, naturally).

E: oh that's 10.1, I guess it definitely is unrelated.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Feenix posted:

Yeah but I mean... I don't really recall ANY iPhone games performing this lovely on any iPhones in the last 5 years. But every Apple TV game feels like a lovely subpar port. Like the ATV4 just can't keep up.

The only issue I have is spotty controller support. For some reason, it decides that certain buttons actually mean "return to home screen." It usually is fixed by re-pairing though. I don't really play many games or anything more intensive than ducktales or NecroDancer though

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not available in Canada. I'd be disappointment if I hadn't come to expect this from literally every cool thing Apple has done.

edit: Judging from my iPhone and iPad which have no sign on section in Settings, I mean. I didn't actually check my ATV this morning.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Not available in Canada. I'd be disappointment if I hadn't come to expect this from literally every cool thing Apple has done.

edit: Judging from my iPhone and iPad which have no sign on section in Settings, I mean. I didn't actually check my ATV this morning.

According to the article it's only available fir developer accounts running tvOS 10.1 beta and tvOS 10.2 beta. It's not available for the proles yet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is the Trailers app on the ATV4 working for other people? It just bails the second I touch it, persisting past reboot. I'm still having internet issues so I can't tell if it's me or not, but 'movies' etc works fine. Am on latest public tvOS.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Martytoof posted:

Maybe someday we'll get the News app!

Yes we still don't have that in Canada.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

I wonder if that's a function of how it downloads stuff on-demand. I don't know, I don't play games on my ATV.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is the Trailers app on the ATV4 working for other people? It just bails the second I touch it, persisting past reboot. I'm still having internet issues so I can't tell if it's me or not, but 'movies' etc works fine. Am on latest public tvOS.

Mine is not doing that but it is definitely not functioning properly. Obviously there is some issue.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do I need to buy a 4th generation apple tv to get new streaming channels like the Shout Factory service, or will they continue to make deals to add channels to the home screen that support subscription?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The third generation Apple TV is end of life and doesn't even support Apple Music, so I wouldn't bet on it getting any new services added. I assume that's what you're asking.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I had this same problem. Thought it was a beta thing. Just remove and reinstall the app. That fixed it for me.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is Netflix still not usable in Universal Search? Kind of considering an AppleTV again after the Storybook app got released cause that'd be great for my kid. If I'm not able to search Amazon Video \ Plex \ Netflix, I'll have to wait. :(

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Irritated Goat posted:

Is Netflix still not usable in Universal Search? Kind of considering an AppleTV again after the Storybook app got released cause that'd be great for my kid. If I'm not able to search Amazon Video \ Plex \ Netflix, I'll have to wait. :(

Netflix yes
Plex no. ( not without letting apple see your library)
Amazon no. Jeff bezos wont give permission for apple to have the app. He wants you to buy a firetv.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Cornjob posted:

Netflix yes
Plex no. ( not without letting apple see your library)
Amazon no. Jeff bezos wont give permission for apple to have the app. He wants you to buy a firetv.

:sigh: Guess I'm waiting then. That would've been awesome since we love reading with our boy but can't get paper books yet since he's too little not to rip pages. Ah well. I was kind of hoping to build a setup where we'd have those searchable and buy movies\tv shows from Apple\Amazon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cornjob posted:

It's really odd as Amazon are usually all about getting the service to as many people as possible. I imagine it's more about not wanting people to signup through the ATV app and losing that part of the subscription, as fire tv hardware sales can't be particularly important to them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's really odd as Amazon are usually all about getting the service to as many people as possible. I imagine it's more about not wanting people to signup through the ATV app and losing that part of the subscription, as fire tv hardware sales can't be particularly important to them.

It's real weird, because you can supply the video client without doing your sub services through Apple. I would buy that if they didn't have an iOS client already.

Personally, I think it *is* about moving units of the FireTV since they won't sell AppleTV through Amazon either.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

It's real weird, because you can supply the video client without doing your sub services through Apple. I would buy that if they didn't have an iOS client already.

Personally, I think it *is* about moving units of the FireTV since they won't sell AppleTV through Amazon either.

It's not that weird, the iOS client was developed because not offering it to Apple-stack users was hurting Prime subs. Tons of people have iPhones; tons of people don't have Apple TVs, and those that do are very likely to have iPhones--they already have an avenue to that customer. If creating a tvOS app does not offer them an avenue to new customers, there isn't a great benefit to them--even if there is a great benefit to the few customers it would affect. If more Apple TVs start selling and to people who don't have iPhones or iPads, there's a chance that changes, but that's not going to be soon considering the little attention Apple gives the device and the fact that it is still more of a complement to other Apple devices instead of useful on its own.

Irritated Goat posted:

:sigh: Guess I'm waiting then. That would've been awesome since we love reading with our boy but can't get paper books yet since he's too little not to rip pages. Ah well. I was kind of hoping to build a setup where we'd have those searchable and buy movies\tv shows from Apple\Amazon.

You have invented an impossible scenario for purchasing an Apple TV, the things you want aren't going to happen within the timeframe that your child will enjoy storybooks, let alone the timeframe that he can't be trusted with them. Plex being searchable is unlikely to happen because there isn't a public Siri API for tvOS last I knew, and the private one that is used by HBO Go/Now/etc is based on cloud catalog information and not local catalog information afaik. You could, however, replace plex with an iTunes server. On second thought, I'm not even sure computer libraries come up with a Siri search on tvOS--anyone able to check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Irritated Goat posted:

You know they make board books for really little kids right? Big thick cardboard pages that can't be ripped.