Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Titanfall 2 has a better SP than the new doom, even considering the boring 30 minutes of tutorial walk and talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

The new doom has bad level design and creating a FPS around invincible instakill animations is fundamentally bunk.

In Training posted:

I only played the demo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Titanfall 2 has a better SP than the new doom, even considering the boring 30 minutes of tutorial walk and talk.

i can see how you'd know that from playing a demo yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

The new doom has bad level design and creating a FPS around invincible instakill animations is fundamentally bunk.

The funny thing is that almost nothing you've said here is correct (including the 'invincible install animations" part.)

... also the new Titanfall has monster arenas, melee animations and everything else you've complained about while also being significantly slower than Doom 2016.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you just pulled the first levels from each Titanfall would be way better in every capacity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

If you just pulled the first levels from each Titanfall would be way better in every capacity.

... no?

The first level in Titanfall kind of sucks a lot actually. You don't have access to most of the stuff in the game, it barely even gives you the jump pack. The best Titanfall 2 level is the time travel one midway through the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The funny thing is that almost nothing you've said here is correct (including the 'invincible install animations" part.)

... also the new Titanfall has monster arenas, melee animations and everything else you've complained about while also being significantly slower than Doom 2016.

Ive never seen a melee takedown because you don't have to do them, that's the whole point. You can just run past every encounter except bosses, which is what I've been doing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Ive never seen a melee takedown because you don't have to do them, that's the whole point. You can just run past every encounter except bosses, which is what I've been doing.

Okay? Except TItanfall has multiple areas where you're locked in and forced to fight enemies so this also isn't true? I mean there are parts you can run through and that's cool but there's plenty of monster arenas and poo poo too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The original doom is a timeless classic because it's a puzzle game in disguise, which is how Titanfall functions. You use your movement to zip past the requirements. I'm not saying Titanfall is better than doom (1993), because the only thing better is Quake 1, but it's better than the last 20 years of high budget attempts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Okay? Except TItanfall has multiple areas where you're locked in and forced to fight enemies so this also isn't true? I mean there are parts you can run through and that's cool but there's plenty of monster arenas and poo poo too.

There's only one in the campaign that I've encountered, where they have the pump waiting to fill up stuff, which I didn't like.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nobody played the original Doom by speed running everywhere, they used the keyboard to turn and slowly walked through it like it was a survival horror game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the best first person shooter is clearly the dungeon areas from the super nintendo Jurassic Park.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

good news, they didnt do that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

There's only one in the campaign that I've encountered, where they have the pump waiting to fill up stuff, which I didn't like.

There are multiple areas where you're either locked into your Titan, forced to fight enemies (including the boss fights so your mention of 'only encountered one' is pretty lol) or have to kill everyone in the room to proceed. I guess in one or two areas you can let your NPCs kill enemies if you're patient enough but that isn't particularly 'oh, you can just run past everything!!"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Chex Quest was a good fps

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Willy Wonka v. the Vermicious Knids

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There are multiple areas where you're either locked into your Titan, forced to fight enemies (including the boss fights so your mention of 'only encountered one' is pretty lol) or have to kill everyone in the room to proceed. I guess in one or two areas you can let your NPCs kill enemies if you're patient enough but that isn't particularly 'oh, you can just run past everything!!"

I've inly had this happen to me once in about 2/3rds of the campaign (the aforementioned pump segment)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also bosses don't count. The 2 bosses I've fought are badass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

I've inly had this happen to me once in about 2/3rds of the campaign (the aforementioned pump segment)

Then you're not 2/3rds of the way through or you're forgetting things like the area where you're locked in by a character who specifically wants to experiment on you.

I'm also not sure how you can say boss fights are 'badass' considering that you apparently hate shooting enemies in a FPS and only want a game where you run past all foes.

Edit: Also if you only fought 2 bosses then you're absolutely not 2/3rds of the way through and also only like 2 hours into the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

:frogout:

Buca di Bepis posted:

Nobody played the original Doom by speed running everywhere, they used the keyboard to turn and slowly walked through it like it was a survival horror game

This is actually not true. The ID guys had mice and trackballs and played it fast even during development, before it was released, much less after. Not exactly the level of pro gamers nowadays but not everybody played it like survival horror.

Lots of people played with keyboard only their first go, but Doom was relevant for years; people definitely played it at high speed with mice before Quake came out.

Although funny enough Gabe Newell DID play doom that way, and that's where they got the idea for half-life from.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah sorry there was that second part where you're locked in that holo cell. I'm sorry. I guess I prefer FPS games where it's just fun to move around and gently caress monsters up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Half Life 1 is better than Half Life 2

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

In Training posted:

How abut the beyond epic doom revival where you're a slow FPS guy who walks through 18 monster arenas with locked doors in between story beats and then do cinematic 3rd person invulnerable assassination cutscenes for 70% of he gameplay. A total game changer.

nice meltdown

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Oh yeah sorry there was that second part where you're locked in that holo cell. I'm sorry. I guess I prefer FPS games where it's just fun to move around and gently caress monsters up.

sounds like you want to play smash hit console super-game, SNES jurassic park, in which there are at least two whole different monsters for you to fight in the FPS portions.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it was a mediocre meltdown at best

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

if i play HL 2 now, will it feel super dated? i apparently have it from when i downloaded original portal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

sounds like you want to play smash hit console super-game, SNES jurassic park, in which there are at least two whole different monsters for you to fight in the FPS portions.

I wanna play SNES classic Contra III: The Alien Wars because it's loving awesome

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Those parts are what made me want to rent that game but you had to play through the dumb overhead parts first :mad:

Also the game was crap :saddowns:

In Training posted:

I wanna play SNES classic Contra III: The Alien Wars because it's loving awesome

gently caress, how am I supposed to dismiss your opinions now :argh:

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 30, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Those parts are what made me want to rent that game but you had to play through the dumb overhead parts first :mad:

Also the game was crap :saddowns:

i would say it's the worst game i ever played to completion, just to spite the time we rented it from blockbuster, but drakkhen probably has it beat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

:hellyeah:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Maybe you should stop assuming that everyone who is telling you that Doom is that kind of game is lying then. I mean among other things (I've never played Doom's demo) it probably doesn't actually include the enhanced mobility and movement options you get as you progress in Doom. Likewise the reason why people are telling you that Doom doesn't have insta-kill invincible death animations is because it doesn't. Glory Kills have some I-frames but can only be done on almost-dead enemies (or on literal cannon fodder) and learning when and how to do them to avoid dying horribly is pretty key on the higher difficulty levels. (There's even a rune that lessens the animation length since it is actually a negative to be in Glory Kill animation frames if you're not careful.)

I mean yeah, at its best, Doom 2016 doesn't have as good a mobility option lineup as Titanfall since you can't wall-run but it's absolutely a fast-paced high-mobility game.

Edit: That said Doom 2016's multiplayer is way shittier than Titanfall 2's but everything about Doom 2016's multiplayer is a huge misstep.

Bicyclops posted:

i would say it's the worst game i ever played to completion, just to spite the time we rented it from blockbuster, but drakkhen probably has it beat.

I rented that game like 4 times before I beat it, each time trying to convince myself that it HAD to be good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bicyclops posted:

if i play HL 2 now, will it feel super dated? i apparently have it from when i downloaded original portal.

I think it did a bunch of innovative things, most of which have been done better by more recent games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm moving to a place where i'll have way better internet and I think maybe i'll get titanfall 2...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

HL2 is, I think, a good game but you're not going to have the same feeling a lot of people have about it, both because its flaws will be more apparent and its strengths will feel less original.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe you should stop assuming that everyone who is telling you that Doom is that kind of game is lying then. I mean among other things (I've never played Doom's demo) it probably doesn't actually include the enhanced mobility and movement options you get as you progress in Doom. Likewise the reason why people are telling you that Doom doesn't have insta-kill invincible death animations is because it doesn't. Glory Kills have some I-frames but can only be done on almost-dead enemies (or on literal cannon fodder) and learning when and how to do them to avoid dying horribly is pretty key on the higher difficulty levels. (There's even a rune that lessens the animation length since it is actually a negative to be in Glory Kill animation frames if you're not careful.)

I mean yeah, at its best, Doom 2016 doesn't have as good a mobility option lineup as Titanfall since you can't wall-run but it's absolutely a fast-paced high-mobility game.

Edit: That said Doom 2016's multiplayer is way shittier than Titanfall 2's but everything about Doom 2016's multiplayer is a huge misstep.

I rented that game like 4 times before I beat it, each time trying to convince myself that it HAD to be good.

I guess I was all ready to love doom after all the praise but why would the demo not give me all the mobility options. That was the other part too, in the demo you get to access a Menu that gives you Hella Math Upgrades on a bunch of guns and moves and crap and I immediately gave up on the whole game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mario never gave you 10% to jump height. For color/reference.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

drat, there's another game that dragged me into it's trap of really cool looking FPS box art. Then when you get into a fight :suicide: Also, you'd do some of the most inane poo poo and some monster would pop in from no where and wreck your party's faces. Bump into a tombstone? loving dog head from Hell jumps you. Imagine doing this at a low level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYyhmGionI

Walk along at night, oh weird, that constellation is moving. gently caress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM0YhyGOLpQ

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Who'd you pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also I missed Final Fantasy chat but I'm here to say 9 is the best and I'm sad people never mention it whenever they talk about the other PS1/2 games

• Locked thread