Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Does anyone else think we just have too much drat technology nowadays? And not even good technology, just stupid poo poo. Like why is AOL even a thing? Why are there so many shareware programs? Who cares about the latest IBM clone???? Its all just dumb crap.

I think its because we're living in an age of technological stagnation. We arent getting any real progress in anything important, so all we've got left are PCs and dumb shareware crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

It's because you're getting old, sorry. :(

Yeah but i think everything made within the past 35 years is dumb crap, going back to a few years before I was even born. Basically everything thats been invented in my lifetime is dumb crap that the world didnt need or ask for. Yeah we got video games and internet crap, whoopdie doo. Meanwhile the climate is getting worse and theres no way to stop it.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Blue Star posted:

Yeah but i think everything made within the past 35 years is dumb crap, going back to a few years before I was even born. Basically everything thats been invented in my lifetime is dumb crap that the world didnt need or ask for. Yeah we got video games and internet crap, whoopdie doo. Meanwhile the climate is getting worse and theres no way to stop it.

i dunno man the internet is pretty cool, i'd trade an earth for it

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blue Star posted:

What was invented 36 years ago that was so good and important?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That, also, is typical of Google: solving the technology alone.

Wow that is so profound.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Are you all seriously falling for literally the same troll that previously ravaged this thread?

Now I understand how vc investors get suckered into me too start ups

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

e: do not feed the troll.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 29, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
The problem is that significant scientific advances are not as Sexy as idiotic 6 second videos, dick pics that disappear without a trace or an app that sends the word "bro." The silly stuff gets reported a lot, either to praise or to mock it, and so we don't hear about the important, world changing stuff, unless we follow specific subjects.

So it's not the there aren't amazing new things happening right now, it's that YOU don't know about them.

If we list great recent advancements, what would you list? I'd include HPV vaccine, YouTube, cloud computing, radio on the Internet and emojis (OK, not those last two).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Does anyone else think we just have too much drat technology nowadays? And not even good technology, just stupid poo poo. Like why is AOL even a thing? Why are there so many shareware programs? Who cares about the latest IBM clone???? Its all just dumb crap.

I think its because we're living in an age of technological stagnation. We arent getting any real progress in anything important, so all we've got left are PCs and dumb shareware crap.

Wow a correct opinion in this, the worst thread?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What was invented 36 years ago that was so good and important?

Me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Also a Hepatitis-B vaccine. Apparently.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Non Serviam posted:

The problem is that significant scientific advances are not as Sexy as idiotic 6 second videos, dick pics that disappear without a trace or an app that sends the word "bro." The silly stuff gets reported a lot, either to praise or to mock it, and so we don't hear about the important, world changing stuff, unless we follow specific subjects.

Weird how when people talk about historical culture the cultural stuff is what people talk about and the history of invention is always a side thing, but no one can see cultural trends as anything but stupid and frivolous when it's their own culture.

Like yeah, you can find books about roman's incremental improvements in grain farming, but the number of books about that is infinitesimal compared to "history of rome" books that talk about the political and social trends of rome.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Weird how when people talk about historical culture the cultural stuff is what people talk about and the history of invention is always a side thing, but no one can see cultural trends as anything but stupid and frivolous when it's their own culture.

Like yeah, you can find books about roman's incremental improvements in grain farming, but the number of books about that is infinitesimal compared to "history of rome" books that talk about the political and social trends of rome.

Humans overall place more importance on social things once food is taken care of; that's probably why. It has a lot to do with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, I imagine; plus farming is pretty boring. You plant some things, you do some stuff to the soil, then later bread happens. Pfft, boring...but politics, wow...who the gently caress knows what's going to happen?

Nobody ever got stabbed 37 times over a legal dispute by a loaf of bread.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

So it's not the there aren't amazing new things happening right now, it's that YOU don't know about them.

If we list great recent advancements, what would you list? I'd include HPV vaccine, YouTube, cloud computing, radio on the Internet and emojis (OK, not those last two).

Within the last 35 years, I would list PCR as one of the greatest. So did the Nobel committee who awarded it a Nobel ten years after.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Humans overall place more importance on social things once food is taken care of; that's probably why. It has a lot to do with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, I imagine; plus farming is pretty boring. You plant some things, you do some stuff to the soil, then later bread happens. Pfft, boring...but politics, wow...who the gently caress knows what's going to happen?

One of the most fascinating history books I've ever read is Courtesans and Fishcakes, a book by the historian James L. Davidson. Its subtitles is "The Consuming Passions of Ancient Athens". Half of its focus is on the cultural weight of eating fish (and, obvs, buying sex) and what the attitudes toward fish tell us about the Athenians. For instance, the Athenians had a special word of derision -- used outside the context of eating -- for the kind of person who burns his fingers grabbing fish out of the communal plate, because he's too greedy to wait for it to cool. There are historians who can write engaging and informing books about consumption.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Okay, so then why are purely social technologies in modern times seen as meaningless while "grand and important" technologies are seen as important?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The news stories now from all the big time Vine Stars make it seem like they, the most popular and engaged personalities on the app, saw this coming over a year ago and tried to leverage their star status to force Twitter/Vine to start making changes and roll out new features. It seems like Twitter execs were either incapable of making any of the major changes the app needed or honestly didn't understand their own business model.

For all of the obsession marketing execs and corporate types in general have for "millennial and/or social media stars" when it comes to raising profits, at the end of the day they still treat them like idiot scum who don't know a thing about how to run a business and by god we've done this right for 4 decades how can we be wrong now?

So what happens when Twitter goes up for sale? It's become such an integral part of modern communication that I can't imagine that any national body would be allowed to own it without people flipping the gently caress out but it's probably too expensive for something like a World Wide Web Consortium responsible for maintenance and development of the app.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pentyne posted:

So what happens when Twitter goes up for sale? It's become such an integral part of modern communication that I can't imagine that any national body would be allowed to own it without people flipping the gently caress out but it's probably too expensive for something like a World Wide Web Consortium responsible for maintenance and development of the app.
It's been up for sale for some months, but the buyers are backing away because of the hacking scandal -- if all those accounts are hacked, they lose value to the buyer. Google and Salesforce have both backed away.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's been up for sale for some months, but the buyers are backing away because of the hacking scandal -- if all those accounts are hacked, they lose value to the buyer. Google and Salesforce have both backed away.

Did Twitter not employ 2FA or is it really just that easy to hack someone's social media account?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Non Serviam posted:

Chicken Pox vaccine is a pretty big thing too that most people probably won't think about (because they were infected long before it was invented).

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

pentyne posted:

Did Twitter not employ 2FA or is it really just that easy to hack someone's social media account?

Implementing 2FA is easy, it's getting people to use it when they don't have to that's hard.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

which hacking scandal? You talking about the lady that got bullied? Yeah, if only twitter had done something to stop the trolls, gotta keep those enrollment/engagement numbers up tho.

I do wonder what will replace twitter when it gets turned to MySpace 2.0. Like, will it be a competing service that exists today? Facebook is okay but I use that more for friends and family not hobbies and work stuff. LinkedIn sucks for that cause its mostly marketing/PR/publicist bullshit or 'I'm a thought leader look at me' garbage. I guess back to mailing lists and IRC (or Slack)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

pentyne posted:

The news stories now from all the big time Vine Stars make it seem like they, the most popular and engaged personalities on the app, saw this coming over a year ago and tried to leverage their star status to force Twitter/Vine to start making changes and roll out new features. It seems like Twitter execs were either incapable of making any of the major changes the app needed or honestly didn't understand their own business model.

For all of the obsession marketing execs and corporate types in general have for "millennial and/or social media stars" when it comes to raising profits, at the end of the day they still treat them like idiot scum who don't know a thing about how to run a business and by god we've done this right for 4 decades how can we be wrong now?

Vine always had such a different demographic than every other social network (read: it had women and black people on it prominently), I wonder if twitter execs struggled to deal with a market that didn't seem to fit the market virtually every website has held for the last 20 years. Twitter itself seems less white and male than like reddit (or SA) but vine seemed unique in being the social media network other than pinterest you can't just sit down at the marketing table and say "run an ad for spiderman" and basically have gotten it close enough.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

computer parts posted:

Chicken Pox vaccine is a pretty big thing too that most people probably won't think about (because they were infected long before it was invented).

I found out about this a few weeks ago and it blew my mind. Knowing there's a generation growing up without getting infected by an incredibly common (but hardly fatal) disease just baffles me, it's like someone found a vaccine for the common cold.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I found out about this a few weeks ago and it blew my mind. Knowing there's a generation growing up without getting infected by an incredibly common (but hardly fatal) disease just baffles me, it's like someone found a vaccine for the common cold.

It's amazing, right?! And varicella can be fatal some of the time.

Public Health Agency of Canada says:

quote:

Varicella case fatality rates are highest among adults (30 deaths/100,000 cases), followed by infants under 1 year of age (7 deaths/100,000 cases) and then those aged 1 to 19 years (1-1.5 deaths/100,000 cases

I don't have varicella antibodies and can't have the vaccine, so I rely on herd immunity. Thanks everyone!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Freakazoid_ posted:

You just got my hopes up there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

which hacking scandal? You talking about the lady that got bullied? Yeah, if only twitter had done something to stop the trolls, gotta keep those enrollment/engagement numbers up tho.
I'm talking about the ~32 million accounts whose passwords got hacked.

quote:

I do wonder what will replace twitter when it gets turned to MySpace 2.0. Like, will it be a competing service that exists today? Facebook is okay but I use that more for friends and family not hobbies and work stuff. LinkedIn sucks for that cause its mostly marketing/PR/publicist bullshit or 'I'm a thought leader look at me' garbage. I guess back to mailing lists and IRC (or Slack)
I think the day of new social-media startups has passed; investors' experience has been that very few products, no matter how big their media shares, are actually monetizable, Facebook being the sterling exception. The next big thing, if there is one, is going to be exclusively for cellphones. I think Snapchat is doing okay with their advertising filters, but IDK.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's possible that a relative dearth of big engineering/popular-science style technologies has something to do with shifts in R&D funding and popular fads, but it's also probable that we cherrypick the great treasures of the past and go "Look at all this stuff that happened over the course of the last hundred years. And what's happened in the last five? Pfah."

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Freakazoid_ posted:

It keeps you from getting shingles as an adult.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nessus posted:

It's possible that a relative dearth of big engineering/popular-science style technologies has something to do with shifts in R&D funding and popular fads, but it's also probable that we cherrypick the great treasures of the past and go "Look at all this stuff that happened over the course of the last hundred years. And what's happened in the last five? Pfah."

I think it's more that the fantastic has become commonplace.

Look at the "word lens" feature in google translate. It might as well be literal magic spells. It is unfathomably advanced technology. If you went back 10 years to 2006 there is maybe ten different ways that an app like this would be literally impossible at any cost.

But at the end of the day it's not even that impressive, I had to put word lens in quotes because when google bought the company they dropped the branding and just put it in as a minor free feature in their free google translate app. It's just a natural synthesis of a couple technologies that are already 2 or 3 or 5 years old and the much worse base app is 5 years old already so the whole thing might as well be from dinosaur times. It's barely even impressive anymore, not even impressive enough to get a good name in the app. I bet at least one person reading this has to go look what this feature even does that makes it so neat. While the concept is a thing that we have ascribed as a magical spell since ancient times. We invented a magic spell and don't even care because the parts of it already existed 2 or 3 years ago.

Fantastic stuff comes out so fast now the scale that something has to be new is growing bigger and bigger. I don't even think anyone should go stare at word lens and fall to the ground weeping or anything, it's neat, but it is totally just a side function of the app.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Vine always had such a different demographic than every other social network (read: it had women and black people on it prominently), I wonder if twitter execs struggled to deal with a market that didn't seem to fit the market virtually every website has held for the last 20 years. Twitter itself seems less white and male than like reddit (or SA) but vine seemed unique in being the social media network other than pinterest you can't just sit down at the marketing table and say "run an ad for spiderman" and basically have gotten it close enough.
It's hard to look at https://about.twitter.com/company/press/leadership and not think that this was probably at least part of it. Not saying Jack, Dick, Nathan, Katie, Adam, Adam #2 and other white people names couldn't figure out how to market to young black women, but...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think the day of new social-media startups has passed; investors' experience has been that very few products, no matter how big their media shares, are actually monetizable, Facebook being the sterling exception. The next big thing, if there is one, is going to be exclusively for cellphones. I think Snapchat is doing okay with their advertising filters, but IDK.
We are still fully in Investor Storytime, right? Who are the companies that are actually making money?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

cheese posted:

It's hard to look at https://about.twitter.com/company/press/leadership and not think that this was probably at least part of it. Not saying Jack, Dick, Nathan, Katie, Adam, Adam #2 and other white people names couldn't figure out how to market to young black women, but...

We are still fully in Investor Storytime, right? Who are the companies that are actually making money?
I'm not sure what question you're asking? Google, Facebook, Salesforce, and probably Amazon. (Is Amazon currently profitable? I forget.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it's more that the fantastic has become commonplace.

Look at the "word lens" feature in google translate. It might as well be literal magic spells. It is unfathomably advanced technology. If you went back 10 years to 2006 there is maybe ten different ways that an app like this would be literally impossible at any cost.

But at the end of the day it's not even that impressive, I had to put word lens in quotes because when google bought the company they dropped the branding and just put it in as a minor free feature in their free google translate app. It's just a natural synthesis of a couple technologies that are already 2 or 3 or 5 years old and the much worse base app is 5 years old already so the whole thing might as well be from dinosaur times. It's barely even impressive anymore, not even impressive enough to get a good name in the app. I bet at least one person reading this has to go look what this feature even does that makes it so neat. While the concept is a thing that we have ascribed as a magical spell since ancient times. We invented a magic spell and don't even care because the parts of it already existed 2 or 3 years ago.

Fantastic stuff comes out so fast now the scale that something has to be new is growing bigger and bigger. I don't even think anyone should go stare at word lens and fall to the ground weeping or anything, it's neat, but it is totally just a side function of the app.
Looks like the big problem is it was on Google Glass, whose main market niche was SF techlords and the Frieza Force

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nessus posted:

I've been arguing this for a long while - when you look at each decade in the 20th century you had incredible leaps in both practice and theory, e.g. flight and theory of relativity. By the end of the 20th century you have full on cloning happening. But with every company having an eye for nothing but short term profits it seems like the big jumps have been just shrinking computers down even more and putting them in our pockets and that's about it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Finally watched the first episode of "Silicon Valley" last night and found it horribly on point. The point where the guy from the startup says it's about "changing the world"? I've been to so many tech talks where the speaker defends their app that tracks your lost socks by saying that. Or that they're making the world a better place / remembering the human element / telling a story, etc.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

mastershakeman posted:

I've been arguing this for a long while - when you look at each decade in the 20th century you had incredible leaps in both practice and theory, e.g. flight and theory of relativity. By the end of the 20th century you have full on cloning happening. But with every company having an eye for nothing but short term profits it seems like the big jumps have been just shrinking computers down even more and putting them in our pockets and that's about it.

I think in the late 19th century/early 20th century we had a great explosion of advances in the what I'll call 'the physical science of real life' and those advances eventually worked themselves into real technologies which affected how people lived their lives.

In contrast, now progress in physical science has slowed down, and all of the low-hanging fruit has been picked, and physicists have not been studying 'the science of real life.' Instead, over the past 50 years or so they have been focusing on esoteric stuff like the Higgs Boson, which cannot really be engineered, and is barely detectable only inside of a massive billion dollar machine, or gravity waves, which are very weak effects, and can only be detected inside of a massive billion dollar machine. Not a lot of technology is gonna come from those types of things.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nessus posted:

Looks like the big problem is it was on Google Glass, whose main market niche was SF techlords and the Frieza Force

Nah, it's on phones too, I used it and it was very useful to read signs and stuff. It's a nice gimmick to save some typing in places that use the same alphabet as us but it was actually for real useful in china.

But the thing about it is that on a scale of like 20 or 30 years it's a power that someone would show a literal wizard having.

But now it's a cool novelty with some good usefulness when traveling. Because each independent part is already a few years old so we already are basically bored and over it and waiting for the next thing. The in scene replacement of text in an augmented reality sort of way is honestly the most gut level impressive to me since machine translation has been slowly improving forever and OCR is decades old. Although both the OCR and the machine translation are hundreds of times better than they were even ten years ago. The most minor feature of it, the in scene replacement is the only part that even registers as being "new".

Magical wonderous stuff is coming out so fast that we just don't care about most of it anymore, because we live in an age of wonders already.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Same thing with video chat - people have been dreaming about it for a century but now it's here, for free, and nobody gives a poo poo. I skyped with my grandfather while I was at Cape Point in South Africa and it was neat but didn't blow anyone's mind any more. We've had phones, cell phone and webcams for decades now so now the seamless combination is, while impressive, hardly revolutionary.

We've just reached the point of diminishing return so while one guy could've built a steam engine by himself, now it takes huge, highly educated teams decades to make any advances in any established technology. Not because they're lazy or evil capitalists, but because this poo poo is really hard. Still, I think we're actually making great progress all-around and there's even more cool poo poo to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

silence_kit posted:

I think in the late 19th century/early 20th century we had a great explosion of advances in the what I'll call 'the physical science of real life' and those advances eventually worked themselves into real technologies which affected how people lived their lives.

In contrast, now progress in physical science has slowed down, and all of the low-hanging fruit has been picked, and physicists have not been studying 'the science of real life.' Instead, over the past 50 years or so they have been focusing on esoteric stuff like the Higgs Boson, which cannot really be engineered, and is barely detectable only inside of a massive billion dollar machine, or gravity waves, which are very weak effects, and can only be detected inside of a massive billion dollar machine. Not a lot of technology is gonna come from those types of things.

This is dumb. When Hertz first discovered EM waves he said it was a curiosity that wouldn't amount to much. Now, you would have to pick up a 130 year-old book to figure out how you'd live your life without them. It is true that you aren't going to have a Higgs factory heating your lunch any time soon. But the advances that go in to building giant discovery science accelerators are legion and end in everything from semiconductor processing to cancer treatment. Yeah, I guess if you want to argue that physicists aren't focusing on "small lab" science that might be held in the hands of the masses, and instead are working on "esoteric" science you can show how little you know about how modern science works.

A lot of the "everyday" inventions got there because someone was willing to pay to invent them, like the klystron (at Stanford) and semiconductor transistors (at Bell Labs). Nowadays, the guys working at Stanford can still sorta get that money (in a fiercely more competitive environment) and the guys who would be at Bell Labs are making fart apps or routines for targeting ads on Facebook. Advancement has slowed down primarily because no one can justify it on their quarterly sheets anymore.