Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Forgall posted:

This... has nothing to do with what the post you are replying to said?
It's a generic reply to a generic complaint about our media.

The national news media of the current global hegemon is totally unfit for purpose and helps to hasten our destruction. But, it's the best we can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

gfsincere posted:

For when people think racist white people are stupid and ignorant of history: cheerleaders reference the trail of tears to their opponents at a home game and even call it a part 2.

That means they knew what it was, knew it was about Native Americans, and could make all those connections.

Racist white people aren't stupid, they are just awful, and generally most white people are racist. So so many people had to see that sign beforehand and no one had a problem with it.

"It's political correctness gone mad!" :supaburn:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kilroy posted:

It's a generic reply to a generic complaint about our media.

The national news media of the current global hegemon is totally unfit for purpose and helps to hasten our destruction. But, it's the best we can do.

So should JC merge with Helios?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Crowsbeak posted:

That's just a video game.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Leng posted:

Most times when I'm having an awful day, I look at Clinton and I feel absolutely inspired, because no matter what sexism I experienced that day, Clinton undoubtedly has it a million times worse - and she just shrugs it off like a boss and keeps going.

Other times - like right now - it's just honestly disheartening. If it was simply the age-old matter of "a woman has to be twice as good to be considered half as competent as a man", fine. I can deal with that. It's unfair, but life is unfair, and it's not such an insurmountable deterrence. The fact that Clinton, first female US presidential candidate, who is objectively the most qualified candidate ever in this position still has to put up with this crap against Trump, who is objectively the least qualified candidate ever, is just mind-boggling. On days like this, seeing the double standards play out, just makes me want to throw in the towel. Clinton is a million times smarter, more ambitious, more capable, more competent and has greater grit and tenacity than I ever have or ever will - yet she still can't conquer this myth of being equal to or less than Donald Trump of all people. If she has no hope, then neither do I nor any other woman.
This email thing resurfacing and the media going along with it despite there being literally nothing to report and it being known that Comey and the FBI haven't even been able to look at these emails yet, so there is zero reason to even suspect anything illegal, is really just classic Republican swiftboating bullshit. It's not really very different than what happened to Kerry.

So, I mean, if it makes you feel better, I think this particular instance is just regular Republican partisan deplorable behavior, and not misogynist deplorable behavior.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

gfsincere posted:

For when people think racist white people are stupid and ignorant of history: cheerleaders reference the trail of tears to their opponents at a home game and even call it a part 2.

That means they knew what it was, knew it was about Native Americans, and could make all those connections.

Racist white people aren't stupid, they are just awful, and generally most white people are racist. So so many people had to see that sign beforehand and no one had a problem with it.

To be honest I'm surprised high school students even know what the Trail of Tears is.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Crowsbeak posted:

I would

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Inferior Third Season posted:

This email thing resurfacing and the media going along with it despite there being literally nothing to report and it being known that Comey and the FBI haven't even been able to look at these emails yet, so there is zero reason to even suspect anything illegal, is really just classic Republican swiftboating bullshit. It's not really very different than what happened to Kerry.

So, I mean, if it makes you feel better, I think this particular instance is just regular Republican partisan deplorable behavior, and not misogynist deplorable behavior.
I think it's not Comey's behaviour that's the issue, but the fact that it even matters. Like, even if the dumbest Republican conspiracy theories about the emails were completely true, she would still be a vastly superior candidate to Trump in every possible way. And I think a sexist double standard does play a major part in why it's not being reported that way and why people aren't seeing it that way. (Alongside the "horse-race narrative" bullshit, of course.)

e: Interesting article from the Guardian reporting on a Trump rally:

quote:

A couple of hundred feet away, in full view of the trucks, thousands of supporters patiently line up to hear their idol. Many of them have been here for hours. Many have small children in tow, including Jillian Major, a school food provider (“I’m a lunch lady”) who has an eight-month-old son in her arms and her daughter, 10, standing by her side.

What does Major think of the flood of revelations about Trump’s sexual indiscretions? I ask, trying to keep my voice down so that the girl won’t hear. “Hillary Clinton’s still married to Bill,” the mother replies, unflustered, “and he had oral sex in the White House, so she can’t say anything.”

Isn’t she worried about the impact on her daughter of potentially having someone in the White House who brags about groping women’s genitals? “I’ll teach my own daughter to be independent and stand up for herself; that’s my job, not the president’s.”

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 30, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pumpinglemma posted:

I think it's not Comey's behaviour that's the issue, but the fact that it even matters. Like, even if the dumbest Republican conspiracy theories about the emails were completely true, she would still be a vastly superior candidate to Trump in every possible way.

Yeah, there's really nothing at this point that could come out that would make me think that Hillary is not a vastly superior candidate to Trump. Even if it turned out she really had been killing people like right-wing conspiracy nuts believe.

Don't. gently caress. This. Up. America.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

people getting the vapors over nothing emails while their saint committed actual treason (with the same country trump keeps crying about obummer giving money to for something that happened when he was like 10) is just the best.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

people getting the vapors over nothing emails while their saint committed actual treason (with the same country trump keeps crying about obummer giving money to for something that happened when he was like 10) is just the best.

what

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How much did the Iran Contra actually get investigated?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

An Iran-Contra reference.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

freckle posted:

An Iran-Contra reference.

ah I parsed that as being about trump rather than reagan, carry on.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

And I think a sexist double standard does play a major part in why it's not being reported that way and why people aren't seeing it that way.
Kerry was a decorated war veteran, and Bush was a draft dodger, and look at how that was treated by the media and how people saw it. Republicans do this poo poo every time, and people buy into it every time. There has been plenty of misogyny during this campaign, but this is not a good example, because we've seen men dragged through the mud by lies and innuendo plenty of times before.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Complaint Compilation posted:

:stare:

Ok:

I'll not apologize for being cheesy, if you've got the time, listen to this. pro-est click.

As someone who was pretty much raised by wolves, and has been without a home before, the grace given by strangers is the only reason I post here and make my lovely jokes, with too many smilies.
MOTHER OF EXILES. That has always meant so much, struck me hard. Turning away people who require help, serious help, is beyond abysmal if the reason is "I'm scared, they're different!" :ohdear:

sry.

It's a statue of a white woman welcoming other white people to a land that wasn't theirs in the first place.

What's inspirational about that?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Inferior Third Season posted:

Kerry was a decorated war veteran, and Bush was a draft dodger, and look at how that was treated by the media and how people saw it. Republicans do this poo poo every time, and people buy into it every time. There has been plenty of misogyny during this campaign, but this is not a good example, because we've seen men dragged through the mud by lies and innuendo plenty of times before.

Plus Palin got some of the same leeway Trump is getting now when she was running with McCain. I still think a good part of the anti-Clinton movement is motivated by systemic sexism, but looking at past elections, if Clinton were a man the email poo poo wouldn't look too different, I'd wager.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

People give absolutely zero shits about actual vets. They only support the theoretical spectre of Are Troops. Being a war veteran means nothing to the average American voter.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Squeegy posted:

People give absolutely zero shits about actual vets. They only support the theoretical spectre of Are Troops. Being a war veteran means nothing to the average American voter.

This. It's like all the flag worship or the anti-abortion crowd rejecting any welfare for kids: hiding behind a symbol or vague idea to excuse having to do anything positive while still looking good on the surface.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

People say the stupidest poo poo because of cognitive dissonance.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm out of the loop, what the hell is all this about new emails?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm gonna estimate you will get 15 responses including the phrase nothing:burger:

But nevertheless, thread is now more shook than Shook Nate

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Admiral Joeslop posted:

FBI director trying to influence the election

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Squeegy posted:

FBI director trying to influence the election
Badly. Clinton turned it around to being about him in a matter of hours.

edit: from the BBC

Looks like righteous indignation if I ever saw it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 30, 2016

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
A haiku:

We need a horse race
Trump self kill shot too early
Emails will make cash

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Looks like during the Weiner investigation for sexting a minor, the FBI came across Abedin's emails as well, some of which are relevant to the Clinton email investigation. Since Comey had previously testified to Congress that the investigation was completed, he felt the need to inform them of the new emails and did that in a stupid way. Thread is now being idiots about this. A good analysis is here:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/james-comey-hillary-clinton-and-email-investigation-guide-perplexed

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

gfsincere posted:

It's a statue of a white woman welcoming other white people to a land that wasn't theirs in the first place.

Jesus christ man, it's a nice sentiment that exemplifies some of the best qualities of America, to accept people that are different from you and open your arms to the less fortunate. No need to piss all over it just because you have a chip on your shoulder.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

People keep saying this, but news sites are still running with bullshit inaccurate headlines.

http://www.cnn.com/

THEY'RE BOTH SO FLAWED

SAME THING BOTH SIDES

Even loving MSNBC is doing it

http://www.msnbc.com/

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

McCloud posted:

Jesus christ man, it's a nice sentiment that exemplifies some of the best qualities of America, to accept people that are different from you and open your arms to the less fortunate. No need to piss all over it just because you have a chip on your shoulder.

Not sure if I'd call slavery and genocide a chip on a shoulder, tbh. But of course a message of solidarity with the poor and homeless can still sound inspirational even if it's build on a rotten foundation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: from the BBC

Looks like righteous indignation if I ever saw it.

This is some of the headlines. Some of them have used it as an excuse to go back to 'BOTH CANDIDATES FLAWED'.

It will do some minor damage and Clinton will be president.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Doing some research on downballot races. The Dem. house candidate in my (suburban Atlanta, safe Republican) district runs what seems to be an unacreddited ramshackle college (named after himself, natch), which makes me immediately suspicious. Should I vote for him anyway, or abstain, knowing that my vote won't change a thing?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The main damage this e-mail bullshit will do is get Republicans fired back up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

skylined! posted:

A haiku:

We need a horse race
Trump self kill shot too early
Emails will make cash

I hope Trump starts Trump TV and takes his idiot fanbase with him, and that it hurts the bottom line of all the news companies that have breathlessly reported on him and buoyed his campaign for ratings and $$$.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gfsincere posted:

she's green and before that was very tan. bronzed you might say.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Night10194 posted:

The main damage this e-mail bullshit will do is get Republicans fired back up.

Democratic enthusiasm will also take a large hit. I know several anti-Trump people who have already said they are no longer going to vote. The combination of a fired up right and depressed left will almost certainly keep the Senate in GOP hands even if the presidency is a bridge too far.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TyrantWD posted:

Democratic enthusiasm will also take a large hit. I know several anti-Trump people who have already said they are no longer going to vote. The combination of a fired up right and depressed left will almost certainly keep the Senate in GOP hands even if the presidency is a bridge too far.

Toxx on it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

TyrantWD posted:

TyrantWD posted:

I honestly can't blame the Republicans for obstructing - even to the point of no new SC justices. Ultimately, they are just carrying out the will of their constituents.

Also toxx.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Squeegy posted:

I hope Trump starts Trump TV and takes his idiot fanbase with him, and that it hurts the bottom line of all the news companies that have breathlessly reported on him and buoyed his campaign for ratings and $$$.

It's just too Trump for him to not announce TrumpTV during his live broadcasted concession speech, which will be him ripping into the media, and also pushing the RIGGED!!! narrative which will fuel the first month or two of TrumpTV coverage.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The morning news sure isn't taking a hatchet to Comey today. In my time watching they haven't even mentioned how unusual it is for him to do what he did. Even showing clips of Hillary's response speech without the anti-Comey part, focusing on the "factored in" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

The morning news sure isn't taking a hatchet to Comey today. In my time watching they haven't even mentioned how unusual it is for him to do what he did. Even showing clips of Hillary's response speech without the anti-Comey part, focusing on the "factored in" part.

Yeah. Meet the Press was pretty much full on pushing that this is a disaster for Hillary.

• Locked thread