Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

HannibalBarca posted:

Doing some research on downballot races. The Dem. house candidate in my (suburban Atlanta, safe Republican) district runs what seems to be an unacreddited ramshackle college (named after himself, natch), which makes me immediately suspicious. Should I vote for him anyway, or abstain, knowing that my vote won't change a thing?

Vote anyway because it's a vote for Speaker of the House Pelosi instead of Ryan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

gfsincere posted:

It's a statue of a white woman welcoming other white people to a land that wasn't theirs in the first place.

What's inspirational about that?

Seriously? That's where you're going with this?

We all know that this nation was founded on racism, inequality, and atrocities. No one disputes that here. However, this is a sentiment that we could rise above that and make something good and welcoming despite it at and all you see is a chance to air your grievances in hr most petty way? I am a slave descendant and also have Native American blood. I know that pretty much all of this country's history has been dedicated to attacking my ancestors. I still believe in the ideals of a place that all could be welcomed and equal. It's a beautiful sentiment that I hope we could someday live up to. It's something to aspire to rather than sit around and let bitterness consume us. I'm not suggesting just forgiving all the country's crimes. Just that we could believe that the chance to eventually grow into a country worthy of those words is something to at least hope for.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 30, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

gfsincere posted:

It's a statue of a white woman welcoming other white people to a land that wasn't theirs in the first place.

What's inspirational about that?

Would... would you prefer there not be a statue welcoming immigrants? Do you just want everyone to leave, pack up and go to countries that ironically enough aren't ours in the first place? What's your goal with this comment, I don't get it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Print News is being a little more accurate. Give it a day or two to shift, but goddamn the media has made this hurt more than it should.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TyrantWD posted:

Democratic enthusiasm will also take a large hit. I know several anti-Trump people who have already said they are no longer going to vote. The combination of a fired up right and depressed left will almost certainly keep the Senate in GOP hands even if the presidency is a bridge too far.

These people wouldn't have voted HRC anyway. There is literally nothing of substance in this new "investigation" so they were basically waiting for the word email to pop in a headline to justify not voting Clinton.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Some new polls/news:
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/792603574010249216

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/792719112417992704

this one though:
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/792719836174581761

:chanpop:

11 point swing seems nuts, but it's a tracking poll. So take that as you will.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

J-Spot posted:

Yeah. Meet the Press was pretty much full on pushing that this is a disaster for Hillary.
Holy poo poo, even now?

American TV news is so bad. Is there any sign that they might change someday?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

That Old Tree posted:

Voting area sanctity also helps protect other people from getting their poo poo snapped when they should absolutely be able to expect enhanced privacy.

This, plus simple time factors. If someone is excited to vote and wants to share their vote, they can write about it, talk about it, share their list of candidate choices, etc. Trying to make a ballot selfie look cool or interesting is pretty much impossible, so they'll definitely waste time and possibly violate someone else's privacy, trying to get a 'good' pic.

My early voting site had a wait over half an hour. Other locations that week in the same state had waits over four hours. Ballot selfies are some :jerkbag: poo poo when your state is run by Republicans who are doing everything legally possible (and more!) to suppress voters.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Tracking polls are utter garbage in determining the size of swings (or the current predictable vote totals). That being said, they can detect the EXISTENCE of swings, which is why it's fairly safe to say that the race has trended towards Trump over the past week, as the third debate fades from memory.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy poo poo, even now?

American TV news is so bad. Is there any sign that they might change someday?

No. Never. They made a huge amount of money this cycle.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Geostomp posted:

Seriously? That's where you're going with this?

We all know that this nation was founded on racism, inequality, and atrocities. No one disputes that here. However, this is a sentiment that we could rise above that and make something good and welcoming despite it at and all you see is a chance to air your grievances in hr most petty way? I am a slave descendant and also have Native American blood. I know that pretty much all of this country's history has been dedicated to attacking my ancestors. I still believe in the ideals of a place that all could be welcomed and equal. It's a beautiful sentiment that I hope we could someday live up to. It's something to aspire to rather than sit around and let bitterness consume us. I'm not suggesting just forgiving all the country's crimes. Just that we could believe that the chance to eventually grow into a country worthy of those words is something to at least hope for.

That's great but what about Hillary's emails????

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Q/E

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I had a dream last night that Trump suspended his campaign.

I was so sad this morning when I woke up and it wasn't true.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

botany posted:

Not sure if I'd call slavery and genocide a chip on a shoulder, tbh. But of course a message of solidarity with the poor and homeless can still sound inspirational even if it's build on a rotten foundation.

Most people (if not all) in this thread would agree Americas history and founding is anything other than rosy. It's still bad form to cynically sneer at someone that finds the statue of liberty inspiring. Its message just as relevant today and its one that should be taken to heart, instead of dismissed because it's a statue of a white lady. I like gfsincere's posting, but that was a real loving dumb thing to say.

On an unrelated note, has the recent e-mail thing hurt the downticket races? I've given up hope on winning the house, but the senate is still likely to flip D right? Lie to me if you have to :ohdear:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, I wouldn't count on the emails thing suppressing the dem turnout. Partisan hardening works both ways and dems have had months and months to hate Trump and the GOP.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Even the Sankei news, the most conservative news source I read over here, says right away that this is unprecedented and the Justice Department is criticizing the FBI.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Even the Sankei news, the most conservative news source I read over here, says right away that this is unprecedented and the Justice Department is criticizing the FBI.

Print news and websites mostly have that kind of thing right now while it appears TV news is going for the drama for the moment.

It might change by tomorrow. They love changing up the storyline, after all.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
CBS (10/26-28)

Arizona

Trump 44 (+2)
Clinton 42
J 4
S 1

Colorado

Clinton 42 (+3)
Trump 39
J 7
S 2

North Carolina

Clinton 48 (+3)
Trump 45
J 3

Pennsylvania

Clinton 48 (+8)
Trump 40
J 5
S 2

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Also, I wouldn't count on the emails thing suppressing the dem turnout. Partisan hardening works both ways and dems have had months and months to hate Trump and the GOP.

Hillary had leads beyond partisan hardening because she was making headway in traditionally GOP demographics like college whites and suburban white women. Those are the people that get peeled off by this story.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

McCloud posted:

Most people (if not all) in this thread would agree Americas history and founding is anything other than rosy. It's still bad form to cynically sneer at someone that finds the statue of liberty inspiring. Its message just as relevant today and its one that should be taken to heart, instead of dismissed because it's a statue of a white lady. I like gfsincere's posting, but that was a real loving dumb thing to say.

Like I said, it's an inspirational message set up on a foundation of slavery and genocide. Both of those things are part of the picture and it's perfectly acceptable to remind ourselves of both. You chose to focus on the message, gfsincere chose to focus on the history. I don't see a problem with that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Northjayhawk posted:

CBS (10/26-28)

Arizona

Trump 44 (+2)
Clinton 42
J 4
S 1

Colorado

Clinton 42 (+3)
Trump 39
J 7
S 2

North Carolina

Clinton 48 (+3)
Trump 45
J 3

Pennsylvania

Clinton 48 (+8)
Trump 40
J 5
S 2

Arizona aside, those look really good.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
2 points in Arizona looks to be within the Margin of Error.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pastrymancy posted:

2 points in Arizona looks to be within the Margin of Error.

Yep, means still winnable.

It's amazing to think if the election had been held like 2 weeks ago it would've been a historic blowout, now we're probably looking at 2012 plus a couple points unless Trump does something amazingly stupid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

or if the director of the fbi wasn't a fuckboy.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Before we all panic some more (stolen from CSPAM):

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/792727578251517952

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

or if the director of the fbi wasn't a fuckboy.

Polls were trending towards Trump before that happened, though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

We take a break from arguing whether or not the Statue of Liberty is a Klan member to bring you this SNEAK PREVIEW of Game Change III, coming to your local bookstore next summer:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/792704892821536768

And here's the reporting from the night he spent "stranded" in Indy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Night10194 posted:

It's amazing to think if the election had been held like 2 weeks ago it would've been a historic blowout, now we're probably looking at 2012 plus a couple points unless Trump does something amazingly stupid.

I dunno, we still don't have a lot of polling data after the email stuff. I'm still hopeful that the only people who are feeding off the new email nonsense were already voting for trump, or are idiot undecideds and are volatile regardless of what is in the news.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Try as I might, I can't come up with any reason to be mad about the emails. Maybe it's just a childhood spent watching The X-Files, but I fully expect secrecy and Byzantine machinations from my government, and it doesn't bother me a bit

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Hello, what have we here?

https://twitter.com/bodysculptorokc/status/792614856507613184

gah, nevermind, article doesn't support tweet. Hannibal was lied to. And he believed it! SAD!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Before we all panic some more (stolen from CSPAM):

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/792727578251517952

That's some good news.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Night10194 posted:

The crazy thing is how quickly everyone forgets each new trump scandal. Oh he's a racist? that was so six months ago. Oh he's a rapist? That was so two weeks ago.

It's like the whole goddam country has a traumatic brain injury and can't focus on anything for more than three seconds.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Quorum posted:

We take a break from arguing whether or not the Statue of Liberty is a Klan member to bring you this SNEAK PREVIEW of Game Change III, coming to your local bookstore next summer:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/792704892821536768

And here's the reporting from the night he spent "stranded" in Indy.

So once more we see how hard it is to get Trump to do anything halfway competent looking rather than recruit more yes-men lackies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The crazy thing is how quickly everyone forgets each new trump scandal. Oh he's a racist? that was so six months ago. Oh he's a rapist? That was so two weeks ago.

It's like the whole goddam country has a traumatic brain injury and can't focus on anything for more than three seconds.

this is the guy that's survived doing/saying at least 50 things that would've immediately tanked any other nominee in history.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

skylined! posted:

I dunno, we still don't have a lot of polling data after the email stuff. I'm still hopeful that the only people who are feeding off the new email nonsense were already voting for trump, or are idiot undecideds and are volatile regardless of what is in the news.

Oh, I'm not talking about the e-mails, I'm talking about 2 more weeks for the GOP's voters to go 'Ehhh...SUPREME COURT!' and talk themselves into going orange.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

That and/or people just don't give a poo poo about anything anymore. :geno:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

They sure can focus on Clinton's e-mails for more than 3 seconds...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is the guy that's survived doing/saying at least 50 things that would've immediately tanked any other nominee in history.

Honestly, I don't think this is correct or true.

I think what we're seeing with Trump is how heavy partisan polarization has become. They KNOW he's a piece of poo poo. Look at how few people will say he has the temperament or qualifications to be president in polls, even polls he's doing okay in. Just, well, he's got that R. Any R candidate would get the same at this point, Trump's just an extreme example.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Crow Jane posted:

Try as I might, I can't come up with any reason to be mad about the emails. Maybe it's just a childhood spent watching The X-Files, but I fully expect secrecy and Byzantine machinations from my government, and it doesn't bother me a bit

The evening of inauguration day, President Hillary Clinton invites all of the House Republicans to watch an exhibition match at RFK Stadium-- sponsored, of course, by Nike. The sound system plays broken snippets of Trump speeches on a tortured loop. The members of the House Freedom Caucus are getting antsy. "Let's just go make some second amendment solutions," one is heard to say. As they move to leave, they find all of the gates closed, except for one... and Hillary, resplendent in her purple pantsuit, doesn't so much as smile as she signals the National Guard to move in.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Oh, I'm not talking about the e-mails, I'm talking about 2 more weeks for the GOP's voters to go 'Ehhh...SUPREME COURT!' and talk themselves into going orange.

This was pretty much always going to happen. What's interesting is that every time it gets close, Hillary's soft support, the people who want her to win but don't want to sully themselves with a vote for Killary Kkklinton, start to come back around. I think that, with the flurry of polling you get right around election day, you'll see that here, too-- if people go into the voting booth hearing it's within a few points nationally or maybe even within a point or two in their state, they'll be less likely to vote for Wi-Fi Gremlins or What's An Aleppo.

But what do I know, undecided and third party voters make their decisions on the whims of chance and the flights of birds, so predicting their movements is inherently impossible, like attempting to compute quantum behaviors with a classical model.

• Locked thread